• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chaps80

CAR vs WSH - Series Thread

Rate this topic

On 4/18/2019 at 11:19 PM, GMRwings1983 said:

They either go deep in the playoffs or don't make the playoffs.  That's their history it seems.

Does seem that way.

I think it's just that sense of nearly-perpetual futility that holds them down and prevents them from really growing their fan base. String together some playoff appearances and make some noise in them and I think business will boom. They'll never be a top market, but I think they can be much bigger than they've been.

Star power is the real key, I guess. They've lacked it, they've needed it, and now they might finally be getting it with guys like Aho (still not really a household name...yet) and Svechnikov. Even in '06 they were basically a misfit blue-collar Cinderella team that did things by committee.

Oshie's out indefinitely:

https://www.nhl.com/news/tj-oshie-out-indefinitely-for-capitals-wont-play-game-5-against-hurricanes/c-306897762?tid=306191616

That's a big loss for the Caps. Oof.

Is it just me or did each team's luck turn when Ovi took down Svechnikov? In hindsight, maybe Ovi really shouldn't have fought the kid. Doesn't really give Caps Nation much to cheer about (congrats, your 300-pound gorilla took down a rookie who'd never fought an NHLer) and very much DOES give Hurricanes Nation something to rally around.

Edited by Dabura

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

The great irony, of course, is that everyone took one look at last season's Vegas roster after the expansion draft and said they were going to be historically awful. That's why I wouldn't expect Seattle to have the same success straight out of the gate. GMs are probably going to be more careful and conservative re: the expansion draft. Teams aren't going to take them as lightly as they probably took the Knights.

Of course, again, everyone thought last season's Vegas team was going to be terrible, so maybe it doesn't even matter how the expansion draft goes. Maybe there's just some weird cosmic energy that comes with being an expansion team in this day and age. And if that's the case and Seattle has a Vegas-like first run, I guess I'd expect some owners to be a bit miffed. They'd have no one to blame but themselves, though. They own Bettman, so they own all the league's successes and failures and controversies.

Yeah, Vegas made what ended up being some huge steals in that expansion draft, whether roster players, prospects, or picks, but I think a lot of that was GMs just not being prepared for it. They only had the rules set up in early 2016 (rules designed to make the new franchise more competitive out of the gate compared to previous drafts by limiting protections even further) and the league couldn't give a definitive date at that time on when the new franchise would begin play. Then the draft ended up taking place at the end of the 2016-17 season. No one wants to give anything away of course, and every team has to, but there are ways to minimize the loss when you have time to do so. The league is a buisiness that needs the best chance to succeed wherever it expands to in the end though, and opinions will always be mixed on if the Vegas success story was a good thing or a bad thing.

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

Does seem that way.

I think it's just that sense of nearly-perpetual futility that holds them down and prevents them from really growing their fan base. String together some playoff appearances and make some noise in them and I think business will boom. They'll never be a top market, but I think they can be much bigger than they've been.

Star power is the real key, I guess. They've lacked it, they've needed it, and now they might finally be getting it with guys like Aho (still not really a household name...yet) and Svechnikov. Even in '06 they were basically a misfit blue-collar Cinderella team that did things by committee.

For the most part I agree, but they did have Eric Staal who at that time was a legit star. He scored 100 points that year, and was 7th in the NHL in points.

4 minutes ago, kliq said:

For the most part I agree, but they did have Eric Staal who at that time was a legit star. He scored 100 points that year, and was 7th in the NHL in points.

And Ward in his rookie season taking them all the way after Gerber imploded.

On 4/20/2019 at 11:40 PM, kliq said:

Fair enough. I'd forgotten he was that good at the time.

I legit thought Ovie was gonna take a season ending cheap shot at someone last night. Once the game was out of reach and he didn't care anymore, he got ejected for telling off the ref, but I suspect it was more than that in the ref's mind. Just go cool down.

4 hours ago, chaps80 said:

I legit thought Ovie was gonna take a season ending cheap shot at someone last night. Once the game was out of reach and he didn't care anymore, he got ejected for telling off the ref, but I suspect it was more than that in the ref's mind. Just go cool down.

Show of hands: Who here thought this series would feature any bad blood?

EDIT: Oops, I said "game," meant to say "series."

Edited by Dabura

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

Fair enough. I'd forgotten he was that good at the time.

I agree with your overall point though, Staal was no Crosby or McDavid type of player, and other then him it was mostly second tier players between Stillman, a 35 year old Brind'amour, Cole, Cullen, a 37 year old Recchi, Williams, a 35 year old Doug Weight,Whitney etc.

I enjoyed watching that team though, a lot of vets that I really liked at the time.

1 minute ago, kliq said:

I agree with your overall point though, Staal was no Crosby or McDavid type of player, and other then him it was mostly second tier players between Stillman, a 35 year old Brind'amour, Cole, Cullen, a 37 year old Recchi, Williams, a 35 year old Doug Weight,Whitney etc.

I enjoyed watching that team though, a lot of vets that I really liked at the time.

The more time passes, the more I feel that team really stands out as an outlier. I don't mean that in a "Their Cup doesn't count!" way. If anything, it's a very serious compliment. Winning a Cup without overwhelming star power is almost unheard of, whether we're talking pre-2005 or post-2005.

36 minutes ago, amato said:

Mr Game Seven is ready to lead his jerks back to the promised land. Canes winning the cup in 28 games. 

Hell, why not. Everyone's brackets are busted anyway. :paperbag3:

35 minutes ago, Dabura said:

The more time passes, the more I feel that team really stands out as an outlier. I don't mean that in a "Their Cup doesn't count!" way. If anything, it's a very serious compliment. Winning a Cup without overwhelming star power is almost unheard of, whether we're talking pre-2005 or post-2005.

Hell, why not. Everyone's brackets are busted anyway. :paperbag3:

Yep haha really though, I think I have a shot if the Canes beat the sharks for the cup. 

Have the Canes winning the first two rounds and the sharks losing in the cup final. Just probably also need teams no one picked making it to the conference finals.. If the last four are the jerks, Sharks, CBJ and Dallas, I like my chances in the pools I'm in :P