Dabura

WPG vs STL - Series Thread

Rate this topic

Blues are outshooting the Jets 22-6.

1 minute ago, Echolalia said:

you are running this thread boss

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack

Schwartz scores, again. Blues lead 2-0.

Schwartz has scored the past three goals in this series.

Edited by Dabura

I mean, I know one cares, but what the Blues are doing right now is pretty impressive. That they're even in the playoffs is kind of nuts. At one point in the season, the Blues were firmly in the league basement. Now they're on the verge of taking out the team that many picked to win the Cup in their pre-season predictions.

I don't mind STL, but it'd hard to get excited about any playoff success they ever have, because they always find a way to screw it up. That franchise has had so many cup-ready rosters over the years and failed hard.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

I don't mind STL, but it'd hard to get excited about any playoff success they ever have, because they always find a way to screw it up. That franchise has had so many cup-ready rosters over the years and failed hard.

That's true but I wouldn't say they screw it up.  They never have the talent or goaltending that the other teams have.  They're never deep at center and lack the superstar power.  Tarasenko is good and many of their players are playing well right now, but will they get enough scoring or goaltending to go all the way?  

20 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

That's true but I wouldn't say they screw it up.  They never have the talent or goaltending that the other teams have.  They're never deep at center and lack the superstar power.  Tarasenko is good and many of their players are playing well right now, but will they get enough scoring or goaltending to go all the way?  

They had some pretty deep rosters in the 2000s for a bit. Won the Presidents Trophy back when Pronger was Norris calibre. He may even have won it the same season. Can't recall. They bowed out early. Then made the West Finals in 2016 and were looking strong but blew it against SJ, who are chokers themselves. Stastny, Backes and Lehtera were their top 3 centres. Not the best in the league, but solid. Tarasenko, Steen, Brouwer, Schwartz, Fabbri, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Bouwmeester. Elliott was strong in goal. No reason they couldn't have beat SJ. Pittsburgh would have been tough for them in the Final though. The Blues have a Cup draught as long as Toronto's. Only '67 expansion team that's still around that hasn't won at least one. That's pretty bad. 

6 hours ago, xault said:

Trouba is a RFA right? Do we have what it would take to grab him and can we afford it?

We should try to pry Bobrovsky away from Columbus. Pipe dream, I know. Plus he's gonna want paid.

2 hours ago, chaps80 said:

They had some pretty deep rosters in the 2000s for a bit. Won the Presidents Trophy back when Pronger was Norris calibre. He may even have won it the same season. Can't recall. They bowed out early. Then made the West Finals in 2016 and were looking strong but blew it against SJ, who are chokers themselves. Stastny, Backes and Lehtera were their top 3 centres. Not the best in the league, but solid. Tarasenko, Steen, Brouwer, Schwartz, Fabbri, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Bouwmeester. Elliott was strong in goal. No reason they couldn't have beat SJ. Pittsburgh would have been tough for them in the Final though. The Blues have a Cup draught as long as Toronto's. Only '67 expansion team that's still around that hasn't won at least one. That's pretty bad. 

We should try to pry Bobrovsky away from Columbus. Pipe dream, I know. Plus he's gonna want paid.

The problem with that era was that Detroit, Colorado, and Dallas always had better rosters. Even in 2000 the Blues were not the favorites going into the playoffs.

They had a good team in 2016, but once again, I don't see a lot of star power there versus some of the other teams.  Other than Tarasenko, they didn't really have another star player.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

The problem with that era was that Detroit, Colorado, and Dallas always had better rosters. Even in 2000 the Blues were not the favorites going into the playoffs.

They had a good team in 2016, but once again, I don't see a lot of star power there versus some of the other teams.  Other than Tarasenko, they didn't really have another star player.  

I think with the Blues it's not so much about 'star power', or the lack  of...I think it's more like fear...As in - if they f**k up - they will take a beating from Coach Berube.

10 hours ago, F.Michael said:

I think with the Blues it's not so much about 'star power', or the lack  of...I think it's more like fear...As in - if they f**k up - they will take a beating from Coach Berube.

They can always call Paul Laus.  

On 4/21/2019 at 2:46 PM, xault said:

Trouba is a RFA right? Do we have what it would take to grab him and can we afford it?

Currently an RFA, can become a UFA next summer. If the Wings are interested in him, the smart play is to wait until next summer and try to sign him to a not-insane deal. That would mean we risk losing him to another team in a sign-and-trade, but, personally, I'm really not sure it's worth giving the Jets what they'd probably want. Specifically, I'm guessing the ask would be something like Mantha/Athanasiou/Hronek + pick/prospect. Maybe that trade makes some sense in a vaccum, but knowing Trouba can and probably will hit the market next summer as a free man, I just think it makes more sense to wait. If another team trades for him and we miss the boat, oh well.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:47 PM, Dabura said:

Currently an RFA, can become a UFA next summer. If the Wings are interested in him, the smart play is to wait until next summer and try to sign him to a not-insane deal. That would mean we risk losing him to another team in a sign-and-trade, but, personally, I'm really not sure it's worth giving the Jets what they'd probably want. Specifically, I'm guessing the ask would be something like Mantha/Athanasiou/Hronek + pick/prospect. Maybe that trade makes some sense in a vaccum, but knowing Trouba can and probably will hit the market next summer as a free man, I just think it makes more sense to wait. If another team trades for him and we miss the boat, oh well.

I highly doubt Trouba will sign a 1 year with the Jets. In his position he'd probably wait for an offer sheet b4 signing a 1 year.

This will be interesting to watch. Holland is gone and wild card Yzerman is in the building.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I highly doubt Trouba will sign a 1 year with the Jets. In his position he'd probably wait for an offer sheet b4 signing a 1 year.

This will be interesting to watch. Holland is gone and wild card Yzerman is in the building.

I don't think Yzerman will offer sheet anyone. He said, he's not looking for any quick fixes, so hopefully he stays true to that. I don't think we should offer sheet anyone, unless it's for less than $4,059,322 (2nd round pick compensation). The only player that might work on is Kasperi Kapanen, and the Leafs would likely match that anyway. I don't want to give up any 1st round picks that could potentially be top 10 (or top 3) in the next couple years. Trouba (or any other player) is not worth the small chance that we could have in drafting Lafrenier or any of the other top players of the 2020 draft.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Perhaps. Seems most people think he's gonna be traded, probably at the draft.