• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

2019 Offseason Rebuild Thread, Pt. 2 - What's the Yzerplan?

Rate this topic

Some of the bigger moves Yzerman made rebuilding the bolts:

To PHI: Gudas, 1st, 3rd -------------- Bad. Coburn isn't a big enough upgrade to justify this. Gave away solid picks.
To TBL: Coburn

To BOS: Brett Connolly -------------- Possible example of what could become of Svechnikov?
To TBL: 2nd, 2nd

To ARI: DeAngelo --------------------- Bad. Poor return for a possibly very good young Dman.
To TBL: 2nd

To LAK: Bishop, 5th ------------------ Cernak was a great pickup, but Bishop may end up the superior G to Vasi
To TBL: Budaj, Cernak, 7th

To PHI: Filppula, 4th, 7th ------------ Gave away Fil and a 7th, but it saved cap space. Should never gave Fil that contract.
To TBL: Streit
To PIT: Streit
To TBL: 4th

To MTL: Drouin ----------------------- Good. Got rid of problem child and Serg is more valuable.
To TBL: Sergachev

To VGK: Gusev, 2nd, 4th ----------- Bad. Gave up a lot in picks and Gusev. Should never have acquired Garrison.
To TBL: Vegas selects Garrison

To NYR: Namesnikov, Howden, Hajek, 1st, 2nd ------ Good (so far)
To TBL: McDonagh, Miller

To PHI: Meszaros --------------------- Good. Meszaros turned out to be poop
To TBL: 2nd

To NYI: Wishart ----------------------- Good. Wishart ended up being nothing and Roloson was crucial to early TBL success
To TBL: Roloson

To COL: Downie ---------------------- Good. Turned Downie into a 1st.
To TBL: Quincey
To DET: Quincey
To TBL: 1st

To NSH: Caron, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd ---- Bad. Lindback ended up being worthless. Gave away Picks.
To TBL: Lindback, Wilson, 7th

To OTT: Conacher, 4th ------------- Good. Bishop is now one of the best and Conacher is AHL.
To TBL: Bishop

To NYR: St. Louis, 2nd -------------- Good. Great return for a player he couldn't keep.
To TBL: Callahan, 1st, 1st, 7th

To CBJ: Taormina, Tyrell ------------ Could have been a steal for Yzerman, but he let Marchessault walk after this trade
To TBL: Marchessault, Smith

To NYI: 1st ----------------------------- 1st ended up being Ho-Sang, the two 2nds ended up being forgettable (so far)
To TBL: 2nd, 2nd

He's acquired most of his players through draft and/or trades, and doesn't really have too many homeruns from the UFA market besides Stralman. He's passed out some suspect contracts to the likes of Callahan, Carle, and Filppula, but then he's also found unknown players like Johnson and Gourde who've contributed a lot.

IMO it doesn't seem to me like Yzerman is overly good at trades or contracts... His real talent looks to be recognizing potential where others may not see it. This has led him to get Jon Cooper, Kucherov, Point, Palat, Roloson, Stralman, Johnson, Gourde, Bishop. Most of those names have been absolutely crucial to the Bolts success.

However its burned him too on Carle, Filppula, Garrison, and Lindback, and not seeing it in Gudas, Marchessault, and DeAngelo. I think the difference has been Yzerman actively seeks to solve the problems when they arise. Carle bought out, Filppula dumped, Garrison dumped, Drouin stonewalled then traded. That's what I like about him, Holland has been content to just leave bad contracts on the books and wait them out.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

IMO it doesn't seem to me like Yzerman is overly good at trades or contracts... His real talent looks to be recognizing potential where others may not see it. This has led him to get Jon Cooper, Kucherov, Point, Palat, Roloson, Stralman, Johnson, Gourde, Bishop. Most of those names have been absolutely crucial to the Bolts success.

However its burned him too on Carle, Filppula, Garrison, and Lindback, and not seeing it in Gudas, Marchessault, and DeAngelo. I think the difference has been Yzerman actively seeks to solve the problems when they arise. Carle bought out, Filppula dumped, Garrison dumped, Drouin stonewalled then traded. That's what I like about him, Holland has been content to just leave bad contracts on the books and wait them out.

I second this.

• Mike McIntyre of The Winnipeg Free Press suggests that the Winnipeg Jets need to act quickly and trade off defenseman Jacob Trouba before the team loses him in a year for nothing. Trouba, who has shown a reluctance to sign a long-term extension, will be a restricted free agent for the final time this off-season. If he opts to sign a one-year deal, he could be an unrestricted free agent after the 2019-20 season. McIntyre suggests the team needs to swap Trouba for a young, inexpensive defender, suggesting several teams, including the Philadelphia Flyers, as a trade partner. If they can make that trade quickly enough, it could give the Jets the opportunity to bring back Tyler Myers, who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, with the money they saved from moving Trouba.

Cholowski for Trouba anyone?

30 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Nah. Keep Cholowski. Sign Trouba as free agent next summer.

The point of the question was under the pretence that Winnipeg is done signing 1 year deals with him and 100% trades him this summer before they do lose him UFA next summer. 

5 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

The point of the question was under the pretence that Winnipeg is done signing 1 year deals with him and 100% trades him this summer before they do lose him UFA next summer. 

If you're talking a sign and trade, I doubt Trouba agrees to that, unless he has a say in where he's going. If he has say in where he's going, you'd have to think the Wings would be at the top of that list. If we're at the top of the list, no way they're getting Cholowski...

If you're talking a trade as a restricted free agent (unrestricted next season), I still say no. Whatever team he gets traded to (Philadelphia?) will have the same issues re-signing him as Winnipeg. So again, keep Cholowski. Sign Trouba as a free agent next summer...

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Do we have any solid reason to believe this tho?

When the whole thing about him "requesting a trade" was a thing a year or two ago, there were rumors swirling that he wanted to play for his hometown Red Wings. I don't know for sure that we would be number one on his trade list (although I think we probably would be), but I'd bet we'd be in the top 2 or 3 for sure. Who knows though. Regardless, I say wait it out, hope he becomes a free agent, and hope he wants to "come home"...

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Do we have any solid reason to believe this tho?

No, but if he's not willing to sign with a solid team in their Stanley Cup window then you have to think at the very least he wants to hit UFA. If that's the case we've got as good a chance as anyone, and probably better than most given that A) he's from here, and B) we have all the cap space in the world.  Plus any team he'd likely to be traded to will be a bottom feeder because contenders don't tend to have an extra 7ish million dollars in cap space lying around.  So given all that it'd be pretty dumb to trade for him.  Agree with KRsmith, wait and sign him in UFA.

Edited by kipwinger

12 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

No, but if he's not willing to sign with a solid team in their Stanley Cup window then you have to think at the very least he wants to hit UFA.  If that's the case we've got as good a chance as anyone, and probably better than most given that A) he's from here, and B) we have all the cap space in the world.  So given all that it'd be pretty dumb to trade for him.  Agree with KRsmith, wait and sign him in UFA.

I think waiting for free agency makes the most sense, but I also think there's a decent chance he agrees to a sign-and-trade. And even if there's no sign-and-trade and he makes it to free agency, there's no solid evidence that he has any interest in becoming a Wing. Could just be that he wants out of Canada. Could be that he, like seemingly everyone else these days, wants to play in New York or Florida.

34 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

When the whole thing about him "requesting a trade" was a thing a year or two ago, there were rumors swirling that he wanted to play for his hometown Red Wings. I don't know for sure that we would be number one on his trade list (although I think we probably would be), but I'd bet we'd be in the top 2 or 3 for sure. Who knows though. Regardless, I say wait it out, hope he becomes a free agent, and hope he wants to "come home"...

I do remember those rumors, but I also remember getting the distinct impression that they were mere speculation/invention. If memory serves, it was just one or two sources making the connection; no one else in the rumormongering business ever really got behind it.

Edited by Dabura

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

If you're talking a sign and trade, I doubt Trouba agrees to that, unless he has a say in where he's going. If he has say in where he's going, you'd have to think the Wings would be at the top of that list. If we're at the top of the list, no way they're getting Cholowski...

If you're talking a trade as a restricted free agent (unrestricted next season), I still say no. Whatever team he gets traded to (Philadelphia?) will have the same issues re-signing him as Winnipeg. So again, keep Cholowski. Sign Trouba as a free agent next summer...

Yzerman will get him either way. :)

13 hours ago, kickazz said:

Trouba - Karlsson

Hronek - DK

Hicketts - Byram 

Stanley Cup.

Detroit is renamed YzermanTown if above happens 2020.

The Pope goes around you need to be dead to be a saint  issue because he is a Wings fan.  He canonizes Yzerman as Saint "The Captain" the Saint of Detroit. 

Yzerman retires with a one and done and Draper takes over

30 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Exactly. 

In fairness, I think the assumption was that Cholowski would go the other way in a Trouba deal. 

In fairness, Derek Meech's drunk uncle isn't that great...

Also, f*** that trade...