• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

2019 Offseason Rebuild Thread, Pt. 2 - What's the Yzerplan?

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I think Veleno's ceiling is higher. I honestly believe that Veleno could be as good as Larkin (or close to it) in a few years... I see a 40-50 point floor / 70-80 point ceiling for Veleno. He probably ends up somewhere in between, hopefully closer to the ceiling though...

Oh, yeah, I definitely think Veleno has the potential to be much better than either of those two players. Maybe I should've said "conservative projection" instead of "realistic projection."

5 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Oh, yeah, I definitely think Veleno has the potential to be much better than either of those two players. Maybe I should've said "conservative projection" instead of "realistic projection."

I just talked to a friend of mine who went to development camp not an hour ago.

He said Kuffner, Veleno, and Hirose were noticeably much better than the rest of the team. Not surprised about Kuffner and Hirose as they're already older guys with NHL time, but that was encouraging to hear about Veleno.

He also mentioned Adams, Grewe, Seider, and Berggren as guys who looked very promising.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Nielsen will be traded and Filppula will take his old #51 back... wishful thinking...

Sadly Nielsen isn't worth the proverbial even bag of pucks at this point of his career.

The Flip singing makes sense if they want to bring AA back to the wing. Terms for both are also reasonable. Flips age also means no cap penalty if he decides to retire. And Stevie apparently didn't hand out any NTCs. We had much worse July 1sts under Holland. Not what I wished for, but that is the reality of the bottom feeder that we are. Better time are ahead.

23 minutes ago, derblaueClaus said:

Sadly Nielsen isn't worth the proverbial even bag of pucks at this point of his career.

The Flip singing makes sense if they want to bring AA back to the wing. Terms for both are also reasonable. Flips age also means no cap penalty if he decides to retire. And Stevie apparently didn't hand out any NTCs. We had much worse July 1sts under Holland. Not what I wished for, but that is the reality of the bottom feeder that we are. Better time are ahead.

Nielsen (retain $2M) should get us a mid round pick in my opinion. Nielsen at $3.25M is solid value as a 3rd line center for a contending team. We swap Nielsen out for Filppula, who is essentially the same player (maybe a little better skater), save $250K, cut off a year on the contract, and gain a mid round pick...

We needed a goaltender to mentor Larsson in Grand Rapids, so the Pickard signing makes sense. The Filppula signing is still puzzling to me, unless there are other moves coming (Nielsen trade), but I doubt it. Same goes for the Nemeth signing. Not a bad signing, but unless one or two of Kronwall, Ericsson, Daley or Green are gone, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me... We have / had more than enough veterans on this team, and we just added two more...

Sadly realistic looking lineup next year 

bertuzzi Larkin mantha 

hirose nielsen athanasiou 

helm filppula zadina (waste of zadina) 

abdelkader glendening ehn/Delarose 

that bottom 6 is brutal + Nielsen 2c , my god better be getting a top pick for that pain

dekeyser green

nemeth hronek 

Bowey/Daley/ericsson/kaski/kronwall if he returns 

optimistic at this point lineup

bertuzzi Larkin mantha

hirose nielsen athanasiou 

svechnikov filppula zadina 

abdelkader glendening helm/ehn

+ same d with cholowski having a shot

either way it’s going to be a long season , gonna have to definetly check into griffins games this year 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Fil and Frans are both very good 3C's IMHO. If Blash can pit them against each other for the 2C position, it could be some very good internal competition that will hopefully motivate the pair to have good seasons no matter the line they end up on.

PS Fil could still pass for like a 28/29 year old IMO

valtteri-filppula-2019-7440.jpg

55 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Fil and Frans are both very good 3C's IMHO. If Blash can pit them against each other for the 2C position, it could be some very good internal competition that will hopefully motivate the pair to have good seasons no matter the line they end up on.

PS Fil could still pass for like a 28/29 year old IMO

valtteri-filppula-2019-7440.jpg

Those eyebrows dont even make AA's flinch.

Alright serious time, Canada day is over.

I know Fil round 2 is the talk of the town, but he''s not the concerning contract at all IMO.

Nemeth at 2 years for $3 mil AAV is very concerning. What is Yzerman thinking here? This is an NHL player with 250 NHL games played and less then 40 pts scored over that span. And Stevie awarded him 6 million dollars? Does he not care because we won't reach the cap? Still seems pretty careless...

On top of that this is a Dman that played 16 minutes a night in Colorado, and 14 minutes a night for the Avs in the playoffs.
For comparison, Jon Ericsson played 17 minutes a night for us last year, and even Jake Chelios averaged 17 minutes a night in the few games he played. Nemeth was literally relied upon less than Big E and Lil Chelios by the Avs.

He'll be 28 in February and is 6'3" 220 lbs. I guess that's nice?

If you told me Patrik Nemeth was signed for 900K to play in GR, I would be like yeah legit. But $3 mil AAV? I hope Yzerman knows something about him I don't because this contract feels like a total waste of funds.

This Nemeth contract is considered by cap-friendly contract comparison to be most similar to Brandon Manning, Deryk Engelland, and Brayden Mcnabb. The first is now regulated to the AHL and the other two are clear overpayments.

This all begs the true and obvious question... Is Steve Yzerman a complete retard?

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

This all begs the true and obvious question... Is Steve Yzerman a complete retard?

In a way, I'm really enjoying this off-season so far.

I imagine that for all the people who were clamoring to replace Holland with Yzerman it's like being a kid finding out that Santa Claus is real by walking in on him taking a wet dump in their stocking, and now they have to try to convince themselves that it's what they truly wanted the whole time.

Kronwall 2x$4.5 please

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Alright serious time, Canada day is over.

I know Fil round 2 is the talk of the town, but he''s not the concerning contract at all IMO.

Nemeth at 2 years for $3 mil AAV is very concerning. What is Yzerman thinking here? This is an NHL player with 250 NHL games played and less then 40 pts scored over that span. And Stevie awarded him 6 million dollars? Does he not care because we won't reach the cap? Still seems pretty careless...

On top of that this is a Dman that played 16 minutes a night in Colorado, and 14 minutes a night for the Avs in the playoffs.
For comparison, Jon Ericsson played 17 minutes a night for us last year, and even Jake Chelios averaged 17 minutes a night in the few games he played. Nemeth was literally relied upon less than Big E and Lil Chelios by the Avs.

He'll be 28 in February and is 6'3" 220 lbs. I guess that's nice?

If you told me Patrik Nemeth was signed for 900K to play in GR, I would be like yeah legit. But $3 mil AAV? I hope Yzerman knows something about him I don't because this contract feels like a total waste of funds.

This Nemeth contract is considered by cap-friendly contract comparison to be most similar to Brandon Manning, Deryk Engelland, and Brayden Mcnabb. The first is now regulated to the AHL and the other two are clear overpayments.

Yup, that was my initial reaction as well. Nemeth at $1-2M max would have been reasonable. $3M seems like an overpayment, especially for a player we really didn't need...

Kronwall (38), Ericsson (35), Daley (35), Green (33), DeKeyser (29), Nemeth (27), Bowey (24), Kaski (23), Hronek (21), Cholowski (21)

If Yzerman knows that Kronwall is retiring, and Daley is being moved, it makes a little sense. Otherwise, not a great signing.

Without Kronwall and Daley...

DeKeyser - Green

Ericsson - Hronek

Nemeth - Bowey

Even then, Cholowski and Kaski start in Grand Rapids.

That defense is AWFUL!

34 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yup, that was my initial reaction as well. Nemeth at $1-2M max would have been reasonable. $3M seems like an overpayment, especially for a player we really didn't need...

Kronwall (38), Ericsson (35), Daley (35), Green (33), DeKeyser (29), Nemeth (27), Bowey (24), Kaski (23), Hronek (21), Cholowski (21)

If Yzerman knows that Kronwall is retiring, and Daley is being moved, it makes a little sense. Otherwise, not a great signing.

DeKeyser - Green

Ericsson - Hronek

Nemeth - Bowey

That defense is AWFUL!

Grand Rapids is about to have the best defense in the AHL. Especially if Seider starts there. Soooo, cool? :P

I don't get the Nemeth addition either. But this got me pretty good :D

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

DeKeyser - Green

Ericsson - Hronek

Nemeth - Bowey

That defense is AWFUL!

"Everyone is healthy"

DeKeyser - Green

Nemeth - Hronek

Kronwall - Kaski

Ericsson