• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

2019 Offseason Rebuild Thread, Pt. 2 - What's the Yzerplan?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

i think we’ll have some exciting moments watching the young forwards this season but our defense is just too horrible to overcome and Howard is getting older so I’d say there’s a good chance he gets hurt again

This is what holds me back from being more confident. If the defense s***s the bed hard and goaltending falls apart, they’re as screwed as they’ve been. But...you never know...

Make no mistake about it, we're going to suck this season.  Yzerman has basically indicated as much through his (in)actions.  Even if ALL of the young guys (Larkin, Mantha, Bert, AA, Hronek) take a step forward there's only so much better that they're going to be.  And literally every other problem we had a year ago is still a problem this year.  No quality centers after Larkin, a defense full of pylons (and Filip Hronek), same powerplay, same coaches, same everything.  Well, that and the addition of an over the hill Filppula and a defenseman who can't generate any offense. 

It still remains to be seen whether or not team will turn it around in the long term, but this season is going to be just as abysmal as last year.  Matter of fact, I think Steve-o is counting on it. 

3 hours ago, gcom007 said:

This is what holds me back from being more confident. If the defense s***s the bed hard and goaltending falls apart, they’re as screwed as they’ve been. But...you never know...

If we have healthy Ericsson, Daley and Green all year, the D IS going to s*** the bed.  The goaltending duo of Howard and Bernier have already fallen apart.  That has to be the worst starting 2 G's in the NHL.  I hope Pickard wins the job from Bernier and we waive him.  Howard is nothing more than a bandaid starter.  Hopefully one of our drafted kids shows up soon and Howard can back him up.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

same coaches

We haven't replace Fershweiller yet, but there are still 2 Assts under Blashill, so I am not sure if we are replacing him.

4 hours ago, gcom007 said:

Any realistic fan knows this season will be a struggle especially with our d core and who knows we might even add kronwall who’s almost 40 who’s yet to make a final decision + an aging goalie who’s had injury problems in the past 

I’m just gonna enjoy watching the young forwards + hronek 

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

If we have healthy Ericsson, Daley and Green all year, the D IS going to s*** the bed.  The goaltending duo of Howard and Bernier have already fallen apart.  That has to be the worst starting 2 G's in the NHL.  I hope Pickard wins the job from Bernier and we waive him.  Howard is nothing more than a bandaid starter.  Hopefully one of our drafted kids shows up soon and Howard can back him up.

We haven't replace Fershweiller yet, but there are still 2 Assts under Blashill, so I am not sure if we are replacing him.

He was already downgraded to, like, a video coach or something like that.  He was in a much more minor role.  Houda and Bylsma are the primary assistant coaches. 

It's a thin line between winning and losing. We had 40-odd one-goal games last year. Probably close to 60 if you add in two-goal games where we allowed an empty net. Small improvements, or even just luck, could make a big difference, as could small regression. We could have the worst record in the league, or be on the playoff bubble. 

We're probably a little worse on paper, but i think we'll see some guys step up and a healthier, more consistent defense. Marginal improvement, 80-85 point range, well out of the playoffs but too high to have a good shot at a top-3 pick. 

18 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Dark horse means we’d surprise teams and the only way I think we’ll surprise teams is at how s*** we’ll be lol and that’s fine by me Cause we need a top 3 pick in 2020 

I agree with you there are things to like , the mantha bertuzzi Larkin line is golden , after that it should be nice to likely see zadina play and I’d expect him to get 20-30 in a full season but his +/- won’t be nice to see overall , and I think hronek will be a big guy for us and open some eyes 

this team sadly has way too many 4th Lines in the bottom lineups and our defense is just atrocious and without looking at all the d lineups around the league I’d say we easily have the worst d , if not bottom 3 . Like hronek a lot but he’s gonna be in his first full season and green is the only other guy who can put some numbers up  and I’m hoping for once he doesn’t get injured so we can send his ass packing finally on deadline day 

i know yzerman says there’s spots to be had but I think he’s smart enough to know we desperately need a top pick next draft so I expect veleno to be down as well as cholowski and I think they’ll send Rasmussen to get a ton of minutes and boost his confidence. I think 2020-2021 will be the season to watch for wings fans when cholowski and seider will be on the team and Rasmussen and veleno could be in a top 6 role 

i think we’ll have some exciting moments watching the young forwards this season but our defense is just too horrible to overcome and Howard is getting older so I’d say there’s a good chance he gets hurt again

we’ll be a bottom 3 team but I love where our team is headed 

Pretty much. I don't disagree. My hopes would be entirely built on ALL the young guns emerging as stars. Could happen, but probably won't.

I'm holding on to that could thou...

15 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Make no mistake about it, we're going to suck this season.  Yzerman has basically indicated as much through his (in)actions.  Even if ALL of the young guys (Larkin, Mantha, Bert, AA, Hronek) take a step forward there's only so much better that they're going to be.  And literally every other problem we had a year ago is still a problem this year.  No quality centers after Larkin, a defense full of pylons (and Filip Hronek), same powerplay, same coaches, same everything.  Well, that and the addition of an over the hill Filppula and a defenseman who can't generate any offense. 

It still remains to be seen whether or not team will turn it around in the long term, but this season is going to be just as abysmal as last year.  Matter of fact, I think Steve-o is counting on it. 

Steven is certainly counting us out. Would love to surprise him, but he's probably smarter than me.

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Steven is certainly counting us out. Would love to surprise him, but he's probably smarter than me.

I mean, he took a lot of head shots over his career.  A WHOLE bunch just in the 2002 series again Vancouver alone.  So I wouldn't count on it. 

Edited by kipwinger

19 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Any realistic fan knows this season will be a struggle especially with our d core and who knows we might even add kronwall who’s almost 40 who’s yet to make a final decision + an aging goalie who’s had injury problems in the past 

I’m just gonna enjoy watching the young forwards + hronek 

I would love to have Kronwall as player/coach for 2 years.  20-30 games a year on the ice, 50-60 behind the bench.  I like that dude.

14 hours ago, mackel said:

Has anyone seen anything regarding Kronner?  Especially those of you who follow Swedish media.

Nothing, really. Some article on a swedish hockey website with some comments from Yzerman about how Kronwall is thinking about it and that he is welcome if he chooses to continue playing.

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Juice

Good low risk move. Former 33rd overall pick, had 20 points in 65 games for Tampa last year (first full year up in the NHL) & still only 24 years old. Obviously it helps to know that yzerman knows what he's getting, but I like it. Why not? 

Knew it wouldn't be long before we got a player or two out of Tampa :P

Man, when are the Red Wings going to stop with all these loyalty moves.  Just because you drafted a guy, or signed him as an FA years ago, doesn't mean you have to keep bringing them back if they suck amirite? 

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Man, when are the Red Wings going to stop with all these loyalty moves.  Just because you drafted a guy, or signed him as an FA years ago, doesn't mean you have to keep bringing them back if they suck amirite? 

If you're trying to be funny, maybe Yzerman should sign this kid to a 7 x 4+M year deal while he's at it. 

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

If you're trying to be funny, maybe Yzerman should sign this kid to a 7 x 4+M year deal while he's at it. 

Had to acquire him first.  I'm told an extension is in the works. 

Edited by kipwinger

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Me too, could have been the next Jari Kurri.

69th overall? Kurri basically went in today's second round. During the height of hockey xenophobia. So he's prob a top 10 pick in todays NHL. But yeah, 4th rounders. Very valuable. 

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

69th overall? Kurri basically went in today's second round. During the height of hockey xenophobia. So he's prob a top 10 pick in todays NHL. But yeah, 4th rounders. Very valuable. 

More or less valuable than a 4th line plug?  But again...loyalty ya know?  I get it.