• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

2019 Offseason Rebuild Thread, Pt. 2 - What's the Yzerplan?

Rate this topic

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Kivenmaki is a decent prospect, but much like Saarijarvi, he's still a long shot to ever make the NHL.

I know I’m way more excited about him as a prospect than saarijarvi and he’s got upside so if he makes it he won’t be some 3rd/4th line plug guy, I believe he can be someone we can potentially be talking about as another steal pick ... yes it’s still very early and odds are against him but I like him more than some guys we have 

anyways point is more picks regardless where it is better chances of landing players , we could have landed Samuel fagemo last season for example  as a 7th and he’d have been a steal right now . Like I said I’m just greedy and want as many picks as we can get lol

13 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I know I’m way more excited about him as a prospect than saarijarvi and he’s got upside so if he makes it he won’t be some 3rd/4th line plug guy, I believe he can be someone we can potentially be talking about as another steal pick ... yes it’s still very early and odds are against him but I like him more than some guys we have 

anyways point is more picks regardless where it is better chances of landing players , we could have landed Samuel fagemo last season for example  as a 7th and he’d have been a steal right now . Like I said I’m just greedy and want as many picks as we can get lol

I agree with adding more picks, I just don't see a market for a guy like Saarijarvi.

Of course you're more excited about Kivenmaki than Saarijarvi. Everyone is right now, because he's newer and shinier. He hasn't had the opportunity to disappoint yet... It wasn't too long ago that many thought Almqvist was going to be a steal. Then shortly after that it was Marchenko. Then Holmstrom. Now Kivenmaki. Fact is, the odds of any of them making the NHL as a permanent fixture was always slim. I would say it's the same for Kivenmaki (especially at his size), as well as any future 7th round picks.

57 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree with adding more picks, I just don't see a market for a guy like Saarijarvi.

Of course you're more excited about Kivenmaki than Saarijarvi. Everyone is right now, because he's newer and shinier. He hasn't had the opportunity to disappoint yet... It wasn't too long ago that many thought Almqvist was going to be a steal. Then shortly after that it was Marchenko. Then Holmstrom. Now Kivenmaki. Fact is, the odds of any of them making the NHL as a permanent fixture was always slim. I would say it's the same for Kivenmaki (especially at his size), as well as any future 7th round picks.

Your most likely right but I’m just hoping we can given he’s what 21? And I don’t think he’s really been given a bunch of ice time but hey I could be wrong ... maybe a team like Carolina with all those finn’s? Or maybe some conditional pick .. whatever again your probably right but with d’s especially I’m hoping for something 

From what I’ve seen and read he looks like he has nice upside is all I’m saying and if he makes the nhl it won’t be some plug in guy , he won’t be there checking guys and stuff he’ll be there as a playmaker and a guy who can produce 

trust me I’m the first guy to complain when we draft short guys but all I hear is how this is the new nhl and it doesn’t matter and stuff so for me personally I’m more excited at him at this point than say a Phillips who we drafted this year earlier on ,like you said man it’s a crapshoot and anyone pretty much rounds 4-7 is unknown 

I’m excited about him cause of his upside but I’m not gonna go crazy if he doesn’t make it cause like you mentioned those guys along with axelsson,Daniel larsson etc... I’ve been disappointed ... so cautiously optimistic , this will be a big year cause If he continues from the end of last season and dominates the Finnish league then there’s really reason to be pumped about him

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Erne - Filpulla - AA

the new kid will get those pucks 4 ya 

That very well might be what Yzerman has in mind. Still would prefer a guy who can score AND retrieve pucks like Bert though. Obviously I expect Bert to be that guy on the first line, and then some combination of Erne, Helm, and Abby doing it on the next three lines.  Ideally those last three spots will go to some combination of Rasmussen, Grewe, Svech or some UFA in the future though.  Given the roster that we have right now, I think we'll see something like this:

Bert-Lark-Mantha

Erne/Abby/Helm-Filppula/Nielsen-AA

Erne/Abby/Helm-Filpuula/Nielsen-Hirose

Erne/Abby/Helm-Glendening-Ehn/De La Rose

Ehn/De La Rose

Sorry if that's hard to follow.  But I think you get the idea.  Lots of guys are interchangeable on this squad. 

Edit:  Would have liked to have seen Steven bring in someone like Michael Ferland to fill that spot though.  After he didn't sign for a few days following FA, and Steve's comments about bringing in another winger, I thought he'd be a good option but oh well. 

Edited by kipwinger

14 hours ago, TLGTrico said:

So Fil is taking back his 51 and Nielson is switching to 81.  Nemeth will wear 22

12 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Confirmed, Nielsen is being traded...

What’s interesting is how Fil, and Nielsen are nearly identical; same age, height/weight, both lefty, can play C/W, and are both career 30 to 40 pts per season.

33 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

What’s interesting is how Fil, and Nielsen are nearly identical; same age, height/weight, both lefty, can play C/W, and are both career 30 to 40 pts per season.

Yeah, I mentioned this the day we signed Filppula. The similarities are staggering... They were even drafted just 8 spots apart in 2002.

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I mentioned this the day we signed Filppula. The similarities are staggering... They were even drafted just 8 spots apart in 2002.

Image result for x files gif

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Image result for jacob de la rose

When did Pastrnak become a Red Wing ??!!

Edited by F.Michael

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

You're forgetting that we already have an elite center wearing that number...

Image result for jacob de la rose

So now we have centers wearing 41, 51, 61, 71, AND 81...

oh snap, i am! 

well, that proves it... we're getting rid of glendog millionaire :P 

Always nice to get a well-informed outsider's take on the state of the Wings...

https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home/the-dobotomy/dobbers-offseason-fantasy-grades-2019-detroit-red-wings/

Fantasy Outlook – The Red Wings didn’t have much in the way of appealing players beyond Dylan Larkin a year ago. Just a lot of ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’. In the final quarter, however, Larkin found himself two linemates that were a perfect fit. He, Tyler Bertuzzi and Anthony Mantha were sizzling in the final 25 or 30 games, with Bertuzzi posting four consecutive three-point games inside that stretch. Add Andreas Athanasiou posting improving quarters last year (12 points, 13, 14, and 15 in that order) and suddenly the Wings have a great young top line and a bit of secondary scoring. Between Hronek, Cholowski and possibly Kaski, and the roster is starting to shape up. The prospects in the pipeline are sensational: from Joe Veleno, to Zadina, to Jonatan Berggren, to Jared McIsaac to Moritz Seider the team is just two or three years away from something special. For this year, however, I see just two players topping 55 points, and goaltending is still on the weak side.

(I guess I'm spamming Dobber links today.)

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this for the better part of this season...

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha

Hirose - Filppula - Athanasiou

Erne - Nielsen - Kuffner

Abdelkader - Glendening - Helm

Ehn / de la Rose

DeKeyser - Green

Nemeth - Hronek

Daley - Bowey

Ericsson

Howard

Bernier

Terry - Veleno - Zadina

Svechnikov - Rasmussen - Puempel

Smith - Turgeon - MacLeod

Pope - Pearson - Lukosevicius

Elson / Ford

Cholowski - Seider

Hicketts - Kaski

Lashoff / McIlrath - Lindstrom

Saarijarvi

Larsson

Pickard

It would certainly be a painful season in Detroit, but a fun season in Grand Rapids, while our top prospects continue to develop and gain chemistry in a winning environment. I would definitely watch a lot of Griffins games if they dressed a roster close to this. It would also ensure another top pick in next year's draft...

18 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this for the better part of this season...

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha

Hirose - Filppula - Athanasiou

Erne - Nielsen - Kuffner

Abdelkader - Glendening - Helm

Ehn / de la Rose

DeKeyser - Green

Nemeth - Hronek

Daley - Bowey

Ericsson

Howard

Bernier

Terry - Veleno - Zadina

Svechnikov - Rasmussen - Puempel

Smith - Turgeon - MacLeod

Pope - Pearson - Lukosevicius

Elson / Ford

Cholowski - Seider

Hicketts - Kaski

Lashoff / McIlrath - Lindstrom

Saarijarvi

Larsson

Pickard

It would certainly be a painful season in Detroit, but a fun season in Grand Rapids, while our top prospects continue to develop and gain chemistry in a winning environment. I would definitely watch a lot of Griffins games if they dressed a roster close to this. It would also ensure another top pick in next year's draft...

your projected DRW roster is not as painful as last year´s and we all have to realize that there will only be a top pick in the 2020 draft if we win one in the lottery...

12 minutes ago, ely s said:

your projected DRW roster is not as painful as last year´s and we all have to realize that there will only be a top pick in the 2020 draft if we win one in the lottery...

Ah. But ultimate suckage does guarantee a top 5 pick in a stacked draft. 

8 minutes ago, ely s said:

your projected DRW roster is not as painful as last year´s...

How so? I would say that last year's roster including Nyquist, Vanek, Rasmussen, Ericsson, Jensen was as good or better on paper than this year's roster including Filppula, Hirose, Kuffner, Erne, Nemeth, Bowey...

14 minutes ago, ely s said:

... and we all have to realize that there will only be a top pick in the 2020 draft if we win one in the lottery...

I said "another" top pick which would imply top sixish, not necessarily a lottery pick.

3 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Ah. But ultimate suckage does guarantee a top 5 pick in a stacked draft. 

ultimate suckage is only guaranteeing a losing habit and I really have a problem with that sort of mentality. I don´t care where you end up at seasons end as long as you give all you have and you try to win every game. If SY is going a different route and going to loose on purpose, that would stop me being a DRW fan, because everything we were told in the last years was "we want to keep a competitive approach and a winning mentality" and I would feel betrayed in a way. We have the assets to start that turnaround during this season and are able to have a team to start next year as a playoff contender.

edit:next year is 2020/21...

Edited by ely s

41 minutes ago, ely s said:

ultimate suckage is only guaranteeing a losing habit and I really have a problem with that sort of mentality. I don´t care where you end up at seasons end as long as you give all you have and you try to win every game. If SY is going a different route and going to loose on purpose, that would stop me being a DRW fan, because everything we were told in the last years was "we want to keep a competitive approach and a winning mentality" and I would feel betrayed in a way. We have the assets to start that turnaround during this season and are able to have a team to start next year as a playoff contender.

edit:next year is 2020/21...

Its extremely important that we get pick 1 or 2 next draft.  This team needs an elite player.