• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

2019 Offseason Rebuild Thread, Pt. 2 - What's the Yzerplan?

Rate this topic

34 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Too early. Should've been sent down as soon as the rest of the D got healthy again. But without hindsight I probably would've kept him up for 25 games too hoping he'd re-find that spark.

First NHL season is brutal on most young guys.  Thats why im big on big ras and ehn right now.  They may not have wowed us with their play, but they handled the mental load and stress very well.  They are only going to get better when Zadina, Veleno, and Cozens replace Abdelkader, Nielsen, and Helm.

3 minutes ago, TLGTrico said:

Um, so has anyone else seen Abdelkader's name under popular buyouts on capfriendly?

That's just a list of players that are bought out most often in the Armchair GM feature. Buying out Abdelkader at this point would be dumb. It's not going to happen. At least not for the next 2-3 years... And even then, trading him, and retaining a portion of his cap hit would make more sense in 2-3 years time.

In NHL 19, I was finally was able to trade Abdelkader before the start of my second season. 

I traded him to Florida for two lower draft picks, and a young player with low potential.  Did not have to retain any of the salary.  :)   I'm very pleased.  

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

That's just a list of players that are bought out most often in the Armchair GM feature. Buying out Abdelkader at this point would be dumb. It's not going to happen. At least not for the next 2-3 years... And even then, trading him, and retaining a portion of his cap hit would make more sense in 2-3 years time.

Can you retain cap hit?  I thought you could only retain salary.

50 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Can you retain cap hit?  I thought you could only retain salary.

Yes, when you retain salary you also keep that part of the cap hit.

Also, we have like $20M in cap space, more coming off soon, and a bunch of ELCs coming soon. Buying anyone out or even trading anyone is stupid.

Edited by Buppy

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

When retaining salary, it's referring to both salary and cap hit.

I dont think so.  I think you have to either trade or buyout caphit when you move a player.  Otherwise, super teams could be formed with 120,000,000 payrolls with salaries and caphits elsewhere.  I think they prevent that by only allowing a team to pay a traded players salary (retain salary).  The pro rated cap hit has to be picked up by the acquiring team.

34 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I dont think so.  I think you have to either trade or buyout caphit when you move a player.  Otherwise, super teams could be formed with 120,000,000 payrolls with salaries and caphits elsewhere.  I think they prevent that by only allowing a team to pay a traded players salary (retain salary).  The pro rated cap hit has to be picked up by the acquiring team.

No. The cap hit can be retained, but teams are limited to having a max of three at one time, preventing teams from having "$120,000,000 payrolls"...

What is a retained salary transaction/trade

When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:
  1. The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.
  2. The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified.
  3. All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.
  4. Teams cannot retain an aggregate amount of more than 15 percent of the Salary Cap Upper Limit.
  5. Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract.
Once a retained salary transcation has occured, there are various limitations, such as:
  • A team cannot reacquire a player whom they have retained salary from for a minimum of one year after the date of the transaction, or unless the player's contract expires or is terminated prior to the one-year date.
  • All teams involved in a retained salary transaction will have cap implications if the contract is bought out or terminated.
  • Teams who retain salary on a players contract, will have the full value of the cap hit act against the teams salary cap total, regardless of whether the player is reassigned to the minors by their current team.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

No. The cap hit can be retained, but teams are limited to having a max of three at one time, preventing teams from having "$120,000,000 payrolls"...

What is a retained salary transaction/trade

When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:
  1. The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.
  2. The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified.
  3. All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.
  4. Teams cannot retain an aggregate amount of more than 15 percent of the Salary Cap Upper Limit.
  5. Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract.
Once a retained salary transcation has occured, there are various limitations, such as:
  • A team cannot reacquire a player whom they have retained salary from for a minimum of one year after the date of the transaction, or unless the player's contract expires or is terminated prior to the one-year date.
  • All teams involved in a retained salary transaction will have cap implications if the contract is bought out or terminated.
  • Teams who retain salary on a players contract, will have the full value of the cap hit act against the teams salary cap total, regardless of whether the player is reassigned to the minors by their current team.

Cool.  Thx for that.  Abdelkader trade with 50% retained isnt as bad.

6 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Cool.  Thx for that.  Abdelkader trade with 50% retained isnt as bad.

Yeah, I'd still wait a couple years before attempting to pull off that trade. I highly doubt a team would want Abdelkader now with 4 years remaining, even if it were at $2.125M (50%). Honestly, I'd be more interested in trying to move Nielsen in the next year or two than Abdelkader...

7 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I'd still wait a couple years before attempting to pull off that trade. I highly doubt a team would want Abdelkader now with 4 years remaining, even if it were at $2.125M (50%). Honestly, I'd be more interested in trying to move Nielsen in the next year or two than Abdelkader...

Who could use these 2 guys?

5 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Who could use these 2 guys?

I could see Nielsen and / or Helm getting traded in the next year or so. Not so sure anyone would have much interest in Abdelkader though...

Nielsen to NYI (1,050,000 (20%) retained for 3 seasons).
Helm to EDM (1,925,000 (50%) retained for 2 seasons).
Also
Daley to DAL (1,583,333 (50%) retained for 1 season).

All traded for mid to late round picks / mid level prospects...

The Athletic: Ranking all 31 NHL Team's Cap Situation From Best to Worst

How did the Wings do? Hint: 1 is best 31 is not best

4. Detroit Red Wings

2019-20 salaries: $59.3 million
RFAs estimate: $1 million
Projected cap space: $22.7 million

The Atlantic Division got a whole lot more interesting this offseason in a number of spots. In Detroit, Steve Yzerman — one of the most successful GMs in the past decade — takes over a huge rebuilding project but has a ton of cap space to work with.

This offseason is an important one for him to begin to make his mark.

The Red Wings have a lot of players signed. They have some bad contracts. They’ve got a pile of money they can open up in LTIR with Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen presumably going back there for the full year.

But they need more help everywhere on the roster, and I can’t imagine Yzerman views free agency as the place to buy it. Some creative trades and making use of their cap advantage could go a long way toward setting up the Red Wings to be a good team in two or three years.

Notable unsigned UFAs: Niklas Kronwall, Thomas Vanek

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

HSJ saying Yzerman hasn't heard from Kronwall yet, but would bring him back if he wants to play.

Ya that’s not a surprise I’d be shocked if he didn’t return to get his 1000 games 

he also said he’d be making some free agency calls and offers and see if the numbers and term might work and certain guys but from the sounds of it and where the team is at I can’t imagije us locking guys down 

curious though as to who he might talk to come July 1 only can see Karlsson,Myers,edler,ferland, Maybe simmonds on a short deal? I can’t really see anyone else we’d be keeping an eye out for