• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

2019 Offseason Rebuild Thread, Pt. 2 - What's the Yzerplan?

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I am going to break out in laughter when she flunks out of med school, gets an internship somewhere other than NY, or they break up altogether.

Making those kinds of professional long term plans without even knowing what your long term family/personal situation is yet is just plain dumb and his agent should slap him upside the head.

I know, right?  Some girl failing to realize her dream of helping people, despite the sincere help and effort from her loved ones, would be f*cking hilarious!

1 hour ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

I hope Trouba and AA both sign long term contracts. Every thread has some game plan to rid the team of AA and somehow trade for Trouba.

Is AA a top pair defenseman? Nope. Guys like AA are a lot easier to come by. Top pair D are much more valuable. Giving up something of lesser value to acquire something of greater value is smart management.

17 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I know, right?  Some girl failing to realize her dream of helping people, despite the sincere help and effort from her loved ones, would be f*cking hilarious!

Signing a long term deal to play in NY because ur fiancee MIGHT become your wife, and she MIGHT finish med school, and she MIGHT intern in NY, and MIGHT become a doctor will look pretty silly if it doesn't happen.

It seems like a poor decision for him to make definitive career decisions based on things in his GF's life that are far from certain is all I am saying.

8 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Is AA a top pair defenseman? Nope. Guys like AA are a lot easier to come by. Top pair D are much more valuable. Giving up something of lesser value to acquire something of greater value is smart management.

Signing a long term deal to play in NY because ur fiancee MIGHT become your wife, and she MIGHT finish med school, and she MIGHT intern in NY, and MIGHT become a doctor will look pretty silly if it doesn't happen.

It seems like a poor decision for him to make definitive career decisions based on things in his GF's life that are far from certain is all I am saying.

The furry triangle has a strong effect on us.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It's called committing to your loved ones. Hes realized his dream and will be a millionaire either way. Why take hers away?

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Let's set aside the fact that you wished that twenty year old girl (whom you never even met) flunks out of med school, and/or that two people who seem to really care about each other ultimately break up. We'll just ignore what a miserably cynical point of view that actually is.

What I'm REALLY wondering is what you do for a living that puts you in a position to give career advice to the 25 year old millionaire and his soon-to-be doctor girlfriend?  I bet you're a stock broker right?  Own your own wealth management firm?  Independently wealthy entrepreneur? 

1 hour ago, Euro_Twins said:

It's called committing to your loved ones. Hes realized his dream and will be a millionaire either way. Why take hers away?

Bingo. 

Ok, let's take a look at what we've got here:

Bertuzzi 1 year left (1.4) - Larkin 4 years left (6.1) - Mantha 1 year left (3.3)

This is our top line and this is who we should be building around. Big fan of all of these contracts but obviously will need to look to extend both Bertuzzi and Mantha. These guys are not going to be getting paid as little as they are considering current production. I'd be ecstatic if we could get both of those guys at extensions for a combined $9 million but they are first line guys and all three are young and need to do as much in our power to extend those guys.

???? - Athanasiou 1 year left (3) - Helm 2 years left (3.85)

Athanasiou is worth a raise and would love to lock him up long term. Outside the top line, these are the fowards that we need to build on but they're likely going to command more money. To me, if we can get 5-7 year long terms that would be ideal and get them for 4.5-5.5 million that seems like a reasonable contract for those guys. Need a cheap option on the left side with some of these forwards likely to get raises. Helm is someone I'd like to try and move if possible. Maybe try sending him to a team that is looking for a depth guy or someone on the PP. Would be a hard sell but that would be a priority is to get rid of him.

?????? - Nielsen 3 years left  (5.25) - ????????

Need a brand new 3rd line. If it were up to me this is where I think you shop around for guys who are underpaid and maybe don't put up a ton of points but have good possession numbers and can be assets on both ends of the ice. This is probably the toughest job as a gm and I honestly have no clue what I'd be doing but trying to look at guys in FA who are undervalued and try and get some guys there after some teams blow their loads on some of the top end guys. Would love to she Nielsen as he's under contract for 3 more years at a steep price, still could be useful for some teams that may take a shot on him hoping for a Stanley Cup run.

Abdelkader 4 years left (4.25) - Glendenning 2 years left (1.8) - De La Rose 1 year left (900K)

Yuck, outside the top 3 guys + Athanasiou, this forward unit is a disaster. Not sure how you move guys like Abdelkader and Glendenning but try to do what you can because they are terrible and shouldn't be taking up a roster spot.

Guys like Rasmussen and Svechnikov can hopefully make some leaps and fill some of those gaps but they're also on ELCs and that will obviously need to be dealt with at some point as well.

Green 1 year left (5.375) - Daley 1 year left (3.1)

Green's contract is fine, needs to stay healthy. If I could retain Green at a lower cost than what he's currently making and is healthy than I'm ok with him staying. Daley's contract sucks, for the life of me, I don't understand why Holland was ok with getting us to the point where we have an average age of over 31 on the back end with our current contracts. Someone, might be willing to take a chance on Daley, here's to hoping, otherwise 1 year left isn't the worst thing in the world.

Ericsson 1 year left (4.25) - Bowey 1 year left (1)

Ugh, this blueline sucks, Bowey is young so hopefully he's better but need to let these contracts run their course and than cut bait after this season.

DeKeyser 3 years left (5) - ?????????

Need at least a couple of guys that can play defence. Find someone young on the backend to fill the vacancy as our team is old as f***. Dekeyser I still have faith can be worth his $5million and is still young so he might be a guy that can be used as trade bait. If he has a good season, this could be a good sell high scenario as he's likely going to be on the decline soon.

Howard 1 year left (4)

Bernier 2 years left (3)

No real problems here, Howard is getting old though so I wouldn't mind seeing a replacement.

4 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Trouba, Trouba, Trouba...who will everyone dream about now? The off-season is ruined.

5 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

So much wrong here:

One: Trouba didn't have any choice in where he was traded. Maybe Chevy wanted to be nice, maybe Trouba somehow got the word out that he wasn't interested in going anywhere else, or maybe that whole thing was bulls*** and Chevy just took what he thought was the best offer.

Two: The residency thing is part of the reason they wanted to leave Canada. Nothing about that story says anything about NY specifically.

Three: You're assuming that Trouba would otherwise not want to go to NY.

Four: Making career decisions is often how things in life become certain. 

Five: No decision he can make will permanently define anything. Anything can be modified later.

2 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Heard last night the flyers will likely hold on to him now , we’ll see what happens 

they'd be dumb not to hold onto him... so i'd say it's about 50/50 that they do :P 

but if we're talking Trouba pipe dream replacement. he's my candidate 

33 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Helm (retain half his salary) for Puljujarvi...

I wish man lol ... f*** you want to help your precious oilers now mr Holland and accommodate puljujarvi 

Brandon manning and puljujarvi 

for 

Darren helm 50% retained and Trevor Daley ,Toss in delarose for good measure 

get two forward to help bottom lines and replace a waste of manning with a “cup winning” veteran dman

but he’s helm for puljujarvi in a heartbeat , probably have to throw in a pick

easily glendening  to the oilers if it gets it done

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

20 hours ago, Euro_Twins said:

Is his dream making money or winning a Cup? Because he isn't winning a Cup with The Rangers in the next 8 years that is for sure. Enjoy that woman though! He should've asked Suter how that worked out for him...

5 hours ago, amato said:

Was going to say the same thing. Or Glendenning without salary retained. Take your pick, Kenny.

Heard Pierre McGuire on the radio say he’d give up a 3rd rounder at the most ..I’d give up the 2021 Vegas 3rd for him + delarose ... I really doubt Holland will trade with yzerman though I can just picture him getting mad at Stevie ... it’s your f***en fault I’m in f***en Edmonton! f*** you! And hangs up with his hands shaking nonstop .... sniffs a line of coke haha

1 hour ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Heard Pierre McGuire on the radio say he’d give up a 3rd rounder at the most ..I’d give up the 2021 Vegas 3rd for him + delarose ... I really doubt Holland will trade with yzerman though I can just picture him getting mad at Stevie ... it’s your f***en fault I’m in f***en Edmonton! f*** you! And hangs up with his hands shaking nonstop .... sniffs a line of coke haha

Ha!

Nielsen (50%) for Pulu and Manning.

They get a good 3rd line defensive center for minimal cost this year, and fairly cheap the next two, and it only cost a kid who's probably a bust. We get a small chance of good young player, and all it cost us is a little dead cap space.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:23 PM, kipwinger said:

Let's set aside the fact that you wished that twenty year old girl (whom you never even met) flunks out of med school, and/or that two people who seem to really care about each other ultimately break up.

Reread my post. I never said any that.You may not like hearing what I say, but at least I dont fabricate what other people say.

We'll just ignore what a miserably cynical point of view that actually is.

I was a using a figure of speech. I said "I am going to laugh when..." It was not literal. Do you really think that I would literally laugh at the misery of another person? JC. I may be cynical at times, but at least I try to give you all the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming someone's a heartless dirtbag based on a comment that wasn't even supposed to be taken seriously. Had I known that anyone was going to take it so literally i would have chosen better words for sure. And if by any chance Jacob and his fiancee happened to see it, then I apologize.

I would kill for a cup of coffee right now. Quick Kip, call the police!!! Neo is about murder someone!

What I'm REALLY wondering is what you do for a living that puts you in a position to give career advice to the 25 year old millionaire and his soon-to-be doctor girlfriend? 

My career has nothing to do with it. Making a long term career choice based on things that are not certain in another person's life is unwise IMO. You disagree? Cool.Would it not be wiser for Trouba to wait until his fiancee's path is more certain to make a decision like that? He has a whole year left on his contract. Why not wait to sign that long term contract? What if they don't get married? What if any of the things I mentioned in regards to her career actually happen? They could, right? Reality is so cynical. If I was going to move to another city, away from my family, and likely take a financial hit in the process, I might wanna wait to see if any of my fiancee's "dreams" actually come to fruition first. Is that so wrong? It seems silly to me to make life decisions based on things that MIGHT happen when patience and time could be utilized to make a more definitive choice. 

Oh and I'll remember you said this the next time you post an opinion about a player's career choice, since apparently we aren't supposed to have such opinions.

I bet you're a stock broker right?  Own your own wealth management firm?  Independently wealthy entrepreneur? 

Nope. Not any of those things. Just someone who believes that one can do something selfless and unwise at the same time. I am allowed to have an opinion, right? Or aren't we allowed to do that in here anymore.

On 6/18/2019 at 9:13 PM, Euro_Twins said:

Who is taking her dream away? Not me. If Trouba doesn't got to NY now and sign a long term deal now, does her "dream" suddenly die? Of course not? Are you implying that she's so fragile that she can't become a doctor without Jacob holding her hand.? Now that would be sad.

I get making sacrifices for loved ones, check my previous posts. I admired Green for choosing his family over chasing a cup.

As much as I have teased Suter for choosing to sign with Minnesota so that his wife could be closer to home, I actually respect his decision to do it, even though I didn't like it.

But their family situations we also much more concrete. They weren't really taking any risks in doing so. Their choices were both unselfish and safe. Good qualities to have in a spouse and parent IMO.

I just happen to believe that Trouba is potentially making a mistake that he could later regret. I just think that if he waits a little longer until his fiancee's future is more certain before making a long term commitment regarding his own future, there's a better chance everything works out for the best.

If that opinion makes me a d**k, than I guess I am a d**k.

53 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I was a using a figure of speech. I said "I am going to laugh when..." It was not literal. Do you really think that I would literally laugh at the misery of another person? JC. I may be cynical at times, but at least I try to give you all the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming someone's a heartless dirtbag based on a comment that wasn't even supposed to be taken seriously. ...

Wait, wait, wait... Kip calls you cynical for suggesting that Trouba's relationship, and/or his fiancee's career plans, will fall apart, and your defense is not that you were joking about that stuff happening, but just that you were joking about laughing if it does?

Just weighing in on this subject ...

She is doing her residency NOT getting a job as the chief of surgery of a major New York hospital.  Maybe the speciality she wanted to focus on was in NY.  Maybe getting licensed in NY opens more doors then say MI or MN etc.  Trouba was a super good dude and honored her request and got out of Winnipeg. Maybe it makes the home life happier without him being upset about work. Maybe the pressure of him doing this and talking about it publically causes her to wash out(would suck) but who knows .

Scenarios could go one way or another  maybe NY hospital offers her a gig or with her licensing acquired she can now go get that gig she always wanted at UofM or Mayo Clinic in Minnesota or the breast augmentation drive through in LA. 

Lots of variables in play and until I see him wearing a NY sports hat in an interview I will hold out he will be a Wing. If he doesn't oh well so be it we have lost on family issues before and survived.