• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

2019 Offseason Rebuild Thread, Pt. 2 - What's the Yzerplan?

Rate this topic

36 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Ya that’s not a surprise I’d be shocked if he didn’t return to get his 1000 games 

he also said he’d be making some free agency calls and offers and see if the numbers and term might work and certain guys but from the sounds of it and where the team is at I can’t imagije us locking guys down 

curious though as to who he might talk to come July 1 only can see Karlsson,Myers,edler,ferland, Maybe simmonds on a short deal? I can’t really see anyone else we’d be keeping an eye out for 

I assume he's making calls on anyone and everyone. But, yeah. Realistically, the market he's probably focusing on is the affordable, non-marquee, good-not-great guys, e.g. Michael Ferland, Brett Connolly, Mats Zuccarello, Colin Wilson, Anton Stralman. Hell, maybe even Nyquist.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I assume he's making calls on anyone and everyone. But, yeah. Realistically, the market he's probably focusing on is the affordable, non-marquee, good-not-great guys, e.g. Michael Ferland, Brett Connolly, Mats Zuccarello, Colin Wilson, Anton Stralman. Hell, maybe even Nyquist.

f*** pretty much hope he stays far away from everyone of the players you mentioned lol

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

And the ones you mentioned...

I don't think Yzerman should be in on ANY free agents this summer.

Agreed  minus Karlsson( If a 4 year deal is doable,which I doubt) was just trying to guess who he possibly  “might have interest in” but I think we should just stick with being patient and keep going in the right direction 

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

IRONY

Yes ironic, soak it in 

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Until Yzerman actually says "I'm not signing any UFAs", I'm going to assume he's signing at least one. 

Does witkowski count? Alrighttttt Luke! Stop f***en texting me nonstop I’ll give you a one year deal , smashes phone 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Maybe I have a Ken Holland attitude, but I think you should always sign FA's.

Definitely agree that those deals should be kept short though depending on the player. I'd like to take more project players than regulars in this FA. 

There are some young high-risk high-reward players out there I like, like Riley Barber who I've mentioned before, or Oscar Sundqvist out of the championship blues.

36 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Definitely agree that those deals should be kept short though depending on the player. I'd like to take more project players than regulars in this FA. 

There are some young high-risk high-reward players out there I like, like Riley Barber who I've mentioned before, or Oscar Sundqvist out of the championship blues.

I think Sundqvist is a RFA, could be wrong. I agree, he would be a pretty nice to get.

Wouldn't mind Meyers on a 2-3 year deal if we can get rid of Daley and if Kronwall retires.

I also think Yzerman should at least touch base with Nyquist and Duchene. Although I'm sure they both want more years than we'd be comfortable with at this point. 

Other than that, Simmonds for a year or two would be awesome if we could trade a veteran forward. 

Edited by amato

7 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Until Yzerman actually says "I'm not signing any UFAs", I'm going to assume he's signing at least one. 

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The "free agent frenzy" is built up for the contenders to add that one (or two) piece(s) they feel will put them over the top. A rebuilding team should have no interest in overpaying for players that will be past their prime (or closing in) by the time they're ready to compete.

If we really want to sign free agents, it should be young (22-23 year old) guys out of College (Hirose) or Europe (Kaski), that still have upside. Not 25+ year old castoffs that couldn't crack other teams' lineups... We already have a few NHL tweeners in de la Rose, Ehn, Hicketts, etc.

I don't want to get into any bidding wars over any long-term, big money players. If Yzerman wants to dip into free agency to add depth, like a Riley Barber for Grand Rapids, I'd be fine with that. If he wants to add depth for Detroit, I'd prefer to go the trade route. And by that I mean, a player like Callahan (or Marleau) that will help us add assets, not give them up.

6 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Agreed  minus Karlsson( If a 4 year deal is doable,which I doubt) was just trying to guess who he possibly  “might have interest in” but I think we should just stick with being patient and keep going in the right direction 

I have NO interest in Karlsson short-term or long-term. It makes no sense the position we're in. If we're going after the big fish, we might as well go after ALL the big fish (Panarin / Duchene) too. Trade our 6th overall pick, multiple 2nd's plus top prospects for a couple pieces that can help us win it all now. F***ing go for it... I'm sure Columbus have no regrets...

Stay the f***ing course...

54 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

The "free agent frenzy" is built up for the contenders to add that one (or two) piece(s) they feel will put them over the top. 1. A rebuilding team should have no interest in overpaying for players that will be past their prime (or closing in) by the time they're ready to compete.

If we really want to sign free agents, it should be young (22-23 year old) guys out of College (Hirose) or Europe (Kaski), that still have upside. Not 25+ year old castoffs that couldn't crack other teams' lineups... We already have a few NHL tweeners in de la Rose, Ehn, Hicketts, etc.

2. I don't want to get into any bidding wars over any long-term, big money players. If Yzerman wants to dip into free agency to add depth, like a Riley Barber for Grand Rapids, I'd be fine with that. If he wants to add depth for Detroit, I'd prefer to go the trade route. 3. And by that I mean, a player like Callahan (or Marleau) that will help us add assets, not give them up.

4. I have NO interest in Karlsson short-term or long-term. It makes no sense the position we're in. If we're going after the big fish, we might as well go after ALL the big fish (Panarin / Duchene) too. Trade our 6th overall pick, multiple 2nd's plus top prospects for a couple pieces that can help us win it all now. F***ing go for it... I'm sure Columbus have no regrets...

1. Who said anything about Yzerman overpaying for older players? 

2. Who said anything about long term big money players

3. If you were GM and helped Toronto out of some of their cap issues, I'd fire you. A Callahan trade would be acceptable. 

4. Me neither. Makes zero sense.

I think Yzerman could look to make a tweak. This is his team now and his vision for how this team should play hockey. No easier way to make a nudge then a shrewd UFA signing. There may be some value in some of the younger UFAs (Ferland, Dzingle, Connolly, Donskoi, Wilson) either to add some offence or some real actual jam to the bottom six. I'd rather see Ferland or Wilson rolling around out there then Ehn, for example. 

Bottom line, not saying he'll sign anyone but I'd be surprised if he didn't. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

5 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

1. Who said anything about Yzerman overpaying for older players? 

2. Who said anything about long term big money players

3. If you were GM and helped Toronto out of some of their cap issues, I'd fire you. A Callahan trade would be acceptable. 

4. Me neither. Makes zero sense.

I think Yzerman could look to make a tweak. This is his team now and his vision for how this team should play hockey. No easier way to make a nudge then a shrewd UFA signing. There may be some value in some of the younger UFAs (Ferland, Dzingle, Connolly, Donskoi, Wilson) either to add some offence or some real actual jam to the bottom six. I'd rather see Ferland or Wilson rolling around out there then Ehn, for example. 

Bottom line, not saying he'll sign anyone but I'd be surprised if he didn't. 

1. A lot of people... re: Karlsson.

2. A lot of people... re: Karlsson.

3. It's not about helping Tampa / Toronto resolve their cap issues... It's about helping the Red Wings. I obviously wouldn't just take Callahan / Marleau for the sake of taking on a bad contract. It would come at a big cost. For me, the trade would have to include Raddysh or Foote / Kapanen or Liljegren.

4. Which is where 1. and 2. are coming from. A LOT of Wings fans want to go all in on Karlsson. In my opinion, that would be extremely dumb.

I think Yzerman could make a tweak. I just don't think it's necessary. He's already made one shrewd UFA signing in Kaski, but I think that was already in the works before he was "officially" hired. Like I mentioned though, I think a shrewd trade would be the better option. In saying that, I wouldn't be too upset about a Connolly or Ferland signing, as long as we don't get into any bidding wars. As long as it's a short-term, low cap signing, Id be fine with it.

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

3. It's not about helping Tampa / Toronto resolve their cap issues... It's about helping the Red Wings. I obviously wouldn't just take Callahan / Marleau for the sake of taking on a bad contract. It would come at a big cost. For me, the trade would have to include Raddysh or Foote / Kapanen or Liljegren.

YES PLEASE. (especially to the bolded players) I would happily take on either player's cap hit if we got one of these prospects. Also, it's not like they're bad players.. their contracts are just bad. We have the time and cap space to eat those for a couple years here if it helps our future out... especially on defense. I'd be 100% for it.

23 minutes ago, amato said:

YES PLEASE. (especially to the bolded players) I would happily take on either player's cap hit if we got one of these prospects. Also, it's not like they're bad players.. their contracts are just bad. We have the time and cap space to eat those for a couple years here if it helps our future out... especially on defense. I'd be 100% for it.

That's why we draft Nolan Foote in the 2nd, then we can acquire Cal Foote in a trade and have both of them! Adam Foote would s*** himself! He'd have to become a huge Wings fan!

12 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Pretty good interview. 

Main takeaway:

1. He said word-for-word  when asked about free agency: "there are roster spots available". 

I wonder if this is how he currently views the forward group

Bert - Larkin - Mantha

?? - ?? - ??

AA - Nielsen - ??

Abdlekader - Glendenning - Helm

:lol:

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Watch Rasmussen explode this year. I know everyone has tempered expectations because of the pedestrian first year, but I'm tellin ya this kid is gonna explode at some point. I think it will be this coming season. Holmstrom + he's gonna be.

I hope I’m wrong and he turns it around, think he starts in Grand Rapids though

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

The "free agent frenzy" is built up for the contenders to add that one (or two) piece(s) they feel will put them over the top. A rebuilding team should have no interest in overpaying for players that will be past their prime (or closing in) by the time they're ready to compete.

I don't want to get into any bidding wars over any long-term, big money players. If Yzerman wants to dip into free agency to add depth, like a Riley Barber for Grand Rapids, I'd be fine with that. If he wants to add depth for Detroit, I'd prefer to go the trade route. And by that I mean, a player like Callahan (or Marleau) that will help us add assets, not give them up.

I have NO interest in Karlsson short-term or long-term. It makes no sense the position we're in. If we're going after the big fish, we might as well go after ALL the big fish (Panarin / Duchene) too. Trade our 6th overall pick, multiple 2nd's plus top prospects for a couple pieces that can help us win it all now. F***ing go for it... I'm sure Columbus have no regrets...

Difference between us and Columbus is Karlsson would cost us zero assets , if we decide to move him at any point he’d get us a 1st plus multiple assets back in return easily 

our biggest issue is defense and he’s easily one of the best defensement in the league, yes I know he dealt with injury issues but he’d still get 60-75 pts but I’d only be comfortable with a shorter deal up to 4 years not 7 

i do think longterm it would be better to not sign anyone so we get a top 5 pick in a very deep 2020 draft and with where Detroit is I highly doubt he comes , only like 2 hrs to Ottawa by plane though and if Alfie talked us up it could happen although very unlikely ... I’d say surprisingly Montreal is the #1 place right now with all the rumours 

9 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Pretty good interview. 

Main takeaway:

1. He said word-for-word  when asked about free agency: "there are roster spots available". 

I wonder if this is how he currently views the forward group

Bert - Larkin - Mantha

?? - ?? - ??

AA - Nielsen - ??

Abdlekader - Glendenning - Helm

:lol:

Abdelkader has a zero percent chance of being moved but man I hope yzerman pulls  some crazy s*** and somehow gets Nielsen and helm moved 

4 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Abdelkader has a zero percent chance of being moved but man I hope yzerman pulls  some crazy s*** and somehow gets Nielsen and helm moved 

Larkin

Athanasiou

Mantha

Bertuzzi

Hirose

Zadina

Rasmussen

Veleno

Cozens

Glendening

Ehn

DeLaRose

1 minute ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Larkin

Athanasiou

Mantha

Bertuzzi

Hirose

Zadina - Probably starts in Detroit but wouldn’t say its etched in stone 

Rasmussen - Probably starts in Grand Rapids 

Veleno - Probably starts in Grand Rapids 

Cozens - podkolzin 

Glendening

Ehn

DeLaRose - Probably strarts in the stands 

13 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Difference between us and Columbus is Karlsson would cost us zero assets , if we decide to move him at any point he’d get us a 1st plus multiple assets back in return easily 

our biggest issue is defense and he’s easily one of the best defensement in the league, yes I know he dealt with injury issues but he’d still get 60-75 pts but I’d only be comfortable with a shorter deal up to 4 years not 7 

i do think longterm it would be better to not sign anyone so we get a top 5 pick in a very deep 2020 draft and with where Detroit is I highly doubt he comes , only like 2 hrs to Ottawa by plane though and if Alfie talked us up it could happen although very unlikely ... I’d say surprisingly Montreal is the #1 place right now with all the rumours 

Karlsson isn't signing a short-term contract with a contender, let alone a rebuilding team. If for whatever reason Karlsson does choose to sign in Detroit (he won't), we wouldn't flip him for picks.

Our biggest issue is that we're a bad team. Karlsson doesn't change that. Continue building through youth and draft picks. No quick fixes.

9 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Bad contracts are traded ALL the time. Apparently Holland has interest in Zaitsev... Abdelkader can be traded, but I'm okay with keeping him around for at least another season or two.

Yzerman wouldn't have to pull off any crazy s*** to trade Nielsen or Helm. Both are easily tradable pieces. 

19 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Karlsson isn't signing a short-term contract with a contender, let alone a rebuilding team. If for whatever reason Karlsson does choose to sign in Detroit (he won't), we wouldn't flip him for picks.

Our biggest issue is that we're a bad team. Karlsson doesn't change that. Continue building through youth and draft picks. No quick fixes.

Bad contracts are traded ALL the time. Apparently Holland has interest in Zaitsev... Abdelkader can be traded, but I'm okay with keeping him around for at least another season or two.

Yzerman wouldn't have to pull off any crazy s*** to trade Nielsen or Helm. Both are easily tradable pieces. 

Probably not but I don’t know how many contending teams would sign him for 7 years with the issues he’s been dealing with, maybe Montreal? Can’t think of anyone else ... and yes if we got him I can’t see him being moved but if we signed him for 4 years let’s say and year 4 it’s clear we won’t make the playoffs provided he doesn’t pull a green and is hurt we’d easily get a nice return back 

i do agree that we’re a bad team but I also think we’re not as bad as our record stated , I think our coach is a problem and we have a lot of good pieces , obviously goaltending will be an issue with Howard on the verge of retiring but say we got Karlsson we’d have Karlsson,hronek and green on the back end which isn’t too shabby and the obvious Bert mantha Larkin line that was on fire along with AA, maybe zadina and hirose? Nice prospects coming +this years draft but I mean I get what your saying , we won’t win a cup and last thing we want is Karlsson coming and getting us 10th overall next June rather than #3,2,1 

all depends what yzerman does this offseason , can’t really see anybody having interest in abdelkader were forced to keep him at least a few more seasons and then buying him out, at 5+ for Nielsen for another 3 years and 35 I don’t trading him is as easy as you might believe, we’d 100% have to eat salary and I’d be calling the gm that signed him but problem is they have enough bad contracts to deal with themselves 

July 1:

Karlsson $10 mil AAV x 7 years
Nyquist $6 mil AAV x 5 years

1 hour ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I think he knows this and will really fight at camp to earn his spot. Hope he earns it, but I'll be fine with him in GR.