• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringBack19

Report: Detroit to name Steve Yzerman as GM

Rate this topic

I'm probably not as nuts about this as everyone else, but it is what it is.  I do feel a little bad for Ryan Martin though.  Have to assume he had the inside track on this GM position until the Yzerman news.  I'd expect him to be running an NHL team in the near future. 

32 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'm probably not as nuts about this as everyone else, but it is what it is.  I do feel a little bad for Ryan Martin though.  Have to assume he had the inside track on this GM position until the Yzerman news.  I'd expect him to be running an NHL team in the near future. 

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic.  Yzerman helped build a regular season winner in TB, but no Cups.  If he's a great GM, so is Doug Wilson.  

6 minutes ago, wingsgirl001 said:

OH MY GOOODDDDDDD!!!!

Is anyone else jumping around in their living room like an overexcited 5 year old on Christmas morning?!? :w00t2:

yes, I am, but I'm at work with a happy knot in my stomach and spazzing out!!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic.  Yzerman helped build a regular season winner in TB, but no Cups.  If he's a great GM, so is Doug Wilson.  

Exactly.  Plus he was gifted elite talent to begin with.  I do like his propensity to buyout/waive older players and hope that his arrival will mean that the free lunch for guys like Abby/Ericsson/Helm/Dekeyser/Glendening is over.  Not that I necessarily want to see ALL of these guys gone, but I do think they'd benefit from knowing that their jobs aren't as safe as they once were. 

From Mlive Chelly weighing in 

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2019/04/timing-perfect-for-steve-yzerman-as-red-wings-gm-says-chris-chelios.html

I did a lol at this sentence

"Holland apparently will remain with the Red Wings, as president of hockey operations or some other executive capacity. "

Kind of  a thanks Kenny for your time do whatever but our favorite son is back..

7 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Exactly.  Plus he was gifted elite talent to begin with.  I do like his propensity to buyout/waive older players and hope that his arrival will mean that the free lunch for guys like Abby/Ericsson/Helm/Dekeyser/Glendening is over.  Not that I necessarily want to see ALL of these guys gone, but I do think they'd benefit from knowing that their jobs aren't as safe as they once were. 

As much as I do hope Stevie sheds some dead weight I also hope these guys show up at camp real ready to try to impress on their new gm. 

Man, this is good for us on so many levels!

Yzerman clearly had to sign off on Blashill extension. The team will continue to improve next year but still probably misses the playoffs so the coaching spot is indifferent at this point, however no coach would sign a one year extension so he is given 2 years. After next year if Vegas falls back to earth and misses the playoffs or goes out early, Gallant will be the next coach to take over the team as it ascends to the next level and competes for the cup again. Things that could derail this.. Vegas winning the cup... and the fact that i have no idea if they even like each other but it sound like a hella cool 80's reunion thing. 

2 minutes ago, slavetothehotlight said:

Yzerman clearly had to sign off on Blashill extension. The team will continue to improve next year but still probably misses the playoffs so the coaching spot is indifferent at this point, however no coach would sign a one year extension so he is given 2 years. After next year if Vegas falls back to earth and misses the playoffs or goes out early, Gallant will be the next coach to take over the team as it ascends to the next level and competes for the cup again. Things that could derail this.. Vegas winning the cup... and the fact that i have no idea if they even like each other but it sound like a hella cool 80's reunion thing. 

This is an interesting thought.  Everyone said Holland was an idiot for bringing back Blashill.  So if Yzerman signed off on it, is he also an idiot? 

Wonder what this does for Devellano, Martin, and Draper?

Holland is certainly bound to leave.

Some time ago it was mentioned how Yzerman enjoys having assistant GM Pat Verbeek as part of his front office in Tampa...Will he join Stevie in Detroit?

7 minutes ago, slavetothehotlight said:

Yzerman, and Gallant are good friends off ice...Would not surprise me at all if Gerard joined the Wings in some capacity - however I don't know how Stevie would feel about firing an old friend if it came down to that.

3 minutes ago, Echolalia said:

Ken Holland went from the undisputed best GM to ever walk the planet to the worst GM in the league in the fan’s eyes.  I wonder what might happen with Yzerman if the Wings haven’t won a cup in 3-5 years.

Truth be told - I have a feeling that in a few seasons - the 'new' CBA might benefit GMs.

What I'm getting at is - the max signing of players is 8 yrs if that team holds their rights...7 yrs for a free agent...I recall some talk of reducing both of those max terms - however I can see the NHLPA accepting that only if the UFA age/restrictions are reduced as well.

He did fall into a good situation with Stamkos and had some pretty good vets in Vinny and St Louis.  But Hedman had just been drafted the year before, so he was pretty raw and Yzerman had to make sure he got the right staff to make best use of his talents.  Then he went on to draft Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Drouin and Brayden Point.  He also made a number of good trades while he was there.  So its not like he walked into a situation where the team was already stacked with talent, a Cup contender and he was just there for the ride. 

3 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

He did fall into a good situation with Stamkos and had some pretty good vets in Vinny and St Louis.  But Hedman had just been drafted the year before, so he was pretty raw and Yzerman had to make sure he got the right staff to make best use of his talents.  Then he went on to draft Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Drouin and Brayden Point.  He also made a number of good trades while he was there.  So its not like he walked into a situation where the team was already stacked with talent, a Cup contender and he was just there for the ride. 

And truth be told - the Douin, and St.Louis situations were handled quite well, or as well as one could expect.....Wait a second - does this mean the Wings won't be drafting any more French Canadians :g:

6 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

This is an interesting thought.  Everyone said Holland was an idiot for bringing back Blashill.  So if Yzerman signed off on it, is he also an idiot? 

I don't think so. I think as i said the coach of this team is a bit indifferent right now so maybe that was his reasoning. Its a no lose situation with Blashill, either the team surprises and overachieves and that would be fine or the team misses the playoffs again and Yzerman has at that point the ability and reasoning to bring in his next choice. If he brings in his first choice right off the bat and the team struggles again next year then  maybe his stock declines. Blashill is a safe choice for at least another year. He at least officially speaking is not responsible for his extension so he has a bit of a built in safety net, even though I'm sure he was part of it.