• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringBack19

Report: Detroit to name Steve Yzerman as GM

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic.  Yzerman helped build a regular season winner in TB, but no Cups.  If he's a great GM, so is Doug Wilson.  

Well regular season a winner is a first step for us if you haven’t noticed

41 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic.  Yzerman helped build a regular season winner in TB, but no Cups.  If he's a great GM, so is Doug Wilson.  

24 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Exactly.  Plus he was gifted elite talent to begin with.  I do like his propensity to buyout/waive older players and hope that his arrival will mean that the free lunch for guys like Abby/Ericsson/Helm/Dekeyser/Glendening is over.  Not that I necessarily want to see ALL of these guys gone, but I do think they'd benefit from knowing that their jobs aren't as safe as they once were. 

13 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

This is an interesting thought.  Everyone said Holland was an idiot for bringing back Blashill.  So if Yzerman signed off on it, is he also an idiot? 

I don't buy that Yzerman has proven to be the superior GM.

I don't buy that Yzerman taking over radically alters the calculus of the rebuild and "puts the Wings back on track."

I DO feel Yzerman taking over is an entirely positive thing. At worst, it's business as usual, at least for his first year or two. (See: Yzerman signing off on the Blashill extension, which, to me, says he's not going to come in like a wrecking ball.)

Here's the thing that really excites me, beyond the warm and fuzzy feelings about The Captain coming home and all that: We don't know what we're getting. We don't know what a 21st century DRW franchise managed by someone not named Ken Holland looks like. This has ship has been captained by Ken Holland for an entire generation. What happens when he's no longer at the helm?

We're going to find out. And that, my friends, is a very HYPE! thing.

I was not expecting to read this today, but I am extremely pumped to see Yzerman coming home. Guy was my idol growing up, and it always rubbed me the wrong way seeing him in TB. I remember during some tribute at the Joe, Yzerman was on the screen wearing a TB jacket, and it just didnt look right.

Completely agree with what @Dabura said two posts above.I think that Yzerman is going to be very similar to Holland, however where I think they differ is I think Yzerman is more likely to move some of "Hollands guys".

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

This is an interesting thought.  Everyone said Holland was an idiot for bringing back Blashill.  So if Yzerman signed off on it, is he also an idiot? 

No, the people that said that are idiots...

Super excited for this new era in Wings hockey.  First off, THANK YOU KENNY!  You brought us some AMAZING accomplishments in your time.  Not always what the fans/myself wanted, and I questioned and swore your name often, but you overall slate of work was outstanding.  Thank you.

Although freakin super pumped about Stevie...now that this is official...it's kind of bittersweet.  Stevie had closed out his career here in Detroit in the classiest way, and really couldn't have walk away in better standing with the Wings fan base.  He was The Captain and beloved by all of Detroit.  Now, another chapter.  Will I be hating on/critical of Stevie in the future??  Yep, likely won't agree with some of his moves.  That's what sucks, sometime in the future I'm going to be critical of Stevie and I never thought I'd be in that position after he retired.  For me, will i now have to compartmentalize that he was a LEGENDARY player for us...but not so much as our GM?  Hoping I won't, but prepared to do so...being a GM is tough.  Dam...I kind of liked him up on that pedestal under the glass case.

6 minutes ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

Super excited for this new era in Wings hockey.  First off, THANK YOU KENNY!  You brought us some AMAZING accomplishments in your time.  Not always what the fans/myself wanted, and I questioned and swore your name often, but you overall slate of work was outstanding.  Thank you.

Although freakin super pumped about Stevie...now that this is official...it's kind of bittersweet.  Stevie had closed out his career here in Detroit in the classiest way, and really couldn't have walk away in better standing with the Wings fan base.  He was The Captain and beloved by all of Detroit.  Now, another chapter.  Will I be hating on/critical of Stevie in the future??  Yep, likely won't agree with some of his moves.  That's what sucks, sometime in the future I'm going to be critical of Stevie and I never thought I'd be in that position after he retired.  For me, will i now have to compartmentalize that he was a LEGENDARY player for us...but not so much as our GM?  Hoping I won't, but prepared to do so...being a GM is tough.  Dam...I kind of liked him up on that pedestal under the glass case.

Perhaps his moves cause the cup to come home a couple of times I think 3 is a good number before he retires(one can wish). Then he is both a LEGENDARY player AND LEGENDARY GM. No way does he come back to the Wings without the thought he can take us to the promised land. 

48 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I don't buy that Yzerman has proven to be the superior GM.

I don't buy that Yzerman taking over radically alters the calculus of the rebuild and "puts the Wings back on track."

I DO feel Yzerman taking over is an entirely positive thing. At worst, it's business as usual, at least for his first year or two. (See: Yzerman signing off on the Blashill extension, which, to me, says he's not going to come in like a wrecking ball.)

Here's the thing that really excites me, beyond the warm and fuzzy feelings about The Captain coming home and all that: We don't know what we're getting. We don't know what a 21st century DRW franchise managed by someone not named Ken Holland looks like. This has ship has been captained by Ken Holland for an entire generation. What happens when he's no longer at the helm?

We're going to find out. And that, my friends, is a very HYPE! thing.

You're more than welcome to follow your boy Kenny to the newly formed letsgosockeyes.com forum.  

3 hours ago, gcom007 said:

I can’t believe this is happening. I thought this was going to be a Rick Roll or prank for sure. I did a double-take on the date to make sure it wasn’t April Fools. Wow.

I really didn’t think it would happen this quick. Super exciting day. Welcome home, Stevie!

Also, first move: Dylan Larkin named as Captain.

Omg, to be named captain by the captain!:wub:

29 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

You're more than welcome to follow your boy Kenny to the newly formed letsgosockeyes.com forum.  

He's not wrong. While I am happy Yzerman is taking over, and while I do think Yzerman is a better choice to lead in 2019 then Holland, let's not forget that even if you erase everything Holland did prior to 2003, Yzerman still hasn't accomplished what Holland has accomplished. Hopefully he does.

4 hours ago, xtrememachine1 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  They knew Stevie was going to be the new GM, so they had to have consulted with him about keeping Blashill.  No way they sign him to an extension without Yzerman's consent.  

I dont think they could have tho. He was still under contract with TB. They could not have started any kind of day to day business involving Y while under another contract. Big no-no.

1 minute ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Why didn't they do it on 19/19/19?

I understand why they didnt do it on 04/20 tho? Most of u would have assumed u were hallucinating from ur gonjo trip.

What's a 420? 

Unfortunately my good friday church proceedings start @ 3pm so I will miss the presser but I will watch it later

10 minutes ago, xault said:

Pretty happy the Wings are bringing back Yzerman. 

To be honest, Holland has started to win me back over the last 2 seasons. He's done some great drafting, he has his flaws without a doubt and I am sure Yzerman will as well.

Anyone have a link to his press conference?

You can watch it live on the Red Wings facebook and twitter pages if you have either of those. 

28 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Been watching it. Holland looks so ******* crushed. And half in the bag. Look on the bright side, Kenny, you now have a cushy senior VP job where fans can't bag on you for team building.

Holland is not "crushed". He's a big reason Yzerman is back...