• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringBack19

Report: Detroit to name Steve Yzerman as GM

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Ahh, well he looked pretty glum during that presser. Maybe someone died?

He's handing over the job he's occupied for 20 years to someone else. That has to be, in some way, emotionally draining. It was probably sinking in at the press conference that its all done. He's moving on/up.

On 4/19/2019 at 11:07 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He's handing over the job he's occupied for 20 years to someone else. That has to be, in some way, emotionally draining. It was probably sinking in at the press conference that its all done. He's moving on/up.

Yeah I agree. 22 years is such a long time, even if he was a major part of Yzerman taking over, like the Wings are playing it out to be. No way it's doesn't effect him in some way.

This was right after. He appears to be more up beat, I think?

Edited by xault

Did anyone glean how long Yzerman is signed for? I haven't been able to find any details on that. Holland apparently signed a multi-year extension in his new position and it sounds like he is staying put, but I could see him moving on to Seattle if they come calling in 2020sh. I think a big part of it is that he and Yzerman are really good friends, so that has to be a nice reason to stick around in an executive position. I just hope Yzerman is allowed to spread his wings, so to speak, and not be hampered by Holland/Illitch on whatever direction he wants to go (trading players, buying out players, signing players). Obviously, Holland will have input, but it better be Yzerman's show to run and make decisions. If this team doesn't take a step forward and show player growth again this upcoming season, I hope he has the latitude to fire Blashill, if he deems it appropriate. 

I wonder if Draper will end up being a GM somewhere. 2 Years ago before Yzerman step down from being GM in TBL. I was fairly sure, Draper was on track of taking over. I just couldn't see Yzerman leaving TBL at the time.

2 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Did anyone glean how long Yzerman is signed for? I haven't been able to find any details on that. Holland apparently signed a multi-year extension in his new position and it sounds like he is staying put, but I could see him moving on to Seattle if they come calling in 2020sh. I think a big part of it is that he and Yzerman are really good friends, so that has to be a nice reason to stick around in an executive position. I just hope Yzerman is allowed to spread his wings, so to speak, and not be hampered by Holland/Illitch on whatever direction he wants to go (trading players, buying out players, signing players). Obviously, Holland will have input, but it better be Yzerman's show to run and make decisions. If this team doesn't take a step forward and show player growth again this upcoming season, I hope he has the latitude to fire Blashill, if he deems it appropriate. 

At one point in the presser Steve answered a question saying "we'll see in 5 years" or "I'll let you know in 5 year's." Something to that effect. I'm not sure if he was letting leak out his personal goal for having success or if he was referring to that because his contract is for 5 years. But that's the only time I heard anything about years.

4 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Forever.

6 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Holland won't be here long.  He still wants to run the show and be a GM somewhere.

this is a wonderful day to be a red wing fan - I am so pumped right now

finally some god damn excitement for our organization - finally!

it has been a rough last 3 years to watch and with bringing in Y I feel we can finally turn the page and start the next era - it was time for a change and change in this situation is better for us all

time to get back where we have always been and start attracting players here and making the right moves (still a lot of work to do) but I am confident we have found the right guy for at least the next 5 years.

GO WINGS GO!!!!!

On 4/19/2019 at 12:23 PM, Dabura said:

I don't buy that Yzerman has proven to be the superior GM.

I don't buy that Yzerman taking over radically alters the calculus of the rebuild and "puts the Wings back on track."

I DO feel Yzerman taking over is an entirely positive thing. At worst, it's business as usual, at least for his first year or two. (See: Yzerman signing off on the Blashill extension, which, to me, says he's not going to come in like a wrecking ball.)

Here's the thing that really excites me, beyond the warm and fuzzy feelings about The Captain coming home and all that: We don't know what we're getting. We don't know what a 21st century DRW franchise managed by someone not named Ken Holland looks like. This has ship has been captained by Ken Holland for an entire generation. What happens when he's no longer at the helm?

We're going to find out. And that, my friends, is a very HYPE! thing.

Yes we ARE going to find out. I know this will sound stupid, but I do have faith in Steve Yzerman and I dont know, call it a hunch:  It's going to take some time. I do believe he will lead our team back into contention   We will become a cup contender again, sooner rather than later   

ieve he will improve our team and eventually lead us back to contention. 

2 hours ago, DBR said:

Yes we ARE going to find out. I know this will sound stupid, but I do have faith in Steve Yzerman and I dont know, call it a hunch:  It's going to take some time. I do believe he will lead our team back into contention   We will become a cup contender again, sooner rather than later   

ieve he will improve our team and eventually lead us back to contention. 

That doesn't sound stupid at all; it's perfectly rational to have faith in Yzerman. He did a great job in Tampa. He knows what the Wings organization is all about. He has a bigger love and deeper appreciation for the Winged Wheel than 99.9% of the people on this planet have. I believe the Wings are in very good hands.

I just hope people aren't expecting miracles. Like you said, and like Yzerman himself said, it's going to take some time.

Edited by Dabura

7 hours ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

Holland won't be here long.  He still wants to run the show and be a GM somewhere.

I disagree. I think he's done with the hands on managerial stuff. I think that's why he worked hard on bringing Y in. I could see Seattle bringing him onboard in some kind of advisory role, but not as GM. 

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I disagree. I think he's done with the hands on managerial stuff. I think that's why he worked hard on bringing Y in. I could see Seattle bringing him onboard in some kind of advisory role, but not as GM. 

I'm guessing he takes a GM job elsewhere at some point. Yzerman said the advisor thing didn't feel right, that he missed GMing. I'm assuming Holland will go through the same thing.

He does love Detroit and the Red Wings tho. And he's not facing the family situation that Yzerman was facing. So who knows at this point.

Things aren't even THAT bad right now. The young core had a great year, lots to build on. I see fans of teams that made/are still in the playoffs complaining about how their team sucks and chokes and all that, and I always think, f*** we've been spoiled as Wings fans for a long time. No fans of other teams can even bash us for sucking right now due to the quarter century of success we came out of.

21 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Things aren't even THAT bad right now. The young core had a great year, lots to build on. I see fans of teams that made/are still in the playoffs complaining about how their team sucks and chokes and all that, and I always think, f*** we've been spoiled as Wings fans for a long time. No fans of other teams can even bash us for sucking right now due to the quarter century of success we came out of.

My name is Dabura and I approve this message.

It's all about perspective.

On 4/20/2019 at 5:52 PM, Dabura said:

I'm guessing he takes a GM job elsewhere at some point. Yzerman said the advisor thing didn't feel right, that he missed GMing. I'm assuming Holland will go through the same thing.

He does love Detroit and the Red Wings tho. And he's not facing the family situation that Yzerman was facing. So who knows at this point.

Holland is also like 65 years old and he brought in a guy to take the job he already had. Cant imagine he would do that if he wanted to continue to GM. I suppose he could "miss it" later on, but at his age I think he probably takes on a role like Scotty Bowman has in Chicago if he goes to another team.

On 4/20/2019 at 6:48 PM, brett said:

its cute but isnt going to change much

Kinda like ur unceasing optimism.