• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringBack19

Report: Detroit to name Steve Yzerman as GM

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Yzerman wont run the team like Holland.  He will work more than 3 days a year.

I was referring to management style. Yzerman will have his own unique way of running things, but Stevie and Holland are more alike than different. If people are expecting drastic changes, they're going ro be disappointed.

11 hours ago, greenrebellion said:

How long does that last?

Yzerman will get a LONG leash from fans. He's a hero in Detroit. That will give him a pass for years. Seeing as how this team is already on the way up, they will only get better under Y's tenure. There will undoubtedly be ignorant ( or willfully blind) fans who give Yzerman ALL the credit (and Holland none of it). This will actually help extend Stevie's approval rating even longer.

Long story short. I think Yzerman has nothing to worry about for at least 10 years.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

30 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I was referring to management style. Yzerman will have his own unique way of running things, but Stevie and Holland are more alike than different. If people are expecting drastic changes, they're going ro be disappointed.

Yzerman will get a LONG leash from fans. He's a hero in Detroit. That will give him a pass for years. Seeing as how this team is already on the way up, they will only get better under Y's tenure. There will undoubtedly be ignorant ( or willfully blind) fans who give Yzerman ALL the credit (and Holland none of it). This will actually help extend Stevie's approval rating even longer.

Long story short. I think Yzerman has nothing to worry about for at least 10 years.

We shall see.  I hope he keeps Hollands loyalty, but reserves it for only top players like Larkin and AA.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:07 AM, Dabura said:

@ChristopherReevesLegs get in here!

On 4/19/2019 at 9:10 AM, Akakabuto said:

He is too Hype! to type

Of course i leave for vacation on Thursday and Yzerman is named GM on Friday. Ive been sippin mai tais on the beach like a fool with no clue whats been going guys. Finally turned my phone on. 

Obviouslly Im thrilled. I also see that there is a rumor that Yzerman is attempting to bring Fedorov back to the wings in an assistant position. Holy s***. The gangs gettin back together for real. Feds was just GM of champion CSKA Moscow. He could be a serious assest luring over more Russian players like Podkolzin. Russian 5 2.0. Also that 91 would fersure get retired.

Also Holland rejected the Edmonton job apparently? He's either gonna remain a Wing the next few years and then jet to join me in Seattle or he's gonna retire a wing. 

I really feel like we are not just turning the page here and entering a new chapter. We are throwing out the whole book and starting a new one. The possibility of Stevie bringing Feds and Verbeek and Murray with him should have u diamond hard. This franchise has seemingly modernized almost overnight. 

We will be competitive in 5 years. Mark it. Love u losers. Rejoice. *tips pina colada*

Ill return to my regularly scheduled posting Thursday morning 

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Of course i leave for vacation on Thursday and Yzerman is named GM on Friday. Ive been sippin mai tais on the beach like a fool with no clue whats been going guys. Finally turned my phone on. 

Obviouslly Im thrilled. I also see that there is a rumor that Yzerman is attempting to bring Fedorov back to the wings in an assistant position. Holy s***. The gangs gettin back together for real. Feds was just GM of champion CSKA Moscow. He could be a serious assest luring over more Russian players like Podkolzin. Russian 5 2.0. Also that 91 would fersure get retired.

Also Holland rejected the Edmonton job apparently? He's either gonna remain a Wing the next few years and then jet to join me in Seattle or he's gonna retire a wing. 

I really feel like we are not just turning the page here and entering a new chapter. We are throwing out the whole book and starting a new one. The possibility of Stevie bringing Feds and Verbeek and Murray with him should have u diamond hard. This franchise has seemingly modernized almost overnight. 

We will be competitive in 5 years. Mark it. Love u losers. Rejoice. *tips pina colada*

Ill return to my regularly scheduled posting Thursday morning 

Thank you for getting in here.

ttys

22 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

At least when Yzerman runs the team similarly to Holland, we wont have to hear all of the FIRE Yzerman! talk. For a while anyway.

He will be fundamentally different though. Look at the players Yzerman traded for, drafted, or signed.  He likes high skill players that can be taught defensive parts of the game. He doesn't acquire players that are pure grinders, defensive, because you cannot teach skill.

Let us also remember than he was one of the biggest pursuers of Karlsson when he was on the trading block.  It may not work financially, unless he can move Abby or Helm and Ericsson or Daley, but I can see him trying to make a run at both Karlsson and Panarin. Regarding the draft, if Byrum and Cozens go 4 and 5, I really see him taking someone like Cole Caufield. The kid's stock is rising, he might even go top 5 (which will probably drop one of the other two to us.)  But, Yzerman loves that type of player.  Not build an entire team of them, but Caufield is about as close to Tyler Johnson as he can get. I wouldn't be surprised.

58 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

He will be fundamentally different though. Look at the players Yzerman traded for, drafted, or signed.  He likes high skill players that can be taught defensive parts of the game. He doesn't acquire players that are pure grinders, defensive, because you cannot teach skill.

Let us also remember than he was one of the biggest pursuers of Karlsson when he was on the trading block.  It may not work financially, unless he can move Abby or Helm and Ericsson or Daley, but I can see him trying to make a run at both Karlsson and Panarin. Regarding the draft, if Byrum and Cozens go 4 and 5, I really see him taking someone like Cole Caufield. The kid's stock is rising, he might even go top 5 (which will probably drop one of the other two to us.)  But, Yzerman loves that type of player.  Not build an entire team of them, but Caufield is about as close to Tyler Johnson as he can get. I wouldn't be surprised.

I agree with you that in giving Yzerman the reigns we just became a mover n shaker. Im suddenly considering if he he will pursue Karlsson or if he will perform some trade I couldnt have foreseen. The most important thing for yzerman right now should be building his team. Is that Holland Fischer, Draper, Devellano, Wright, and Martin? Or does he bring in Fedorov? Verbeek? Murray? Pushor? Larionov? 

I am excited by the possibilities. The Red Wings have made a fantastic decision with Stevie.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:57 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

At least when Yzerman runs the team similarly to Holland, we wont have to hear all of the FIRE Yzerman! talk. For a while anyway.

How exactly is he going to run the team similarly to Holland? He told you this over the phone too? 

You and hockeymom got some phone call basis on these dudes that I’m missing out on.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Yzerman had a contender in TB. Going after Karlsson made sense. Wings are not a contender, they're rebuilding. Going after Karlsson wouldnt make sense. Different teams, different moves.

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

How exactly is he going to run the team similarly to Holland? He told you this over the phone too? 

You and hockeymom got some phone call basis on these dudes that I’m missing out on.

Generally when u mentor under someone, you develop a similar way/style as your mentor. Identical? No. Similar? Yes. Nothing too radical here.

4 hours ago, kickazz said:

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yzerman had a contender in TB. Going after Karlsson made sense. Wings are not a contender, they're rebuilding. Going after Karlsson wouldnt make sense. Different teams, different moves.

Generally when u mentor under someone, you develop a similar way/style as your mentor. Identical? No. Similar? Yes. Nothing too radical here.

Don't bother, guys only going after you because he doesn't like your politics. Hockeymom is one of the nicest posters on here and he insults her as well for seemingly no other reason than to be a dick.

Trash is trash

I do think Yzerman will make similar moves to Holland, but I also think Yzerman is more adept at the modern NHL and will take riskier moves.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

4 hours ago, kickazz said:

He did pretty much say he would in his interview.

https://player.fm/series/the-valenti-show-1511420

5 hours ago, kliq said:

He did pretty much say he would in his interview.

https://player.fm/series/the-valenti-show-1511420

He just gave a very generic response and said was he would have acquired draft picks too. I would do the same too.

He did make a subtle remark about differences in their negotiating style. That’s huge because our contracts under Holland sucked.

He made no mention of what’s going to happen moving forward. It’s all speculation until he says so/ makes decisions moving forward. I.E does he make trades? Does he push hard in free agency? He hasn’t really talked about any of that and has been vague about it.

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Nah that’s pure speculation. We won’t know till we see. Generally when a GM/CEO is hired (sports or corporation etc) he knows it’s expected that he brings in a new perspectives rather than an old one.

Holland hung on to vets, signed untradable contracts, and was trying to build through draft and didn’t go after big time free agents. It was a safe approach. Maybe Yzerman continues the draft build similar to Holland, which is fine. I’m curious to see how he handles vets, kids, contracts, free agency and trades. 

Edited by kickazz

no matter what he said or how you interpreted it, he has a history you can look back on, 8 years worth. And in those 8 years, he was nothing like Holland. That is what I am going by. Yzerman has made his own career and has his own style.  Do I expect sweeping changes this summer? Probably not, but, contrary to what may have been said, I can guarantee he has been watching this team the entire season, as a "fan" and knows the direction he is going.  "Let's Get To Work" doesn't mean remain status quo. It means he knows what he wants to do. Holland would never say anything like that, he wold be more interested in "having conversations" with his UFA's and "if they want to come back" he would more than likely give them a contract, because, you know, veterans and stuff.  Yzerman is gong to just as aggressive as when he ran the lighting. Sure, we don't have Stamkos or Hedman already, but if he trims fat (Daley, Ericsson, Helm, et al) and somehow convinces the likes of Karlsson and Panarin to come here, add to that the core we have already, we'd be on an express elevator to the playoffs in his first season.  We would just need to find a real starting goaltender.  (I can't say enough how glad I am that Holland signed Bernier instead of Lehner when he had the choice.  It all had to do with his loyalty to Howard, because Lehner wanted a starting job and Holland probably said we already have a starter...well, thanks Kenny. Lehner at $1.5M, Bernier at $3.0M, oh well, thank God that GM is no longer in charge of that!)

I'm not going to judge Yzerman of course, but I hope he does keep up the aggressiveness!

Buyout/Trade/Waive BOTH Ericsson and Daley.

Trade Helm (Babs might be looking for change in Toronto now!)

take a serious run at Karlsson and Panarin. I watched the SJ game last night, Karlsson is tons better than anything we got, IMO pay the man and bring him here! Panarin is a pure sniper, we need something like that!

At the draft, take the gamble on Caufield.

Again, not judging Yzerman, these are just the type of aggressiveness I'd like to see. But hey, at least it's not Holland!

56 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

no matter what he said or how you interpreted it, he has a history you can look back on, 8 years worth. And in those 8 years, he was nothing like Holland. That is what I am going by. Yzerman has made his own career and has his own style.  Do I expect sweeping changes this summer? Probably not, but, contrary to what may have been said, I can guarantee he has been watching this team the entire season, as a "fan" and knows the direction he is going.  "Let's Get To Work" doesn't mean remain status quo. It means he knows what he wants to do. Holland would never say anything like that, he wold be more interested in "having conversations" with his UFA's and "if they want to come back" he would more than likely give them a contract, because, you know, veterans and stuff.  Yzerman is gong to just as aggressive as when he ran the lighting. Sure, we don't have Stamkos or Hedman already, but if he trims fat (Daley, Ericsson, Helm, et al) and somehow convinces the likes of Karlsson and Panarin to come here, add to that the core we have already, we'd be on an express elevator to the playoffs in his first season.  We would just need to find a real starting goaltender.  (I can't say enough how glad I am that Holland signed Bernier instead of Lehner when he had the choice.  It all had to do with his loyalty to Howard, because Lehner wanted a starting job and Holland probably said we already have a starter...well, thanks Kenny. Lehner at $1.5M, Bernier at $3.0M, oh well, thank God that GM is no longer in charge of that!)

I'm not going to judge Yzerman of course, but I hope he does keep up the aggressiveness!

take a serious run at Karlsson and Panarin. I watched the SJ game last night, Karlsson is tons better than anything we got, IMO pay the man and bring him here! Panarin is a pure sniper, we need something like that!

Again, not judging Yzerman, these are just the type of aggressiveness I'd like to see. But hey, at least it's not Holland!

Unless he comes in 'cheap' - I don't want Karlsson...He's not what he used to be, and he'll spend a good portion of the season on IR.

5 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Unless he comes in 'cheap' - I don't want Karlsson...He's not what he used to be, and he'll spend a good portion of the season on IR.

Agreed. Bringing in Karlsson and Panarin (both late 20s) could cost up to 20 mil a season for both. And that's just their salaries. Factor in buyouts to make room for them and kids coming up on the roster and its even more. Going the UFA route isnt the way Yzerman will address rhe team's needs IMO. His track record shows he'll continue down the same road Holland did...building thru the draft.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Lehner took a 1 year 1.5 mil deal play in NY. If he chose that over a 3 yr 3 mil salary to play in Detroit, than who is the real idiot here?

25 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

The problem when u start thinking about trades is the nmc/ntc that Holland handed out.

You will waive you nmc/ntc...You don't want to play here anymore...

Image result for old ben kenobi gif stormtroopers

OR

You don't want an unfortunate accident to happen...Capiche?

Image result for luca brasi gif

Edited by F.Michael