• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringBack19

Report: Detroit to name Steve Yzerman as GM

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Unless he comes in 'cheap' - I don't want Karlsson...He's not what he used to be, and he'll spend a good portion of the season on IR.

So he was injured this year and played 53 games. The last 5 seasons he played (in reverse order) 71, 77, 82, 82, 82.  What about that makes you think he will spend a "good portion" of his contract on IR?

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

The problem when u start thinking about trades is the nmc/ntc that Holland handed out.

The only team with as many NTC/NMC as the Detroit Red Wings (Ken Holland) is the Tampa Bay Lightning (Steve Yzerman)...

Also, these clauses rarely prevent players from being traded. It just basically gives the player more control as to where they're going to get traded.

Arguably the two worst NTC/NMC on our roster are Nielsen and Abdelkader. Nielsen has a 10-team no trade list. Hardly an issue. And assuming we don't make the playoffs, or Abby isn't among the top 9 forwards in time on ice, we can trade him to any team after next season. Same goes for Helm. Ericsson and Daley's contracts are done after next season.

Basically, none of the contracts including clauses that Holland signed should really effect us much going forward. 

On 4/24/2019 at 10:31 AM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Agreed. Bringing in Karlsson and Panarin (both late 20s) could cost up to 20 mil a season for both. And that's just their salaries. Factor in buyouts to make room for them and kids coming up on the roster and its even more. Going the UFA route isnt the way Yzerman will address rhe team's needs IMO. His track record shows he'll continue down the same road Holland did...building thru the draft.

Lehner took a 1 year 1.5 mil deal play in NY. If he chose that over a 3 yr 3 mil salary to play in Detroit, than who is the real idiot here?

His track record is nothing even remotely the same as Holland's. Build through the draft sure, but he has signed and traded for a lot of the talent on his team too. He will not be like Ken Holland.

I didn't say he turned down the 3x3, I said Holland chose to give Bernier the 3x3 when Lehner was cheaper and was rumored on UFA day last year on "The Free Agent Frenzy" to have contacted the Wings via his agent. It is what it is, Thanks GOD Ken Holland is no longer the GM!

On 4/24/2019 at 1:48 PM, krsmith17 said:

The only team with as many NTC/NMC as the Detroit Red Wings (Ken Holland) is the Tampa Bay Lightning (Steve Yzerman)...

Also, these clauses rarely prevent players from being traded. It just basically gives the player more control as to where they're going to get traded.

Arguably the two worst NTC/NMC on our roster are Nielsen and Abdelkader. Nielsen has a 10-team no trade list. Hardly an issue. And assuming we don't make the playoffs, or Abby isn't among the top 9 forwards in time on ice, we can trade him to any team after next season. Same goes for Helm. Ericsson and Daley's contracts are done after next season.

Basically, none of the contracts including clauses that Holland signed should really effect us much going forward. 

Helm can be traded after June 15, 2019 because he failed to fulfill the clauses in his NTC.

Edited by LeftWinger

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

He's getting older...He's had more health issues these past few seasons...He'll probably want a lot of $$$ long term...That all scares me.

11 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

He's getting older...He's had more health issues these past few seasons...He'll probably want a lot of $$$ long term...That all scares me.

I'm assuming this was in response to @LeftWinger on Karlsson?

If so, I agree 100%. Stay away from Karlsson.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

His track record is nothing even remotely the same as Holland's. Build through the draft sure, but he has signed and traded for a lot of the talent on his team too. He will not be like Ken Holland.

I didn't say he turned down the 3x3, I said Holland chose to give Bernier the 3x3 when Lehner was cheaper and was rumored on UFA day last year on "The Free Agent Frenzy" to have contacted the Wings via his agent. It is what it is, Thanks GOD Ken Holland is no longer the GM!

Helm can be traded after June 15, 2019 because he failed to fulfill the clauses in his NTC.

image.png.e0cb6535ced41fe334bb1d6fd87fbd71.png

Yzerman inherited a team ready to rebuild. Holland was maintaining a playoff team who had just won a cup and almost another at the same time. Of course their moves were different. Different teams/scenarios. What I am saying is that if you look at how Yzerman rebuilt that team, its not unlike the direction Holland was taking in the early stages of his rebuild. If you think that Yzerman is going come close to doing all of things you have been proposing (buyouts, trades and UFA signings) you are going to be very disappointed. It will be much more inline with what Holland has already been doing.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

7 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

no matter what he said or how you interpreted it, he has a history you can look back on, 8 years worth. And in those 8 years, he was nothing like Holland. That is what I am going by. Yzerman has made his own career and has his own style.  Do I expect sweeping changes this summer? Probably not, but, contrary to what may have been said, I can guarantee he has been watching this team the entire season, as a "fan" and knows the direction he is going.  "Let's Get To Work" doesn't mean remain status quo. It means he knows what he wants to do. Holland would never say anything like that, he wold be more interested in "having conversations" with his UFA's and "if they want to come back" he would more than likely give them a contract, because, you know, veterans and stuff.  Yzerman is gong to just as aggressive as when he ran the lighting. Sure, we don't have Stamkos or Hedman already, but if he trims fat (Daley, Ericsson, Helm, et al) and somehow convinces the likes of Karlsson and Panarin to come here, add to that the core we have already, we'd be on an express elevator to the playoffs in his first season.  We would just need to find a real starting goaltender.  (I can't say enough how glad I am that Holland signed Bernier instead of Lehner when he had the choice.  It all had to do with his loyalty to Howard, because Lehner wanted a starting job and Holland probably said we already have a starter...well, thanks Kenny. Lehner at $1.5M, Bernier at $3.0M, oh well, thank God that GM is no longer in charge of that!)

I'm not going to judge Yzerman of course, but I hope he does keep up the aggressiveness!

Buyout/Trade/Waive BOTH Ericsson and Daley.

Trade Helm (Babs might be looking for change in Toronto now!)

take a serious run at Karlsson and Panarin. I watched the SJ game last night, Karlsson is tons better than anything we got, IMO pay the man and bring him here! Panarin is a pure sniper, we need something like that!

At the draft, take the gamble on Caufield.

Again, not judging Yzerman, these are just the type of aggressiveness I'd like to see. But hey, at least it's not Holland!

I wouldnt waive E, come trade deadline I do believe teams will be interested in a D-man that size to play on their 3rd pairing. I think he can gain us a draft pick if we wait.

7 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Great post.  The evidence puts my argument to bed.

40 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes, let's re-sign Kronwall and Nyquist and sign Karlsson and Panarin... because the salary cap isn't a thing...

Cap is going to be between  $83 and $85 million. Z and Franzen gives us over $10M extra. Buyout or trade Daley, dump one of Abby or Helm, it's not out of the question, but if it meant getting Karlsson, I'd take Nyquist over Panarin. Besides I never said Panarin was my exact target, I said Yzerman goes after high skill and wouldn't be surprised if he targeted him and that would not be a bad thing. But you notice in my last post, I did not mention Panarin when I said I'd keep E if it meant for sure getting EK. 

I'd take both, or either or though. EK first, then Panarin, but if EK has other plans, I'd take Panarin BY HIMSELF too. 

And no, I won't be disappointed, because Holland is no longer gm, so we've already won the off season by getting Yzerman back!

8 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Cap is going to be between  $83 and $85 million. Z and Franzen gives us over $10M extra. Buyout or trade Daley, dump one of Abby or Helm, it's not out of the question, but if it meant getting Karlsson, I'd take Nyquist over Panarin. Besides I never said Panarin was my exact target, I said Yzerman goes after high skill and wouldn't be surprised if he targeted him and that would not be a bad thing. But you notice in my last post, I did not mention Panarin when I said I'd keep E if it meant for sure getting EK. 

I'd take both, or either or though. EK first, then Panarin, but if EK has other plans, I'd take Panarin BY HIMSELF too. 

And no, I won't be disappointed, because Holland is no longer gm, so we've already won the off season by getting Yzerman back!

As long as you keep this mentality (the bold/underlined), you'll be fine. If you're expecting massive changes, I think you'll be very disappointed...

I hope no one is expecting big moves from Stevie this offseason.  He's going to make moves that benefit a rebuild.  No big FA splashes, at least not until we get closer to being a Cup contender.  No signing aging veterans to 3+ years deals that eat up cap space.  We're right up against the cap right now and we're the 4th worst team in the league (record wise).  I think Stevie's first order of business is to going to be get the salary cap situation under control.  Mantha and AA are up for renewal after next year and they'll want way more than what they're getting now. 

11 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

I hope no one is expecting big moves from Stevie this offseason.  He's going to make moves that benefit a rebuild.  No big FA splashes, at least not until we get closer to being a Cup contender.  No signing aging veterans to 3+ years deals that eat up cap space.  We're right up against the cap right now and we're the 4th worst team in the league (record wise).  I think Stevie's first order of business is to going to be get the salary cap situation under control.  Mantha and AA are up for renewal after next year and they'll want way more than what they're getting now. 

^ THIS ^

23 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

Basically yes. Except the bold. They'll have a lot of cap space this summer. Close to 20M. 

Personally, I'd like to see Yzerman use that space as an asset to take on a bad contract or two from other teams in exchange for picks/prospects. 

20 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Basically yes. Except the bold. They'll have a lot of cap space this summer. Close to 20M. 

Personally, I'd like to see Yzerman use that space as an asset to take on a bad contract or two from other teams in exchange for picks/prospects. 

If you're including both Zetterberg and Franzen on LTIR, it's about $15M, depending on who's in Detroit / Grand Rapids. That's also assuming we don't sign ANY free agents to NHL contracts.

But yeah, I completely agree with the bold. That's exactly how I'm hoping Yzerman uses that cap space. Maybe he can help out his old buddies down in Tampa, by trading for Callahan...

42 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

If you're including both Zetterberg and Franzen on LTIR, it's about $15M, depending on who's in Detroit / Grand Rapids. That's also assuming we don't sign ANY free agents to NHL contracts.

But yeah, I completely agree with the bold. That's exactly how I'm hoping Yzerman uses that cap space. Maybe he can help out his old buddies down in Tampa, by trading for Callahan...

36 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

To DET - Ryan Callahan, 2019 1st round pick (TBL)

To TBL - 2019 2nd round pick (SJS)

No you dinks we're getting Point

3 hours ago, xtrememachine1 said:

Ya, AA and Mantha will Probably get $5.5M each at least. Good news is about $7.5M of that we'll get from E and Daley coming off. I get it guys, I get it.

Rebuilding teams cannot spend to the cap. They have to leave room (lots of it) to re-sign the players they're building with to bigger deals. Once u have all of ur core guys locked up long term and u know how much cap u have to work with, then u can go after free agents.

If you had the option to sign one of Erik Karlsson (2019 offseason) or Jacob Trouba (2020 offseason)...

Karlsson
28 years old
Point per game offensive defenseman (poor defensively)
Some injury concerns over the past few seasons
7 years at $10-11M AAV

Trouba
26 years old next summer
Half a point per game two-way defenseman
No notable injury concerns
7 years at $6-7M AAV

Who would you sign?

For me, it would be a no-brainer... The younger, cheaper, more durable, all-around defenseman, all day every day. I'd also rather wait to make a big splash in free agency after we re-sign Mantha, Athanasiou and Bertuzzi in the summer of 2020...