• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringBack19

Report: Detroit to name Steve Yzerman as GM

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

If you had the option to sign one of Erik Karlsson (2019 offseason) or Jacob Trouba (2020 offseason)...

Karlsson
28 years old
Point per game offensive defenseman (poor defensively)
Some injury concerns over the past few seasons
7 years at $10-11M AAV

Trouba
26 years old next summer
Half a point per game two-way defenseman
No notable injury concerns
7 years at $6-7M AAV

Who would you sign?

For me, it would be a no-brainer... The younger, cheaper, more durable, all-around defenseman, all day every day. I'd also rather wait to make a big splash in free agency after we re-sign Mantha, Athanasiou and Bertuzzi in the summer of 2020...

I want nothing to do with Karlsson at this point.

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

If you had the option to sign one of Erik Karlsson (2019 offseason) or Jacob Trouba (2020 offseason)...

Karlsson
28 years old
Point per game offensive defenseman (poor defensively)
Some injury concerns over the past few seasons
7 years at $10-11M AAV

Trouba
26 years old next summer
Half a point per game two-way defenseman
No notable injury concerns
7 years at $6-7M AAV

Who would you sign?

For me, it would be a no-brainer... The younger, cheaper, more durable, all-around defenseman, all day every day. I'd also rather wait to make a big splash in free agency after we re-sign Mantha, Athanasiou and Bertuzzi in the summer of 2020...

So this guy:

Erik+Karlsson+and+his+ex+Wife+Therese-75

Or this guy:

tumblr_n7cf2xqtdE1siydpjo1_640.jpg

So pumped that Yzerman is back in Detroit but I hope that people give him some time to work some magic because he's inherited quite the mess.

In 2018 we spent more money on salaries than 30 other NHL teams which blows my mind considering that we finished 28th in the league this season.

What compounds problems is that we currently have 9 various types of NTCs or NMCs. A bunch of the contracts on this roster are already untradeable but now you have the NTC factor and it's going to be really hard for Yzerman to do anything for about 3 years IMO.

I really hope that Yzerman can work his magic as he did in Tampa Bay but I'd caution people about being too optimistic for the immediate future and we really need to look at a long term strategy. I really, really, really hope that Yzerman has learned from the failure of Holland with a lot of these signings in the last ~7-8 years and get this team back on track.

Welcome back to the D Steve!

8 hours ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

So pumped that Yzerman is back in Detroit but I hope that people give him some time to work some magic because he's inherited quite the mess.

In 2018 we spent more money on salaries than 30 other NHL teams which blows my mind considering that we finished 28th in the league this season.

What compounds problems is that we currently have 9 various types of NTCs or NMCs. A bunch of the contracts on this roster are already untradeable but now you have the NTC factor and it's going to be really hard for Yzerman to do anything for about 3 years IMO.

I really hope that Yzerman can work his magic as he did in Tampa Bay but I'd caution people about being too optimistic for the immediate future and we really need to look at a long term strategy. I really, really, really hope that Yzerman has learned from the failure of Holland with a lot of these signings in the last ~7-8 years and get this team back on track.

Welcome back to the D Steve!

I agree that we need to give Yzerman some time. He's not going to turn this team around over night. However, I disagree that it's such a mess as you say...

I discussed this a bit in another thread, but here goes again... NTC/NMC don't really effect team's as much as some people believe they do. It rarely prevents players from being traded, it just gives the player a say in where they get traded.

We do not have 9 NTC/NMC. We currently have 7. Kronwall's and Vanek's are done. They are UFA's this offseason, and neither are likely to be re-signed. Even if Kronwall gets another one year contract (I hope he doesn't), and even if he's given a NTC (I don't think he would), it wouldn't effect us at all long-term.

Another 2 come off the books after next season, in Ericsson and Daley. You can also remove Abdelkader and Helm from that list, because both of their NTC's become void after next season if the Red Wings don't make the playoffs (we won't), and / or if they are not in the top 9 forwards in ice time (they won't be).

So now, all of a sudden, we only have 3 NTC/NMC going into the 2020 season. What a coincidence, that's the season we should be starting to turn the corner to be competitive...

Green's NTC becomes a M-NTC leading up the trade deadline in his final season (February 2020), in which he would have to submit a 10 team no-trade list. Easily tradable...

DeKeyser's NTC becomes a M-NTC leading up the trade deadline in his second to final season (January 2021), in which he would have to submit a 10 team no-trade list. Easily tradable...

Nielsen has a M-NTC now until the end of his contract (2022) in which he would have to submit a 10 team no-trade list. Easily tradeable.

Long story short, we're not in nearly as bad shape as some people think we are. I actually think we're in pretty good shape going forward.

Winging It in Motown had a very good article explaining what Steve Yzerman had in place when he took over in Tampa Bay as GM. He also inherited the #6 overall pick then just as today. A good read going over all Yzerman's first year moves and what correlation it may have to the Red Wings

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2019/4/21/18509160/how-aggressive-may-stevie-y-be-in-year-1

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You are a master baiter.

I am. You should take note when you bait with your political comments and passive aggressive ones like below.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:57 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

At least when Yzerman runs the team similarly to Holland, we wont have to hear all of the FIRE Yzerman! talk. For a while anyway.

:)

Edited by kickazz

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Imagine being insecure to the point that you think Yzerman being similar to Holland is a passive aggressive pass at you

lol

That statement wasnt directed at him. Or anyone in particular. Some people are expecting a drastic change with Yzerman. I don't see it. Some were calling for Holland to be fired and replaced with Yzerman for a long time now, expecting him to be some kind of Anti-Holland messianic figure. I dont think he will be. But since hes a hero to the fans he'll get much less hate than Holland did and fans will be a lot more patient with him I think. Yzerman has that advantage stepping into that role that Holland didn't have.

3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

That statement wasnt directed at him. Or anyone in particular. Some people are expecting a drastic change with Yzerman. I don't see it. Some were calling for Holland to be fired and replaced with Yzerman for a long time now, expecting him to be some kind of Anti-Holland messianic figure. I dont think he will be. But since hes a hero to the fans he'll get much less hate than Holland did and fans will be a lot more patient with him I think. Yzerman has that advantage stepping into that role that Holland didn't have.

Kickazz regularly goes out of his way to take shots at you and Hockeymom. It's sad. Ignore the trash.

Personally I think Yzerman will be different. But I also think his approach will be similar to Hollands, because re-builders tend to all behave in the same manner. If anyone cared to notice, the moment the streak ended Holland started making good moves again. I attribute this 100% to ownership. Its as if Holland knew his team was bad but was forced to act like a contender bc of ownership, and made minor half hearted moves like Cole and Zidlicky to appease the powers that be. Moment the streak ended he started stealing good draft picks.

Holland is probably a legendary manager who will end up underrated because of politics and fan perception.

That said I am excited for a fresh pair of Yzerman eyes on the team.

12 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Kickazz regularly goes out of his way to take shots at you and Hockeymom. It's sad. Ignore the trash.

Personally I think Yzerman will be different. But I also think his approach will be similar to Hollands, because re-builders tend to all behave in the same manner. If anyone cared to notice, the moment the streak ended Holland started making good moves again. I attribute this 100% to ownership. Its as if Holland knew his team was bad but was forced to act like a contender bc of ownership, and made minor half hearted moves like Cole and Zidlicky to appease the powers that be. Moment the streak ended he started stealing good draft picks.

Holland is probably a legendary manager who will end up underrated because of politics and fan perception.

That said I am excited for a fresh pair of Yzerman eyes on the team.

And he's not even good at it :lol:

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

At least he's not a snowflake who goes running to his safe space whenever he hears something he doesnt like. Or one of those fascist college kids who hates free speech. Anyone with a differing opinion who's willing to debate instead of silencing others is OK by me.

I’ll have you know the mods and site owner are not running to their safe space or trying to silencing your opinion. They’re simply here to make sure this hockey forum stays on topic and the no-politics rule is followed.

It’s an agreement you adhered to when making the account (always read the fine print).

Edited by kickazz