• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringBack19

Report: Detroit to name Steve Yzerman as GM

Rate this topic

19 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I suspect that Yzerman will have to send a pick or prospect to Seattle ro get them to take one of those guys in the expansion draft.

I suspect that Yzerman would have to send a pick or prospect to Seattle if he wanted to get rid of those guys in the expansion draft.

We all seen how those sorts of deals worked out in the Vegas expansion draft. Protect the players you want to protect, and let it play out. No side deals. The main thing is, we won't have to protect any players we wouldn't want to.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I've explained several times why I don't believe any of those contracts, besides maybe Abdelkader's, will hurt us long term. All I get back is, yes they will, without any explanation as to why... If you're going to say these contracts are going to hurt us long term, back it up with reasons why...

? are you having a s***ty morning? I'm not really arguing that, at least that wasn't my intention if you took it that way.

I'm not really concerned about these contracts, they're just... s***ty contracts... they represent $15 million dollars for the next 3 seasons. I didn't realize why that's bad needed to be explained.

13 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No. I think we're alright right now with these contracts. But the moment we turn the corner and become a playoff team again we need to to start burning those contracts quick. They'll inpede us from signing or trading for guys like Panarin this year.

Look here, I'm alright with these contracts. Could the scenario arrive in the next 2-3 seasons that we don't want them around anymore? I certainly think it's a possibility. Especially if Yzerman is "different" and more aggressive. That's all I'm sayin'.

22 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I agree with you. Priority has to be shedding these contracts. Unfortunately we're in a really bad spot. The buyout terms on all three are nightmares within themselves. No one is gonna trade for these contracts, and if they did we'd have to probably give good picks with them, which defeats the purpose of a rebuild.

I wouldn't put it past Yzerman to do something drastic, because he's showed urgency in the past. But I think we will be sitting on all three for some time. We're a cash rich team and we can afford to do so. The cap is going up which will make these contracts look slightly better and give us more wiggle room. Daley and Ericsson are coming off the books at the end of Yzerman's first year, which alone will allow us to re-sign Mantha, Bertuzzi, and AA. The year after Glendening and Helm come off. Then the next year Nielsen and Dekeyser. Then at the end of Yzerman's 4th year Abdelkader will come off. Buyouts are more favorable when the player has 1 year left, so if we become competitive within this immediate 4 year window I would expect Yzerman to exercise that option at that point. AKA we have to be patient with these contracts. Maybe in two years or so the buyout options will look more favorable.

Look here, I wrote a whole paragraph about basically why they're not that bad and why we should and probably will just sit on them till they run out.

16 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

? are you having a s***ty morning? I'm not really arguing that, at least that wasn't my intention if you took it that way.

I'm not really concerned about these contracts, they're just... s***ty contracts... they represent $15 million dollars for the next 3 seasons. I didn't realize why that's bad needed to be explained.

Look here, I'm alright with these contracts. Could the scenario arrive in the next 2-3 seasons that we don't want them around anymore? I certainly think it's a possibility. Especially if Yzerman is "different" and more aggressive. That's all I'm sayin'.

Look here, I wrote a whole paragraph about basically why they're not that bad and why we should and probably will just sit on them till they run out.

Having a fantastic morning, thanks for asking. By the way, I quoted you, but my response wasn't aimed directly at you. I'm just sick of people repeating the same garbage without backing it up with anything substantial. You said "The reason we wont be competitive within the next 3 years is primarily these contracts." I'd just like to know why you think those contracts will have any bearing on us being competitive in the next three years and beyond, because I don't think they will.

30 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Having a fantastic morning, thanks for asking. By the way, I quoted you, but my response wasn't aimed directly at you. I'm just sick of people repeating the same garbage without backing it up with anything substantial. You said "The reason we wont be competitive within the next 3 years is primarily these contracts." I'd just like to know why you think those contracts will have any bearing on us being competitive in the next three years and beyond, because I don't think they will.

We have roughly $20 mil to spend this offseason. And after next season we have to re-sign Mantha, Athanasiou, Hirose, Bertuzzi, Bowey, and possibly Svechnikov. So I'd like to leave at least around $10-$12 million untouched in order to get those extensions done. That safely leaves a rough $10 million to spend this off season.

If I had things my way we'd be pursuing both Karlsson and Panarin this off season. $10 million only really lets me pursue one. If Nielsen and Abby were off the books (I like Dekeyser too) I'd have around another $5-7 million to make that happen.

So yeah in my mind it affects us as early as this offseason. We're handcuffed a bit.

And don't get me wrong I will be absolutely ok when Yzerman doesn't pursue either Karlsson or Panarin and signs only depth players. I don't think we should shoot for the stars just yet... but I primarily think that way because we're handcuffed by fat contracts. If we were lean right now, I'd be wanting Yzerman to add a significant piece, or multiple of them.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

9 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

We have roughly $20 mil to spend this offseason. And after next season we have to re-sign Mantha, Athanasiou, Hirose, Bertuzzi, Bowey, and possibly Svechnikov. So I'd like to leave at least around $10-$12 million untouched in order to get those extensions done. That safely leaves a rough $10 million to spend this off season.

If I had things my way we'd be pursuing both Karlsson and Panarin this off season. $10 million only really lets me pursue one. If Nielsen and Abby were off the books I'd have around another $5-7 million to make that happen.

So yeah in my mind it affects us as early as this offseason. We're handcuffed a bit.

And don't get me wrong I will be absolutely ok when Yzerman doesn't pursue either Karlsson or Panarin and signs only depth players. I don't think we should shoot for the stars just yet... but I primarily think that way because we're handcuffed by fat contracts. If we were lean right now, I'd be wanting Yzerman to add a significant piece, or multiple of them.

Ok, fair enough I guess. That's where we disagree though. I think going after Karlsson would be a big mistake. So I guess in a way, I see some of these big "unmovable" contracts that are hindering Yzerman from going after the big fish as a bit of a blessing in disguise...

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Ok, fair enough I guess. That's where we disagree though. I think going after Karlsson would be a big mistake. So I guess in a way, I see some of these big "unmovable" contracts that are hindering Yzerman from going after the big fish as a bit of a blessing in disguise...

Certainly. I have no doubt, knowing the ownership of this team, that if Abby/DK/Nielsen were gone and we had a budgeted $20+ million available, they'd send Yzerman to the FA market to bring back only the finest of FA's.

On 5/11/2019 at 6:20 PM, krsmith17 said:

I agree that some of those clauses should have never been included in those contracts. I've said as much in previous posts. However, where I disagree is that they effect us in any major way going forward. In my opinion they don't, but I've stated why several times already, so I'm not going over that again. All I'll say is that of those seven NTC/NMC's, only two of them (Nielsen and DeKeyser) are beyond next season. That's not a huge deal.

If Yzerman can buy out all of Nielsen, Abdelkader and DeKeyser you'd feel a lot more confident? So you'd be okay with having a ridiculous amount of dead cap space for the next 8 years?

2019-20 - $3,506,945

2020-21 - $7,756,945

2021-22 - $9,256,945

2022-23 - $5,506,945

2023-24 - $3,756,945

2024-25 - $3,756,945

2025-26 - $1,145,833

2026-27 - $1,145,833

That would NOT make me feel very confident in Yzerman as the GM of the Red Wings going forward... Luckily he's not that dumb...

The only contracts that look bad long term in my opinion are Nielsen's and Abdelkader's. The rest are either up in the next year or two, or in DeKeyser's case, still a valuable player going forward. With that said, you can retain up to 50% on any contract. I'm sure a cash strapped team, looking to reach the cap floor would be willing to take on Nielsen or Abdelkader in the remaining couple years of their contracts.

Nielsen at $2.625M for 1-2 years as a 3rd line center or Abdelkader at $2.125M for 2-3 years as a 4th line winger isn't terrible value. It makes much more sense to eat salary for a couple seasons than buy-out the player.

Preference would be on moving those guys or a combo with a buyout. I don't want him to buy out all of them.

Too long didn't listen:

Yzerman gives pretty BS reasons for trading AA. For cap reasons (even though he will have plenty of room) and that he was the most in demand (maybe of that you offered). I think it's pretty fair to say Yzerman wasn't a fan of Mr. Athanasiou.

On Timashov, he says this is a player they've tracked and been interested in but is pretty modest in his assessment of him. Golobeof is just a warm body. Kinda expected.

Says the team will be very selective in FA (Which makes me wonder WTF he was thinking with Fil and Nemeth). They're not gonna sign anyone just to sign them. If they give out term it's only gonna be for someone they REALLY want.

He says a bunch of happy talk about Larkin and the entire teams professionalism and work ethic and Blashills great job coaching and blah blah blah BS BS BS. He proceeds to really stand behind Blashill ANDDDDDDDDDD holeeeeeee f*** am I worried he's gonna keep this guy in town WTF Stevie. "The team has played hard and that's a sign of a good coach" Holy god Yzerman

Yzerman almost says, on Svechnikov, that to expect to see him in the NHL soon, then sorta catches himself and says "when need be". Take that one however you want.

Says he wants to leave most players in GR so they can push for the playoffs. Only gonna bring someone up if he sees a real need and benefit for them to join the NHL.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Too long didn't listen:

Yzerman gives pretty BS reasons for trading AA. For cap reasons (even though he will have plenty of room) and that he was the most in demand (maybe of that you offered). I think it's pretty fair to say Yzerman wasn't a fan of Mr. Athanasiou.

On Timashov, he says this is a player they've tracked and been interested in but is pretty modest in his assessment of him. Golobeof is just a warm body. Kinda expected.

Says the team will be very selective in FA (Which makes me wonder WTF he was thinking with Fil and Nemeth). They're not gonna sign anyone just to sign them. If they give out term it's only gonna be for someone they REALLY want.

He says a bunch of happy talk about Larkin and the entire teams professionalism and work ethic and Blashills great job coaching and blah blah blah BS BS BS. He proceeds to really stand behind Blashill ANDDDDDDDDDD holeeeeeee f*** am I worried he's gonna keep this guy in town WTF Stevie. "The team has played hard and that's a sign of a good coach" Holy god Yzerman

Yzerman almost says, on Svechnikov, that to expect to see him in the NHL soon, then sorta catches himself and says "when need be". Take that one however you want.

Says he wants to leave most players in GR so they can push for the playoffs. Only gonna bring someone up if he sees a real need and benefit for them to join the NHL.

I didn't watch, but I get the impression Grand Master Y is only saying the 'right things' to appease the fan base, but yet he still has his own plans in the works...Sorta like what a president elect would say about his incumbent. 

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I really can't see Blashill staying.  I might take a year off watching the NHL if he's still our coach.  I can't suffer through another year of him.  "The team has played hard" under him?  Really?  Not sure what he's seeing that would indicate that.  Getting blown out by 3+ goals every night doesn't show that they're "working hard".  They look disorganized as hell and aside from a few players, I really don't see anyone out there working hard and its been that way for years.  This team has the potential to be the worst in the history of the franchise.  Praising Blashill is mind boggling, for sure.

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

I didn't watch, but I get the impression Grand Master Y is only saying the 'right things' to appease the fan base, but yet he still has his own plans in the works...Sorta like what a president elect would say about his incumbent. 

Holland was the same way, but at least Yzerman doesn't look like a drunk muppet when he does these interviews. 

1 hour ago, xtrememachine1 said:

I really can't see Blashill staying.  I might take a year off watching the NHL if he's still our coach.  I can't suffer through another year of him.  "The team has played hard" under him?  Really?  Not sure what he's seeing that would indicate that.  Getting blown out by 3+ goals every night doesn't show that they're "working hard".  They look disorganized as hell and aside from a few players, I really don't see anyone out there working hard and its been that way for years.  This team has the potential to be the worst in the history of the franchise.  Praising Blashill is mind boggling, for sure.

Yup my first thought was I may not watch next year if Blash is still in the drivers seat.

Hoping he's just trying to inflate the guy a lil bit before letting him go. I used to think he could possibly get an NHL HC job elsewhere, after this year I'm not so sure.

4 hours ago, xtrememachine1 said:

I mean, he's not going to throw him under the bus.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yup my first thought was I may not watch next year if Blash is still in the drivers seat.

Hoping he's just trying to inflate the guy a lil bit before letting him go. I used to think he could possibly get an NHL HC job elsewhere, after this year I'm not so sure.

Blashill would get an NHL Associate Coach or AHL HC job if he got fired.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I mean, he's not going to throw him under the bus.

No, he's not and I wouldn't expect him to do that.  However, he could say nothing or if asked he could say something like "Its been a tough year for everyone.  He's doing the the best he can do" etc.  Saying a lot of great things about him and he's a "good coach", will make him look a hipocrite when (fingers crossed) he gets fired.

3 hours ago, xtrememachine1 said:

No, he's not and I wouldn't expect him to do that.  However, he could say nothing or if asked he could say something like "Its been a tough year for everyone.  He's doing the the best he can do" etc.  Saying a lot of great things about him and he's a "good coach", will make him look a hipocrite when (fingers crossed) he gets fired.

Spoiler Alert: He'll be back.

I dunno that it's a for sure thing that he's gone like everyone says...especially with the contracts Nemeth and Flip signed. He could very well be going full tank next year too - Ken Holland's unflinching loyalty has left me paranoid!

15 hours ago, Wings3:16 said:

I dunno that it's a for sure thing that he's gone like everyone says...especially with the contracts Nemeth and Flip signed. He could very well be going full tank next year too - Ken Holland's unflinching loyalty has left me paranoid!

At this point...I'm guessing Yzerman's preparing for another tank year. I'd been thinking that placing first or second in the lotto draw would mean he'd try to load up for an honest playoff push, but I'm not feeling that anymore. Or, at least, not feeling it as strongly as I had just a few months ago.

Yzerman's Big Message has been pretty consistent:

"Things are not very good right now and the only way that's going to change at any point in the future is if we draft really well, and that's just gonna take time and patience and hard work and a bit of luck. We have to do this right. We have to make sure we're doing what it takes to have a really good -- and sustainably good -- team a few years from now. I hope fans will be patient." (Not an actual quote. But basically is.)

No one here wants to hear it (and that includes me), but Yzerman is clearly thinking long term, big picture. "Do it the way the league says we need to do it." Pain now, in the near future, gain later, in the distant future. Personally, I'm not entirely thrilled with the way he's going about doing it. But that's life. It is what it is.

As for the head coach position? I dunno. Could be Blashill. Could be Gallant. Could be Lane Lambert. If Yzerman 1) feels the younger players like Blashill and buy what he's selling, 2) finds that no one would be interested in taking over for him anyway, and 3) anticipates next season being another painful tank season *regardless of who's behind the bench*, Blashill will be back.

10 minutes ago, Dabura said:

At this point...I'm guessing Yzerman's preparing for another tank year. I'd been thinking that placing first or second in the lotto draw would mean he'd try to load up for an honest playoff push, but I'm not feeling that anymore. Or, at least, not feeling it as strongly as I had just a few months ago.

"Things are not very good right now and the only way that's going to change at any point in the future is if we draft really well, and that's just gonna take time and patience and hard work and a bit of luck. We have to do this right. We have to make sure we're doing what it takes to have a really good -- and sustainably good -- team a few years from now. I hope fans will be patient." (Not an actual quote. But basically is.)

No one here wants to hear it (and that includes me), but Yzerman is clearly thinking long term, big picture. "Do it the way the league says we need to do it." Pain now, in the near future, gain later, in the distant future. Personally, I'm not entirely thrilled with the way he's going about doing it. But that's life. It is what it is.

As for the head coach position? I dunno. Could be Blashill. Could be Gallant. Could be Lane Lambert. If Yzerman 1) feels the younger players like Blashill and buy what he's selling, 2) finds that no one would be interested in taking over for him anyway, and 3) anticipates next season being another painful tank season *regardless of who's behind the bench*, Blashill will be back.

Just curious. What would realistically prefer or see as another option? 

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I guess I've just found myself saying, "Wait, that's it? Really? I mean, I'll defer to your judgment, but, uh, you sure you don't wanna...? No? OK. That's cool. I'm just sayin'." Probably could've been a little more aggressive in free agency. Probably could've been a little more aggressive at the trade deadline. Nothing that makes me want to grab a pitchfork, just little stuff.

14 minutes ago, Dabura said:

On the one hand, if Yzerman is certain we're gonna be PLEASE END ME NOW bad again, then it makes sense to keep Blash. Why have a new coach go through that? And possibly lose a room in his first season. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

On the other hand, a coach is an easy replacement to make (especially with what's available right now) and if you're committed to the growth of your (current) young core it certainly seems to be the time to do it. So if he doesn't I almost suspect he's gonna abandon this core eventually and build his own.

The offseason as always will be a big indicator. If he keeps Blash and makes very sparse UFA additions again. Buckle up Buckaroos.
If he fires Blash, actually puts a goalie on top of Bernier, and hires some hallf-way decent UFA's maybe he's more willing to prop up this core.

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

If you were asking me: It's the realistic option, but also the masochistic option. Which is why I'd greatly prefer something different in the near future, but that's prolly not realistic to ask for.

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

I guess I've just found myself saying, "Wait, that's it? Really? I mean, I'll defer to your judgment, but, uh, you sure you don't wanna...? No? OK. That's cool. I'm just sayin'." Probably could've been a little more aggressive in free agency. Probably could've been a little more aggressive at the trade deadline. Nothing that makes me want to grab a pitchfork, just little stuff.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If you were asking me: It's the realistic option, but also the masochistic option. Which is why I'd greatly prefer something different in the near future, but that's prolly not realistic to ask for.

Fair enough. He did say in his TLDW trade deadline press conference that one of the best ways to accelerate a rebuild is to not make too many mistakes. It's easy to see his conservative patient approach as being slothful and drag-outy but maybe it'll actually get us there quicker.