• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringBack19

Report: Detroit to name Steve Yzerman as GM

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

On the one hand, if Yzerman is certain we're gonna be PLEASE END ME NOW bad again, then it makes sense to keep Blash. Why have a new coach go through that? And possibly lose a room in his first season. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

On the other hand, a coach is an easy replacement to make (especially with what's available right now) and if you're committed to the growth of your (current) young core it certainly seems to be the time to do it. So if he doesn't I almost suspect he's gonna abandon this core eventually and build his own.

The offseason as always will be a big indicator. If he keeps Blash and makes very sparse UFA additions again. Buckle up Buckaroos.
If he fires Blash, actually puts a goalie on top of Bernier, and hires some hallf-way decent UFA's maybe he's more willing to prop up this core.

If you were asking me: It's the realistic option, but also the masochistic option. Which is why I'd greatly prefer something different in the near future, but that's prolly not realistic to ask for.

100%.

If this offseason is like the last or maybe even worse, I don’t think Yzerman sees his core on this team. Maybe a few pieces but I think it’s fair to say Yzerman won’t be building the team around Larkin and company per se.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You said Yzerman should get another G besides Howard.

12 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If he fires Blash, actually puts a goalie (LIKE JAMES HOWARD) on top of Bernier, and hires some hallf-way decent UFA's maybe he's more willing to prop up this core.

12 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Fair enough. He did say in his TLDW trade deadline press conference that one of the best ways to accelerate a rebuild is to not make too many mistakes. It's easy to see his conservative patient approach as being slothful and drag-outy but maybe it'll actually get us there quicker. 

Yup, that's the hope.

Yzerman spues more lies than Holland ever did

"AA is the player teams called on" BS 101. Teams called about Mantha, Larkin,n Bertuzzi but u were only willing to sell AA. He honestly thinks we believe teams only called on AA.  Are sports fans naturally retarded, or does Stevie Y just assume it? I treat either or as an offense. f*** this guy.

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

"AA is the player teams called on" BS 101. Teams called about Mantha, Larkin,n Bertuzzi but u were only willing to sell AA. He honestly thinks we believe teams only called on AA.  Are sports fans naturally retarded, or does Stevie Y just assume it? I treat either or as an offense. f*** this guy.

Man, you've become insufferable... We get it. Yzerman sux. Larkin sux. Everyone sux. You don't need to keep bumping every old thread, spewing the same tired bulls***...

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Do you think maybe he meant AA was the only one teams were inquiring about out of the guys that were available? Doubt those 3 were even on the block...

10 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Well. I know one who is for sure. 

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Man, you've become insufferable... We get it. Yzerman sux. Larkin sux. Everyone sux. You don't need to keep bumping every old thread, spewing the same tired bulls***...

Yeah yeah I'm the bad man, keep telling me about it in every thread

2 hours ago, Wings3:16 said:

Do you think maybe he meant AA was the only one teams were inquiring about out of the guys that were available? Doubt those 3 were even on the block...

Why was AA the only one on the block though?

Sure the former three are probably our best players, but does anyone really think Larkin/Mantha/Bertuzzi are gonna take us to the cup? Maybe you do, IDK, but personally I don't. Firstly, I don't think any of those three are anything remarkably special enough that they need to be protected and cherished, and with the amount of work the team needs they may not even be here when we're ready to contend anyway.

Which begs the question... why not sell them?

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Well. I know one who is for sure. 

I will be the first to tell you that my brain is a ******* circus

On 3/18/2020 at 1:32 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Which begs the question... why not sell them?

I will be the first to tell you that my brain is a ******* circus

Even Gretzky was tradable.  Which means you have to think whether they're on the block or not GMs will make a pitch for them.  So to say there weren't calls or weren't offer on these guys is laughable.  As to why not sell them?

Then who the f*** is on the ice for games?  Seriously man, you can't trade all of the players just because.  

...as to the second part.  No s***.  Get out and take a walk, man.

1 hour ago, e_prime said:

Then who the f*** is on the ice for games?  Seriously man, you can't trade all of the players just because. 

There's always Sam Gagner's of the world coming back

1 hour ago, e_prime said:

...as to the second part.  No s***.  Get out and take a walk, man.

Step into the Seattle Corona wasteland and contract the covid? Nice try virus spreader

13 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

There's always Sam Gagner's of the world coming back

Step into the Seattle Corona wasteland and contract the covid? Nice try virus spreader

Yes. ...but how long do players like that make sense on this team. Sure, maybe Mantha, Bert, and even Larkin aren't here for our next (hopefully eventual) cup run, but you can't have a team made up of ONLY journeymen and constant castoffs or a team made up of eventual NHLers or career AHLers who are just filling the void.  Who the eff wants to get drafted to that team... or sign here.

Also: Embrace the virus. Love the virus. Become one with the virus. It is your duty. If you're meant to live you'll live. If you're meant to die. You'll die.  

8 minutes ago, e_prime said:

Yes. ...but how long do players like that make sense on this team. Sure, maybe Mantha, Bert, and even Larkin aren't here for our next (hopefully eventual) cup run, but you can't have a team made up of ONLY journeymen and constant castoffs or a team made up of eventual NHLers or career AHLers who are just filling the void.  Who the eff wants to get drafted to that team... or sign here.

Also: Embrace the virus. Love the virus. Become one with the virus. It is your duty. If you're meant to live you'll live. If you're meant to die. You'll die.  

Not saying you have to trade all three or completely gut the team. I would've heavily shopped Larkin. If there isn't a fantastic return for him out there that's okay, hold on to him. Like you were saying I would hear a pitch for any player really, especially any player on this sinking ship.

5 minutes ago, e_prime said:

I imagine that's a regular accessory even without a pandemic raging.

It would be extremely painful...

Tom-Hardy-Venom-star-parodies-famous-Ban

16 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Not saying you have to trade all three or completely gut the team. I would've heavily shopped Larkin. If there isn't a fantastic return for him out there that's okay, hold on to him. Like you were saying I would hear a pitch for any player really, especially any player on this sinking ship.

So, you're saying there's a chance that you wanna keep him, and Mantha, and Bert... and all of this is hyperbolic trolling.  *wink*

Also, I was thinking more along these lines:

laparka.jpg

Edited by e_prime

2 minutes ago, e_prime said:

So, you're saying there's a chance that you wanna keep him, and Mantha, and Bert... and all of this is hyperbolic trolling.  *wink*

Also, I was thinking more along these lines:

https://images.app.goo.gl/VdDq26L3ugGBa2587

I'm saying traditionally in a last place season you dismantle and sell off the core that failed you.

Yzerman didn't do that. He sold low on a peripheral forward, and sold a broken down old Dman that should've been sold multiple seasons ago. Hardly a dismantle, and it's looking like we are going into next season with much of the same team, plus zero extra 1st round picks.

47 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm saying traditionally in a last place season you dismantle and sell off the core that failed you.

Yzerman didn't do that. He sold low on a peripheral forward, and sold a broken down old Dman that should've been sold multiple seasons ago. Hardly a dismantle, and it's looking like we are going into next season with much of the same team, plus zero extra 1st round picks.

Um. No. That's isn't necessarily what you do.  There have been plenty of last place teams where the core hasn't been sold off at bargain basement wholesale prices.  Which is obviously what Stevie was offered for Mantha, Bert and Larkin when he fielded those calls for them.

Also, I trust Steve in selling low on a peripheral problem child forward who dragged this team down every time he was on the ice and not scoring on a break away.

EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

As for trading a broken down old D-man that should have been sold multiple seasons ago... well, that should have been done by a certain General Manager who is no longer general or specifically managing this team. Not the God Emperor Steve Yzerman's job.  ...and look who took him!!  A certain manager that couldn't manage him to stay healthy in the first place and let him get injured moments after trading for him.  We were lucky to get a bag of pucks for that old "defenseman". Hell, hadn't seen him play defense EVER. 

Finally! Extra first round picks?  Who needs them when you make your first round draft picks count like drafting Seider in the first ...and in previous drafts you snagged the likes of Point and Cirelli in the third round.  THE THIRD ROUND. Extra first round picks, WHO NEEDS 'EM!

11 minutes ago, e_prime said:

Um. No. That's isn't necessarily what you do.  There have been plenty of last place teams where the core hasn't been sold off at bargain basement wholesale prices.  Which is obviously what Stevie was offered for Mantha, Bert and Larkin when he fielded those calls for them.

I think Larkin is a lot closer to our Duchene than to our MacKinnon, if you catch my drift

I look at Ottawa's situation as we approach the draft, and I hate to envy them, but I do, at least in regards to the draft. Three 1sts, four 2nds, two 3rds. They have the highest% chance at #1 overall. That's what a last place tank year should look like... and they're not even last place :unhappy:

Call me a doomer, but I don't think this team needs more fine-tuning, it needs complete overhaul.

13 minutes ago, e_prime said:

Also, I trust Steve in selling low on a peripheral problem child forward who dragged this team down every time he was on the ice and not scoring on a break away.

30 in '19

21 minutes ago, e_prime said:

As for trading a broken down old D-man that should have been sold multiple seasons ago... well, that should have been done by a certain General Manager who is no longer general or specifically managing this team. Not the God Emperor Steve Yzerman's job.  ...and look who took him!!  A certain manager that couldn't manage him to stay healthy in the first place and let him get injured moments after trading for him.  We were lucky to get a bag of pucks for that old "defenseman". Hell, hadn't seen him play defense EVER.

Holland was poised for redemption and a return to glory until Covid-19 (19? Odd number. Yzerman wouldn't have anything to do with this mysterious virus that is screwing Edmonton and Holland's playoffs right now would he?)

24 minutes ago, e_prime said:

Finally! Extra first round picks?  Who needs them when you make your first round draft picks count like drafting Seider in the first ...and in previous drafts you snagged the likes of Point and Cirelli in the third round.  THE THIRD ROUND. Extra first round picks, WHO NEEDS 'EM!

Except that Yzerman's previous team was literally build around high picks.

Stamkos - 1st overall
Hedman - 2nd overall
Kucherov - 2nd round
Coburn - 8th overall
Vasilevski - 19th overall
McDonagh - 12th overall
Sergachev - 9th overall
Cernak - 2nd round

Seider + Zadina isn't enough, especially when you consider my POV that I don't like Zagina much.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I think Larkin is a lot closer to our Duchene than to our MacKinnon, if you catch my drift

I look at Ottawa's situation as we approach the draft, and I hate to envy them, but I do, at least in regards to the draft. Three 1sts, four 2nds, two 3rds. They have the highest% chance at #1 overall. That's what a last place tank year should look like... and they're not even last place :unhappy:

Call me a doomer, but I don't think this team needs more fine-tuning, it needs complete overhaul.

30 in '19

Holland was poised for redemption and a return to glory until Covid-19 (19? Odd number. Yzerman wouldn't have anything to do with this mysterious virus that is screwing Edmonton and Holland's playoffs right now would he?)

Except that Yzerman's previous team was literally build around high picks.

Stamkos - 1st overall (drafted two years before he became GM)
Hedman - 2nd overall (drafted the year before he became GM) 
Kucherov - 2nd round (drafted in his second year as GM)
Coburn - 8th overall (acquired in a trade)
Vasilevski - 19th overall (drafted)
McDonagh - 12th overall (traded for) 
Sergachev - 9th overall. (traded for. Not drafted. *See below)
Cernak - 2nd round (traded for and in the grand scheme of things 43rd overall is not really that high, eh?)

Seider + Zadina isn't enough, especially when you consider my POV that I don't like Zagina much.

Great.  So when Larkin is traded in his ninth season with the Wings, much like when Matt Duchene was traded from the Avalanche and we have our MacKinnon (drafted four years after Duchene ...hmmmm a player drafted in 2018? Maybe one that you regularly emasculate. ...or maybe just an Average Joe.  Hmm. No matter. I digress.) 

Anyway, when we trade Larkin, we'll acquire players along the like of Samuel Girard, Vladislav Kamenev Andrew Hammond, and Shane Bowers as well as a  first- second- and third-round pick in a three team trade with say... The Preds and The Sens.

(Note:  I didn't cherry pick these names or the picks.  They're exactly whatever the Avs got or did not get from the Sens and Preds. I'm not and won't evaluating the talent or the picks or whom was picked with those picks in 2018. Just stating the facts, ma'am.  Bold to indicate what was the return from the Preds and what the trash from the Sens was ;) )

Speaking of the Sens.  You really want to be in the debacle the Sens are in to rebuild??  You envy the situation that got them into the place where they are with picks in this draft.  Okay. That's you, man.  It's a hard pass from me.  The Sens are a steaming trash heap that's somehow not on fire whilst sitting inside of an actual dumpster fire. No thank you. 

-

You called AA a peripheral player and now you're saying "30 in '19."  30 what?  Locker room tantrums?  PIM?  AA doesn't have 30 goals.  He doesn't have 30 points.  He has 27.  That's not 30.  What I said is that he is a problem child... and Steve is only willing to suffer a problem child for so long. 

Absolutely Steve Yzerman derailed Ken Holland's redemption story.  Why wouldn't he?  COVID-19.  No, no.  It's CAPTAIN-19.  Anyway, Kenny should have stepped away earlier all those years ago and let Steve rise to his destined position as GM of our beloved Red Wings that much earlier.  Then we wouldn't be in the situation we are now.  Holland was selfish.  Maybe he did Steve a favor by taking on that broken down old defenseman and peripheral player.  Meanwhile, Steve Yzerman doesn't owe Ken Holland a damn thing except to derail him as a GM.  Also, who won that trade.  Sam Gagne.  That's who.

...and as far as Steve building a team through high draft picks?  Well, duh. With this team? What else is he gonna do.  Even with ya boy Seider, the team he has currently looks poised to deposit a few more into his lap. So great. It's all going to plan.   Also, I just named two players drafted in the third round, that he drafted that are doing pretty well with that previous team so... yeah... You may have missed my point there. Not all high draft picks. ...and even then some of those high draft picks he build his team around that you pointed out... he didn't draft.  Some he inherited, some drafted, and some he traded for.  

So yeah, a complete overhaul is probably coming.  I've never said that this team doesn't need it.  Ultimately, I think you're right.  It's coming.  Yzerman has had the guts to trade a lot of players that people have said, "what? he traded who? wow!"  So maybe you'll get your wish and Larkin will be traded.   

Edited by e_prime