• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeymom1960

CAR vs NYI - Round 2

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, kliq said:

Come on Chaps, I know you love Mrazek but you're really trying hard to force the Mrazek narrative here. This round had nothing to do with Mrazek. McElhinney won 3 of the 4 games this series and did it with better numbers then Mrazek.

This Canes team is good, I said in in the first round but they are an underrated team that can do some damage.

Oh come on, it's funny. I'm not forcing any narrative, i made a joke. Big deal.

And Mrazek won 5 of the 8 so far, he's been a huge part of their run. Don't try to downplay his role in getting the Canes where they are now. It's all Mac? Haha Come on. Mrazek defeated the defending Cup champs in 7, shut the Isles out in Game 1, and was injured partway through Game 2 holding down a 2-1 lead. Not much he could do. Mac has done well in relief no doubt, they're lucky to have two capable 'tenders. They have a rest coming, Mrazek will start Round 3 if things are good. If not, Mac will.

As for "better numbers" in Round 2, Mrazek's save% was .976 in 1.5 games, Mac's was .947 in 2.5 games. Both have been solid.

3 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Oh come on, it's funny. I'm not forcing any narrative, i made a joke. Big deal.

And Mrazek won 5 of the 8 so far, he's been a huge part of their run. Don't try to downplay his role in getting the Canes where they are now. It's all Mac? Haha Come on. Mrazek defeated the defending Cup champs in 7, shut the Isles out in Game 1, and was injured partway through Game 2 holding down a 2-1 lead. Not much he could do. Mac has done well in relief no doubt, they're lucky to have two capable 'tenders. They have a rest coming, Mrazek will start Round 3 if things are good. If not, Mac will.

As for "better numbers" in Round 2, Mrazek's save% was .976 in 1.5 games, Mac's was .947 in 2.5 games. Both have been solid.

I’m not downplaying Mrazek, he was huge in the first round, I will give him all the credit in the world for that series.

Your comments specifically were making referencing to the second round which was all Mac, guy was 3-0. To make it sound as if carolina getting to the 3rd round was an accomplishment of Mrazek is just inaccurate. Not saying he couldn’t have done it, or that he didn’t play well in his 4 periods, but he didn’t win that series.

As far as numbers go, I’m comparing total numbers in the playoffs, and as of today Mac has better numbers.

5 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I'd chose Howard.

Let me ask you this, are you asking who I would rather have in a 1 year deal? Or are you asking me who I would rather have moving forward?

9 minutes ago, kliq said:

Let me ask you this, are you asking who I would rather have in a 1 year deal? Or are you asking me who I would rather have moving forward?

1 year deal I think Howard is a no brainer for transition sake. Moving forward I think the standard answer is "go with the younger goalie"

I just think Howard is a better fit for our team right now. Keep him at 1 year deal, then another 1 year if needed. With Larsson coming in after. 

I also don't think Mrazek works with our system. 

Edited by kickazz

2 minutes ago, kliq said:

I’m not downplaying Mrazek, he was huge in the first round, I will give him all the credit in the world for that series.

Your comments specifically were making referencing to the second round which was all Mac, guy was 3-0. To make it sound as if carolina getting to the 3rd round was an accomplishment of Mrazek is just inaccurate. Not saying he couldn’t have done it, or that he didn’t play well in his 4 periods, but he didn’t win that series.

As far as numbers go, I’m comparing total numbers in the playoffs, and as of today Mac has better numbers.

Wasn't meant to come across that way. I meant what's transpired in both rounds so far. Mrazek is still headed to the EC Final, and Howard has never reached a Conf Final. It's truth. He's the starter, and he's day to day with an injury. It happens. He's done more than his share to get the team this far, and he would have played if he was able. Should everything he did before he was injured be written off? That's kind of the way your making it sound, whether you give him credit for Washington or not. He was playing stellar in the Isles series, and was forced out.

Of course Mac has better numbers. He played 2.5 games. Most backups have good numbers, unless they really suck.

20 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

LET ME BE HAPPY FOR PETR FFS!!! lol

Be happy dude.

But why can't you be this happy for Howard? He's a Red Wing.. You always seem to say negative things about him and he's on your side.

Edited by kickazz

2 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Be happy dude.

But why can't you be this happy for Howard? He's a Red Wing.. You always seem to say negative things about him and he's on your side.

Nah, I gave him lots of credit this year. He was solid.

19 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Wasn't meant to come across that way. I meant what's transpired in both rounds so far. Mrazek is still headed to the EC Final, and Howard has never reached a Conf Final. It's truth. He's the starter, and he's day to day with an injury. It happens. He's done more than his share to get the team this far, and he would have played if he was able. Should everything he did before he was injured be written off? That's kind of the way your making it sound, whether you give him credit for Washington or not. He was playing stellar in the Isles series, and was forced out.

Of course Mac has better numbers. He played 2.5 games. Most backups have good numbers, unless they really suck.

I’m not sure why you are interpreting my comments the way you are, I will be crystal clear, I give Mrazek credit for his play this year, when did I ever imply what he did before his injury should be written off? Also, nowhere did I criticize his injury. Of course he was forced said out, never did I imply that was his fault.

My point was that I just can’t give credit to him for his his team winning a round that he essentially played 1 game in. That’s not taking away from anything he did prior, it’s just stating facts.

With that said, if Mrazek plays well next round (if he plays) and they win, I will give him credit. If Mac plays the entire third round and they win, I will not give Mrazek for getting to the finals.

Edited by kliq

1 minute ago, kliq said:

I’m not sure why you are interpreting my comments the way you are, I will be crystal clear, I give Mrazek credit for his play this year, when did I ever imply what he did before his injury should be written off? Also, nowhere did I criticize his injury, Of course he was force said out, never did I imply that was his fault.

My point was that I just can’t give credit to him for his his team winning a round that he essentially played 1 game in. That’s not taking away from anything he did prior, it’s just stating facts.

I getcha. Just miscommunication here. The team is a group. They succeed and fail together. This trip to the ECF belongs to, and was earned by, every team member. Which is why I said Mrazek is going to the ECF. lol.

3 hours ago, kliq said:

Come on Chaps, I know you love Mrazek but you're really trying hard to force the Mrazek narrative here. This round had nothing to do with Mrazek. McElhinney won 3 of the 4 games this series and did it with better numbers then Mrazek.

This Canes team is good, I said in in the first round but they are an underrated team that can do some damage.

Mrazek let in 1 goal in this series and singlehandedly won the first game with an OT  shutout win when the team in front of him was completely gassed. I think that game was pivotal as well as again, he had no team in front of him and had to set the stage for the series on his own. He was solid in game 2 before injury as well. Not taking away anything from McElhinney whatsoever, but Mrazek’s playoffs have been stellar by any objective measure. The Hurricanes have a great duo in net any way you shake it and they both play a big part in the team’s success. And no team can come close to matching the dollar value on what they’re getting out of these guys.

2 hours ago, kliq said:

IF his attitude issues were behind him, I would choose Mrazek.

I would’ve traded Howard and given Mrazek more rope. I’d bet on talent at this stage in the Wings progression as a team. Goaltending is the least of their problems most nights, but Holland was nostalgic and wouldn’t deal Howard and I do think that played a big part in the goaltending issues here with Mrazek. You might not like or respect it, but goalies are funny and that is what it is. I get it. But if you ask me, I think had we traded Howard and given Mrazek a legit fair shot at number one without the tension and bulls***, we’re not talking about this right now. 

5 hours ago, gcom007 said:

I would’ve traded Howard and given Mrazek more rope. I’d bet on talent at this stage in the Wings progression as a team. Goaltending is the least of their problems most nights, but Holland was nostalgic and wouldn’t deal Howard and I do think that played a big part in the goaltending issues here with Mrazek. You might not like or respect it, but goalies are funny and that is what it is. I get it. But if you ask me, I think had we traded Howard and given Mrazek a legit fair shot at number one without the tension and bulls***, we’re not talking about this right now. 

Holland kept the better goalie, which is exactly what any good GM would do. Giving Mrazek more rope wouldnt have stopped him from hanging himself.

7 hours ago, chaps80 said:

I getcha. Just miscommunication here. The team is a group. They succeed and fail together. This trip to the ECF belongs to, and was earned by, every team member. Which is why I said Mrazek is going to the ECF. lol.

The Canes were the 7th seed in the East. They're coming together and lighting it up at the right time. We've seen it many times before in the playoffs. Lightning in a bottle. That's all it is. If Mrazek was great all season long, then they wouldn't have squeaked into the playoffs in the first place. I see this for what it is...a fluke.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

11 hours ago, kickazz said:

1 year deal I think Howard is a no brainer for transition sake. Moving forward I think the standard answer is "go with the younger goalie"

I just think Howard is a better fit for our team right now. Keep him at 1 year deal, then another 1 year if needed. With Larsson coming in after. 

I also don't think Mrazek works with our system. 

I agree, if we had to sign one for 3 years then I would choose Mrazek due to the age, but if we are talking just a 1 year deal, I choose Howard.

9 hours ago, gcom007 said:

Mrazek let in 1 goal in this series and singlehandedly won the first game with an OT  shutout win when the team in front of him was completely gassed. I think that game was pivotal as well as again, he had no team in front of him and had to set the stage for the series on his own. He was solid in game 2 before injury as well. Not taking away anything from McElhinney whatsoever, but Mrazek’s playoffs have been stellar by any objective measure. The Hurricanes have a great duo in net any way you shake it and they both play a big part in the team’s success. And no team can come close to matching the dollar value on what they’re getting out of these guys.

Sure, I never said Mrazek didnt deserve credit for game 1, it was giving him credit for the entire series I had an issue with.

To the second bold, 100% agree. I literally said this earlier in the thread:

On 5/1/2019 at 10:06 PM, kliq said:

Dollar for dollar, it really is the most bang for your buck tandem in the NHL by a mile.

9 hours ago, gcom007 said:

From what I have heard it was more then that, there are stories of Mrazek being absolutely awful towards his coaches. Obviously this can't be proven as its all rumors, but considering Detroit is considered one of the most loyal franchises in the world, for them of all teams to essentially tell a player to GTFO you have to think there is some truth to it. Its too bad though, I think everyone wanted him to work out in Detroit. I think the last 2 years humbled Petr, and now he's a better goalie for it. Had he stayed, I dont think he takes his game to the next level. Win-Win.

6 minutes ago, kliq said:

From what I have heard it was more then that, there are stories of Mrazek being absolutely awful towards his coaches. Obviously this can't be proven as its all rumors, but considering Detroit is considered one of the most loyal franchises in the world, for them of all teams to essentially tell a player to GTFO you have to think there is some truth to it. Its too bad though, I think everyone wanted him to work out in Detroit. I think the last 2 years humbled Petr, and now he's a better goalie for it. Had he stayed, I dont think he takes his game to the next level. Win-Win.

I find it unusual when people side with 20 something year old punks over a 90 something year old reputable franchise ran by grown experienced professional men (and woman owner). 

I remember when Mrazek left twitter etc had people s***ting on Holland even with multiple reports of Mrazek’s attitude issues. 

Edited by kickazz

On 5/4/2019 at 9:28 AM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Holland kept the better goalie, which is exactly what any good GM would do. Giving Mrazek more rope wouldnt have stopped him from hanging himself.

The Canes were the 7th seed in the East. They're coming together and lighting it up at the right time. We've seen it many times before in the playoffs. Lightning in a bottle. That's all it is. If Mrazek was great all season long, then they wouldn't have squeaked into the playoffs in the first place. I see this for what it is...a fluke.

Umm....Mrazek had a pretty darn good regular season.  If he didn't play as well as he did (there is no question he was well above league average)....they don't make the playoffs.  Them finishing 7th and squeeking into the playoffs is not a knock on Mrazek, it is a positive....they don't make the playoffs without his strong play.  Not sure what the future holds, but in comparison to Howard, his season was certainly better than Howards and moving forward, not sure, but odds are in Mrazek's favour.....simply due to age.

So they arent better now? Conference final as a 7 seed. This team is playing far better now than it was before the playoffs. If before the playoffs it was because of Mrazek, than why are they playing so much better now? Mraxek? You cant have it both ways. And yes, a wildcard team in the conference is a fluke. They arent supposed to be there.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie