• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeymom1960

CAR vs NYI - Round 2

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

So they arent better now? Conference final as a 7 seed. This team is playing far better now than it was before the playoffs. If before the playoffs it was because of Mrazek, than why are they playing so much better now? Mraxek? You cant have it both ways. And yes, a wildcard team in the conference is a fluke. They arent supposed to be there.

Anything can happen in the playoffs...getting to conference finals doesn't mean you are a better team.  This is not a new line of thinking.  Over the course of the season, 82 games, it's not a fluke who makes it vs. not.  In the playoffs...different story, things happen, that's why teams (GMs) tend to do crazy things to try to get to the playoffs knowing if they can just get in, you never know what can happen after that.  Do many think "I don't want to do anything crazy here to just get in because I know we just aren't there yet to challenge for the cup"?  Absolutely, chances are 7th, 8th, etc. seeds are unlikely to go to the Finals, but it does happen regularly enough.

10 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

Umm....Mrazek had a pretty darn good regular season.  If he didn't play as well as he did (there is no question he was well above league average)....they don't make the playoffs.  Them finishing 7th and squeeking into the playoffs is not a knock on Mrazek, it is a positive....they don't make the playoffs without his strong play.  Not sure what the future holds, but in comparison to Howard, his season was certainly better than Howards and moving forward, not sure, but odds are in Mrazek's favour.....simply due to age.

Top ten in the league in every stat category since Jan. 1

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Top ten in the league in every stat category since Jan. 1

Ya, Carolina didnt get in just because Mrazek played great, they got in because their entire team played great (including Mrazek). I've said this since round 1, and I've said this many times, but this team is for real. They are a good team that is very underrated because they are "Carolina".

14 hours ago, kliq said:

Ya, Carolina didnt get in just because Mrazek played great, they got in because their entire team played great (including Mrazek). I've said this since round 1, and I've said this many times, but this team is for real. They are a good team that is very underrated because they are "Carolina".

Hamilton/Faulk/Slavin are really good. And their other Dmen are lowkey really sound defensively.

Are the Canes the official millennial team?

Rod: "Worked out"

Hamilton: "Went to a museum"

Aho: "So then these 3 puck bunnies came over to our table..."

Don: "LISTEN UP YOU BOIS AND GURLS at HOME, Ya DONT GO SITTIN IN a CIRCLES LIKE THAT SINGIN KUMBAYA. THIS is HOCKEY, ITS THE PLAYOFFS NOT A SUMMER CAMP ok Ron whats next"

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

They're defense and Winnipegs is who i would like our D to resemble.

Agreed. I think it was a few years ago, but I can remember @krsmith17 (please correct me if I'm wrong) posting about how Carolina was going to have a very good back end in a few years. I think it was back when we were all thinking of young D-men we could acquire, and names like Slavin, Hanifin, etc. were names that were being thrown around. Its nice to see a team do things the right way and have things pay off for them.

Hopefully like you said we follow in their footsteps.

2 hours ago, kliq said:

Agreed. I think it was a few years ago, but I can remember @krsmith17 (please correct me if I'm wrong) posting about how Carolina was going to have a very good back end in a few years. I think it was back when we were all thinking of young D-men we could acquire, and names like Slavin, Hanifin, etc. were names that were being thrown around. Its nice to see a team do things the right way and have things pay off for them.

With Bean still to come... Would be the top D prospect in most organizations.

3 hours ago, kliq said:

We dont need to find the next Lidstrom. Having a good, deep defense without a Karlsson or Letang or Doughty, etc soaking up lots of salary is exactly what I want to see. 

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

We dont need to find the next Lidstrom. Having a good, deep defense without a Karlsson or Letang or Doughty, etc soaking up lots of salary is exactly what I want to see. 

Honest question. Would anyone trade for Shea Weber right now? Cap and assets going back aside? I feel like sub 8 mil AAV for an allstar Dman isnt that bad anymore and will only continue to get better with time. Especially with guys like Karlsson who will be asking 10+. Length of contracr is an issue but I feel like Weber might hold up like Chelios did.

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Honest question. Would anyone trade for Shea Weber right now? Cap and assets going back aside? I feel like sub 8 mil AAV for an allstar Dman isnt that bad anymore and will only continue to get better with time. Especially with guys like Karlsson who will be asking 10+. Length of contracr is an issue but I feel like Weber might hold up like Chelios did.

No.

13 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

No.

I mean, I don't know how you can consider him without considering the cap and the assets we'd have to give up. If you're asking if I'd want him as a UFA at, like, $7M x 3, I think I could go for that. But the reality is he's 33 and his contract runs for another 500 years. And if the Habs are trading him right now, it means they think he's become a problem.

Amnesty buyouts could be a thing tho.

Edited by Dabura

4 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I mean, I don't know how you can consider him without considering the cap and the assets we'd have to give up. If you're asking if I'd want him as a UFA at, like, $7M x 3, I think I could go for that. But the reality is he's 33 and his contract runs for another 500 years. And if the Habs are trading him right now, it means they think he's become a problem.

500 years? I don't even think I'd want him for another 7 years...

But yeah, I agree with the bold. Weber is still a very good defenseman, but that contract is bad, not to mention the pieces we'd have to give up to get him. Not a good move for a rebuilding team...

12 minutes ago, Dabura said:

What age does it take him to? I guess I'm just price gauging Dmen. If he's still playing like this at 36 when top Dmen are making 12 mil+ he might be considered a bargain minus the risky length.

8 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

The only Weber I'd want...

Weber Original Kettle Premium 26" Charcoal Grill, Black

Everyones all Holland this, Yzerman that, i just wanna grill brotha. Throwin the teriyaki marinated flank steak on that bad boy in about 5.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

500 years? I don't even think I'd want him for another 7 years...

I think 3 years would be my limit. *Maybe* 4. 7 is nightmarish.

But I do have to assume we're getting amnesty buyouts with the next CBA, so maybe the term on his deal is a non-issue.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What age does it take him to? I guess I'm just price gauging Dmen. If he's still playing like this at 36 when top Dmen are making 12 mil+ he might be considered a bargain minus the risky length.

Contract expires in 2026. At whch point he'd be...40ish.

6 minutes ago, Dabura said:

But I do have to assume we're getting amnesty buyouts with the next CBA, so maybe the term on his deal is a non-issue.

Yeah, I'm just not that interested in signing a player to a contract that I think, "well, we'll have an amnesty buyout coming up if things go south"... I have no interest in trading for Weber for all the reasons (plus some) that I have no interest in signing Karlsson...

11 minutes ago, Dabura said:

So basically he makes 7.9 million till he's 40. I honestly think you guys are exaggerating a bit. It's not ideal, but this is consistently one of the best Dmen in the league and prices on Dmen are rising quickly. Weber may end up a steal at 38 years old. Chara is making like 5 mil at 42 right now and no one is complaining.

I say this all with no consideration for what it would take to obtain him. But that said I HIGHLY doubt an amnesty buyout will be used on him as you both allude.

On 5/5/2019 at 10:11 PM, kliq said:

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Hamilton/Faulk/Slavin are really good. And their other Dmen are lowkey really sound defensively.

7 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

They're defense and Winnipegs is who i would like our D to resemble.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

With Bean still to come... Would be the top D prospect in most organizations.

I feel like Jaccob Slavin and Brett Pesce are arguably two of the most underappreciated defensemen in the league. Slavin especially. Dude's put up 11 points through these first two rounds. If the Isles don't go out like chumps in four straight, he probably has more than 11 points. Madness.

I also feel like Bean doesn't get much attention. Which is weird, because he definitely counts as a top prospect and I was kind of under the impression that every GM and his mother covets young defensemen just like him.

13 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

So basically he makes 7.9 million till he's 40. I honestly think you guys are exaggerating a bit. It's not ideal, but this is consistently one of the best Dmen in the league and prices on Dmen are rising quickly. Weber may end up a steal at 38 years old. Chara is making like 5 mil at 42 right now and no one is complaining.

I say this all with no consideration for what it would take to obtain him. But that said I HIGHLY doubt an amnesty buyout will be used on him as you both allude.

Doughty, a very similar Dman becomes an $11 million dollar player next year at 30. Karlsson will be gunning for $12 a year at 28. By the time Weber is 36 prices may be reaching $14 mil, almost double what Weber makes now. I guess it's all dependent on how his body holds up, which is admittedly a crap shoot.

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Weber may end up being a steal at 38 years old. But I'm ok with the Wings not being the team that has to count on him aging extraordinarily well.

League is getting younger and faster. Cap hell is getting easier to slip into. Yzerman is starting with something close to a blank slate. I want another golden age where the Wings are a perennial contender for 20 years. ...All of which is to say: If you come knocking at my door with a used Shea Weber -- whose contract expires in 2026 -- and you want me to fork over a couple of prime assets for him, you had better be Stephanie Seymour wearing nothing but black stockings, or else this will be my reaction:

cat-hissing-thinkstock-187628924-335lc04

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

Weber may end up being a steal at 38 years old. But I'm ok with the Wings not being the team that has to count on him aging extraordinarily well.

League is getting younger and faster. Cap hell is getting easier to slip into. Yzerman is starting with something close to a blank slate. I want another golden age where the Wings are a perennial contender for 20 years. ...All of which is to say: If you come knocking at my door with a used Shea Weber -- whose contract expires in 2026 -- and you want me to fork over a couple of prime assets for him, you had better be Stephanie Seymour wearing nothing but black stockings, or else this will be my reaction:

cat-hissing-thinkstock-187628924-335lc04

I don't want him either, just had 2 glasses of wine and musing...

If we become dominant in a few years thoughhhhh Could be a nice Coffey/Murphy style edition...

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't want him either, just had 2 glasses of wine and musing...

If we become dominant in a few years thoughhhhh Could be a nice Coffey/Murphy style edition...

Gimme your keys, you is drunk.