• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kylee

Poll: Datsyuk on the team at 41?

Rate this topic

Do you want a 41 year old Datsyuk on the team?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

No, I get it, just try to put some logic into it.  I wouldn't mind taking him back with the right circumstances (i.e. 1 year, low cap hit).  But even then, do I care about cap hit?  I don't think the Wings are close to contenders yet, so overpaying a guy doesn't really hurt.  I must say, I'm not a fan of it though, he decided to leave with time left on his deal to play somewhere else.....then feels like coming back later?  Why would I want to take him back?  I'm just happy this isn't something happening in the prime of his career, feelings and discussions would be quite different.

Pretty much how I feel about the whole situation as well.

Datsyuk is not going to be the same Datsyuk that left us 3 years ago. He'll be 41 years old this summer. I wouldn't complain about a one-year contract, but I don't necessarily want it either.

Either way, I don't expect him to come back to the NHL. He's done.

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Datsyuk is not going to be the same Datsyuk that left us 3 years ago. He'll be 41 years old this summer. I wouldn't complain about a one-year contract, but I don't necessarily want it either.

Agreed, but not only will he not be the same as he was when he left, the player that left wasn't the same as what we were used to earlier in his career either.  Decline had been setting in for some time and that's why I wasn't too pissed about losing him that year, but still didn't like the way he left.  If I'm honest, I didn't have much emotion to it, just had those thoughts because of how vilified Fedorov was and he left as an UFA.

23 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Pretty much how I feel about the whole situation as well.

Either way, I don't expect him to come back to the NHL. He's done.

His agent seems adamant that the possibility is on the table, and Friedman suggests the matter was discussed with Holland earlier. I’m not saying it’s a given, but the way things are looking after reading this and hearing about him bringing his family to Detroit, I’d be more surprised if he didn’t return to the Wings next year at this point. And I’m personally getting pretty excited about it. I feel pretty confident that the Magic Man still has some tricks up his sleeve. He won’t be the player he was, but he could be a solid asset at a great price. 

2 minutes ago, gcom007 said:

His agent seems adamant that the possibility is on the table, and Friedman suggests the matter was discussed with Holland earlier. I’m not saying it’s a given, but the way things are looking after reading this and hearing about him bringing his family to Detroit, I’d be more surprised if he didn’t return to the Wings next year at this point. And I’m personally getting pretty excited about it. I feel pretty confident that the Magic Man still has some tricks up his sleeve. He won’t be the player he was, but he could be a solid asset at a great price. 

He'd be like our Brad Richards addition a few years ago. He'll be slow but will still put up like 40 pts feeding the kiddos juicy passes.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

He'd be like our Brad Richards addition a few years ago. He'll be slow but will still put up like 40 pts feeding the kiddos juicy passes.

40-50 points seems very doable with the offense we’re starting to get going. Not sure why anyone would turn their noses up at that. 

4 minutes ago, gcom007 said:

40-50 points seems very doable with the offense we’re starting to get going. Not sure why anyone would turn their noses up at that. 

Wouldn't turn my nose up at 40-50 points, but I don't think that is very likely either.

58 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

No, I get it, just try to put some logic into it.  I wouldn't mind taking him back with the right circumstances (i.e. 1 year, low cap hit).  But even then, do I care about cap hit?  I don't think the Wings are close to contenders yet, so overpaying a guy doesn't really hurt.  I must say, I'm not a fan of it though, he decided to leave with time left on his deal to play somewhere else.....then feels like coming back later?  Why would I want to take him back?  I'm just happy this isn't something happening in the prime of his career, feelings and discussions would be quite different.

Not sure how a contract with one year left on the deal ends if you don't end up playing that one year.  I'm sure Arizona has some sort of rights to Datsyuk, if he wanted to come back to the NHL, I'm assuming he wouldn't be coming back as an UFA

Datsyuk is a free agent as far as the NHL is concerned. It looks like maybe there was a time limit on it or something? According to his agent anyway, via the link below, he'll be a free agent come July 1st.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/01/24/pavel-datsyuk-detroit-red-wings/2667827002/

In order to free up salary cap space, the Wings traded Datsyuk’s contract to Arizona in a deal that also involved swapping first-round picks (Arizona moved up to 16th and drafted Jakob Chychrun; the Wings drafted Dennis Cholowski at 20th), and the Wings also received a second-round pick (which they used on Filip Hronek). Milstein said the Coyotes own Datysuk’s rights until July 1, 2019, when he becomes an unrestricted free agent. 

20 minutes ago, amato said:

Datsyuk is a free agent as far as the NHL is concerned. It looks like maybe there was a time limit on it or something? According to his agent anyway, via the link below, he'll be a free agent come July 1st.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/01/24/pavel-datsyuk-detroit-red-wings/2667827002/

In order to free up salary cap space, the Wings traded Datsyuk’s contract to Arizona in a deal that also involved swapping first-round picks (Arizona moved up to 16th and drafted Jakob Chychrun; the Wings drafted Dennis Cholowski at 20th), and the Wings also received a second-round pick (which they used on Filip Hronek). Milstein said the Coyotes own Datysuk’s rights until July 1, 2019, when he becomes an unrestricted free agent. 

There must be some miscommunication or lack of editing there. I'm pretty sure that should read "Milstein said the Coyotes SKA own Datysuk’s rights until July 1, 2019, when he becomes an unrestricted free agent"...

2 hours ago, gcom007 said:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/05/01/ex-detroit-red-wings-star-pavel-datsyuk-informs-khl-team-hes-not-returning/3638027002/

“(But) if Pavel decides to continue to explore the possibility of playing in the National Hockey League, I can tell you the only club he would play for would be the Detroit Red Wings.

“He would not consider any other options.”

I said this back when the rumours started. Why on Earth would he play for anyone else? If he comes back, it'll only be for Detroit. I bet he feels he owes the fans, the organization.

What if Yzerman drafts Podkolzin? Maybe Datsyuk will be instrumental in making his choice to come to NA easier. Scouts have been uncertain whether he'll go to the KHL or come over. 

Also, this would pretty much guarantee #13 goes to the rafters too. Talk about a mentor to have as well.

It'll make Nielsen expendable. May be he'd get traded to a contender. I've always pictured him going back to NY via trade, maybe they come calling if they fall short this playoff.

I'm good if they sign him. Isn't gonna hurt for a season. It can only help.

He scored .77 ppg in the K, not sure what that translates to in NHL points, but I don't think the exchange rate is very favorable going from KHL to NHL.

It would be great to have him back from a, I have always loved Dats point of view, but i'm not sure he fits team dynamic anymore. The team has moved forward a lot this last season from its old Leadership, I'm not sure Z would even fit and he has only been gone 1 season. 

45 minutes ago, Rick D said:

He scored .77 ppg in the K, not sure what that translates to in NHL points, but I don't think the exchange rate is very favorable going from KHL to NHL.

It would be great to have him back from a, I have always loved Dats point of view, but i'm not sure he fits team dynamic anymore. The team has moved forward a lot this last season from its old Leadership, I'm not sure Z would even fit and he has only been gone 1 season. 

According to Hockey Abstract the translation factor for KHL to NHL was roughly 0.74, as of 2017.

By that metric Datsyuk would have had roughly 31 pts in 54 games in the NHL this year, or 47 pts in a full 82 game season.

12 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Also this thou

More from Milstein and MLive

“Pavel obviously respects (Yzerman) so much,” Milstein said. “He was one of the first guys to ask me to send him a note on his behalf to congratulate him after he got the job in Detroit, but I haven’t had any business conversations since Steve took over the Detroit Red Wings.

“If Pavel wants to come back to the NHL, the only phone call I would make would be to Steve Yzerman.”

Milstein said Datsyuk and his family will be in Detroit later this week for a three-week visit in the U.S. to see friends. His visit will include a tour of Little Caesars Arena.

“He might be a little bit slower, but his hockey sense and the way he plays is still something that the 20-year-olds wish that they would have,” Milstein said. “Many teams would have high interest in getting Pavel Datsyuk despite his age.”

The Red Wings have plenty of cap space. But if Datsyuk were to return, they’d probably need to move Andreas Athanasiou back to the wing after grooming him as their second-line center the latter part of the season.

Sounds like Khan thinks Datsyuk would take over 2nd line C role. Could actually be a nice fit until Veleno is ready.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

9 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

According to Hockey Abstract the translation factor for KHL to NHL was roughly 0.74, as of 2017.

By that metric Datsyuk would have had roughly 31 pts in 54 games in the NHL this year, or 47 pts in a full 82 game season.

Also this thou

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

More from Milstein and MLive

Sounds like Khan thinks Datsyuk would take over 2nd line C role. Could actually be a nice fit until Veleno is ready.

Personally, I'm not expecting him back. And if he does come back, I wouldn't expect much from him. This is not prime years Datsyuk. This isn't even 2015-16 Datsyuk.

Milstein says his hockey sense is great, and it is, but of course Milstein's gonna say that. Datsyuk was slowing down in a noticeable way in his last season with the Wings, and that was several years ago. The league has gotten much faster since then. And we're rebuilding. Good to know there's no bad blood or hard feelings between the parties, but I'm not getting too excited.

I don't think we should be too quick to abandon the AA-at-center project. If we're talking about the possibility of being able to roll Larkin, AA, Datsyuk, Nielsen as our four centermen, that's something I think could get behind. That's arguably a solid playoff-caliber group.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Personally, I'm not expecting him back. And if he does come back, I wouldn't expect much from him. This is not prime years Datsyuk. This isn't even 2015-16 Datsyuk.

Milstein says his hockey sense is great, and it is, but of course Milstein's gonna say that. Datsyuk was slowing down in a noticeable way in his last season with the Wings, and that was several years ago. The league has gotten much faster since then. And we're rebuilding. Good to know there's no bad blood or hard feelings between the parties, but I'm not getting too excited.

I don't think we should be too quick to abandon the AA-at-center project. If we're talking about the possibility of being able to roll Larkin, AA, Datsyuk, Nielsen as our four centermen, that's something I think could get behind. That's arguably a solid playoff-caliber group.

I love Glendening as a C too much

It's all media. I think he's much more likely to sign with Yekaterinburg as Swede bro and Bobfather suggested

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I love Glendening as a C too much

Well, that just strengthens the point. Larkin, AA, Datsyuk, Nielsen, Glendening (moved around the lineup as needed) is good center depth, in theory. But they'd probably just move AA back to the wing, so whatevz.

11 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

It's all media. I think he's much more likely to sign with Yekaterinburg as Swede bro and Bobfather suggested

Probably.