• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Holland set to become GM of Oilers

Rate this topic

I've been a Holland supporter for the most part, so it's unfortunate to see him go. However, I'm excited to see what he can do in Edmonton. He'll have that franchise center to build around, but he'll have a lot of work to do to clean up the mess left by Chiarelli.

From one cap hell to a worse one? Kidding (mostly). But good luck to him. I've been somewhat of an Oilers fan for a little while and it's been frustrating to watch them unable to pull a consistently good team together with the top end talent they have. Hope he's the one to do it.

Wow!  Wasn't it like a month ago he was saying he loves being a Red Wing and he'll be the GM until he isn't.  A lot has happened in a month eh?  Good for Holland though.  It should be interesting to see if he can turn Edmonton into a winner.  He has a great piece in McDavid to build around, but will he be able to build around him.  He could either be the guy that turns McDavid into a Stanley Cup champion or the guy that trades McDavid to a contender.  I doubt the latter would happen within the time frame of this contract, but McDavid isn't going to go Cup-less for his entire career.

2 hours ago, rwing said:

Great news. Yzerman will be unencumbered and solely in charge as GM. 

It hope so. I read that Pat Verbeek would come in as new GM and Steve Yzerman would move up. I hope not because I want to see what Steve can do. I was so looking forward to seeing what Dteve was going to do

Sad to see the reaction of some Wings fans. I grew up a fan of 4 teams, the Wings, Blue Jays, Raptors, and Lions. With the exception of my first two years as a Jays fan, between those 3 teams I never saw a single championship. Lions can't win  playoff game, Raptors have not been relevant until now *fingers crossed*, and outside of a couple good years in 2015 and 2016, the Jays have not been contenders since the '93 team broke up.

In that same time frame, the Wings brought me as a fan 4 Cups, 6 finals appearances, 8 conference finals, and they were contenders every single year from when Holland took over until 2013. In that time frame they even successfully went through a re-build on the fly to win a cup.

There is no question that between 2013 and 2017 we were in a holding pattern of mediocrity, and we made bad moves, likely done to preserve the streak, but regardless of the reason, it happened. During that time we signed some bad contracts, and bad decisions were made, that is for sure, no argument. With that said, since the 2017 TDL the majority of the decisions that have been made have been good and placing us in the right direction

I understand people wanting to move in a different direction, especially with Yzerman, I myself am happy we moved in that direction. But now that Holland is gone, I would think that people would show appreciation for what he accomplished here opposed to having a "dont let the door hit you on the ass" mentality. Its just sad, the Holland chapter is over, rather then judging him for the 4 bad years, or minor mistakes during the good years, lets focus on the 17 good years, and all the championships. I just hope the same people don't turn on Yzerman when the team eventually becomes bad under him, because it happens to everyone eventually. 

24 minutes ago, kliq said:

Sad to see the reaction of some Wings fans. I grew up a fan of 4 teams, the Wings, Blue Jays, Raptors, and Lions. With the exception of my first two years as a Jays fan, between those 3 teams I never saw a single championship. Lions can't win  playoff game, Raptors have not been relevant until now *fingers crossed*, and outside of a couple good years in 2015 and 2016, the Jays have not been contenders since the '93 team broke up.

In that same time frame, the Wings brought me as a fan 4 Cups, 6 finals appearances, 8 conference finals, and they were contenders every single year from when Holland took over until 2013. In that time frame they even successfully went through a re-build on the fly to win a cup.

There is no question that between 2013 and 2017 we were in a holding pattern of mediocrity, and we made bad moves, likely done to preserve the streak, but regardless of the reason, it happened. During that time we signed some bad contracts, and bad decisions were made, that is for sure, no argument. With that said, since the 2017 TDL the majority of the decisions that have been made have been good and placing us in the right direction

I understand people wanting to move in a different direction, especially with Yzerman, I myself am happy we moved in that direction. But now that Holland is gone, I would think that people would show appreciation for what he accomplished here opposed to having a "dont let the door hit you on the ass" mentality. Its just sad, the Holland chapter is over, rather then judging him for the 4 bad years, or minor mistakes during the good years, lets focus on the 17 good years, and all the championships. I just hope the same people don't turn on Yzerman when the team eventually becomes bad under him, because it happens to everyone eventually. 

It’s just natural for us to react that way when someone leaves for the $$$

Like I said though, if I was him. I’d do the same. Hypocritical? Sure. But it’s $25 million.

39 minutes ago, kickazz said:

It’s just natural for us to react that way when someone leaves for the $$$

Like I said though, if I was him. I’d do the same. Hypocritical? Sure. But it’s $25 million.

Will Holland get the same treatment after a few years like Babcock is getting now in Toronto?

2 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Will Holland get the same treatment after a few years like Babcock is getting now in Toronto?

Years??? His name will be mud by Christmas.  

Fans will expect him to come in and fix that disaster right away.  Which is unreasonable and impossible. 

2 minutes ago, mackel said:

Years??? His name will be mud by Christmas.  

Fans will expect him to come in and fix that disaster right away.  Which is unreasonable and impossible. 

Unless Holland has a few tricks up his sleeve - it's gonna take 2, or 3 seasons before they're playoff bound...I've been wrong before.