• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Holland set to become GM of Oilers

Rate this topic

Wow, didn’t think he’d jet so quick. Thought Seattle was a possibility in time but this is surprising.

Honestly sad to see him go. I think him stepping away as GM was for the best, but he’s been an important part of the organization for so long. He had his ups and downs, what can we say? Frustrating as he has been at times the last few years, it’s really ******* weird to think of him as a part of another organization, especially Edmonton. Very strange indeed...

So maybe the best compliment I can give him, end of the day, is there aren’t many in this organization that seem to be “Red Wings” at the core like Holland. It’s going to be like seeing Steve working for Tampa. I get it, but it doesn’t feel right. 

6 minutes ago, gcom007 said:

Wow, didn’t think he’d jet so quick. Thought Seattle was a possibility in time but this is surprising.

Honestly sad to see him go. I think him stepping away as GM was for the best, but he’s been an important part of the organization for so long. He had his ups and downs, what can we say? Frustrating as he has been at times the last few years, it’s really ******* weird to think of him as a part of another organization, especially Edmonton. Very strange indeed...

So maybe the best compliment I can give him, end of the day, is there aren’t many in this organization that seem to be “Red Wings” at the core like Holland. It’s going to be like seeing Steve working for Tampa. I get it, but it doesn’t feel right. 

Guy is a legendary GM period, no matter how badly you want to paint his "maintain the streak" years. That's why a guy like this warrants a $25 mill offer. He's basically the new Lamoriello. He's going to hopefully go into Edmonton and right the ship just like Lou did with Toronto.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

Money and a new challenge to try to rebuild a struggling franchise with two star players in McDavid and Leon. Chiarelli sure left him a mess though, best of luck. Holland has handed out bad long term deals, but some of the ones on the books in Edmonton are even worse. Some forwards are overpaid and s***ty, defense is old and overpaid, goaltending is questionable..who do they have? Koskinen and Stolarz?

Actually, their D isn't old, i thought Sekera and Russell were older. They just suck and and are overpaid and have NMCs. $4 million per until 2021 with an NMC for Kris Russell.? Christ.

Edited by chaps80

27 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Money and a new challenge to try to rebuild a struggling franchise with two star players in McDavid and Leon. Chiarelli sure left him a mess though, best of luck. Holland has handed out bad long term deals, but some of the ones on the books in Edmonton are even worse. Some forwards are overpaid and s***ty, defense is old and overpaid, goaltending is questionable..who do they have? Koskinen and Stolarz?

Actually, their D isn't old, i thought Sekera and Russell were older. They just suck and and are overpaid and have NMCs. $4 million per until 2021 with an NMC for Kris Russell.? Christ.

Holland has an easier task ahead of him than Yzerman.

30 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Guy is a legendary GM period, no matter how badly you want to paint his "maintain the streak" years. That's why a guy like this warrants a $25 mill offer. He's basically the new Lamoriello. He's going to hopefully go into Edmonton and right the ship just like Lou did with Toronto.

What if Holland ends up in Toronto?

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

I was reading some of the articles out of Edmonton on this. One writer posted a "to do list" for Holland. Three of the ten or so things were get rid of the Lucic contract. lol

Did anyone anywhere ever think that wasnt a bad signing? I think Chiarelli is the only human to think that it was a good idea. Other than maybe Lucic.

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

What makes you think the Oilers are a "small market" team? They're not. Right, you only have so many people to buy tickets and merchandise. The people in Edmonton are buying both, despite the team being s***. Imagine when they actually get good in a few years. They will get there. Mark it. Oilers aren't going anywhere...

Edmontons metro population is around a million people. A lot more than I thought it was. So no, I wouldnt consider it a small market by that metric. But we have seen major league franchises in other sports succeed only in Toronto among Canadian cities. The NHL is different for now in that hockey is the biggest sport in Canada and only a niche sport in the US (unlike the NBA or MLB). If the popularity of the NHL ever comes close to that of baseball, football, or basketball in the US, the Canadian franchises will suffer and only Toronto and probably Montreal would remain in good standing.

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Neck yourself

Speech is violence.

5 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Holland has an easier task ahead of him than Yzerman.

What if Holland ends up in Toronto?

Did anyone anywhere ever think that wasnt a bad signing? I think Chiarelli is the only human to think that it was a good idea. Other than maybe Lucic.

I dunno about that. Kind of a toss up. Nielson, Abby, Helm, DeKeyser are the long terms that stick out. Ericsson and Daley's deals are done after this coming season. Howard is on one year deals from here on out. Bernier's only got two years left. Larkin, AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi are all doing well.

Edmonton has Lucic, Gagner, Sekera, Larsson, Russell on bad deals. Koskinen makes more than Howard, is signed for another three years , and isn't any better. They're two top forwards are definitely better than any of ours, so they have the advantage there. Nuge and Chaisson are good too, but not any better than our top three.

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I think you guys seriously underestimate how much there is to be made/lost in exchange rates.

That said, I dont think Oilers are going anywhere. Weve been saying theyre on the verge of greatness for like 10 years now though. But I have faith Holland can fix that team if the backroom lets him do his thing. 

In all likelihood they hedge the FX exposure so shouldn’t be as significant of an impact as you think.

9 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Okay... I'm not sure what you're getting at here... Are you trying to refute what I'm saying because the Gretzky era Oilers are ahead of the McDavid era Oilers? Are you agreeing with what I'm saying? Or are you just stating facts to add onto what I'm saying?...

Was just wondering what you meant by “look where Edmonton was before they got Gretzky “....they didn’t exist.  Not sure the oilers are much further ahead now before and after getting McDavid either.  I half agree with you though...Edmonton isn’t going anywhere, but not sure I am as optimistic on their future as you...closer to your thinking then leaning towards them being bad though 

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Edmontons metro population is around a million people. A lot more than I thought it was. So no, I wouldnt consider it a small market by that metric. But we have seen major league franchises in other sports succeed only in Toronto among Canadian cities. The NHL is different for now in that hockey is the biggest sport in Canada and only a niche sport in the US (unlike the NBA or MLB). If the popularity of the NHL ever comes close to that of baseball, football, or basketball in the US, the Canadian franchises will suffer and only Toronto and probably Montreal would remain in good standing.

I disagree. Hockey growing in the States will not negatively impact Canadian markets, especially Edmonton. I'll assume you've never been to a game there, but that city eats, sleeps and breathes hockey. Like I said, they're ticket and merchandise sales are in the top half (closer to top 10) of the league, despite them being a terrible team right now. Imagine those numbers when they get good in a few years...

58 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

Was just wondering what you meant by “look where Edmonton was before they got Gretzky “....they didn’t exist.  Not sure the oilers are much further ahead now before and after getting McDavid either.  I half agree with you though...Edmonton isn’t going anywhere, but not sure I am as optimistic on their future as you...closer to your thinking then leaning towards them being bad though 

They're further ahead in that they have the best player in the world entering his prime. Something that is unique to one team. They've now added one of the best GM's of the past quarter century. I have full confidence in that team turning it around in the next few years. I guess I understand why there is some skepticism, but I have no idea why anyone would think they're going to be a defunct team any time soon...

43 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

What humors me most is how a significant % of the Oilers fanbase over on HF Boards wants no part of Holland.

Yeah seriously. 

People think it’s just the Wings fans s***ting on Holland over the years, honestly his rep took a hit by outsiders as well.  

I’m genuinely curious about how things play out in Edmonton. 

Hes not being received nearly as well as one would think. 

Edited by kickazz

9 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Hockey will never be more popular in US than Canada. 

2 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Yeah seriously. 

People think it’s just the Wings fans s***ting on Holland over the years, honestly his rep took a hit by outsiders as well.  

Barring a few bold moves over the summer - I feel it'll take a season, or 2 before the Oilers have a shot at making the playoffs.

Holland stepped into the GM role in Detroit while things were going great, and he was a part of it all by starting off as a scout in the mid 80s...Now he's back in the $hit with what a few kernels of corn in McDavid, and Draisaitl...It'll be a team in the west that I'll look forward watching these next few seasons.

Since Edmonton seems to have miraculous "luck" with landing the 1st overall pick, Kenny may finally find himself in the rare position of getting THE top prospect to build the Oilers.  That would be new and interesting to watch unfold in the sense of player pick and said players development.

Another topic for another day:....how the Heck does the Oil land so many 1st overall picks?  Canadian Hockey Elite Conspiracy?  Next question: with such top end talent coming in, shouldn't it be a punishable by law that they've been pretty much garbage (except for 2016-2017) for such a long time.  I don't get it. 

2 hours ago, kickazz said:

I don't think that was the premise.  Not to speak for the person, but I'm guessing the thought process was that if hockey became very popular in the US, it might hurt Cdn teams because they earn revenues in CAD$ and if it got more and more popular in the US, overall league revenues would increase, therefore, cap and floor would increase and potentially Cdn teams would struggle to reach the floor.  That's the only logical scenario I can think of, but it's still not logical.  If the NHL became so popular in the US, TV revenues would increase dramatically and all teams would share in such revenues and who knows where the exchange rate will be anyway.  It wasn't that long ago that the CAD$ and US$ were on par, in fact, the CAD$ was worth more.  That exchange rate wasn't good for certain industries and was good for others.

The overall population of the US is about 10x that of Canada, so hockey wouldn't have to become more popular in the US to reach the scenario that I think he/she was trying to get at.

I'll be honest though.....as immigration continues to increase in Canada, I do wonder if hockey will continue to be as popular as it has been.  I live in Toronto though, so the amount of people living hear that were born outside of the country is vastly different from much of the country, so perhaps the potential issue is not as great as it might seem.

Edited by toby91_ca

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

What humors me most is how a significant % of the Oilers fanbase over on HF Boards wants no part of Holland.

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Yeah seriously. 

Nothing more than dumb fans spewing dumb s*** on something they clearly know very little about. Holland is a great general manager. Ask fans and then ask people actually involved in the NHL, and you'll get two polar opposite responses. There's a reason for that...

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Yeah seriously. 

LOL

Oilers have one of the most emotionally unstable fan bases in the entire NHL. You want to use their reaction to Holland as a way to justify the behavior of Wings fans?  Ohhhhhh K. smh

3 hours ago, kickazz said:

In terms of it being the "national sport"...I agree. In terms of the fanaticism...I agree. But if only 20% of the US population becomes serious hockey fans, thats almost double the population of the entire country of Canada. I dont think it's out of the question that US hockey fans will outnumber Canadian ones.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

3 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

LOL

Oilers have one of the most emotionally unstable fan bases in the entire NHL. You want to use their reaction to Holland as a way to justify the behavior of Wings fans?  Ohhhhhh K. smh

He’s going to be disrespected 10x more amongst Oilers fans than Wings fans if he doesn’t suit their needs is my point.