• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Holland set to become GM of Oilers

Rate this topic

How many GM's work to bring in the perfect replacement for their job before essentially being fired?

Oh and the new guy is classy too:

wwfw20xkotw21.jpg

3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Watching the presser right now...Oilers owner looks either hungover, or still intoxicated.\

EDIT - or perhaps some botched plastic surgery...

Ur a monster

And in his first move as an Oiler, Ken fires somebody lol

Chia really was bad, Holland gonna rebuild the rep

23 hours ago, kliq said:

Meh, its only a matter of time before you turn on Yzerman and call him an idiot, or make up a name like Yzertard or Yzermmoron or something.

Depends on if he runs the team like Holland Jr. If he's willing to cut bait on vets, doesn't give out NTCs like candy on Halloween, and doesn't think that tenure=good player, I'll be fine with him.  His time in TB showed that he's willing to move on from players and doesn't give into player demands just because trading a guy would be hard.

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Nothing more than dumb fans spewing dumb s*** on something they clearly know very little about. Holland is a great general manager. Ask fans and then ask people actually involved in the NHL, and you'll get two polar opposite responses. There's a reason for that...

He WAS a great GM.  The last few years he acted very complacent.  Handed out deals with seemingly little negotiation, valued tenure with the team over talent, didn't want to make any hard choices.  I don't see Holland making the Hasek trade the last few years because "we feel that Chris Osgood is an excellent goalie and we have a good relationship with him."  Yeah, he's made some good deadline trades and did a good job moving Datsyuk's contract, but the free agency signings and some of the higher draft picks have been questionable at best.  I go back and forth on the "make the playoffs at all costs" attitude because I'm still not sure if that was ownership or Holland pushing that, but whoever it was blundered, and Holland went along with it if it was ownership's decision.

41 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

How many GM's work to bring in the perfect replacement for their job before essentially being fired?

wwfw20xkotw21.jpg

Ur a monster

And in his first move as an Oiler, Ken fires somebody lol

Chia really was bad, Holland gonna rebuild the rep

image.jpeg.327f1df6f600df3ed6e6361fb604e148.jpeg

Image result for Artie Lange

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

There's a joke about jews and noses somewhere in here

I'm certain if both consumed a pound of bacon their woes would instantly disappear...Well that's what I tend to do when I'm hung over...

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

wwfw20xkotw21.jpg

A bacteria resistant sinus infection would be a very good thing. I think u mean antibiotic resistant sinus infection. Lol.

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

I'm still not sure if that was ownership or Holland pushing that, but whoever it was blundered, and Holland went along with it if it was ownership's decision.

That's called being an employee.

18 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

A bacteria resistant sinus infection would be a very good thing. I think u mean antibiotic resistant sinus infection. Lol.

That's called being an employee.

MRSA?

Probable root cause was snorting too much blow outta hookers a$$ cracks...At least that would be my demise if I were a billionaire.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:09 AM, kickazz said:

You guys should see the reactions from some Oilers fans with Ken Holland signing. 

Lots of trash talking about his “mismanagement / bad contracts” with Detroit.

There’s already skepticism from some Oilers fans on Twitter. It’s kinda sad. 

Article below has a few highlights.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/predictable-and-disappointing-twitter-reacts-to-news-edmonton-oilers-have-hired-ken-holland/amp

Christian Pagnani
@chrispagnani
Holland obviously had a lot of success in the past, but it’s hard to see Detroit currently and not be concerned. I’m not sure you can hand wave the cap problems and mistakes away in the name of trying to keep the playoff streak alive.

Jeff Veillette
@JeffVeillette
The Oilers will never, ever figure themselves out. All this talk about deep examination, self-reflection, and interviewing people with plans, all to ultimately throw cash at a guy who didn’t interview, whose philosophies are the exact same as the status quo, with ties to the boss

Oilcaholic @oilcaholic
Oiler fans: Get rid of the old boys club.

Oilers: Hire a different older boy.

Dean Millard @DuckMillard
Does anyone else think hiring Ken Holland is a little like Chiarelli?

Like Chiarelli Holland has won it all (more than once) but he has also put the Wings in a bad spot cap wise like Chiarelli did in Boston and Edmonton.

I think Holland is a smart man but I see similarities.

Jon Hagen @Sabres_Nation
Ken Holland is a good GM who made horrible contract decisions the last few years. Can’t make those mistakes again

People think Wings fans are harsh. Oilers fans are cynical as hell and already s***ting on the guy yikes.

Lowetide.ca is my go-to Oilers discussion place. Pretty good community over there.

https://lowetide.ca/2019/05/06/a-time-to-reap-a-time-to-sow-2/#comments

5 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Depends on if he runs the team like Holland Jr. If he's willing to cut bait on vets, doesn't give out NTCs like candy on Halloween, and doesn't think that tenure=good player, I'll be fine with him.  His time in TB showed that he's willing to move on from players and doesn't give into player demands just because trading a guy would be hard.

Check out TB's contracts on capfriendly, just as many NTC/NMC's as Holland.

3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Probable root cause was snorting too much blow outta hookers a$$ cracks...At least that would be my demise if I were a billionaire.

That would just give u e coli poisoning.

26 minutes ago, kliq said:

Drinking Holland Haterade makes u blind.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

59 minutes ago, kliq said:

True dude, but Tampa NTC/NMC were for the star players mostly and not the Darren Helms, Abdelkader’s, Daley’s, Vaneks.

Callahan used to be a good player until he wasn’t anymore. But Abdelkader, Helm, Vanek, Daley shouldn’t have been locked down by any means.

But also they signed Kucherov to a multi year extension without restrictions if I’m not mistaken? That’s huge and Yzerman def gets praise for that.

Edited by kickazz

2 hours ago, kickazz said:

True dude, but Tampa NTC/NMC were for the star players mostly and not the Darren Helms, Abdelkader’s, Daley’s, Vaneks.

Callahan used to be a good player until he wasn’t anymore. But Abdelkader, Helm, Vanek, Daley shouldn’t have been locked down by any means.

But also they signed Kucherov to a multi year extension without restrictions if I’m not mistaken? That’s huge and Yzerman def gets praise for that.

For the record, the point of my post is not to bash Yzerman, HUGE props for what he did in TB. It was to show Dickie that what Holland did was not unheard of, and Yzerman does it to. 

I still stand by my point, Sure Stamkos, Hedman, and McDonagh are stars, but non star players that have NMC/NTC's given out by Yzerman include Palat, Johnson, Callahan, Killorn, Stralman, Coburn, and Girardi. Maybe outside of the first couple, far from star players. 

1 hour ago, kliq said:

For the record, the point of my post is not to bash Yzerman, HUGE props for what he did in TB. It was to show Dickie that what Holland did was not unheard of, and Yzerman does it to. 

I still stand by my point, Sure Stamkos, Hedman, and McDonagh are stars, but non star players that have NMC/NTC's given out by Yzerman include Palat, Johnson, Callahan, Killorn, Stralman, Coburn, and Girardi. Maybe outside of the first couple, far from star players. 

Fair enough. I do think that in Yzermans case he had a cup contender and he was trying to lock up a very strong team, in Holland case the team was mediocre and regressing. Personally I wasn’t a fan of our guys getting those NMC/NTC while us not being that great. 

I do think Holland always did a great job of signing his RFAs. The Larkin deal was one of the best made last year. But some of his signings from 2014-2016 were head scratching. 

Edited by kickazz

35 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Fair enough. I do think that in Yzermans case he had a cup contender and he was trying to lock up a very strong team, in Holland case the team was mediocre and regressing. Personally I wasn’t a fan of our guys getting those NMC/NTC while us not being that great. 

I do think Holland always did a great job of signing his RFAs. The Larkin deal was one of the best made last year. But some of his signings from 2014-2016 were head scratching. 

I don’t disagree with anything here.

39 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

If Ryan Lambert was a regular member of LGWs, he'd be like the 2nd or 3rd dumbest person on here. That says a lot. 

On his best day he's an anti-Red Wing hack. One that could only have a job writing for Yahoo Sports. 

I mean, just look at this sentence

and it appears he only got this job because of his reputation, built on stuff he did 20 years ago

4 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

If Ryan Lambert was a regular member of LGWs, he'd be like the 2nd or 3rd dumbest person on here. That says a lot. 

On his best day he's an anti-Red Wing hack. One that could only have a job writing for Yahoo Sports. 

I mean, just look at this sentence

Ryan Lambert is the quintessential insufferable analytics hipster ******.

This is aging really well:

https://sports.yahoo.com/learned-dylan-larkin-got-much-140736328.html

I guess the question I have here is: “What’s the point?” Larkin is a “franchise player” in Detroit if only because they truly don’t have a better option and more to the point, if you think your “franchise player” is a winger who’s gonna score 50-something points every year, well, that’s not a very good franchise situation overall.

Not that anyone needed to be told Detroit was a mess, and not that this contract even pushes them into a worse situation. He’s a perfectly good player with room to grow, but if you’ve worked yourself into a corner where Larkin is a $6.1 million player for you, that says a lot more about the people who are still, inexplicably allowed to run this franchise.

Put another way: You don’t have to pay non-franchise players like they’re almost franchise players just because you don’t have anyone better than that. Unless you’re the Red Wings, I guess.

I especially like the part where he identifies Larkin as a winger. Not just a guy who's gonna score 50-something points every year, but a *winger* who's gonna score 50-something points every year. Outstanding work, Ryan. The keenest of insights.

I wish the Wings had Kyle Dubas at the helm. Dubas is A Smart Hockey Guy who makes Smart Hockey Decisions. That's why his team keeps going on deep playoff runs. That's why his team's cap situation is so good right now. It's just one brilliant move after another in Tronna. The Matthews contract is a work of art. The Nylander contract is a stroke of genius. The Marleau contract is poetry. Thinking Nylander and Marner will settle for hometown discounts "because winning" is *chef kiss*. Giving Tavares All The Moneys For All The Years is downright visionary. Going into the playoffs with a top four of Rielly, Rielly, Rielly, Rielly shows Dubas understands the game on a deep level. The man is living proof that the future is young nerds and the future is now.

Hell, I'd settle for John Chayka. He's young and he might've said something positive about stats or something at some point in time, so this is a man who commands respect. Playoffs? Yotes be all up in that. Domi trade? Eh, he needed a change of scenery. Strome? Eh, he needed a change of scenery. Reaching for Barrett Hayton? Good thing Chayka's not an old guy or else I'd have to call it an ill-advised reach born of "Some old guy thinking he's smarter than he really is."

Tampa Bay? Cap hell? What cap hell? Steve Yzerman is the best in the business, because Narrative.

Lolbert.jpg

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Ryan Lambert is the quintessential insufferable analytics hipster ******.

This is aging really well:

https://sports.yahoo.com/learned-dylan-larkin-got-much-140736328.html

I guess the question I have here is: “What’s the point?” Larkin is a “franchise player” in Detroit if only because they truly don’t have a better option and more to the point, if you think your “franchise player” is a winger who’s gonna score 50-something points every year, well, that’s not a very good franchise situation overall.

Not that anyone needed to be told Detroit was a mess, and not that this contract even pushes them into a worse situation. He’s a perfectly good player with room to grow, but if you’ve worked yourself into a corner where Larkin is a $6.1 million player for you, that says a lot more about the people who are still, inexplicably allowed to run this franchise.

Put another way: You don’t have to pay non-franchise players like they’re almost franchise players just because you don’t have anyone better than that. Unless you’re the Red Wings, I guess.

I especially like the part where he identifies Larkin as a winger. Not just a guy who's gonna score 50-something points every year, but a *winger* who's gonna score 50-something points every year. Outstanding work, Ryan. The keenest of insights.

I wish the Wings had Kyle Dubas at the helm. Dubas is A Smart Hockey Guy who makes Smart Hockey Decisions. That's why his team keeps going on deep playoff runs. That's why his team's cap situation is so good right now. It's just one brilliant move after another in Tronna. The Matthews contract is a work of art. The Nylander contract is a stroke of genius. The Marleau contract is poetry. Thinking Nylander and Marner will settle for hometown discounts "because winning" is *chef kiss*. Giving Tavares All The Moneys For All The Years is downright visionary. Going into the playoffs with a top four of Rielly, Rielly, Rielly, Rielly shows Dubas understands the game on a deep level. The man is living proof that the future is young nerds and the future is now.

Hell, I'd settle for John Chayka. He's young and he might've said something positive about stats or something at some point in time, so this is a man who commands respect. Playoffs? Yotes be all up in that. Domi trade? Eh, he needed a change of scenery. Strome? Eh, he needed a change of scenery. Reaching for Barrett Hayton? Good thing Chayka's not an old guy or else I'd have to call it an ill-advised reach born of "Some old guy thinking he's smarter than he really is."

Tampa Bay? Cap hell? What cap hell? Steve Yzerman is the best in the business, because Narrative.

Lolbert.jpg

How about the part where he said Marchand was in decline :lol:

Larkin apparently also scores significantly less than ehlers... wow that's some good reading