• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

kipwinger

Signed: Finnish Defenseman Oliwer Kaski

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Red Wings signed 23 year old, Finnish, defenseman Oliwer Kaski to a 1 year ELC today.  Kaski was 2nd in the Liiga in defensive scoring this season and had previously played at Western Michigan for two years so he's familiar with North American hockey.  Oh, and he's a right shot for the dopes who over value that particular characteristic.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/05/13/detroit-red-wings-oliwer-kaski/1191355001/

 

And his highlights package:

https://youtu.be/OKbOJyjwwTM

Edited by kipwinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Red Wings signed 23 year old, Finnish, defenseman Oliwer Kaski to a 1 year ELC today.  Kaski was 2nd in the Liiga in defensive scoring this season and had previously played at Western Michigan for two years so he's familiar with North American hockey.  Oh, and he's a right shot for the dopes who over value that particular characteristic.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/05/13/detroit-red-wings-oliwer-kaski/1191355001/

 

And his highlights package:

https://youtu.be/OKbOJyjwwTM

Where'd you see this? When I looked at Eliteprospects it said he was first, but maybe they're not updated yet. 

Either way cool news, no reason not to like this signing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Where'd you see this? When I looked at Eliteprospects it said he was first, but maybe they're not updated yet. 

Either way cool news, no reason not to like this signing. 

I got a couple things wrong in the OP.  He was 1st in the Liiga in defense scoring, AND he hasn't officially signed yet. Won't sign until after the World Championships where he's got 1 assist in 3 games for Finland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Red Wings signed 23 year old, Finnish, defenseman Oliwer Kaski to a 1 year ELC today.  Kaski was 2nd in the Liiga in defensive scoring this season and had previously played at Western Michigan for two years so he's familiar with North American hockey.  Oh, and he's a right shot for the dopes who over value that particular characteristic.

I wouldn't say anyone necessarily "over values right shot defensemen". Some people just value balance more than others. With Green, Bowey and Hronek on the team, and Lindstrom on the way, I don't think right shot defensemen are as big of a need as it has been in the past. Kaski is a welcomed addition, but I don't care so much about handedness on the back end right now, as it's already fairly balanced. For me (and others), the bigger need is right shot forwards. Not having a single high end right shot forward on the team or in the entire system is a problem.

Either way, good signing, when it eventually happens. Reportedly going to be a one year contract, which I was kind of surprised about. My expectations are low, but if he can become a player, great for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Either way, good signing, when it eventually happens. Reportedly going to be a one year contract, which I was kind of surprised about. My expectations are low, but if he can become a player, great for us. 

I think I read somewhere it can only be 1 year due to his age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Thanks! First I've heard of that. Do you have a link / source?

It was Ansar Khan and some dope on Hockeybuzz...but here it is on mlive:

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2019/05/red-wings-have-good-chance-to-sign-finnish-d-man-oliwer-kaski.html

"Due to his age (23), Kaski can sign only a one-year, two-way entry-level contract."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wings3:16 said:

It was Ansar Khan and some dope on Hockeybuzz...but here it is on mlive:

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2019/05/red-wings-have-good-chance-to-sign-finnish-d-man-oliwer-kaski.html

"Due to his age (23), Kaski can sign only a one-year, two-way entry-level contract."

Kind of odd, considering we signed Sulak to a two-year, two-way entry level contract, two years ago at the same age (23). He was also an undrafted defenseman coming from the Finnish Elite League (Liiga). Either way, one year, two years, makes no difference. He'll likely play in Grand Rapids regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Kind of odd, considering we signed Sulak to a two-year, two-way entry level contract, two years ago at the same age (23). He was also an undrafted defenseman coming from the Finnish Elite League (Liiga). Either way, one year, two years, makes no difference. He'll likely play in Grand Rapids regardless.

Different rules for righties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Red Wings signed 23 year old, Finnish, defenseman Oliwer Kaski to a 1 year ELC today.  Kaski was 2nd in the Liiga in defensive scoring this season and had previously played at Western Michigan for two years so he's familiar with North American hockey.  Oh, and he's a right shot for the dopes who over value that particular characteristic.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/05/13/detroit-red-wings-oliwer-kaski/1191355001/

 

And his highlights package:

https://youtu.be/OKbOJyjwwTM

This Highlight reel (and most in general) of young players are awesome.  Two minutes of them high fiving their teammates, replaying every highlight three times...each time in even slower motion.  I need one of these!!  Me making a sweet transfer of leaves into the yard bag, me loading the dishwasher with supreme efficiency, pulling up close enough to the drive through ATM machine so I don't have to "superman" out of the window, etc.  I could easily fill a....3 minute :(highlight reel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

This Highlight reel (and most in general) of young players are awesome.  Two minutes of them high fiving their teammates, replaying every highlight three times...each time in even slower motion.  I need one of these!!  Me making a sweet transfer of leaves into the yard bag, me loading the dishwasher with supreme efficiency, pulling up close enough to the drive through ATM machine so I don't have to "superman" out of the window, etc.  I could easily fill a....3 minute :(highlight reel.

Ha ha ha.  Don't forget you fishtailing the shopping cart perfectly at the transition between aisle 6 and aisle 7 at Meiers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

This Highlight reel (and most in general) of young players are awesome.  Two minutes of them high fiving their teammates, replaying every highlight three times...each time in even slower motion.  I need one of these!!  Me making a sweet transfer of leaves into the yard bag, me loading the dishwasher with supreme efficiency, pulling up close enough to the drive through ATM machine so I don't have to "superman" out of the window, etc.  I could easily fill a....3 minute :(highlight reel.

 

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Ha ha ha.  Don't forget you fishtailing the shopping cart perfectly at the transition between aisle 6 and aisle 7 at Meiers. 

Me mowing the lawn at 6 AM and none of the neighbors wake up, picking the right setting on the microwave for my bacon cheeseburger, asking the wife permission to go to the local sports bar and she says yes, listening to the same classic rock for the billionth time but still enjoying it.

I have a separate touchdown dance for each one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now