• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kipwinger

Signed: Finnish Defenseman Oliwer Kaski

Rate this topic

Red Wings signed 23 year old, Finnish, defenseman Oliwer Kaski to a 1 year ELC today.  Kaski was 2nd in the Liiga in defensive scoring this season and had previously played at Western Michigan for two years so he's familiar with North American hockey.  Oh, and he's a right shot for the dopes who over value that particular characteristic.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/05/13/detroit-red-wings-oliwer-kaski/1191355001/

And his highlights package:

https://youtu.be/OKbOJyjwwTM

Edited by kipwinger

50 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Red Wings signed 23 year old, Finnish, defenseman Oliwer Kaski to a 1 year ELC today.  Kaski was 2nd in the Liiga in defensive scoring this season and had previously played at Western Michigan for two years so he's familiar with North American hockey.  Oh, and he's a right shot for the dopes who over value that particular characteristic.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/05/13/detroit-red-wings-oliwer-kaski/1191355001/

Where'd you see this? When I looked at Eliteprospects it said he was first, but maybe they're not updated yet. 

Either way cool news, no reason not to like this signing. 

1 minute ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Where'd you see this? When I looked at Eliteprospects it said he was first, but maybe they're not updated yet. 

Either way cool news, no reason not to like this signing. 

I got a couple things wrong in the OP.  He was 1st in the Liiga in defense scoring, AND he hasn't officially signed yet. Won't sign until after the World Championships where he's got 1 assist in 3 games for Finland.

6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I wouldn't say anyone necessarily "over values right shot defensemen". Some people just value balance more than others. With Green, Bowey and Hronek on the team, and Lindstrom on the way, I don't think right shot defensemen are as big of a need as it has been in the past. Kaski is a welcomed addition, but I don't care so much about handedness on the back end right now, as it's already fairly balanced. For me (and others), the bigger need is right shot forwards. Not having a single high end right shot forward on the team or in the entire system is a problem.

Either way, good signing, when it eventually happens. Reportedly going to be a one year contract, which I was kind of surprised about. My expectations are low, but if he can become a player, great for us. 

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Either way, good signing, when it eventually happens. Reportedly going to be a one year contract, which I was kind of surprised about. My expectations are low, but if he can become a player, great for us. 

I think I read somewhere it can only be 1 year due to his age.

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Thanks! First I've heard of that. Do you have a link / source?

It was Ansar Khan and some dope on Hockeybuzz...but here it is on mlive:

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2019/05/red-wings-have-good-chance-to-sign-finnish-d-man-oliwer-kaski.html

"Due to his age (23), Kaski can sign only a one-year, two-way entry-level contract."

4 minutes ago, Wings3:16 said:

It was Ansar Khan and some dope on Hockeybuzz...but here it is on mlive:

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2019/05/red-wings-have-good-chance-to-sign-finnish-d-man-oliwer-kaski.html

"Due to his age (23), Kaski can sign only a one-year, two-way entry-level contract."

Kind of odd, considering we signed Sulak to a two-year, two-way entry level contract, two years ago at the same age (23). He was also an undrafted defenseman coming from the Finnish Elite League (Liiga). Either way, one year, two years, makes no difference. He'll likely play in Grand Rapids regardless.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Kind of odd, considering we signed Sulak to a two-year, two-way entry level contract, two years ago at the same age (23). He was also an undrafted defenseman coming from the Finnish Elite League (Liiga). Either way, one year, two years, makes no difference. He'll likely play in Grand Rapids regardless.

Different rules for righties.

10 hours ago, kipwinger said:

This Highlight reel (and most in general) of young players are awesome.  Two minutes of them high fiving their teammates, replaying every highlight three times...each time in even slower motion.  I need one of these!!  Me making a sweet transfer of leaves into the yard bag, me loading the dishwasher with supreme efficiency, pulling up close enough to the drive through ATM machine so I don't have to "superman" out of the window, etc.  I could easily fill a....3 minute :(highlight reel.

6 minutes ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

This Highlight reel (and most in general) of young players are awesome.  Two minutes of them high fiving their teammates, replaying every highlight three times...each time in even slower motion.  I need one of these!!  Me making a sweet transfer of leaves into the yard bag, me loading the dishwasher with supreme efficiency, pulling up close enough to the drive through ATM machine so I don't have to "superman" out of the window, etc.  I could easily fill a....3 minute :(highlight reel.

Ha ha ha.  Don't forget you fishtailing the shopping cart perfectly at the transition between aisle 6 and aisle 7 at Meiers. 

1 hour ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Ha ha ha.  Don't forget you fishtailing the shopping cart perfectly at the transition between aisle 6 and aisle 7 at Meiers. 

Me mowing the lawn at 6 AM and none of the neighbors wake up, picking the right setting on the microwave for my bacon cheeseburger, asking the wife permission to go to the local sports bar and she says yes, listening to the same classic rock for the billionth time but still enjoying it.

I have a separate touchdown dance for each one.

7 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Man. If he really moves that slow, than this was a bad signing.

Jokes aside, I'm excited for this project player more than any others of recent past (Sulak, Machovsky, Rybar) he's basically a forward who plays D. Not gonna stop too many goals, but his bombs are heavy and his dangles are greasy. Likes to carry the puck out of his own zone too.

42 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Jokes aside, I'm excited for this project player more than any others of recent past (Sulak, Machovsky, Rybar) he's basically a forward who plays D. Not gonna stop too many goals, but his bombs are heavy and his dangles are greasy. Likes to carry the puck out of his own zone too.

I agree, but this is exactly why I'd love to see them switch him 'back' to forward. He's a recently converted defenseman and I think he would be better suited as a winger. Play him on the wing in Grand Rapids and if he excels, great. If not, oh well. I think that would be his best chance of becoming an NHL player. I just don't see him hacking it as an NHL defenseman...

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree, but this is exactly why I'd love to see them switch him 'back' to forward. He's a recently converted defenseman and I think he would be better suited as a winger. Play him on the wing in Grand Rapids and if he excels, great. If not, oh well. I think that would be his best chance of becoming an NHL player. I just don't see him hacking it as an NHL defenseman...

Forward full time, Point on the PP. Bounce rubber off ur center Rasmussen a few times a game.

Assuming he stays at D, I think he'd just have to be paired with a solid stay at home D like Ericsson, McIlrath, etc. They stay in front of the net while he runs wild in both zones retrieving pucks and play-making, IDK