• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonas Mahonas

Collapse?

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

Kinda dumb piece.  It's like documenting the collapse of your washing machine.  So great at first, but WHAT!!!!....after 20 years it breaks????!  Preposterous!!!   Moving on.

And like a washing machine, people would praise the manufacturer for it lasting so long. Only haters of that particular brand would poo poo on it.

“Collapse” may be an oversimplification, but the suggestion that more could’ve been done to prevent things from getting so bad is not off the mark. Holland did in fact make a lot of bad moves over the last ten years and failed to react in a timely manner far too often. I’m not saying that a decline of some sort isn’t inevitable at some point, but Holland did plenty to usher the process along after 2009.

What I don’t recall though was the part about Illitch wanting Yzerman to take over as GM before he went to Tampa and Holland blocking it. Was that in the news way back when or did it come out recently, or is it speculation?

1 hour ago, gcom007 said:

“Collapse” may be an oversimplification, but the suggestion that more could’ve been done to prevent things from getting so bad is not off the mark. Holland did in fact make a lot of bad moves over the last ten years and failed to react in a timely manner far too often. I’m not saying that a decline of some sort isn’t inevitable at some point, but Holland did plenty to usher the process along after 2009.

What I don’t recall though was the part about Illitch wanting Yzerman to take over as GM before he went to Tampa and Holland blocking it. Was that in the news way back when or did it come out recently, or is it speculation?

It was not said publicly, but widely rumored.  The Ilitches had a new arena in the works and Holland wasn't getting the team to where the business side of things were adding up.  They gave Kenny a golden handshake, and he wanted another one.

2 hours ago, gcom007 said:

Maybe.  As said by Jonas I don't remember hearing anything at all publicly about this.  IMO-Hard to think that Holland could have blocked anything from the owner of the team and a guy as hands-on as Illitch.  What leverage would Holland have and why would Illitch even need his approval to do what we wanted to do?

52 minutes ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

Maybe.  As said by Jonas I don't remember hearing anything at all publicly about this.  IMO-Hard to think that Holland could have blocked anything from the owner of the team and a guy as hands-on as Illitch.  What leverage would Holland have and why would Illitch even need his approval to do what we wanted to do?

Exactly. The Illitch's essentially chose Holland the first time around. 9 years later they changed their mind.

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Holland should write a book titled "What Happened?"

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

No. It would be called "Kicking Tires in the Motor City"

A sleepy Kenneth Holland wakes up to a small piece of parchment being slid under the crawlspace door of his bedroom beneath the Illitch family stairs. It's a letter!

Dear Kenneth Holland,

You have hereby been accepted into the Little Ceasar's Pizza School of Managing Generally

Ken packs what few belongings he has and heads to platform 9 3/4 to board the people mover headed to the Joe Louis

On the people mover he meets and makes two lifelong friends; Jim Devellano and Hakan Andersson. Jim is his best mate, he comes from a long line of general managers and has a big general managing family. Hakan is a mudblood, meaning his parents were Swedes and didn't have general manager powers. But Hakan is the smartest student Ken knows, and his knowledge always helps out in a pinch.

The three get into some crazy adventures and learn a lot along the way. Defense against bad contracts. Line-mixing. Tire kicking. They even ride around on hockey sticks in a popular managing sport called hockey and win a few house cups.

Then He-who-shall-not-be-named comes back, and he's after Ken. It takes everything the trio learned from their lessons and their head master Mike Illitch, but they are finally able to banish He-who-shall-not-be-named to Tampa Bay... leaving him with a telltale thunderbolt scar

But Lord Yzerman isn't fully dead.

He sacrifices Vinny LeCavalier and Martin St. Louis, and drinks their stanley cup unicorn blood to regain his mortal form. Then he begins assembling an army, a dark army. This time he's after Ken again, and he intends to finish the job...

Find out what happens next in my new book: Kenneth Holland and The Prisoner of Edmonton

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

A sleepy Kenneth Holland wakes up to a small piece of parchment being slid under the crawlspace door of his bedroom beneath the Illitch family stairs. It's a letter!

Dear Kenneth Holland,

You have hereby been accepted into the Little Ceasar's Pizza School of Managing Generally

Ken packs what few belongings he has and heads to platform 9 3/4 to board the people mover headed to the Joe Louis

On the people mover he meets and makes two lifelong friends; Jim Devellano and Hakan Andersson. Jim is his best mate, he comes from a long line of general managers and has a big general managing family. Hakan is a mudblood, meaning his parents were Swedes and didn't have general manager powers. But Hakan is the smartest student Ken knows, and his knowledge always helps out in a pinch.

The three get into some crazy adventures and learn a lot along the way. Defense against bad contracts. Line-mixing. Tire kicking. They even ride around on hockey sticks in a popular managing sport called hockey and win a few house cups.

Then He-who-shall-not-be-named comes back, and he's after Ken. It takes everything the trio learned from their lessons and their head master Mike Illitch, but they are finally able to banish He-who-shall-not-be-named to Tampa Bay... leaving him with a telltale thunderbolt scar

But Lord Yzerman isn't fully dead.

He sacrifices Vinny LeCavalier and Martin St. Louis, and drinks their stanley cup unicorn blood to regain his mortal form. Then he begins assembling an army, a dark army. This time he's after Ken again, and he intends to finish the job...

Find out what happens next in my new book: Kenneth Holland and The Prisoner of Edmonton

There's a lot of drugs in Seattle, isn't there?  

I don't think there's anyone to blame, we weren't going to win forever. Think of the franchise players we lost the last 10+ years, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg. Then you include the secondary players we lost, Holmstrom, Draper, Maltby, Osgood, etc.. Players like them come along once every 25 years, and very tough to replace, especially the draft position we had while we were winning.

If it wasn't for Datsyuk and Zetterberg turning into the players they were, the "collapse" would have happened by 2005-06. We kind of lucked out with them. Nyquist and Tatar were the next guys, but they didn't work out.

1 hour ago, Barrie said:

I don't think there's anyone to blame, we weren't going to win forever. Think of the franchise players we lost the last 10+ years, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg. Then you include the secondary players we lost, Holmstrom, Draper, Maltby, Osgood, etc.. Players like them come along once every 25 years, and very tough to replace, especially the draft position we had while we were winning.

If it wasn't for Datsyuk and Zetterberg turning into the players they were, the "collapse" would have happened by 2005-06. We kind of lucked out with them. Nyquist and Tatar were the next guys, but they didn't work out.

Agreed with everything, except when it comes to the bold as I dont think that they didnt work out, I just think Wings fans put expectations on them that were likely unrealistic as they were looking for Euro Twins 2.0.

15 hours ago, Barrie said:

Good post