• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
arag

History of Ice Hockey

Rate this topic

I am in Vienna, Austria and was at the museum today. I came across this 1565 painting by the famous Dutch painter Pieter Bruegel called “Hunters in the Snow”. Unless someone can find earlier evidence of ice hockey Dutch can claim ice hockey! Here is the evidence.

F38F25FE-F5DD-4955-ABAC-6D5BFDF501AB.jpeg

3D1B5C63-8E35-49FD-B19D-8FF2C907C732.jpeg

68BB0493-CF6B-4F4B-B85D-FCD99316CA86.jpeg

Edited by arag
Spelling

Yes, there's several such paintings in European art.  There's no nets in the pictures, though, which leads me to believe they were just taking curved sticks and hitting rocks with them on the ice.  Not organized hockey.    

Certainly a very early depiction, however, there have been similar stick-and-ball, field hockey style games dating back to BC times. I'm sure there have been precursor versions on ice for near that long. 

Makes sense, I believe Yzerman is a dutch name

On 6/9/2019 at 7:09 AM, arag said:

I am in Vienna, Austria and was at the museum today. I came across this 1565 painting by the famous Dutch painter Pieter Bruegel called “Hunters in the Snow”. Unless someone can find earlier evidence of ice hockey Dutch can claim ice hockey! Here is the evidence.

Will be there in August. Lemme know which restaurant has the best Schnitzel.

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Makes sense, I believe Yzerman is a dutch name

Will be there in August. Lemme know which restaurant has the best Schnitzel.

The best Wiener Schnitzel I have had was right next to my hotel not too far from the city center. Place called Zum Hagenthaler. They make it per order and it’s pretty good. Lots of locals go there. Here is another work of art.

D632FE20-D5F2-4262-A034-78C808C21915.jpeg

Edited by arag
Spelling

3 hours ago, arag said:

The best Wiener Schnitzel I have had was right next to my hotel not too far from the city center. Place called Zum Hagenthaler. They make it per order and it’s pretty good. Lots of locals go there. Here is another work of art.

D632FE20-D5F2-4262-A034-78C808C21915.jpeg

Everywhere you go, they never give you enough lemons

Do you think that NBA or NFL guys are just as happy when they win championships as NHL guys are, or do you think their elation is slightly diminished by the fact that their trophy looks childish? Like, this could just as easily be a picture of Jeremy Lin after winning a Gus Macker 3 on 3 with his mom and kid brother and nobody would really know the difference.

image.png.07b2015e74fb33b0e2a65719380e02f0.png