• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonas Mahonas

2020 Tank

Rate this topic

Ok, so that we ensure a Lafreniere selection a year from now, we need to get a few things straight:

Not too much hype from Dabura.

Blashill continues to juggle line combos that are clicking.

Mackel's hate level stays high.

Yzerman hires KRS as interim GM so no deals are made.

The Wings adopt "Salvation" by the Cranberries as their theme song.

Anything else?

Just like I had posted last season...I want the guys to play hard, and to succeed...There’ll be some stretches of bad hockey as this team continues to build from within, and I’m perfectly fine with that...What I don’t wanna see is the acceptance of losing just for the sake of ‘improving’ the chance of winning the draft lottery.

the last few drafts have shown it's more rewarding to finish 10-14.  No other league rewards a team for barely missing the playoffs and 4 years away from winning 3 out of 6 Cups, with a 3rd overall pick.  Lottery system broken. Not even to mention Jersey and Edmonton with their #1 overall's in recent years.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

the last few drafts have shown it's more rewarding to finish 10-14.  No other league rewards a team for barely missing the playoffs and 4 years away from winning 3 out of 6 Cups, with a 3rd overall pick.  Lottery system broken. Not even to mention Jersey and Edmonton with their #1 overall's in recent years.

You just gave me shivers thinking about the possibility of McDavid-Lafrenire-Draisail center trio... 

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Funny how the Larger markets ended up top 3 and then #5.  Surprised Bettman didnt force Colorado to give Boston their pick.

With Arizona getting new ownership dedicated to growing the franchise, Bettman will give them the 2020 1st overall. So we better starting looking at 3-9, because Detroit will never "win" the draft lottery.  We cannot even stay were we finish,we always drop!  If we stayed at 4, then there would be no issue in getting the guy we want.  Lottery broken...possibly fixed.

To win the lotto, we need to finish just right.. Which is probably not last. I'm going to say 7th best odds wins it this year, based on absolutely nothing. We need a slight improvement so that other teams can whine that the lotto is fixed for the struggling original six team. 

16 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Ok, so that we ensure a Lafreniere selection a year from now, we need to get a few things straight:

Not too much hype from Dabura.

Blashill continues to juggle line combos that are clicking.

Mackel's hate level stays high.

Yzerman hires KRS as interim GM so no deals are made.

The Wings adopt "Salvation" by the Cranberries as their theme song.

Anything else?

Sure. Make AA your #1 center and draft Broberg. 

7 hours ago, amato said:

To win the lotto, we need to finish just right.. Which is probably not last. I'm going to say 7th best odds wins it this year, based on absolutely nothing. We need a slight improvement so that other teams can whine that the lotto is fixed for the struggling original six team. 

Recent history tells me the team that finishes 31st WILL pick 1st overall next year.  It seems be he happening every even numbered year, and every odd numbered year, they pick 4th.

19 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Lafreniere is a winger.

Pretty sure while Draisaitl is listed as a C, he pretty much plays LW on McDavid's line.

I can't imagine the Wings being worse next year though then they were this season...the young guys should be getting a bit better, so not sure they'll get closer to a lottery pick.  That said, they were very, very close to the bottom this past year and it was only near the end of the season they moved up some spots.

3 hours ago, TLGTrico said:

Recent history tells me the team that finishes 31st WILL pick 1st overall next year.  It seems be he happening every even numbered year, and every odd numbered year, they pick 4th.

Ouh it'll be interesting to see if that pattern continues. Probably won't be us then.. I don't think we're the worst team in the league. 

Brian Burke hates this lotto format and I totally agree with him.   He feels the bottom 5 should be in the lotto.

I'd even rather bottom 5, random draw... ie. even odds in the bottom 5.  It would make tanking pointless.  But that 5th/6th last race would be must see TV.

7 minutes ago, mackel said:

Brian Burke hates this lotto format and I totally agree with him.   He feels the bottom 5 should be in the lotto.

I'd even rather bottom 5, random draw... ie. even odds in the bottom 5.  It would make tanking pointless.  But that 5th/6th last race would be must see TV.

I'm fine with all non-playoff teams being involved, but winning the lottery shouldn't guarantee you a top 3 pick.  There should be a limit to the number of spots a team can move up.

12 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It should be points accumulated after mathematically eliminated.

Something needs to change.... we and I'm sure other BAD teams have been screwed by this system for years.  When your mathematically most probable draft position is 2 spots worst than where you finished and the 4th worst team that's brutal.

No, nothing needs to change.

Any system can be gamed (other than complete randomness), and no system is without flaws. The lottery system is pretty much as good as you can get. It fulfills the primary purpose of the draft which is to give the bad teams better talent, while also curtailing "tanking" by including an element of randomness. 

7 minutes ago, Buppy said:

No, nothing needs to change.

Any system can be gamed (other than complete randomness), and no system is without flaws. The lottery system is pretty much as good as you can get. It fulfills the primary purpose of the draft which is to give the bad teams better talent, while also curtailing "tanking" by including an element of randomness. 

There's no perfect system, but there are better ones, and in my opinion, the 'Gold Plan' is a better one...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

It should be points accumulated after mathematically eliminated.

Ya I don’t buy into that , what happens if a team gets eliminated 2 months prior and goes 4-22 (don’t know the exact number of games that might be played in 2 months just using some bs number ) and a team gets eliminated 10 days prior and goes 5-0 to finish ... just doesn’t sound right , I know your trying to automatically reward the worst team but when a team is god awful I don’t think they should be punished for not winning , that’s the sole reason they’re worst 

that being said I don’t know what would be the best system , maybe leave it as is but cut out teams 8 and above? If your 8th worst and beyond well too bad so sad your f***en stuck in that position and only teams 1-7 have a shot at 1-2-3 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

11 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Ya I don’t buy into that , what happens if a team gets eliminated 2 months prior and goes 4-22 (don’t know the exact number of games that might be played in 2 months just using some bs number ) and a team gets eliminated 10 days prior and goes 5-0 to finish ... just doesn’t sound right , I know your trying to automatically reward the worst team but when a team is god awful I don’t think they should be punished for not winning , that’s the sole reason they’re worst 

that being said I don’t know what would be the best system , maybe leave it as is but cut out teams 8 and above? If your 8th worst and beyond well too bad so sad your f***en stuck in that position and only teams 1-7 have a shot at 1-2-3 

I like something like this, simple. I'm not sure what the 'Gold Plan' kr was referring to is though, maybe it is better. 

21 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

There's no perfect system, but there are better ones, and in my opinion, the 'Gold Plan' is a better one...

If you consider encouraging potential bubble teams to cram a full season's worth of tanking into the first 65-70 or so games, and also encouraging the actual bad teams to combat that strategy by tanking even harder, while also making a system that is easier to manipulate due to the lower level of randomness and that also runs contrary to the general purpose of the draft itself "better", then, yes.

Oh brother.

Two years ago, everyone wanted us to tank for a pimpled punk from Sweden.  

Last year, everyone wanted to tank for a midget playing in some teenage U.S. league.  

Next year, everyone wants us to tank for some Frenchie.  

How about we actually try to make the playoffs like Carolina or the Islanders did out of nowhere?