Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

6/21 Choose Your Fighter GDT - 2019 NHL Entry Draft 1st Round - 8:00 PM EST

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'll add this to it :

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Not surprised Dmen are going way sooner than anyone realized

Probably the reason Yzerman pulled the trigger without trading up.

Sporting News RE: Seider... "If you watched the IIHF men's world championships, then you saw what the hype was about. This kid can skate, deliver the puck accurately and also play a physical, smothering brand of defense. His team in the Deutsche Eishockey Liga won the postseason crown, and Seider was a key contributor during their playoff run. He's ready for the NHL as we speak."

1 minute ago, amato said:

Sporting News RE: Seider... "If you watched the IIHF men's world championships, then you saw what the hype was about. This kid can skate, deliver the puck accurately and also play a physical, smothering brand of defense. His team in the Deutsche Eishockey Liga won the postseason crown, and Seider was a key contributor during their playoff run. He's ready for the NHL as we speak."

Could be ready now, plays like a vet, but as far as I've read he's expected to go back to Adler Mannheim to play their top pair next year. This year he finished as a 3/4 guy. Should be good to let him have one year as the go to guy in a lesser mens league.

He probably is. I have to add that in that clip above it was his first game at the National Mens Team and Germany was under intense pressure. This was a must win for us and the team didn't deliver. Until Seider scored that goal. He stood up when it was most needed.

Honestly, I really like the pick. I like it because I love the player, yes, but I also like it because Yzerman knows how important this pick is and you could argue he had every reason in the world not to select Seider if he wasn't fully 100% sure that he's His Guy. Passing on all those good forwards that were available, including Cozens -- who would seem to fit Yzerman's drafting history to a T -- means he's beyond sold on Seider. That, to me, is very exciting.

Seider's absolute ceiling is something like a Victor Hedman monster 1D. You know who has unique insight into Hedman himself and, one would assume, defense prospects in that general mold? Steve Yzerman. Steve Yzerman wants a Hedman and Wings fans have been wet-dreaming about finding a Red Wings version of Hedman for the better part of a decade.

No one had Chicago taking Dach, so the fact that E X P E R T S are questioning the pick means nothing to me. Though, if we're going to defer to E X P E R T S, Craig Button and some others had Seider going only a few spots after we took him. So I'm not sure you can even call it a true stretch pick. Maybe to E X P E R T S who didn't even consider the possibility that he could go as high as 6th, but many of the E X P E R T S live in their own self-constructed realities, which is why they get so many picks wrong every year. What we were (and weren't) hearing about Seider over the course of the past year doesn't really have any bearing on what our scouts and GM think of Seider.

Edited by Dabura

Just now, BringBack19 said:

Seider-Hronek will be a nice combo

Both right handed. But we have McIsaac and Cholo who are both LH

On 6/14/2019 at 7:17 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If you've been reading this thread, you know I like Seider.

He probably won't be going to us at 6 or inside the top 10 even, but whoever takes him at like 12, 15, or 20, I think will be getting the 2nd best Dman in the draft. He's a dark horse prospect IMO.

The knock on him is he is German and the DEL isn't the best league and doesn't produce many NHLers. So I think there's some pull back and hesitation on him there. If he was Swedish I personally think he would be in the discussion of the Top 10.

Other than that he doesn't really have any weaknesses other than being boring to watch at times (Dmen should be IMO unless they're a Karlsson type player)

I think he's the most NHL ready player other than Dylan Cozens. But will probably go back to Adler Mannheim next year to play on their top pairing.

This year he started as top 6 and finished as top 4, and was sheltered offensively by his coach, but German fans rave about his poise with the puck, vision, and hard shot from the point. He just hasn't been able to truly unleash any of that yet at the pro level. Not suggesting he will be a 50 pt Dman like Trouba, I think smart defense is more his wheel house, but a consistent 30 or even 40 pt Dman he could be.

I think at worst he's Danny Dekeyser. I think at best he's Ryan McDonagh.

2 minutes ago, amato said:

The shock needs to wear off. All the defense going right away makes me feel better about it too 

Nah.  I'm pretty sure I won't like this pick until Seider develops into a legit 1D

satisfied. I was a little disappointed with Cozens still there, also wondered why Yzerman didn't deal with Vancouver and pick Seider at 10. either Yzerman seriously felt he would be picked by 10 (maybe Holland) or Vancouver balked at paying Yzermans price to move up. Too bad for Vancouver because they didn't get their guy. Should've paid the price!

Anyhow, this kid is huge. he also says he has a couple of "outs" in his contract. could we see him in Detroit in October? Could this be the end of Ericsson and or Daley? Maybe Green is gonna go LTIR with his virus issue? How does this D look to continue a rebuild?

Cholowski - Hronek

Kaski - Seider 

Dekeyser - Bowey

Good bold call Stevie!

1 minute ago, BringBack19 said:

Seider-Hronek will be a nice combo

We've taken a gigantic step towards being able to rosterbate about a future Red Wings blue line without feeling like pipe-dreaming dinguses.

It sort of goes back to what I was talking about earlier re: Justin Faulk. If we take a forward at 6, I'm not really thinking about what our blue line could look like in a year or two with the addition of a guy like Faulk or Trouba or Gardiner or whatever. But all of a sudden we now have a high-end defense prospect who's arguably NHL-ready right now (though, he's almost certainly not making the jump this season) and who we can describe as a potential future 1D without sounding like delusional homers. We now have Seider, Hronek, Cholowski, McIsaac, Lindstrom. Put a high-profile UFA or two in the mix and we might finally have a legit defense corps.