• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

6/21 Choose Your Fighter GDT - 2019 NHL Entry Draft 1st Round - 8:00 PM EST

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, TLGTrico said:

Well, I'll say one thing.  I never thought that whoever we got today would become our top prospect immediately, because I'd put Zadina above anyone that would've been available at 6.

A lot about Zadina will depend on how hard he works this off-season and how he looks in the preseason. There's a chance he could be up come October.

22 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

So as much of a tire fire that the senators are, ole Lassi is a solid pick. I was hoping he would be available at 35.

does make me laugh a liiiiittle bit that the avs got the best offensive defenseman in the draft with the pick that the sens should have had :P but yeah, Lassi seems solid. 

17 minutes ago, amato said:

does make me laugh a liiiiittle bit that the avs got the best offensive defenseman in the draft with the pick that the sens should have had :P but yeah, Lassi seems solid. 

Yeah for sure. Plus they got Newhook. The avs are gonna be monsters in a few years.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:
  • Dman. Just turned 18. 6'4", 207 lbs. Shoots right.
  • Spent his draft year playing in a men's pro league at 17 years old. Finished the season playing top 4 minutes.
  • Won the league championship with that team (5 assists in 14 playoff games)
  • Captained the German world junior team at 17 in a tourney for 19 year olds, where they earned advancement to the main group next year (1 goal and 5 assists in 5 WJ games). Named the best Dman of the tournament.
  • Plays in all situations
  • No weaknesses, but lacks elite level skill
  • Praised for poise and veteran style play
  • Like Pietrangelo, big mobile and smart

Sign me up. I'm a Seider guy.

Could be argued Seider is the best dman in the draft not named Bowen Byram.

Very nice.

Initial reaction was complete and utter shock, but after giving it some thought and more research, I really like the pick.

In Yzerman We Trust.

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

KRS - see how Yzerman took the smooth skating Right Handed Defenseman in front of 10 BPAs to fill a 1B D need?  We needed a Right Handed winger too, but he filled the more important NEED.  I am shocked we didnt trade back to do this, but it just doesnt happen in the NHL as much as it does in other sports.

What are you talking about?

You actually believe that Yzerman and his staff believe that Zegras or Cozens or whoever are better players than Seider, but took him anyway? No chance. They took who they believed was best player available.

Regardless, very ballsy pick by Yzerman. He knows how pivotal this pick is for the Red Wings, and he knows that it would have been an unpopular pick based on all the mock drafts, but he trusted his gut, and took his guy. Mad respect. 

There are a lot of people upset with this pick, but I can't help but think how different everyone's reaction would have been if Holland made that pick... 

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Very nice.

Initial reaction was complete and utter shock, but after giving it some thought and more research, I really like the pick.

In Yzerman We Trust.

What are you talking about?

You actually believe that Yzerman and his staff believe that Zegras or Cozens or whoever are better players than Seider, but took him anyway? No chance. They took who they believed was best player available.

Regardless, very ballsy pick by Yzerman. He knows how pivotal this pick is for the Red Wings, and he knows that it would have been an unpopular pick based on all the mock drafts, but he trusted his gut, and took his guy. Mad respect. 

There are a lot of people upset with this pick, but I can't help but think how different everyone's reaction would have been if Holland made that pick... 

Holland would have been crucified for this pick.  Also, I believe Seider at 6 is equal to Arizona taking Barret Hayton at 5 last year.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-draft-red-wings-pick-moritz-seider-sixth-overall

https://thehockeywriters.com/moritz-seider-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Seider has had an incredible draft-eligible year. Playing with Adler Mannheim in the German top-ranked DEL, the right-handed rearguard scored two goals and six points. That total is the second-most ever by a U18 defender in the league. Despite a shoulder injury that sidelined him, he seemed to only get better as the season went on and into the playoffs. He helped Adler Mannheim to a DEL Championship title, collecting five assists in 14 games while finishing plus-six. He was also named Rookie of the Year.

Internationally, Seider stood out as well and raised his stock in every tournament. First playing in the 2019 U20 World Championship (D1A), the defenseman captained the German team and had a goal and seven points in six games, leading the team to a gold medal. He tied for second in the tournament for points and was named the Best Defenseman.

At the 2019 World Championship, Seider went in without much excitement. That was largely due to the fact that two other 2019 draft eligible prospects were also playing in the men’s tournament, Jack Hughes and Kappo Kakko. Being one of three draft-eligible prospects to play in the championship is impressive and Seider played well, scoring two goals and holding his own defensively.

Seider played a full season in a men’s league, and then looked comfortable at the World Championship. That’s experience that NHL should hold in high regard come draft day. Some scouts say that Seider may be a bit more raw in terms of skill right now compared to other prospects, but he has tremendous upside that will be hard to ignore.

He already has NHL size, he’s a great passer, a good skater, and can win battles along the boards. What might be most impressive is his defensive game. Seider seems to remain calm in all situations and make the right decision to get the puck out of his own end. Many defenders at this stage in their careers need to focus on their defending ability, and while there’s room to improve, the German prospect is starting at a very advanced stage.

Whether he’s the second defenseman taken at the draft or the seventh, Seider might be jumping to the NHL faster than most. He’s already got the experience against men, the recipe for winning and the skill to make the leap. He’ll likely play a season in junior (the OHL’s Owen Sound Attack hold his rights) or even in the AHL. He looks to be ahead of the curve for the development of a defenseman, and his selection on draft day should reflect that.

“At the IIHF U20 B pool … we saw the best of Seider. He was the best defenseman in the tournament as a double underage player. He’s got great athletic tools as a 6-foot-4 defenseman who skates well. He uses his feet to join attacks often and can make plays at speed. Seider’s main criticism from scouts is his lack of standout puck skill and that he won’t be a true power play guy in the NHL. With that said, he has decent touch and makes plays. He moves the puck well, showing great poise and instincts.  Defensively he’s a rock with his wingspan, feet and defensive acumen, and projects as a tough minutes player in the NHL. He is one of the best German prospects in recent memory.” – Corey Pronman, The Athletic (From: “Pronman’s 2019 NHL Draft Board: Top 107 prospects” – The Athletic – May 21, 2019).

Seider looks to be a very high-end talent in the draft. At this point in his young career, he looks like a top-two defenseman at the very least. He could even be that number one, defensive cornerstone that teams covet if he continues to take strides forward as he has.

https://wingsnation.com/2019/06/12/nhl-draft-prospect-profile-20-moritz-seider/

At heart, Seider is a committed two-way defender. He isn’t about abandoning his post to create offense. He does it cohesively and picks his spots very smartly.

One of the key attributes I misevaluated was his skating. The kid’s wheels are the real deal. A mobile 6’4” behemoth on skates is a scary sight. His puck skills are nothing special, but it really doesn’t matter — he can steamroll anyone in his path. Physicality wise he is just a beast, I mean, how many 207 lb players can move at a high level? Not many.

His skating is also a weapon on the defensive end of the ice. He is incredibly quick moving backwards, which makes for better gap control and staying with the fastest players on the other team.

As a whole defensively Seider is a monster. His positioning and gap control both get high marks. He has the strength to push players off the puck and win board battles, which was especially evident with him playing against men this past season. He has the makeup to be an absolute horse at the NHL level, in which I can reasonably see him being able to handle twenty-five minutes or more a night.

For me, I need to see some sort of offensive impact to justify taking defensemen whose main strong suit is defense in the first round. While not high-end, Seider can make plays offensively to give his skating a reason for existence. I like his hockey IQ to recognize his teammates with good vision, but he doesn’t have the creativity to make high skill plays. Like I said before, he picks his spots very well, so he is not typically in the position to rely on his puck skills.

I can tell you this would be one hell of a prospect to add to any pipeline. Seider has legitimate top pair upside in which he can be a minute-munching blue-liner who can also be used for match-ups. But the reason for why Seider lands in the mid first round is because of the type of impact he’ll bring. I feel strongly he’ll be a staple in any NHL top-pair because of his defensive prowess and skating ability, but he’ll be scoring more around 30 points a season instead of 50 plus. He won’t be your first option to run the powerplay either — he just isn’t dynamic enough. And that’s not to call him a safe pick — Seider can still bring a strong impact to both sides of the game.

I am very excited to see where Seider goes from here. He can certainly make the move to North America, with the NHL not being out of the question for the 2019-20 season. He is physically mature enough to step in and quick enough to handle the speed. But I prefer to be patient with my prospects. There is no harm in sending him to the AHL or even by returning to Germany for that matter. He is in a great spot and has a variety of options.

I think people are sleeping on his scoring upside.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/06/21/detroit-red-wings-moritz-seider-2019-nhl-draft/1524751001/

“Steve Yzerman wanted to know every single thing about me,” Seider said. “He wanted to know me as a person. He wanted to know everything about my parents, what they did for me. We decided to move to Mannheim so they quit their jobs and that was a huge commitment. It was a great meeting.

“It was the last meeting so I think that is going to be stuck in my memory for a long time. I think there was just a little percentage being drafted by Detroit.”

Seider’s parents quit their jobs as managers of an “old folks home,” he said, and relocated to Mannheim to nurture Seider’s development.

He’ll be at development camp next week with the Wings' recent draft picks.

“Mannheim and Detroit I think have a lot in common,” Seider said. “They are both worker cities. I’m really looking forward to being in Detroit.”