• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

6/21 Choose Your Fighter GDT - 2019 NHL Entry Draft 1st Round - 8:00 PM EST

Rate this topic

15 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Stick to your guns, I like it. They had their eyes on this kid and didn't want to let him go. Must have seen something special if they were willing to take him this high. From everything I've read about him, seems like he is a very safe pick and the lowest he projects is top 4 defensive defensemen with offensive potential. A shutdown guy who has top back skating speed and can keep up with the rush. Oh, and he rarely makes mistakes or lapses on defense. Oh, and he has a good first pass.

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

There are a lot of people upset with this pick, but I can't help but think how different everyone's reaction would have been if Holland made that pick... 

I genuinely wonder how Oil fans are feeling about Broberg. Taken high as well.

3 hours ago, TLGTrico said:

Holland would have been crucified for this pick.  Also, I believe Seider at 6 is equal to Arizona taking Barret Hayton at 5 last year.

Hayton actually did really well this year

6 hours ago, TLGTrico said:

Holland would have been crucified for this pick.  Also, I believe Seider at 6 is equal to Arizona taking Barret Hayton at 5 last year.

Holland absolutely would have been crucified. 100%

I also agree that this pick is equal to the Coyotes last year, in the sense that the shock factor is there. Hayton is proving to be a very good prospect though, and I doubt Chayka regrets that pick. I hope Yzerman doesn't regret this pick...

6 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

KRS wont eat his crow.

Eat crow for what? Do you actually believe that Yzerman thought any of the forwards were far and away the better player, but still picked Seider?

I know it's said in a draft to pick the best player available, but we're at a point now where we need to draft certain types of players. We have a lot of young forwards, so we need defencemen with size, and get a starting goalie soon. If Seider is the guy we wanted, I don't have a problem with it.

Edited by Barrie

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/06/22/moritz-seider-steve-yzerman-detroit-red-wings/1533076001/

“We think he has excellent hockey sense,” Yzerman said. “He’s a big kid, 6-foot-3, a real good skater. In our opinion, he was one of the top defensemen in the draft.

“I know our fans don’t know much about him, but if people come to development camp and see him move, Google him, watch him play a little bit, I think they will be pleasantly surprised.”

"I look at it, I wasn’t really going by position,” Yzerman said. “I think anyone we would have picked we’d have felt would fill a need based on where we’re at. But again, he’s a big, good-skating, smart d-man – that’s his potential. I think it’s a very valuable asset.

“I think he’s a good, solid two-way guy. He can play the power play, he can walk the line with his head up and get his shot through. I think he’ll play with your top players and play against your top players because he can move the puck. He’s not going to be Erik Karlsson weaving through traffic, but he can skate it and he can pass it. I think he’s going to be a player that can play in all situations.”

“When I first saw him, I was surprised,” Yzerman said. “You go see a young kid in Germany, I didn’t expect to see the hockey IQ that I saw. He handled it well in a men’s league against a good team. Played in the World Championship on a men’s team, against the Czechs, Slovaks, NHL players. Didn’t look out of place.”

I don't really like this pick but whatever.  It's done.  Sure hope he starts in the AHL next season though.  If one of the key attributes for drafting this guy is how much more NHL ready he is that everyone else then let's get him up and get him playing in the organization as fast as possible. 

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

was just catching up with the 1st round and I see that Tampa drafted Nolan Foote.  Brothers will get to play together, that's always cool.

Jon Cooper said he wanted to say something funny about needing two feet when interviewed after the pick on nbcsn :D

32 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I don't really like this pick but whatever.  It's done.  Sure hope he starts in the AHL next season though.  If one of the key attributes for drafting this guy is how much more NHL ready he is that everyone else then let's get him up and get him playing in the organization as fast as possible. 

I thought he had to be 20 to do that.  Does that only apply if they are coming from juniors?

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Holland absolutely would have been crucified. 100%

I also agree that this pick is equal to the Coyotes last year, in the sense that the shock factor is there. Hayton is proving to be a very good prospect though, and I doubt Chayka regrets that pick. I hope Yzerman doesn't regret this pick...

Eat crow for what? Do you actually believe that Yzerman thought any of the forwards were far and away the better player, but still picked Seider?

You were WRONG.  We clearly drafted for position.  Yzerman isnt going to say he passed up 3-4 players he felt were better players.  Give me a break.  But absolutely ZERO people in the world, including Mo Seider, thought he'd go before Zegras, Cozens, etc.  Most had him outside the top 15.  He was the top RH defenseman available.  Yzerman tried to get him at 10 or 11 by trading back, but offering this up only showed his cards.  The other teams knew they didnt need to give up anything, so they didnt.

4 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I thought he had to be 20 to do that.  Does that only apply if they are coming from juniors?

Yes. Players playing in European Leagues in their draft year have options to play anywhere from junior to pro.

He is eligible to play in DEL (Mannheim), OHL (Owen Sound), AHL (Grand Rapids), NHL (Detroit).

Same with Zadina last year, only because he was technically with Pardubice, on loan to Halifax.

1 minute ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

You were WRONG.  We clearly drafted for position.  Yzerman isnt going to say he passed up 3-4 players he felt were better players.  Give me a break.  But absolutely ZERO people in the world, including Mo Seider, thought he'd go before Zegras, Cozens, etc.  Most had him outside the top 15.  He was the top RH defenseman available.  Yzerman tried to get him at 10 or 11 by trading back, but offering this up only showed his cards.  The other teams knew they didnt need to give up anything, so they didnt.

Cool story bro...

I disagree. Yzerman took the player he felt was the best player available.

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes. Players playing in European Leagues in their draft year have options to play anywhere from junior to pro.

He is eligible to play in DEL (Mannheim), OHL (Owen Sound), AHL (Grand Rapids), NHL (Detroit).

Same with Zadina last year, only because he was technically with Pardubice, on loan to Halifax.

Cool.  It will be interesting to see if we chop Kronwall and Daley now to make room for the younglings.

13 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

after watching this, I get the feeling Yzerman will not be seeking any defense via trade or UFA in the next couple of years.  I have a feeling that he feels he has his top 4 core for the future in Cholowski, Hronek, McIsaac and now Seider.

as the Green's, Ericsson's and Daley's move out after this season, this players will be establishing themselves as his legit top 4.  Add to that Kaski and Bowey in the 5 and 6 spot, I guess within a year or 2, we'll have a D lineup that is set.

we still have the others he drafted along with the guys Holland picked last season and Lindstrom and Sarijaarvi.