• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

2020 Offseason Rebuild Thread

Rate this topic

15 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I am not a fan of creating a hole to fill another, especially when it comes to acquiring a player already in his prime and nearing 30.  I am perfectly fine with letting our "core" grow and learn to lose and win together, much like we did in the early 90's.  The ONE exception I would make (which I've mentioned a few times) but I know he is not available, I would trade from our "core" to acquire Werenski, within reason of course.  I honestly do not know why he hasn't sign yet.  They have over $15M in cap space, he should've been sign weeks ago.

Lefty making more sense than Buppy...

Gonna be a weird year huh?

23 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I am not a fan of creating a hole to fill another, especially when it comes to acquiring a player already in his prime and nearing 30.  I am perfectly fine with letting our "core" grow and learn to lose and win together, much like we did in the early 90's.  The ONE exception I would make (which I've mentioned a few times) but I know he is not available, I would trade from our "core" to acquire Werenski, within reason of course.  I honestly do not know why he hasn't sign yet.  They have over $15M in cap space, he should've been sign weeks ago.

Werenski hasn't signed because Marner hasn't signed.  All the RFAs are waiting for Marner's contract to dictate the market.  I follow the Blue Jackets guy who writes for the Athletic and he's pretty good. He said within the last couple of days that Werenski and the BJ's are having very amicable contract talks, and there's no reason to think he won't get signed.  He's just waiting on Marner like all the RFAs are. 

13 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Werenski hasn't signed because Marner hasn't signed.  All the RFAs are waiting for Marner's contract to dictate the market.  I follow the Blue Jackets guy who writes for the Athletic and he's pretty good. He said within the last couple of days that Werenski and the BJ's are having very amicable contract talks, and there's no reason to think he won't get signed.  He's just waiting on Marner like all the RFAs are. 

Makes sense.

20 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I can understand that, but what really doesn't make sense is they plat two different positions.  I am wondering why Marner (a forward) would dictate what Werenski (a D) makes? Also, Toronto will need to utilize LTIR to even sign Marner, so that won't happen until the season starts, right? Is Columbus going to wait until then as well?  I mean is everyone waiting for Marner? You have Werenski, Laine, Boeser, Tkachuk, Zacha and Point all of whom should have contracts by now.  I get it, nobody wants to get screwed, or screw the other by taking a lessor contract, but whichever side is dragging their feet, it has to be pissing off the other side!

Marner - Toronto has upwards of $13M in possible LTIR, should be no problem signing him when able.

Werenski - Columbus $15M in cap space, should be done already

Laine - Winnipeg $17M in cap space, both he and Conner should be done already.

Tkachuk - Calgary, $7M in space, again, this should already be done, he isn't getting $7M AAV

Zacha - New Jersey, $8M in space, see Tkachuk. This should be done

Boeser - Vancouver, $5M in cap. This is the only team of the mentioned ones, that may have a cap issue. But is $5M the going rate for an RFA coming off an ELC? He did have a 56 and 55 point seasons the last two, so maybe it is.

Point - Tampa has $9M in cap space, I can see him and Marner getting similar, but more than $9M? I guess maybe so, but wow! Lockout here we come!

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Lefty making more sense than Buppy...

Gonna be a weird year huh?

Nah, you two are just having a conflict of opinions ATM, once the season starts and gets near December, the universe will be aligned back to normal. :)

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Wonder how long it'll be before 'Marner is a spoiled brat' attitude comes around considering what the Leafs have offered him...

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Wonder how long it'll be before 'Marner is a spoiled brat' attitude comes around considering what the Leafs have offered him...

I mean, he's outscored Matthews the last 2 seasons, last season by 21 points. I know he's played about 40 more games though, but Toronto gave Matthews all that money, now they're going to have to pay even more for Marner. $10.75M is a ton of money over 7 years, I'm thinking Marner's camp wants Matthews money if not more...and if we're going by points I guess he deserves it.  Honestly I love it, I am SO not a fan of that franchise in the slightest bit.

28 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I can understand that, but what really doesn't make sense is they plat two different positions.  I am wondering why Marner (a forward) would dictate what Werenski (a D) makes? Also, Toronto will need to utilize LTIR to even sign Marner, so that won't happen until the season starts, right? Is Columbus going to wait until then as well?  I mean is everyone waiting for Marner? You have Werenski, Laine, Boeser, Tkachuk, Zacha and Point all of whom should have contracts by now.  I get it, nobody wants to get screwed, or screw the other by taking a lessor contract, but whichever side is dragging their feet, it has to be pissing off the other side!

Marner - Toronto has upwards of $13M in possible LTIR, should be no problem signing him when able.

Werenski - Columbus $15M in cap space, should be done already

Laine - Winnipeg $17M in cap space, both he and Conner should be done already.

Tkachuk - Calgary, $7M in space, again, this should already be done, he isn't getting $7M AAV

Zacha - New Jersey, $8M in space, see Tkachuk. This should be done

Boeser - Vancouver, $5M in cap. This is the only team of the mentioned ones, that may have a cap issue. But is $5M the going rate for an RFA coming off an ELC? He did have a 56 and 55 point seasons the last two, so maybe it is.

Point - Tampa has $9M in cap space, I can see him and Marner getting similar, but more than $9M? I guess maybe so, but wow! Lockout here we come!

Toronto is atm not able to sign Marner. Even with the $13M in LTIR they have only $10M left for him and I doubt that that is enough to sign him. My guess is that he is looking for at least Tavares money.

apart from that I agree with you that there is no sense making reason to not get them signed

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

He's the best player on that team and drives their offence much more so than Matthews he should get the same contract or better, certainly not less.

3 hours ago, ely s said:

Toronto is atm not able to sign Marner. Even with the $13M in LTIR they have only $10M left for him and I doubt that that is enough to sign him. My guess is that he is looking for at least Tavares money.

apart from that I agree with you that there is no sense making reason to not get them signed

That's 1 thing that confuses me...When the LTIR $$$ can be 'applied' to the payroll, and when a RFA can be signed to make the best use of that additional amount?

56 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

That's 1 thing that confuses me...When the LTIR $$$ can be 'applied' to the payroll, and when a RFA can be signed to make the best use of that additional amount?

if I understand it correctly, you can use the LTIR money right away, but are only allowed to be 10% over the upper limit, which must be $89.65M then, to start the season. So in Toronto´s case they can´t appy the full LTIR money at seasons start because hey have $13M but can only use $8.15M. That is one reason why they can´t sign Marner before the start of the season, another problem will be the fact that the $2.25M LTIR money for Hyman cannot really be counted because he is supposed to be back in October.

edit: assuming Marner would get an $11M contract

Edited by ely s

3 hours ago, ely s said:

if I understand it correctly, you can use the LTIR money right away, but are only allowed to be 10% over the upper limit, which must be $89.65M then, to start the season. So in Toronto´s case they can´t appy the full LTIR money at seasons start because hey have $13M but can only use $8.15M. That is one reason why they can´t sign Marner before the start of the season, another problem will be the fact that the $2.25M LTIR money for Hyman cannot really be counted because he is supposed to be back in October.

edit: assuming Marner would get an $11M contract

Gotcha - thanks for clearing it up.

:thumbup: