• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonas Mahonas

Lufty Signed - 3 Yr ELC

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm confused. On the one hand you say you don't think we need another Mantha/goal-scorer. But then you say our biggest need IS a goal scorer like Mantha... which is it?

Let me re-frame it this way: Say this is February 1st 2020. We're 1 or 2 in the division and are likely headed to the playoffs. What would you want to add at the deadline assuming everyone is having roughly the same season as last year statistically? Pretend Howard is having a 1.5 GAA, .95 SV% season or something.

When I said things like "we need a pure goal scorer like Mantha", I was referring to us needing to keep Mantha, instead of trading him for Ristolainen... We lack goal scoring. Trading our best goal scorer would make a bad situation worse.

Now all of a sudden you want to project rosters? We have no idea what our roster will look like in a year and a half. Therefore, I have no idea what our biggest need will be at that time.

All I've been saying is that we shouldn't trade our best scoring winger for a defenseman. The same way we shouldn't trade our best offensive defenseman for a forward. Stick to the plan and continue to rebuild. Honestly, I really like the potential of this team as is, in 2-3 years time. I think we have a solid core of forwards (Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Athanasiou, Zadina, Veleno, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, Berggren, etc.), some promising young defensemen (Seider, Hronek, Cholowski, McIsaac, Lindstrom, Tuomisto, Kaski, etc.) and a few really promising goalie prospects (Larsson, Eliasson, Petruzzelli). Add in another high skilled prospect or two in next year's draft and I think we'll be in great shape. No need to try and get cute with trades that likely don't make us any better and potentially even make us worse...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Now all of a sudden you want to project rosters? We have no idea what our roster will look like in a year and a half. Therefore, I have no idea what our biggest need will be at that time.

What? Project rosters? Please reread. I'm asking if our current roster TODAY was going for the playoffs where would you like to add...?

34 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What? Project rosters? Please reread. I'm asking if our current roster TODAY was going for the playoffs where would you like to add...?

Sorry, apparently I didn't realize February 2020 was next season... :confused:

As in, trade futures for a player to help us go on a playoff run? No one. I wouldn't make any big trades at this time. Other than attempting to rid ourselves of a Daley or Nielsen, I'd stay pat.

If you're asking me what area of our team is in the biggest need of an upgrade right now, obviously I would agree that would be defense. But not looking beyond this season would be extremely short sighted. What area of our team do I think will be the biggest need of an upgrade beyond next season? Ask me then.

For the last time though... It would be dumb (in my opinion) to trade away our best goal scorer for a defenseman. Especially when you consider the high end defensemen we have coming over the next couple season.

28 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

So you wouldn't be okay with making a Subban for spare parts type trade now, to fill a need?

Terrible long term management

What does this have to do with anything? Is Subban on the market? No. Is a similar player on the market for "spare parts"? No.

16 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

What does this have to do with anything? Is Subban on the market? No. Is a similar player on the market for "spare parts"? No.

What did below have to do with anything lol?

16 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

So you'd be okay with making a Hall for Larsson type trade now, just to fill a need?

Terrible long term management.

22 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What did below have to do with anything lol?

You're saying you want to make a trade that suits next year's needs, but doesn't necessarily suit the needs of the team long term. Everyone knows that our defense is an absolute wreck, and is clearly our biggest need right now. However, I think most would agree that our defense looks very promising beyond next season.

The trade you were proposing (Mantha, plus for Ristolainen) *might* make a tiny bit of sense for next season, but beyond that, it looks dumb.

The Oilers foolishly traded Hall for Larsson because they thought they had a surplus of scoring wingers, and not enough defensemen. It was a terrible move. I think trading Mantha for Ristolainen (although maybe not as bad) would be terrible as well.

15 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You're saying you want to make a trade that suits next year's needs, but doesn't necessarily suit the needs of the team long term. Everyone knows that our defense is an absolute wreck, and is clearly our biggest need right now. However, I think most would agree that our defense looks very promising beyond next season.

The trade you were proposing (Mantha, plus for Ristolainen) *might* make a tiny bit of sense for next season, but beyond that, it looks dumb.

The Oilers foolishly traded Hall for Larsson because they thought they had a surplus of scoring wingers, and not enough defensemen. It was a terrible move. I think trading Mantha for Ristolainen (although maybe not as bad) would be terrible as well.

I asked you what the teams immediate need is... lol

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I asked you what the teams immediate need is... lol

Sure, but what the f*** does that have to do with anything? Who gives a s*** what they're immediate need is. We're not trying to compete now. We're rebuilding. If you want to make trades to fill immediate needs without looking long term, you're going to make a lot of bad trades.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Sure, but what the f*** does that have to do with anything? Who gives a s*** what they're immediate need is. We're not trying to compete now. We're rebuilding. If you want to make trades to fill immediate needs without looking long term, you're going to make a lot of bad trades.

So the biggest hole right now is at defense, yeah?

24 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

So the biggest hole right now is at defense, yeah?

Not to interrupt, because it most certainly is the biggest hole. And this horse trading between you two is awesome. 

But we are not the Leafs. 

We aren't even the Coyotes.

I think that's what KRS-One is trying to say. 

edit: for twitter grammar 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

again a lot of ifs, but if Green stays healthy and Hronek plays the way he ended the season and the WC, we should be ok at the back end. A 2C and a top 6 RW are more of a need to me.

edit: and I´m fine with ok at the back end, if we keep bringing in young talent in case of injuries. They have to learn it somehow...

Edited by ely s

26 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Not to interrupt, because it most certainly is the biggest hole. And this horse trading between you two is awesome. 

But we are not the Leafs. 

We aren't even the Coyotes.

I think that's what KRS-One is trying to say. 

edit: for twitter grammar 

It's the last season of Ericsson. Seems like only yesterday he signed a 6 x $4.2

43 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Would you take him back at 4 years, 2.5 mil per?

He was actually good for the first half of 17-18. But I think that was the last bit of life he had left in him, and he's just been getting Weekend-at-Bernie'd around ever since. Gotta think pretty soon s***s gonna start falling off as he rots. I don't think we could get away with it.

16 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Would you take him back at 4 years, 2.5 mil per?

At 2 years max yes. But it depends what our young D do this year.

If 3 to 4 of Cholowski, Hronek, Bowey, Hicketts, Kaski show they are serviceable fulltime I probably would only offer something short and closer to league minimum.  

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

13 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

At 2 years max yes. But it depends what our young D do this year.

If 3 to 4 of Cholowski, Hronek, Bowey, Hicketts, Kaski show they are serviceable fulltime I probably would only offer something short and closer to league minimum.  

I think he will get at least 3.5 on the open market.  Im betting he is a Shark or Blue Jacket come 2021.

19 hours ago, Dabura said:

Maybe I'm in the minorty on this, but I feel like Ericsson's pretty close to retirement. Doesn't he have a chronically bad hip and/or a chronically bad hand or something?

Chronically bad tennis elbow.