2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Franzen and Hossa
Filppula and Weiss
Quincey and no Quincey
Blashill and Babcock
The streak and the tank
Zadina and Hughes

Why does Holland always choose wrong?

I am pretty sure we would of taken Dobson or Bouchard over Hughes if Zadina didn't fall to us.

I can't lie, I wanted Zadina when it appeared he was going to be fall to us. As a Michigan Wolverine fan I wanted Hughes going into the draft. But before that I didn't think we had a chance at Zadina. I don't blame Holland for the pick Zadina pick. Even if he's not as good as a NHLer as Q.Hughes. I do blame him for Franzen and Weiss turn outs.

VAN drafting so well without them top 3 picks. We need to take note..

15 minutes ago, xault said:

I am pretty sure we would of taken Dobson or Bouchard over Hughes if Zadina didn't fall to us.

I can't lie, I wanted Zadina when it appeared he was going to be fall to us. As a Michigan Wolverine fan I wanted Hughes going into the draft. But before that I didn't think we had a chance at Zadina. I don't blame Holland for the pick Zadina pick. Even if he's not as good as a NHLer as Q.Hughes. I do blame him for Franzen and Weiss turn outs.

VAN drafting so well without them top 3 picks. We need to take note..

Fersure. I straight up take Zadina every time at that draft. Felt like a huge win at the time.
But that's my ignorance as a fan - who saw him ranked as top 3 in the media all year - talking. When we drafted him my actual knowledge of Zadina was "he score lot of point. Shoot good. Rank high." and that's about it. I don't follow prospects as closely as some do so maybe I'm the outlier, but I never really learned too much about him cause I didn't think we had a shot at taking him.

But I trust our scouting staff knows their stuff, and so I trusted the pick and was very enthused he fell to us.

Flash forward to November and December 2018. I've seen Zadina play a bit now in person and what not. He's not very good. Particularly he's lost in his own defensive zone and he leans heavily on his linemates for his own offensive output.

I honestly give him somewhat of a break on the defensive side. He's learning a new coaches systems and adjusting to the pro game. IMO the defensive side of the game is much more cerebral and a thinking mans game. Which is why it's very systems oriented and a teachable aspect of the game. Offense though I regard as very instinctual and it's just sort of something you have to have. The Dman is the engineer, and the forward is the artist. I don't see an artist out there with Zadina. I see a player who is very one-dimensional player with a quick wrist. The most similar player I'd compare him to in our system is AA. Very valuable, yet feels very trade-able. Lacking depth of skill. Feels like a one-trick pony.

Now I hope my beer laden sports watching opinion is very wrong. I hope he's simply the next Kucherov who's gonna pop off at 23/24, but I also realize how slim the chances are of that.

I think we may very soon look back and ask why we succumbed to the media hype and didn't take Quinn Hughes, Bouchard, or Dobson. And that would be a critique I have of Holland. I loved when Yzerman took his man high in Seider this year. Screams confidence. Zadina screams "well we didn't think we'd even have a shot of taking you, but you're here now, guess I'll take you"

Now I know what I'm saying is very premature and downer, but it's a genuine thought I have. If he lights it up this year I'll gladly eat my dirty muckraking words. If he doesn't though best believe Ima beat this drum harder.

Something something Zagina

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Fersure. I straight up take Zadina every time at that draft. Felt like a huge win at the time.
But that's my ignorance as a fan - who saw him ranked as top 3 in the media all year - talking. When we drafted him my actual knowledge of Zadina was "he score lot of point. Shoot good. Rank high." and that's about it. I don't follow prospects as closely as some do so maybe I'm the outlier, but I never really learned too much about him cause I didn't think we had a shot at taking him.

But I trust our scouting staff knows their stuff, and so I trusted the pick and was very enthused he fell to us.

Flash forward to November and December 2018. I've seen Zadina play a bit now in person and what not. He's not very good. Particularly he's lost in his own defensive zone and he leans heavily on his linemates for his own offensive output.

I honestly give him somewhat of a break on the defensive side. He's learning a new coaches systems and adjusting to the pro game. IMO the defensive side of the game is much more cerebral and a thinking mans game. Which is why it's very systems oriented and a teachable aspect of the game. Offense though I regard as very instinctual and it's just sort of something you have to have. The Dman is the engineer, and the forward is the artist. I don't see an artist out there with Zadina. I see a player who is very one-dimensional player with a quick wrist. The most similar player I'd compare him to in our system is AA. Very valuable, yet feels very trade-able. Lacking depth of skill. Feels like a one-trick pony.

Now I hope my beer laden sports watching opinion is very wrong. I hope he's simply the next Kucherov who's gonna pop off at 23/24, but I also realize how slim the chances are of that.

I think we may very soon look back and ask why we succumbed to the media hype and didn't take Quinn Hughes, Bouchard, or Dobson. And that would be a critique I have of Holland. I loved when Yzerman took his man high in Seider this year. Screams confidence. Zadina screams "well we didn't think we'd even have a shot of taking you, but you're here now, guess I'll take you"

Now I know what I'm saying is very premature and downer, but it's a genuine thought I have. If he lights it up this year I'll gladly eat my dirty muckraking words. If he doesn't though best believe Ima beat this drum harder.

Something something Zagina

This ties into the Best Player available argument.  You like Yzermans pick because it targeted a team need in RH#1D.  You would be stoked if we had Hughes because it would fulfill another team need in LH#1D.  Zadina just gets dumped into the LH top 9 Winger pool, which doesnt impact the big club at all unless he breaks out and proves he's more dynamic than Mantha and Athanasiou.  Now that being said, Im a Zadina fan.  I think hes going to end up being a top 6 guy on the Wings and put 25-35 goals up a year.  So I dont think the pick was wasted.  I just think Hughes was the better pick.

5 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

This ties into the Best Player available argument.  You like Yzermans pick because it targeted a team need in RH#1D.  You would be stoked if we had Hughes because it would fulfill another team need in LH#1D.  Zadina just gets dumped into the LH top 9 Winger pool, which doesnt impact the big club at all unless he breaks out and proves he's more dynamic than Mantha and Athanasiou.  Now that being said, Im a Zadina fan.  I think hes going to end up being a top 6 guy on the Wings and put 25-35 goals up a year.  So I dont think the pick was wasted.  I just think Hughes was the better pick.

Nah I just admire bold, big-cojones moves. Taking Seider is that. I'm lowkey a big Bergevin fan bc of this.

20 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

And that guy is yoked

There was an interview with Bergy I can't find now that went something like this:

*Reporter shows Berg the picture from the golf outing where his guns look enormous*
Bergevin: "Lol yeah I'm pretty sure that picture is photo-shopped"
Reporter: "Oh, this photo isn't accurate then?"
Bergevin: "Nope... my arms are bigger than that"

Badass

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

There was an interview with Bergy I can't find now that went something like this:

*Reporter shows Berg the picture from the golf outing where his guns look enormous*
Bergevin: "Lol yeah I'm pretty sure that picture is photo-shopped"
Reporter: "Oh, this photo isn't accurate then?"
Bergevin: "Nope... my arms are bigger than that"

Badass

Ha ha ha.  I wouldnt fk with him.

3 hours ago, joesuffP said:

I think Wings were going to take Bouchard if Zadina never fell so I’m keeping an eye on his development

When it came to D, my order was Bouchard, Dobson then Hughes.  I get it though, Zadina was ranked #3 and fell, so Holland "had no choice" but to take him.  I just think that once he fell from three, if he really was that coveted, he'd have gone 4 or 5.  I would rather had Holland choose a D, and IMO, if he had, it was going to be Hughes.  Having Hughes here would impact us more than having Zadina here, IMO. Especially if Yzerman still went with Seider this draft.  I fully believe that a Hughes - Seider combo would indeed be our top paring that we have not had since our hey day.  Zadina has a LOT, a TON, a s*** TON to  prove the show that he was deserving of Holland by passing our biggest need (#1/#2 D) to pick him. I just feel we have enough talented forwards (cannot have too many top 3 guys) that we should have never passed on a top D in the draft.  Probably why Yzerman went for Seider with all that offensive talent still on the board. But if you could imagine us having Hughes and Seider along with McIsaac, Hronek, Cholowski for 5 of our 6 D? We'd be MUCH better off  with that, than having Zadina in a top 6 role. Just my opinion.  I feel in the next few years, we will all be wishing we had drafted Hughes.  Especially now since we lost out on Trouba, probably won't get Krug, nor any other soon to be UFA top D. 

I guess we'll see though, Zadina could come in and fill the nets to the tune of 40+ in the next couple of season's as well.  I am hoping for that, since Holland drafted him and there is no use in wishing we had Hughes or Bouchard, it won't change, and neither Vancouver nor Edmonton is dealing them away anytime too soon....although, I wonder if we could do a Zadina for Bouchard swap? Could Holland have "no choice" but to take Zadina again?

46 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

When it came to D, my order was Bouchard, Dobson then Hughes.  I get it though, Zadina was ranked #3 and fell, so Holland "had no choice" but to take him.  I just think that once he fell from three, if he really was that coveted, he'd have gone 4 or 5.  I would rather had Holland choose a D, and IMO, if he had, it was going to be Hughes.  Having Hughes here would impact us more than having Zadina here, IMO. Especially if Yzerman still went with Seider this draft.  I fully believe that a Hughes - Seider combo would indeed be our top paring that we have not had since our hey day.  Zadina has a LOT, a TON, a s*** TON to  prove the show that he was deserving of Holland by passing our biggest need (#1/#2 D) to pick him. I just feel we have enough talented forwards (cannot have too many top 3 guys) that we should have never passed on a top D in the draft.  Probably why Yzerman went for Seider with all that offensive talent still on the board. But if you could imagine us having Hughes and Seider along with McIsaac, Hronek, Cholowski for 5 of our 6 D? We'd be MUCH better off  with that, than having Zadina in a top 6 role. Just my opinion.  I feel in the next few years, we will all be wishing we had drafted Hughes.  Especially now since we lost out on Trouba, probably won't get Krug, nor any other soon to be UFA top D. 

I guess we'll see though, Zadina could come in and fill the nets to the tune of 40+ in the next couple of season's as well.  I am hoping for that, since Holland drafted him and there is no use in wishing we had Hughes or Bouchard, it won't change, and neither Vancouver nor Edmonton is dealing them away anytime too soon....although, I wonder if we could do a Zadina for Bouchard swap? Could Holland have "no choice" but to take Zadina again?

We missed the boat on Hughes.  Kid has wheels.

Just now, Jonas Mahonas said:

We missed the boat on Hughes.  Kid has wheels.

I agree. Like I said, I wanted D for sure, Hughes was my 3rd choice, but if Holland took him he'd have been a great choice.  We missed the boat on all of Bouchard, Dobson and Hughes.  And honestly, if I were going with a Forward, it would've been Wahlstrom anyhow.  That is a match up that I will be keeping my eye on, who does better, Zadina or Wahlstrom.

18 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I agree. Like I said, I wanted D for sure, Hughes was my 3rd choice, but if Holland took him he'd have been a great choice.  We missed the boat on all of Bouchard, Dobson and Hughes.  And honestly, if I were going with a Forward, it would've been Wahlstrom anyhow.  That is a match up that I will be keeping my eye on, who does better, Zadina or Wahlstrom.

I wanted Dobson.  I like Hughes more now, tho.