• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2019-20 Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm a little surprised they have Seider being a full two years away. Maybe I'm totally misreading how close he is, just as I did with Zadina, but I'm really feeling like he's not quite that far away. I guess it could largely depend on where he plays this season.

Also, Nielsen as our 4C? (See the embedded "31-in-31" video.) You gonna take that lying down, @DanishBackhander51?!

I honestly believe Seider starts in GR this season. Hronek is here and when the inevitble injuries to Ericsson, Daley and Green happen, Cholowski and Seider will be getting the callups, but remember, Seider can only play 9 games so we don't burn one of his years.

I don´t think they really care about "burning" one year if he a) plays well enough and b) if the opportunity is there. Again a lot of ifs, but if Seider and Cholo are the #1 pairing to start the season in GR and Seider performs well enough, he will be on the second pairing in Detroit and Hronek move up to the first when Green is traded at the TDL. During the DC 3on3 and 5on5 I sometimes had the impression that there was a man playing in junior competition and I truly believe he plays around 20 games in Detroit this year. I try to be as  unhyped as possible, but he looks pretty ready to me.

3 minutes ago, ely s said:

I don´t think they really care about "burning" one year if he a) plays well enough and b) if the opportunity is there. Again a lot of ifs, but if Seider and Cholo are the #1 pairing to start the season in GR and Seider performs well enough, he will be on the second pairing in Detroit and Hronek move up to the first when Green is traded at the TDL. During the DC 3on3 and 5on5 I sometimes had the impression that there was a man playing in junior competition and I truly believe he plays around 20 games in Detroit this year. I try to be as  unhyped as possible, but he looks pretty ready to me.

I'm not sure about the 20 games in Detroit (I'd love to see it), but everything else I agree with. I'm hoping Cholowski and Seider are the top pairing in GR this season, while Hronek is ripping it up in Detroit.

30 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

It's amazing that Hronek is like the only decent Dman we've drafted since Kronwall (year 2000). 16 years of not developing any Dmen can hurt one would think.

You don't think Cholowski or Seider are / will be "decent"?

Edited by krsmith17

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

We will see on both. Hronek has already proved he's legit in my eyes.

For sure. I just think top 4 defenseman constitutes "decent", and I'd be a little shocked if both aren't at least that. 

39 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You don't think Cholowski or Seider are / will be "decent"?

We could be wrong on them but for the wings future we better not be , I think both will be top 4 guys though , seider will be given every opportunity to succeed and cholowski I think will be a Ppl guy and be a 30-45 pt guy at least ( or for our sake he’d better be )

hronek is a stud 

Craig Button said Seider will at least be a Brandon Carlo, so I´m fine with that. Seider is flying to Detroit today.

Cholo was a little like Larkin in his first season. A real good start and then reality kicked in. He still looked very promising though. He just needs a bit more top pair minutes GR.  Hopefully he will be in Detroit for good after the TDL.

Hronek didn´t play well enough at the start of the season and was sent back to GR, where he really put the work and effort in to proof he belongs to the big club. Strong finish to the season and real good WC. He can develop behind Green on the second pairing and at the TDL move up to the first unit.

I know a lot of people aren´t overly excited about this season, but I really am. We have so many exciting players in the pipes and it´s only 3 weeks till the Traverse City prospect tournament, where we get to see how much effort our youngsters have put in during the summer to make a case for themselves.

1 hour ago, ely s said:

Craig Button said Seider will at least be a Brandon Carlo, so I´m fine with that. Seider is flying to Detroit today.

Craig Button also said that Dylan Larkin would be "Darren Helm with better scoring ability", so I'd take the Brandon Carlo comparison with a grain of salt. I personally think (hope) Seider will be a much better defenseman than Carlo. Not that Carlo is bad (and still has room to grow), I just have very high expectations for Seider...

4 hours ago, ely s said:

Cholo was a little like Larkin in his first season. A real good start and then reality kicked in. He still looked very promising though. He just needs a bit more top pair minutes GR.  Hopefully he will be in Detroit for good after the TDL.

Hronek didn´t play well enough at the start of the season and was sent back to GR, where he really put the work and effort in to proof he belongs to the big club. Strong finish to the season and real good WC. He can develop behind Green on the second pairing and at the TDL move up to the first unit.

I know a lot of people aren´t overly excited about this season, but I really am. We have so many exciting players in the pipes and it´s only 3 weeks till the Traverse City prospect tournament, where we get to see how much effort our youngsters have put in during the summer to make a case for themselves.

If Seider ends up only being as good as Brandon Carlo then Steve Yzerman should be fired.  You don't take "Brandon Carlo" types with the 6th overall pick.  If he's not a Colton Paryako at least, and a Seth Jones at most, then it's a wasted pick in a crucial year. 

6 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

If Seider ends up only being as good as Brandon Carlo then Steve Yzerman should be fired.  You don't take "Brandon Carlo" types with the 6th overall pick.  If he's not a Colton Paryako at least, and a Seth Jones at most, then it's a wasted pick in a crucial year. 

Agreed on the Carlo comment.

But Parayko? 28 pts in 80? 12 in 26 in the playoffs? Methinks Seider will at least meet your base expectations. 

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Craig Button also said that Dylan Larkin would be "Darren Helm with better scoring ability", so I'd take the Brandon Carlo comparison with a grain of salt. I personally think (hope) Seider will be a much better defenseman than Carlo. Not that Carlo is bad (and still has room to grow), I just have very high expectations for Seider...

Isnt that pretty accurate for Larkin?

10 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Isnt that pretty accurate for Larkin?

Not. sure. if. serious...

The only *slight* comparison Larkin has to Helm is speed, and even then I think Larkin is faster than Helm ever was in his prime. Larkin has better hands, better shot, better playmaker, higher hockey IQ, etc, etc, etc...

33 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Not. sure. if. serious...

The only *slight* comparison Larkin has to Helm is speed, and even then I think Larkin is faster than Helm ever was in his prime. Larkin has better hands, better shot, better playmaker, higher hockey IQ, etc, etc, etc...

I think the only thing Button missed is that Larkin has MUCH more scoring ability.  10 other NHL teams missed that too, tho.  At the time, that analysis seems pretty accurate if you only have a few words to get your point across.  5 years later, it turns out the comparison to a poor mans Crosby is a bit more accurate than Helm with more scoring ability.

16 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I think the only thing Button missed is that Larkin has MUCH more scoring ability.  10 other NHL teams missed that too, tho.  At the time, that analysis seems pretty accurate if you only have a few words to get your point across.  5 years later, it turns out the comparison to a poor mans Crosby is a bit more accurate than Helm with more scoring ability.

LOL

The only thing Button missed was how awesome Larkin was going to be. Other than that, he nailed it. 

17 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

So... in other words, it's not at all accurate? That was my point... Players are often compared to other players based on play style, not so much floor / ceiling. Button thinks Seider plays similarly to Carlo. From the little I've seen of Seider so far, I disagree. Button also thought Larkin played similarly to Helm, it didn't take me very long to disagree with that take either...

53 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Don´t get me wrong, I think he will be a #1 defensemen. Listen to the podcast I posted from 22:30 on, that´s his Seider part.

4 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

LOL

The only thing Button missed was how awesome Larkin was going to be. Other than that, he nailed it. 

Let me go back 5 years and check out what you were saying about Dylan Larkin pre draft.  Oh yah.  Absolutely NOTHING.  If you want to say Button underestimated Larkin's ceiling, fine.  But at the time, we had ONE burner on our team and it was Helm.  That's why he put out the most succinct comparison to a Red Wings player he could.  Helm with hands.

Here are Button's full comments.  Will probably put you all at ease on this.

“Think of Darren Helm but better scoring ability,” said TSN scout Craig Button. “He’s got that type of disruptive speed. He comes at you defensively. He comes at you offensively. He played (hurt) at the (world) U-18 tournament where USA won gold and he just kept playing through it. He’s got guts, lots of skill, lots of speed.”