• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2019-20 Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

looks like Seider has got a new friend and apart of 10 minutes we had a real good game. Zadina was real good and would have deserved a goal. Unlucky he missed that last one. The defense was good (apart of the 10 minutes) Lindström and Regula looked good and Seider showed why he was a #6 pick I think. Veleno played real good, strong defensively, fast, him and Zadina look like a nice fit

Just now, ely s said:

looks like Seider has got a new friend and apart of 10 minutes we had a real good game. Zadina was real good and would have deserved a goal. Unlucky he missed that last one. The defense was good (apart of the 10 minutes) Lindström and Regula looked good and Seider showed why he was a #6 pick I think. Veleno played real good, strong defensively, fast, him and Zadina look like a nice fit

Score?

Did Seider play after that hit? 

13 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Same old gutless Wings huh?  Kocur would have cracked Dach's helmet before smashing his face.

Negative. Seider laid Dach out multiple times throughout the game post hit. At one point Dach threw a check on him and was the one who ended up being knocked over. 

Seider continues to impress, and apparently hates Kirby Dach. 

4 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Negative. Seider laid Dach out multiple times throughout the game post hit. At one point Dach threw a check on him and was the one who ended up being knocked over. 

Seider continues to impress, and apparently hates Kirby Dach. 

He wanted to fight Dach as well and he used every opportunity to hit him, it looks like a proper love affair. Detroit left a good impression and I really want to see the next game.

the last to periods give you a good taste of what to expect from #53.

Well I watched the game and really only watched Seider. I'll have to watch it again later and focus on Zadina.

Seider likes to shoot huh? He even had an apple seider taken away from due to a high stick on the tip in. I was shocked by how much he was shooting and how comfortable he looked running the point.  His passing - while simple and not overly creative - is crisp and on the tape. Seems to make good, or at least safe, decisions with the puck. As well his choices on when to pinch seemed astute and overall play in the backend. I'd describe him exactly as scouts do: big smart mobile Dman with definite offensive potential on the horizon.

He also looked liked a leader out there. He was calling plays and telling guys what to do on the faceoff. The whole Dach v. Seider thing was great too. The two immedately identified each other and battled. And Seider didnt back down at all. Very very happy with this selection right now.

yapp, his cross ice outlet pass to Kuffner for example was spot on and you probably can now understand why I said that you have this strange feeling that he just knows all the time, the puck in our d-zone always ended up on his stick and he knew what to do with it. It´s not flashy, it´s just good. Apart from the misjudgment of his time and space before the 1-1 he played a pretty mistake free game, not flashy, just good. After TC there shouldn´t be left any doubters of his #6 selection.

10 hours ago, ely s said:

Detroit left a good impression and I really want to see the next game.

Agreed.

We're not icing an especially deep team this year, but I thought our marquee players were our best players and played well overall.

Seider is a beauty. Outside of sure-thing top-three picks, I'm not sure you're gonna find a more complete 18-year-old defenseman. Size, skating, smarts, vision, poise, physicality, shooting, passing, playmaking, PP QBing, defensive mindfulness, mean streak -- he has it all. I love that he routinely holds the puck and makes plays under pressure when 99% of other 18-year-old defensemen will panic and throw the puck away because they don't wanna get crushed and/or they don't trust their puck skills in a say-your-prayers situation. I also love that he went HAM after Dach. Dach's a big boy and Seider laid him out flat on at least one occasion and I loved it.

Veleno was quiet through the first 20 but came alive after that and ended up potting a couple of goals and leading a valiant comeback effort. Aside from maybe his skating, there isn't one aspect of his game that really stands out and makes everyone take notice -- but by the end of the game, he will have put up some points while doing some unheralded heavy lifting for his team. Also, dude is a handsome son of a b****.

Zadina is a fraction of a second, a fraction of an inch, and a few pounds of muscle away from being a menace. It's kinda maddening. Could've blown the game wide open a few times but, like I said, he's just that itty-bitty teensy-weensy bit off. Needs a little more seasoning. Showed good chemistry with Veleno, made a perfect pass to set up one of Veleno's goals. So we might have a new dynamic duo to look forward to, first in Grand Rapids and eventually in Detroit.

Thought Hirose looked good. Maybe my eyes were deceiving me, but he looked a bit quicker than I remember him being. He loves selling the shot and then going behind his back with a pass to the point on the PP. I can't recall a single Red Wing in recent memory trying that with any regularity.

I've been kinda down on Givani Smith after the 2018-19 season he had, but I think he still has the potential to be a decent complementary grinder. His value will probably be tied directly to the caliber of his linematers. Case in point: Our first PP unit looked really good last night and I thought he was an important part of it. He won't be a big producer, but he can f*** your s*** up in the trenches.

Gustav Lindstrom didn't impress me. Granted, he's not a flashy player. One of those "If you don't notice him, that means he's doing his job" defensemen.

I liked Alec Regula's work on the point, but I didn't notice him much outside of that.

Edited by Dabura

53 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Well I watched the game and really only watched Seider. I'll have to watch it again later and focus on Zadina.

Seider likes to shoot huh? ...

Zadina was strong on the boards, working hard and really has an impressive shot. I couldn´t see anything bad about his game in the last 40 minutes, he backchecked hard, won more puck battles than he lost. Him and Veleno can be a real dynamic duo.

Seider loves the offensive game and he loves to shoot the puck. Some lazy Scouts didn´t realize that he was a 17 yo in a men´s league trying to keep his spot, playing a safe game, doing it right, learn, take your game to the next level, instead of being the man in juniors. Because he was in juniors in Germany most scouts didn´t have clue how his game was back then. They wrote down what they saw on video of Mannheim.

9 minutes ago, ely s said:

Seider loves the offensive game and he loves to shoot the puck. Some lazy Scouts didn´t realize that he was a 17 yo in a men´s league trying to keep his spot, playing a safe game, doing it right, learn, take your game to the next level, instead of being the man in juniors. Because he was in juniors in Germany most scouts didn´t have clue how his game was back then. They wrote down what they saw on video of Mannheim.

Yeah, I was surprised that no one -- outside of actual legit scouts and such -- seemed to consider the context of his deployment. "He played a pretty safe, unremarkable brand of hockey for his German club, didn't flash a whole lot of gamebreaking skill." Well, yeah. Dude's a teenager playing in a men's league. He was very likely playing the way his coach had instructed him to play. Assuming that's all there is to his game is pretty weak, imo.

I predict we're going to see a fundamental shift in the way people think about draft-eligible players who are playing in Europe. Indeed, I suspect the shift has already started. The conventional thinking is something like "Well, I mean, it's not the CHL, so we have to be careful here." I think we're moving towards "Do we feel this player would've killed it in the CHL?" I feel Seider would've killed it in the OHL/WHL/QMJHL.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Seider likes to shoot huh? He even had an apple seider taken away from due to a high stick on the tip in. I was shocked by how much he was shooting and how comfortable he looked running the point.  His passing - while simple and not overly creative - is crisp and on the tape. Seems to make good, or at least safe, decisions with the puck. As well his choices on when to pinch seemed astute and overall play in the backend. I'd describe him exactly as scouts do: big smart mobile Dman with definite offensive potential on the horizon.

He also looked liked a leader out there. He was calling plays and telling guys what to do on the faceoff. The whole Dach v. Seider thing was great too. The two immedately identified each other and battled. And Seider didnt back down at all. Very very happy with this selection right now.

Nice

2 hours ago, ely s said:

yapp, his cross ice outlet pass to Kuffner for example was spot on and you probably can now understand why I said that you have this strange feeling that he just knows all the time, the puck in our d-zone always ended up on his stick and he knew what to do with it. It´s not flashy, it´s just good. Apart from the misjudgment of his time and space before the 1-1 he played a pretty mistake free game, not flashy, just good. After TC there shouldn´t be left any doubters of his #6 selection.

Seider took a lot wristers from the point which surprised me. I prefer a guy who claps bombs but thats probably just a personal preference. 

Seiders positioning is superb. Hes always there to grab the puck or recieve a pass for a reason. Great IQ. 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Seider took a lot wristers from the point which surprised me. I prefer a guy who claps bombs but thats probably just a personal preference. 

Seiders positioning is superb. Hes always there to grab the puck or recieve a pass for a reason. Great IQ. 

Hard not to like this guy. He's been very vocal with his lines too, definitely not a passive personality which is cool to see from someone so young. 

Zadina has been fighting it a bit so far, though as I type this he just set up Veleno for a nice one timer goal, then set him up for another goal about 30 seconds later. 

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Yeah, I was surprised that no one -- outside of actual legit scouts and such -- seemed to consider the context of his deployment. "He played a pretty safe, unremarkable brand of hockey for his German club, didn't flash a whole lot of gamebreaking skill." Well, yeah. Dude's a teenager playing in a men's league. He was very likely playing the way his coach had instructed him to play. Assuming that's all there is to his game is pretty weak, imo.

I predict we're going to see a fundamental shift in the way people think about draft-eligible players who are playing in Europe. Indeed, I suspect the shift has already started. The conventional thinking is something like "Well, I mean, it's not the CHL, so we have to be careful here." I think we're moving towards "Do we feel this player would've killed it in the CHL?" I feel Seider would've killed it in the OHL/WHL/QMJHL.

Unless by "no one", you mean "a lot of fans, who shouldn't be expected to know any better", this isn't true at all. I think the "Seider was a reach at #6" talk obscures the fact that he was still ranked as a mid-to-late first rounder. Everyone knew he was a good player. Even people who call him a reach. A player can be both. The question isn't "is he good", it's "is he better than Cozens, Zegras, Caufield, Boldy, Podkolzin, Broberg, York, Krebs, Newhook?"

The context of his scoring is absolutely taken into account. No chance at all he would have been considered a first-rounder if he'd had the same stats in any NA league, or people didn't think there was more to his game. Podkolzin and Broberg were also highly regarded despite low production in Europe/Russia. Same for Boqvist last year. Even going way back to Ovie and Malkin, there's obviously a very different standard for European scoring.

17 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Unless by "no one", you mean "a lot of fans, who shouldn't be expected to know any better", this isn't true at all.

I'm not talking about actual NHL amateur scouts. I'm talking about fans, the blogosphere, the Pronmans. I was balls-deep in everyone's takes on players and I felt the Seider takes were generally a bit lacking. I feel this is sort of the norm for NA folks' takes on non-marquee draft-eligibles playing in European leagues and I feel that The Age of Information is probably going to see the average info-seeking hockey fan own increasingly informed, nuanced takes on draft-eligibles who maybe wouldn't have gotten much coverage and love in years past.