• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2019-20 Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

These are from The Athletic's Pronman, and I think say a lot about his evaluation system. When he ranked Detroit's prospect pool (released earlier this week) these guys were pretty far down the list. But when he scouted the European U20 camps later in the week look who impressed:

Albert Johansson, D, Detroit

Johansson was the top defenseman at Sweden’s camp. In the 2001 age group he’s historically been buried behind numerous first-round-pick caliber talents for Sweden on defense. But with all those players not at the camp, he had an opportunity to shine. He’s a very smart two-way player who can use his brain and feet to help his team’s transition game. “His game has grown a lot since playing all last season against men. He is stronger and more confident with and without the puck. He knows he can match his opponents,” Monten said.

Elmer Soderblom, RW, Detroit

Soderblom, drafted by the Red Wings in the sixth round in 2019, is trending up. He received praise from the coaching staff as one of Sweden’s top players at camp, along with Holmstrom and Johansson among the drafted prospects. Soderblom created chances for himself and others, and used his massive 6-foot-6 frame to get to the hard areas of the ice. “He’s a big guy but now he plays big. Gaining strength and quickness has helped his game become more efficient. He’s strong on pucks and takes them to the net hard,” Monten said.

23 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

These are from The Athletic's Pronman, and I think say a lot about his evaluation system. When he ranked Detroit's prospect pool (released earlier this week) these guys were pretty far down the list. But when he scouted the European U20 camps later in the week look who impressed:

Albert Johansson, D, Detroit

Johansson was the top defenseman at Sweden’s camp. In the 2001 age group he’s historically been buried behind numerous first-round-pick caliber talents for Sweden on defense. But with all those players not at the camp, he had an opportunity to shine. He’s a very smart two-way player who can use his brain and feet to help his team’s transition game. “His game has grown a lot since playing all last season against men. He is stronger and more confident with and without the puck. He knows he can match his opponents,” Monten said.

Elmer Soderblom, RW, Detroit

Soderblom, drafted by the Red Wings in the sixth round in 2019, is trending up. He received praise from the coaching staff as one of Sweden’s top players at camp, along with Holmstrom and Johansson among the drafted prospects. Soderblom created chances for himself and others, and used his massive 6-foot-6 frame to get to the hard areas of the ice. “He’s a big guy but now he plays big. Gaining strength and quickness has helped his game become more efficient. He’s strong on pucks and takes them to the net hard,” Monten said.

This upcoming season in the SHL will be very interesting for us and the Red Wings player development staff. Big seasons coming for these two and Jonatan Berggren, I hope.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Anyone have stats on our prospects that are overseas on loans? I can't seem to find any stats to see how they are performing on these loan stints. Would be interesting to know.

As far as I know, no leagues have started up regular season yet. Just a few pre-season games. I believe regular season starts this week for some of the European leagues.

The leagues in Sweden(Berggren 1g,1a in first game;Albert Johansson 2 ga, 1g, 1a),Czech(Hronek 1a in 2 games) and Switzerland already started, Austria is set to begin tomorrow, Finland at the beginning of Oktober and Germany on Nov 13

edit: just seen that swiss starts was delayed, they had a timeframe from 18th of September to 1st of November. The first 2 games of the season are played right now

Edited by ely s

Nice looking rush by Kivenmaki, that resulted in a goal (off a defender). I'm just happy to see him playing after that nasty hit (concussion) last season.

Also, nice to see Viro with a couple assists, and getting big minutes as an 18 year old, playing against men.

11 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Nice looking rush by Kivenmaki, that resulted in a goal (off a defender). I'm just happy to see him playing after that nasty hit (concussion) last season.

Also, nice to see Viro with a couple assists, and getting big minutes as an 18 year old, playing against men.

Who has those guys?

https://theathletic.com/2132927/2020/10/22/ranking-the-best-nhl-players-under-23-corey-pronmans-top-155/

17. Lucas Raymond, LW, Detroit

March 28, 2002 | 5-foot-10 | 170 pounds

Tier: Elite/high-end bubble

Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 70
Physical Game: 35
Hockey Sense: 65

Raymond has incredible talent and hockey sense. With the puck on his stick he’s incredibly dangerous. His hands are elite and his ability to beat defenders one-on-one clean in ways unlike other players can create a lot of highlight reel moments. He will be a true PP1 quarterback in the NHL because of the unique plays he can make. He has a unique way of navigating with the puck in the offensive zone, showing the patience and vision of a top NHL playmaker in how he picks apart defenses and find seams. Raymond isn’t the biggest guy and isn’t a guy you will tab to kill penalties, but he competes well and gets to the net. While he’s more of a passer, he does have a good shot when he looks to shoot. My one concern is his just average foot speed, particularly as a 5-foot-10 forward. He has good edgework and a powerful first step, with a wide stance he employs when trying to protect pucks, but lacks an NHL caliber separation gear.

38. Moritz Seider, D, Detroit

April 6, 2001 | 6-foot-4 | 207 pounds

Tier: High-end NHL player

Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 70
Hockey Sense: 55

Seider isn’t a flashy player but he’s very well-rounded. He’s a 6-foot-4 defenseman who is highly mobile for his size, can move the puck well and is a top-end defender. His wingspan, great mobility and elite physicality allow him to make so many stops and project as a tough minutes defenseman in the NHL. Seider can move the puck, although I don’t ever see him as a big offensive player, as there will be stretches he can be quite bland with the puck. There are stretches he makes a very nice outlet pass with pace, as well.

61. Filip Hronek, D, Detroit

Nov. 2, 1997 | six-foot | 170 pounds

Tier: High-end/very good bubble

Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 50
Hockey Sense: 60

Hronek has been very impressive the last two seasons, as a 40-point-pace, big-minutes defenseman in the NHL. His skill set doesn’t jump off the page as a six-foot, quick but not amazingly quick defenseman, which is partly why he went 53rd in the 2016 draft. But he’s a very smart and competitive player. Hronek makes a ton of great passes from both ends in terms of making the right decisions and showing a high level of creativity. He has enough quickness to play at an NHL pace and jump into attacks. He defends very well due to his IQ, feet and physicality. On a contending team he may not be playing more than 25 minutes a game, but he wouldn’t be far off.

71. Filip Zadina, RW, Detroit

Nov. 27, 1999 | six-foot | 196 pounds

Tier: High-end/very good bubble

Puck Skills: 65
Physical Game: 45
Hockey Sense: 60
Shot: 60

Zadina is a tough evaluation case, as I’ve seen the highs and lows of his game over the last five years. He’s extremely skilled and has the ability to beat pro defenders clean with his puckhandling. Zadina is known as a goal-scorer, possessing a high-end wrist and slap shot to beat goalies from range. He’s also a very good passer, though, and makes creative feeds often. He’s a good, not great skater, but can make very skilled plays on the move. In his first pro season I thought he was a very perimeter player, and while I still wouldn’t call him hard-nosed, he wasn’t as perimeter I felt last season. I do feel he is quite inconsistent though, from watching him over the years. I still think he’ll be a top-six NHL forward and I still see top-line talent if he maxes out.

26 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Saw this earlier. 

155 players, 31 teams = 5 players per team on average. Detroit has 4. 

Considering we've been really bad for four years now it's a bit disappointing to say the least. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

5 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Saw this earlier. 

155 players, 31 teams = 5 players per team on average. Detroit has 4. 

Considering we've been really bad for four years now it's a bit disappointing to say the least. 

Yeah, I don't disagree. Even more disappointing that we don't have a single player in the top 15. Like any list though, you need to take it with a grain of salt. Give it another year and we should have 5-6 players on this list. We're definitely not through the rebuild yet, but I do think we're at the point where we should start to see some significant improvement over the next couple seasons.

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I don't disagree. Even more disappointing that we don't have a single player in the top 15. Like any list though, you need to take it with a grain of salt. Give it another year and we should have 5-6 players on this list. We're definitely not through the rebuild yet, but I do think we're at the point where we should start to see some significant improvement over the next couple seasons.

Well I mean, choosing U23 as the main parameter seems pretty arbitrary. Some Athletic subscribers claim it's just so he can put Mathews in the 1 spot. Same with the organizational rankings and Toronto being #4 solely on the back of Mathews. Make the cut off U22 and suddenly they're in the mid 20s. Fukin Leafs :lol: