• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

martyrme19

Ray Sheppard traded for $1

Rate this topic

It's the offseason so I typically spend some time getting sucked down a black hole of hockey history online. I always enjoy finding interesting little tidbits here and there. For example - did you know this year two former Red Wings were inducted into the Hall of Fame (albeit not as Red Wings themselves)? Vaclav Nedomansky led the Red Wings in scoring in 78-79. The backup goalie on that team? The other HOF inductee, Jim Rutherford.

Anyway, I was reading up on Igor Larionov when I saw that after his stretch with the Red Wings, in 00-01 he signed as an UFA with Florida Panthers to help set up star, Pavel Bure. He was traded back to us after only 26 games because he wasn't getting along with the coaches and their system. (We traded a first round pick who turned out to be nothing in Yan Golubovsky.)

I knew that initially we had traded Ray Sheppard to SJ to get Larionov, but then I saw something rather peculiar. Ray Sheppard was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres where he scored 114 points in 159 games for them. 18 games into the 3rd season, the Sabres traded him to the Rangers for a total of 1 dollar! The very next season is when we signed him as an UFA.

I couldn't find any details on the internet so I was just wondering if there are any hockey historians here that could share some details as to what the heck happened for the Sabres to trade a .72/game young star for a single dollar to an in state rival. I know most of us are aware of Kris Draper being traded to us for a dollar, but the Jets were sending him back and forth to the AHL and OHL so it's a bit different. 

4 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

You could use a calendar instead of a stop watch to time Sheppard's skating speed...But he did have some really soft hands.

Imagine the damage he would've done if they had OT shootouts back then?

I think I remember him being known for a lack of speed. When he played for the Wings, I was old enough to be a Red Wings "fan" because my dad was, but would rather watch cartoons than an actual hockey game. All I know is, I begged my parents to buy a German Shepherd so that I could name him Ray.

4 hours ago, martyrme19 said:

It's the offseason so I typically spend some time getting sucked down a black hole of hockey history online. I always enjoy finding interesting little tidbits here and there. For example - did you know this year two former Red Wings were inducted into the Hall of Fame (albeit not as Red Wings themselves)? Vaclav Nedomansky led the Red Wings in scoring in 78-79. The backup goalie on that team? The other HOF inductee, Jim Rutherford.

Anyway, I was reading up on Igor Larionov when I saw that after his stretch with the Red Wings, in 00-01 he signed as an UFA with Florida Panthers to help set up star, Pavel Bure. He was traded back to us after only 26 games because he wasn't getting along with the coaches and their system. (We traded a first round pick who turned out to be nothing in Yan Golubovsky.)

I knew that initially we had traded Ray Sheppard to SJ to get Larionov, but then I saw something rather peculiar. Ray Sheppard was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres where he scored 114 points in 159 games for them. 18 games into the 3rd season, the Sabres traded him to the Rangers for a total of 1 dollar! The very next season is when we signed him as an UFA.

I couldn't find any details on the internet so I was just wondering if there are any hockey historians here that could share some details as to what the heck happened for the Sabres to trade a .72/game young star for a single dollar to an in state rival. I know most of us are aware of Kris Draper being traded to us for a dollar, but the Jets were sending him back and forth to the AHL and OHL so it's a bit different. 

I liked that special after the 97 Cup win when they all got up and talked and I'm pretty sure Draper gave Scotty or Mr. I a dollar back. Memories...

This may shed some light on him:

http://sabreslegends.blogspot.com/2006/12/ray-sheppard.html

From what I read it sounds like he already wasn't in their favor because of his (lack of) speed, (lack of) physical play and was not very agile.  He had a great rookie season, regressed the next year, then hurt himself and only played 18 games his 3rd season. So I guess Buffalo figured since he regressed after his rookie season, he probably would be of no use after his ankle injury....hence the VERY little in return from The Rags. Looking back, most Buffalo fans feel that was their worst trade in franchise history, followed by trading Hasek to Detroit.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/31/13887/

Thanks Buffalo, both trades helped us very much!

There's also this:

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/ray-sheppards-rookie-season-still-one-of-sabres-best/

While Sheppard scored 357 NHL goals, including a career-high 52 with the Detroit Red Wings in 1993-94, the winger’s rookie season is probably the most overlooked of the bunch. He only mustered 26 more goals in his final two years with the Sabres. By 1989-90, he was in new coach Rick Dudley’s doghouse and, incredibly, back in the AHL with the Rochester Americans.

so I guess the coach felt if he isn't going to play his way, then we don't want him...stupid coaches.

Edited by LeftWinger

What I am taking from this trade week is the number of mature age rookies that have already been picked up, if they have been taking before the national/pre-season/rookie drafts and a club has gone to the effort to trade for them then they be filling a required role and/or have serious potential.