• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

The problem is that you're confusing my argument with Jonas' argument...

I never said that I think Lafreniere will play center in the NHL one day... I said that he definitely could play center in the NHL if the team that drafted him, wanted him to. You act like it's impossible for a winger to learn how to play center. It's not at all. Far from it.

Why would I place a bet on something I believe is unlikely to happen?

For the umpteenth time... I don't necessarily think Lafreniere will play center. I think that he has all the tools to be an elite forward, whether that's at his natural position, on the wing, or he makes a seamless transition to center.

Now you're backpedaling.  You said before "I wouldn't be surprised if he switched to center".  Now you don't think he will?  Pick a side man.  Or is the whole point that you say contradictory things so that you're never wrong about anything?

I also love that you're now falling back on "well, it's 'possible' he could...durr".  It's also possible he quits playing hockey and dedicates his life to musical theater.  I'm saying that it's so unlikely (because, among other things, it's an idiotic idea) as to be not worth discussing.  BTW it's also "possible" that he could play defense.  As you've pointed out, more guys have switched from wing to defense than have ever gone from wing to center.  Yet you, and Jonas, don't seem so fascinated by that idea. Wonder why?  Maybe because you're having trouble reconciling the fact that you want the Wings to draft the consensus "best player" but also realize he doesn't actually fill a need on the team? 

Here's a bet I'll make with you, or Jonas, or  anyone else.  Take ANY natural winger from the 2019 or 2020 draft class.  Don't care who.  And for every season they switch and play center, I'll donate $20 bucks to a charity of your choice.  For the duration of their careers.  And for every season they don't, in perpetuity, you have to post (at the end of their season) on LGW, "I'm a harebrained dumbf*ck who lets my argumentative nature get me into stupid, and avoidable, debates with Kipwinger for no reason".  Deal?

Edited by kipwinger

40 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

After a quick google search, I came up with a few names... I'm not sure if all are 100% accurate, but I know some of them are...

Apparently Bryan Little, Claude Giroux, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Sebastian Aho, Pierre Luc-Dubois, among others, played primarily on the wing prior to being drafted, and all are high end centers in the league today. I'm sure there are many other examples as well...

Elite Prospects lists all of those guys as centers (Kuznetsov, Little), or C/W (Giroux, Aho, Dubois), in their draft years. Winger was not the "natural position" of any of them. Lafreniere has NEVER played center at all in Junior hockey.  Big difference.

Note: I'm defaulting to Elite Prospects here because they start tracking guys well before their draft seasons and I, admittedly, didn't watch Bryan "F*cking" Little play junior hockey. 

Edited by kipwinger

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Now you're backpedaling.  You said before "I wouldn't be surprised if he switched to center".  Now you don't think he will?  Pick a side man.  Or is the whole point that you say contradictory things so that you're never wrong about anything?

How is that backpedaling? I'd say the odds of him switching is relatively low. Therefore, I wouldn't bet on it. It still wouldn't surprise me if he did make the switch.

I also love that you're now falling back on "well, it's 'possible' he could...durr".  It's also possible he quits playing hockey and dedicates his life to musical theater.  I'm saying that it's so unlikely (because, among other things, it's an idiotic idea) as to be not worth discussing.  BTW it's also "possible" that he could play defense.  As you've pointed out, more guys have switched from wing to defense than have ever gone from wing to center.  Yet you, and Jonas, don't seem so fascinated by that idea. Wonder why?  Maybe because you're having trouble reconciling the fact that you want the Wings to draft the consensus "best player" but also realize he doesn't actually fill a need on the team? 

I'm saying it's possible as in he has all the physical tools and capabilities to be an elite center, not it's possible, as in "anything is possible"... You seem to think switching from wing to center is some insurmountable feat. It's not. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

The only thing that is stupid or idiotic is the fact that you think something as simple as a positional change is "impossible".

Elite Prospects lists all of those guys as centers (Kuznetsov, Little), or C/W (Giroux, Aho, Dubois), in their draft years. Winger was not the "natural position" of any of them. Lafreniere has NEVER played center at all in Junior hockey.  Big difference.

Note: I'm defaulting to Elite Prospects here because they start tracking guys well before their draft seasons and I, admittedly, didn't watch Bryan "F*cking" Little play junior hockey. 

My guess is you never watched Claude "F*cking" Giroux play junior either...

"Giroux’s greatest talent is his playmaking ability. Boasting excellent hands and great vision, the diminutive winger is able to use his quick skating ability to turn something out of nothing. Giroux, despite his size disadvantage, does not mind getting his nose dirty, and will stand in to take a hit in order to make a play. He does get bodied often, but the shifty winger is agile enough to avoid checks on a regular basis.

Giroux’s size may have been a hindrance in the old NHL, however, he appears to be a prototypical product for the net NHL, with blazing speed and dynamite skill. He has the potential to be a first-line winger."

Or Sebastian "F*cking" Aho...

"A very competitive buzzsaw-type winger who will wear the opposition down in their own end. Strong on his skates and has room for even more growth in that department. Excellent puckhandling ability and finesse; controls plays with form and function. Can try to do too much, but that will go away with time and maturity. All-in-all, a winger that loves to compete and be hard to play against."

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

How is that backpedaling? I'd say the odds of him switching is relatively low. Therefore, I wouldn't bet on it. It still wouldn't surprise me if he did make the switch.

I'm saying it's possible as in he has all the physical tools and capabilities to be an elite center, not it's possible, as in "anything is possible"... You seem to think switching from wing to center is some insurmountable feat. It's not. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

The only thing that is stupid or idiotic is the fact that you think something as simple as a positional change is "impossible".

My guess is you never watched Claude "F*cking" Giroux play junior either...

"Giroux’s greatest talent is his playmaking ability. Boasting excellent hands and great vision, the diminutive winger is able to use his quick skating ability to turn something out of nothing. Giroux, despite his size disadvantage, does not mind getting his nose dirty, and will stand in to take a hit in order to make a play. He does get bodied often, but the shifty winger is agile enough to avoid checks on a regular basis.

Giroux’s size may have been a hindrance in the old NHL, however, he appears to be a prototypical product for the net NHL, with blazing speed and dynamite skill. He has the potential to be a first-line winger."

Or Sebastian "F*cking" Aho...

"A very competitive buzzsaw-type winger who will wear the opposition down in their own end. Strong on his skates and has room for even more growth in that department. Excellent puckhandling ability and finesse; controls plays with form and function. Can try to do too much, but that will go away with time and maturity. All-in-all, a winger that loves to compete and be hard to play against."

Oh, so you don't think Alexis Lafreniere is going to be an NHL center?  Glad you agree with me.  I've been saying so for weeks.  Hear that @Jonas Mahonas, that's now two people who think your idea of drafting Lafreniere and switching him to center is unlikely (and stupid). 

As for the rest of the drivel, I never said positional change was impossible so you're lying and wrong on that accusation.  And I also already acknowledged that Giroux and Aho played center AND wing before being drafted, so you're obtuse and wrong on that point. Also, I'm not sure how listing two guys who played center and wing before coming to the NHL and playing center helps your argument.  Certainly I'd argue that a guy who won the World Junior Championships as a center (Aho) has a pretty good shot of being a quality NHL center one day.  Than again I'd rather reach out and try to grab the moon than attempt to understand the rationale of a dingbat. 

Edit:  If you ask really really really nicely I'll educate you on WHY asking a guy who's never played center to switch and do so in the NHL is laughably unlikely (and stupid).

Edited by kipwinger

Reading all of this about that QMJHL kid is making me dizzy :wacko:

If we're fortunate enough to land the 1st overall pick, and we take him - I'd just assume let him pick where he wants to play - be it wing, or center...Chances are if he's been a winger for much of his hockey career - then I'd just assume let him play that position since that's where he appears most comfortable, and that's where he's gonna thrive.

Oh, so you don't think Alexis Lafreniere is going to be an NHL center?  Glad you agree with me.  I've been saying so for weeks.  Hear that @Jonas Mahonas, that's now two people who think your idea of drafting Lafreniere and switching him to center is unlikely (and stupid). 

As for the rest of the drivel, I never said positional change was impossible so you're lying and wrong on that accusation.  And I also already acknowledged that Giroux and Aho played center AND wing before being drafted, so you're obtuse and wrong on that point. Also, I'm not sure how listing two guys who played center and wing before coming to the NHL and playing center helps your argument.  Certainly I'd argue that a guy who won the World Junior Championships as a center (Aho) has a pretty good shot of being a quality NHL center one day.  Than again I'd rather reach out and try to grab the moon than attempt to understand the rationale of a dingbat. 

Edit:  If you ask really really really nicely I'll educate you on WHY asking a guy who's never played center to switch and do so in the NHL is laughably unlikely (and stupid).

Are you this big a tool in real life? Or is it all just an online persona, to escape how miserable you really are?

43 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Are you this big a tool in real life? Or is it all just an online persona, to escape how miserable you really are?

He's lost this one miserably.  I am just slightly amused still at the possibility of him pulling a giant troll job.  But based on his original "oh no, you cant type down "Athanasiou-Lafreniere-Zadina" because Lafreniere isnt a natural center argument, I think he's really being serious.  The Wayne Gretzky comment absolutely buried him, tho.  That one hurt.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

He's lost this one miserably.  I am just slightly amused still at the possibility of him pulling a giant troll job.  But based on his original "oh no, you cant type down "Athanasiou-Lafreniere-Zadina" because Lafreniere isnt a natural center argument, I think he's really being serious.  The Wayne Gretzky comment absolutely buried him, tho.  That one hurt.

I'm not advocating turning Lafreniere into a center, I just think it's beyond dumb to assume he (or any other winger) can't become a legit centerman.

If we did luck out and won the lottery next year, I would still likely have Larkin - Veleno as our 1-2 punch, with some combination of Lafreniere, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Athanasiou, Zadina and Rasmussen on the wings.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not advocating turning Lafreniere into a center, I just think it's beyond dumb to assume he (or any other winger) can't become a legit centerman.

If we did luck out and won the lottery next year, I would still likely have Larkin - Veleno as our 1-2 punch, with some combination of Lafreniere, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Athanasiou, Zadina and Rasmussen on the wings.

Exactly.  I just dont even look at forwards by position anymore.  They are just forwards.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes, and yes?  Tell you what, why don't you hang on to this one extra tight, and when some guy who's never played center in his life (like Lafreniere) starts doing so in the NHL you can tell me "I told you so".  It'll be totally sweet. 

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Exactly.  I just dont even look at forwards by position anymore.  They are just forwards.

Did you learn that philosophy from Wayne Gretzky, Hall of Fame winger?  Seriously though, when you get right down to it what really are positions anyway?  I mean, what's to stop Chris Chelios from playing center if he feels like it?  We all know Fedorov played defense for like 2 games, so obviously player positions have basically been irrelevant since the 90s amirite? 

Edited by kipwinger

47 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Yes, and yes?  Tell you what, why don't you hang on to this one extra tight, and when some guy who's never played center in his life (like Lafreniere) starts doing so in the NHL you can tell me "I told you so".  It'll be totally sweet. 

Did you learn that philosophy from Wayne Gretzky, Hall of Fame winger?  Seriously though, when you get right down to it what really are positions anyway?  I mean, what's to stop Chris Chelios from playing center if he feels like it?  We all know Fedorov played defense for like 2 games, so obviously player positions have basically been irrelevant since the 90s amirite? 

Dude - grab a Snickers...You're getting a bit cranky.

On 8/6/2019 at 9:15 AM, kipwinger said:

Here's a bet I'll make with you, or Jonas, or  anyone else.  Take ANY natural winger from the 2019 or 2020 draft class.  Don't care who.  And for every season they switch and play center, I'll donate $20 bucks to a charity of your choice.  For the duration of their careers.  And for every season they don't, in perpetuity, you have to post (at the end of their season) on LGW, "I'm a harebrained dumbf*ck who lets my argumentative nature get me into stupid, and avoidable, debates with Kipwinger for no reason".  Deal?

I accept.  And we will make it Lafreniere to keep it simple.  He will play center at the NHL level.  Especially if he goes to a bad team (meaning one not on the rise like Phoenix or Anaheim).

30 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Lafreniere may be a centerman, but he's probably a winger.

Exactly. My point was never that Lafreniere will likely be a center in the NHL. It's much more likely that he's a winger. However, it is not as difficult (or dumb) as kipwinger seems to think, to transition from wing to center. A player like Lafreniere, with a high, high hockey IQ and all the raw tools, could seamlessly make the transition, if he and the team that drafts him see fit.

37 minutes ago, Dabura said:

He's a good enough player that it doesn't matter.

I agree. He is a good enough player that it wouldn't matter. He's going to be an impact player no matter where he is on the ice. However, there's a reason most elite players with his talent and skill set play the center position. It's the position that has the most impact on the game (outside of the goaltender).

Would Crosby and McDavid be elite wingers? Absolutely. Would they have as much impact on the game on the wing? I don't think so. Would Hall be an elite center if he had made the switch 10 years ago? I think so. Would he have more of an impact on the game at center? I think so.

I find it odd that Lafreniere has never played any / much center at this point in his young career. He plays the game like a center. Maybe he just doesn't like it. Maybe he prefers the wing. Who knows... Regardless, at this point, I think he's likely to remain on the wing... but I also think he'd be better suited at center...

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Exactly. My point was never that Lafreniere will likely be a center in the NHL. It's much more likely that he's a winger. However, it is not as difficult (or dumb) as kipwinger seems to think, to transition from wing to center. A player like Lafreniere, with a high, high hockey IQ and all the raw tools, could seamlessly make the transition, if he and the team that drafts him see fit.

I agree. He is a good enough player that it wouldn't matter. He's going to be an impact player no matter where he is on the ice. However, there's a reason most elite players with his talent and skill set play the center position. It's the position that has the most impact on the game (outside of the goaltender).

Would Crosby and McDavid be elite wingers? Absolutely. Would they have as much impact on the game on the wing? I don't think so. Would Hall be an elite center if he had made the switch 10 years ago? I think so. Would he have more of an impact on the game at center? I think so.

I find it odd that Lafreniere has never played any / much center at this point in his young career. He plays the game like a center. Maybe he just doesn't like it. Maybe he prefers the wing. Who knows... Regardless, at this point, I think he's likely to remain on the wing... but I also think he'd be better suited at center...

Seems reasonable.

7 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Admittedly, I'm not *quite* as familiar with Lafreniere as I was with Jack Hughes at this time last year. Like, I've seen him play and I've heard dozens of opinions and assessments and I have a rough sense of the player in my head, but I don't feel I'm currently capable of adding anything substantive to a discussion about the finer points of his game and such. I've gotta do me some more reconnaissance.

I guess what I will say is that looking like a centerman when you're playing on the wing doesn't necessarily mean anything beyond the fact that you're an unusually rounded winger. Could be you were born to play center, but it could just as easily be the case that you're a much better player when you're playing wing because center simply doesn't bring out the best in you.

In any case, if I'm drafting him, I'd certainly hope he's a Zetterbergian LW/C...but if he ends up being a Tarasenko, I'd be A-OK with that.

11 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Admittedly, I'm not *quite* as familiar with Lafreniere as I was with Jack Hughes at this time last year. Like, I've seen him play and I've heard dozens of opinions and assessments and I have a rough sense of the player in my head, but I don't feel I'm currently capable of adding anything substantive to a discussion about the finer points of his game and such. I've gotta do me some more reconnaissance.

I guess what I will say is that looking like a centerman when you're playing on the wing doesn't necessarily mean anything beyond the fact that you're an unusually rounded winger. Could be you were born to play center, but it could just as easily be the case that you're a much better player when you're playing wing because center simply doesn't bring out the best in you.

In any case, if I'm drafting him, I'd certainly hope he's a Zetterbergian LW/C...but if he ends up being a Tarasenko, I'd be A-OK with that.

Could be, but I just find it hard to believe that a player as talented as Lafreniere wouldn't thrive at center... He has the frame, speed, playmaking ability, and most importantly the mind for the game to be an elite center. Maybe he can't win a faceoff to save his life...

If we were talking about an ordinary top 5 pick, or an undersized player, or whatever, this wouldn't be a discussion. But Lafreniere is a special, special player, being compared to the likes of Crosby and McDavid. Anyway, we'll see what happens. He'll likely stay on the wing, but it will be interesting to see if he sees any time at center...

46 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Zetterberg never played C.  He was always a winger.  We all know its impossible to play C if youre a winger from Kipwinger's teachings.

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Zetterberg never played C.  He was always a winger.  We all know its impossible to play C if youre a winger from Kipwinger's teachings.

Zetterberg was natural center in Sweden, not a winger.  He switched from center to wing (temporarily) and back to center in Sweden and then did the same at the NHL level.  He was not a natural winger who switched to center.  Get your facts right. 

13 hours ago, Dabura said:

Lafreniere may be a centerman, but he's probably a winger. He's a good enough player that it doesn't matter.

That's exactly the point.  He's going to be an impact player anyway.  And center is harder than wing in the NHL.  And whomever drafts him is probably going to be hugely dependent on his being a star. So why would (demonstrably conservative) hockey teams ask him to do something harder, that he's never done, against the hardest competitiion on Earth when he's going to be an impact winger without any risk? 

Edited by kipwinger

Lafreniere seems awesome. I remember posting a clip of him on here around 2017, and saying we should definitely draft this kid. Someone quickly informed me he was only like 16/17 and wasn't eligible. I pretty much stopped following him then and there.

But I remember watching him play back then and instantly thinking holy s*** this kids gonna be good AF. Clearly he's only gotten even better since then. I'm sorta not surprised he's the projected #1 pick.

Anyway I think the point here is, Lafriendyay is probably good enough to play center if it was asked of him going forwards. Maybe he'd be way better as a winger, but that's beside the point. I'm sure he could do it decently if he's not a rare bunk #1 overall, and carve out a good career there even if it's not ideal. 

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Lafreniere seems awesome. I remember posting a clip of him on here around 2017, and saying we should definitely draft this kid. Someone quickly informed me he was only like 16/17 and wasn't eligible. I pretty much stopped following him then and there.

But I remember watching him play back then and instantly thinking holy s*** this kids gonna be good AF. Clearly he's only gotten even better since then. I'm sorta not surprised he's the projected #1 pick.

Anyway I think the point here is, Lafriendyay is probably good enough to play center if it was asked of him going forwards. Maybe he'd be way better as a winger, but that's beside the point. I'm sure he could do it decently if he's not a rare bunk #1 overall, and carve out a good career there even if it's not ideal. 

Exactly. He may be better as a winger, but there's also a very strong possibility that he could be way better as a center, and thus have more of an impact on the game. The way he plays the game, I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be able to make the transition.

10 hours ago, kipwinger said:

That's exactly the point.  He's going to be an impact player anyway.  And center is harder than wing in the NHL.  And whomever drafts him is probably going to be hugely dependent on his being a star. So why would (demonstrably conservative) hockey teams ask him to do something harder, that he's never done, against the hardest competitiion on Earth when he's going to be an impact winger without any risk? 

I dunno that anyone here is saying the team that drafts him should try to force him into the middle. I think the point is that he probably has it in him to become a hybrid winger-centerman at the NHL level. Which is fair enough.

Personally, if I'm rosterbating to the idea of Lafreniere in a Wings sweater, I'm picturing him on Larkin's wing. But we're all HYPE!-starved here and so I can't fault anyone for thinking about a center group of Lafreniere, Larkin, Veleno.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I dunno that anyone here is saying the team that drafts him should try to force him into the middle. I think the point is that he probably has it in him to become a hybrid winger-centerman at the NHL level. Which is fair enough.

Personally, if I'm rosterbating to the idea of Lafreniere in a Wings sweater, I'm picturing him on Larkin's wing. But we're all HYPE!-starved here and so I can't fault anyone for thinking about a center group of Lafreniere, Larkin, Veleno.

That's EXACTLY what was being debated.  Dude said, like two weeks ago, that he wanted Lafreniere centering Zadina and AA.  I responded that Lafreniere wasn't a center, and this whole debate was born.  This is the same guy who said foward positions don't matter though.  There are no wingers or centers, just forwards.  So, ya know, dumb.  

Also, TONS of guys "have it in them" based on their skill and athleticism to play different positions.  And yet they don't.  Switching from wing to center, without having ever played center, is really really rare.  Most likely because it's a harder position in a harder league.  Guys switch from center to wing because it's EASIER and they can't hack it down the middle once they get to the NHL.  Not the other way around.  Athanasiou is an amazing winger, and an ok center, for this exact reason. 

Lafreniere has never needed to play defense at a high level, never needed to win faceoffs, none of it.  Now he's going to be asked to learn to do that against Conner McDavid?  Lol.  Why bother when he's already going to be a superstar winger?

Edited by kipwinger