• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

My understanding is Byfield is the closest to ousting Lahfriendyay. Accurate?

I think at this point, it's between Byfield and Raymond. Lucas Raymond is who I believe to be the closest though. Who knows how this year plays out though...

Also, it's Lah-friend-year, not Lah-friend-yay...

Edited by krsmith17

Preliminary 2020 NHL Draft Rankings (Sept. 2019) [DobberProspects]

This group is deep. Giant Squid, ice-cold, middle of the ocean deep. Mariana’s Trench deep.

Regarding tiers, the top of the pile is much roomier than usual. Alexis Lafrenière leads the pack, but he has some very real competition in Quinton Byfield and Lucas Raymond. At this stage of the game, there are probably five very real threats for the pole position. Tier 2 runs from 4-9, Tier 3 10-14, Tier 4 we’ll call 15-31 because its September and these later tiers are going to see significant change throughout the season

1. Alexis Lafrenière, LW / 10-11-01 / 6’1 192lbs / QMJHL

A premier, point-producing machine off of the wing. Extremely dangerous in one-on-one situations. Scores in a variety of ways. Brings the noise. Can still improve on his two-step quickness and hitting the top gear sooner… but we’re nitpicking. Will be one of the rare wingers who will dictate everything.

1. Quinton Byfield, C / 08-19-02 / 6’4 214lbs / OHL

A physical specimen who blends exceptional power with a speed-driven, skill game. His quick hands allow him to maneuver in tight spaces, while the long reach propels his puck-protection. A mammoth of a man at just 16. His absolute ceiling is so rare, that it’s scary to even consider.

1. Lucas Raymond, LW/ 03-28-02/ 5’10 165lbs / SuperElit

An explosive winger who is equally dangerous with his shot or pass.  Moves with quickness and handles the puck at a high-level even at top speed. His puck skills are fluid, controlled and capable of embarrassing. Finishes with accuracy off of a quick release. Capable of converting from all over. Possesses that rare trait of escapability. I love this player.

1. Anton Lundell, C / 10-03-01 / 6’1 183lbs / Liiga

A polished, two-way centre who already brings the full package. His patience with the puck allows him to distribute with high efficiency. Boasts an elite brain. Looks bigger, stronger, and faster than he was even four months ago. He’ll play serious minutes for HIFK this season after producing 0.5 points-per-game in the top tier last season.

1. Alexander Holtz, RW / 01-23-02 / 6’ 183lbs / SuperElit

A rare type of finisher who can convert in the blink of an eye. The puck explodes off of his stick. Anticipates well and gets his body into a position to fire. Owns above-average speed and puck skills to go with the killer instinct. Set the U17 SuperElit goal-scoring record last season. He’ll break a few more records on his way up.

Edited by Dabura

Personally, I think we should draft the best center available (likely Byfield) ...  it seems far easier to acquire quality scoring wingers in UFA than quality centers or Dmen...  yet another reason I didn't like our 2018 1st round selection, even if he hits his mark, it's a position that an adequate/similar replacement player could be gotten in UFA.

7 hours ago, Dabura said:

I will will do some advertising for one of my countrymen, ranked #10. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/348134/tim-stutzle

Another 17 yo playing for Mannheim, he scored in each of Mannheims two road wins last week in the CHL(european hockey cup). He plays center and is one of the best skaters in his draft class.

8 hours ago, mackel said:

it seems far easier to acquire quality scoring wingers in UFA than quality centers or Dmen...  yet another reason I didn't like our 2018 1st round selection, even if he hits his mark, it's a position that an adequate/similar replacement player could be gotten in UFA.

If only we'd gotten Zadina AND Veleno! :hehe:

Snark aside, I hear ya. All things being equal, I probably take a centerman or defenseman over a winger. But nothing's ever equal, so whatevz. I think the best drafting strategy is to just go with the guys you like the best. (Within reason.)

On 9/2/2019 at 5:43 PM, ely s said:

I will will do some advertising for one of my countrymen, ranked #10. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/348134/tim-stutzle

Another 17 yo playing for Mannheim, he scored in each of Mannheims two road wins last week in the CHL(european hockey cup). He plays center and is one of the best skaters in his draft class.

https://dobberprospects.com/prospect-ramblings-musings-on-podkolzin-denisenko-the-2020-crop-more-sept-7/

Tim Stützle – After Adler Manheim incubated Moritz Seider into the top 10, they’ll look to do the same with the skilled centre in Stützle. Speed and quickness are the name of the game. Quality vision and a nice release round out the profile.

He’s been seeing second-line duty and has two goals and three points in three games thus far. This kid is no joke.

He looks real good, some reports even think he´s the best skater in this draft. I try to watch him more often, what I´ve seen so far is quite impressive, he is fast as f*ck and is getting shots off quick and accurate. As the season goes on I think he will only rise in the rankings

1 hour ago, ely s said:

He looks real good, some reports even think he´s the best skater in this draft. I try to watch him more often, what I´ve seen so far is quite impressive, he is fast as f*ck and is getting shots off quick and accurate. As the season goes on I think he will only rise in the rankings

He's definitely on my radar now. :thumbup:

15 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-button-s-list-canadian-forwards-dominate-top-of-first-nhl-draft-rankings-1.1363362

Button's here to tell us exactly how the 2020 draft isn't going to play out. 

>Raymond at 4
>Byfield at 6
>Holtz at 7
>Lundell at 9

What I'm getting from this is we need two picks in the top 10.

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Odds on Yzerman taking Askarov in the 6 - 10 range? 

I've been wondering if it wouldn't be worth it. If Askarov is as good as everyone says he is, that's a franchise gamechanger for us. All of a sudden our myriad perceived shortcomings become less of a problem. We can be like the Habs and run Christoffer Ehn as our 1C and still make the playoffs.

Quite a gamble tho.

On 8/13/2019 at 1:08 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

We really need to get lucky next summer, and instead of dropping back - we need to get into the top 3.

If NJ, or Edm end up in the top 3 - I'm gonna email Bettman concerning my displeasure :censored:

On 9/2/2019 at 4:43 PM, ely s said:

On 9/7/2019 at 1:03 PM, ely s said:

Oh you, and your Germaness!

Edited by F.Michael

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I've been wondering if it wouldn't be worth it. If Askarov is as good as everyone says he is, that's a franchise gamechanger for us. All of a sudden our myriad perceived shortcomings become less of a problem. We can be like the Habs and run Christoffer Ehn as our 1C and still make the playoffs.

Quite a gamble tho.

My feeling as well. Yzerman wouldn't have an aversion to taking that chance.

Hopefully we'll be debating who take in the top 3 instead though. 

12 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

We really need to get lucky next summer, and instead of dropping back - we need to get into the top 3.

If NJ, or Edm end up in the top 3 - I'm gonna email Bettman concerning my displeasure :censored:

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

My feeling as well. Yzerman wouldn't have an aversion to taking that chance.

Hopefully we'll be debating who take in the top 3 instead though. 

If we're gonna suck this season, I definitely hope we pick in the top 3. ...On the other hand, it's looking like the top of this draft class is crazy-good. As in, like, there could be multiple A.Svechnikov/Kakko-tier players available in the top 10.

Anton Lundell -- who, again, Button has at 9 -- was a 0.5 PPG player in 38 games in the Liiga last season. Kaapo Kakko played 6 games in the Liiga in his "draft minus one" season and put up one assist. Now, I'm not saying Lundell is as good as Kakko. I'm just saying, y'know, those are pretty good numbers for a guy who most people seem to be ranking outside of their top 3.

tl;dr hold on to your butts

59 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Oh you, and your Germaness!

it´s just a prospect projected to be around #10, the range where I guess we are picking 2020.

so far a 4game point streak in the european CHL, second line, 17 min/game as a 17yo

Edited by ely s

33 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Hopefully we'll be debating whether or not we should take another left-handed winger (Lafreniere) 1st overall... Yes. Yes, we should.

Was looking at his numbers the other day. His first two CHL seasons? Right in line with McDavid's. I'm not even trying to HYPE! him. I'm saying his production is literally right there with McDavid's.

McDavid:

• 2012-13 regular season: 1.05 PPG (63 GP)
  • 2013-14 regular season: 1.77 PPG (56 GP)
  • 2013-14 playoffs: 1.36 PPG (14 GP)

Lafreniere:

• 2017-18 regular season: 1.33 PPG (60 GP)
  • 2018-19 regular season: 1.72 PPG (61 GP)
  • 2018-19 playoffs: 1.77 PPG (13 GP)

That's, uh...that's pretty impressive. Right? Is my math wrong?

50 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What's the 411 on Askarov?

Sounds like a beast...

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2020-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Yaroslav-Askarov

54 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I thought it was agreed we are taking Timmy Stutzle #3 overall...

19 minutes ago, ely s said:

it´s just a prospect projected to be around #10, the range where I guess we are picking 2020.

so far a 4game point streak in the european CHL, second line, 17 min/game as a 17yo

this friggin draft man

38 minutes ago, ely s said:

I understand - just my attempt at humor ;)

20 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Needs more ‘Muricans!