• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Byfield is a hell of a prospect, but I highly doubt anyone will dethrone Lafreniere. I'm sure there'll be plenty of "speculation" all season, with a few different players "challenging" for the top spot, but in the end, it will undoubtedly be Lafreniere.

This is said just about every draft, but is it really a thing? I don't think there's ever a situation where a GM would prefer to have the number two pick over the number one pick...

”kinda”

I don’t think so too, really. 

Edited by Akakabuto

34 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Might be one of those years you kinda wish you get the 2OA pick. 

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Byfield is a hell of a prospect, but I highly doubt anyone will dethrone Lafreniere. I'm sure there'll be plenty of "speculation" all season, with a few different players "challenging" for the top spot, but in the end, it will undoubtedly be Lafreniere.

This is said just about every draft, but is it really a thing? I don't think there's ever a situation where a GM would prefer to have the number two pick over the number one pick...

I'm not expecting Lafreniere to be dethroned. It would take a ludicrous season from a ludicrously tantalizing player for that to happen. Thing is, Byfield kinda fits the bill, maybe.

It's still early days tho. Can't wait to see how everything plays out.

20 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

”kinda”

I don’t think so too, really. 

If you had the #1 pick and you were certain you wanted the consensus #2 prospect, for whatever reason, it'd be rather silly not to at least try to swap the #1 pick for the #2 pick + a sweetener.

1 hour ago, solarion said:

Good info. It'll come in handy when uncle Gary finally lets the Wings win the draft lottery AND gives them a bonus 1st rounder for being such a dink all these years. 

The damage the salary cap has done to this organization is worth at least the first three picks in the 2020 draft.

On 9/29/2019 at 6:40 PM, solarion said:

If you had the #1 pick and you were certain you wanted the consensus #2 prospect, for whatever reason, it'd be rather silly not to at least try to swap the #1 pick for the #2 pick + a sweetener.

Why would anyone make that trade?  If you called and offered the 1st overall to me, then I'd already know you didn't want the consensus top guy, and that person would then fall to me if you chose to pick someone else instead.  And if you took the top player anyway, despite not wanting him, then my consolation prize would be the player I thought I was getting all along.  Trading back only works if you're skipping a few spots.

23 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Why would anyone make that trade?  If you called and offered the 1st overall to me, then I'd already know you didn't want the consensus top guy, and that person would then fall to me if you chose to pick someone else instead.  And if you took the top player anyway, despite not wanting him, then my consolation prize would be the player I thought I was getting all along.  Trading back only works if you're skipping a few spots.

Hey, something going on with you big guy? Cool it with the common sense remarks ok?

Bump.

I'm kinda surprised this thread hasn't seen any action since October 1st, what with the Wings being the worst team in the league and all.

Anyway, here's Wonderwall...

Highly rated prospect Quinton Byfield on Red Wings' draft wish list [The Detroit News]

Draper and the Red Wings' scouting staff already know about No. 2-ranked Byfield, a 6-4, 215-pound center who has been compared favorably to 10-time Stanley Cup champion Jean Beliveau (Canadiens), three-time Cup champ Evgeny Malkin (Penguins) and 50-goal scorer Leon Draisaitl (Oilers).

As a 16-year-old in the Ontario Hockey League last year, Byfield was named the top rookie among the 60 teams in the Canadian Hockey League after recording 61 points in  64 games and leading the Wolves to a 48-point improvement.

This year, the 17-year-old native of Newmarket, Ontario is first in scoring in the OHL, averaging more than two points per game with 27 points in 13 games.

"He's a 6-4 center with explosive speed and those are very difficult to find and guys you covet as franchise-type guys," said Wolves general manager Rob Papineau, who played for the OHL expansion Detroit Ambassadors in 1990-91.

"He's got an unbelievable motor. He always wants the puck, hunting the puck. He goes into traffic and has incredible skill to get in there and get out. He's also a little bit old school in his true love and passion for the game."

Halloween Prospect Ramblings: Scary Starts and Stats [Dobber Prospects]

I think it’s safe to say that Alexis Lafreniere, the nearly unanimously projected first-overall pick, is good. How good? He could put together one of the highest-scoring seasons from a draft-eligible prospect ever. Sidney Crosby’s 2004-05 season with Rimouski (168 pts in 62 games, 2.7 points per game) sets the standard but it’s not inconceivable that Lafreniere could keep up his current pace and come close to Crosby’s numbers. Currently sitting at 39 pts in 16 games, Lafreniere is currently putting up 2.5 points per game. If Lafreniere can keep up his insane pace, he will have no challenge for the top overall pick, regardless of what kind of seasons Quinton Byfield, Lucas Raymond et al have.

The assist above is just one example of how good Lafreniere is playing at the moment. Dominating in the offensive zone to the point of crippling opponents chances of defending because if he isn’t able to score himself, he has set up his linemates who have been money in the bank when it comes to converting on their chances thus far in the 2019-20 season. 

Shift Work: Quinton Byfield [Dobber Prospects]

Quinton Byfield can be a dominant player at times. He has a dangerous combination of size, speed, strength, and skill. He is often able to out skate an opponent to win a puck race and then he can out muscle his way to the net front. Byfield is dangerous when he is playing aggressively and if he can continue to bring that out in his game more, he can be a dominant player at the next level as well. He already possesses the hockey IQ and vision to compete at the next level as well as an NHL-ready shot. Offensively, Byfield’s game is special because of his highly advanced puck skills and skating while also being a 6’4″, 215lbs power forward. Defensively, Byfield’s quietly been a solid 200-foot player who has good instincts and the ability to play on the penalty kill. His game is complete and effective. He should translate to the NHL quite well early on in his career.

Byfield owns one of the most intriguing combinations of physical and mental tools to come into the NHL draft in recent memory. He is truly a special talent. While it’s unlikely to happen with the way Lafreniere is playing, Byfield is on the shortlist of players who could realistically challenge for the top overall pick. Byfield would likely have to make the Canadian World Junior team and put together a solid showing and he would also have to come close to matching Lafreniere’s scoring total’s which could be nearly impossible to do. If Byfield can do it though, he will be a lock to go first overall.

2020 NHL Draft Ranking: European Prospects (November 2019) [Dobber Prospects]

1. Lucas Raymond, W – SHL (Frölunda) – 5-10, 165 lbs – Draft Range: 3-10

Jokke Nevalainen: Raymond continues to hold the top spot among Europeans because of his high-end potential. His ability to generate speed through the neutral zone is hard to miss but he’s also capable of dancing around opposing players by using his edges very well. His hands are elite and the best among this group of prospects, and it’s difficult to find anyone as creative as him. He hasn’t been given much of a chance with the SHL team but that is mostly because Frölunda has a stacked team and they’d rather use their veterans. I thought Raymond would take a run at first overall but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Nonetheless, he has a firm hold of the top spot among Europeans.

2. Alexander Holtz, W – SHL (Djurgården) – 6-0, 183 lbs – Draft Range: 3-10

Jokke Nevalainen: Holtz is the best goal-scorer among this group. He has an elite level shot and he’s excellent at making himself available for a shooting opportunity. He doesn’t need much time or space to get the shot off his stick, and his shots are always hard and accurate. But he’s not a one-dimensional goal-scorer either because he’s also an excellent playmaker who creates scoring chances for his linemates all the time. He has great awareness – he always knows where he should be and where his linemates will be. Holtz has been getting good usage in the SHL and hasn’t looked out of place at all. Both Holtz and Raymond are expected to play for Sweden at the World Juniors.

3. Tim Stützle, C/W – DEL (Mannheim) – 5-11, 165 lbs – Draft Range: 3-10

Jokke Nevalainen: Stützle has been excellent this season and he’s making a push towards top five selection. He made the jump from German juniors to DEL, and he was able to continue playing his style even at the top level – although he’s now doing it from the wing. Stützle’s game revolves around his ability to do everything extremely quickly. His hands and feet are both very quick but his brain might be even quicker because he seems to be able to make great decisions no matter the situation and how much pressure he’s getting from opposing players. His hands are very close to Raymond’s level, and one could argue his skating is the best among this group. Stützle is exciting and flashy, and he’ll be a fan favorite wherever he goes. Long-term, he has the tools to move back to center at some point but obviously it would be great to see how he fares there against men before the draft. But at least it’s likely we get to see him down the middle at the World Juniors.

Shift Work: Tim Stützle

4. Anton Lundell, C – Liiga (HIFK) – 6-1, 183 lbs – Draft Range: 3-10

Jokke Nevalainen: Lundell is the most complete player among this group. He’s an excellent two-way center who excels in reading plays and supporting his teammates in every situation, no matter if they’re trying to make an offensive or a defensive play. Lundell is a coach’s dream because he can be thrown to any situation without any worry of him hurting his team – he can kill penalties, run a power play, and play the last minutes of a game regardless if his team is leading or chasing. His offensive upside is not as good as the three players above him but his defensive game is much more developed. He’s a true team player with great effort level on the ice. He is a playmaker who can control the pace of the game but he also owns a dangerous wrist shot. Skating is his one weakness but even that has been getting better. I believe Lundell is ready to play in the NHL next season.

Prospect Deep Dive: Anton Lundell

4 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I'm kinda surprised this thread hasn't seen any action since October 1st, what with the Wings being the worst team in the league and all.

Cuz we know Ottawa's getting Lafreniere and Byfield and we'll be picking 7th? 

2020 NHL Draft Rankings and Preview -- November 2019 [Wings Nation]

1. Alexis Lafrenière, LW, Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL): The clear cut number one player in this year’s draft, Alexis Lafrenière, is a borderline generational talent*. It’s hard to say what Lafrenière does well because there’s so much, virtually strong in every facet of the game. He is a strong skater with a solid base that lets him skate powerfully along the ice and excel in board battles and on the cycle. He has speed through the neutral zone that allows him to be a one-man transition machine. He has elite vision, able to find teammates all over the ice in dangerous scoring areas. His shot is fantastic and he locates it with proficiency.

Lafrenière is a do-it-all player who won’t need to rely on a player who fishes the puck out of piles or wins races to loose pucks because he does that too. He is an “Elite skilled grinder” in the same mold and playing style of former Rimouski star Sidney Crosby (stylistically, not a direct comparison). Lafrenière will change the fortunes of whatever team is lucky enough to win the lottery and select the future franchise player.

2. Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury Wolves (OHL): The top center in this draft class, Quinton Byfield blends a tantalizing mix of size, speed, strength, and skill. There isn’t a more intriguing overall package in this draft. Byfield has been compared to Eric Lindros for a few years now, as the 6’4″, 215lbs 17-year-old has towered over his competition, both in terms of physical size and ability. Despite being on a very weak Sudbury Wolves team last season, Byfield was nearly at a point-per-game as a 16-year-old in the OHL. He has one of the best shots in this draft class and the ability to change a game in an instant with it. He has a sturdy base that allows him to protect the puck and do virtually whatever he wants, even with defenders constantly on his back.

Byfield’s skating ability is almost unfair for a player of his size. His ability to transition the puck from his own zone to the offensive zone is remarkable and he does a great job of identifying the opening on a play. Whether the game calls for him to drive the net or stop-up and find the trailing player, Byfield has the skill set to dominate with size, speed, and strength to do so at will.

3. Lucas Raymond, LW/RW, Frölunda HC J20/Frölunda HC (SuperElit/SHL): One of the most fun players to watch from this group, Lucas Raymond does an outstanding job of creating offense. He has the ability to weave in and out of traffic while attacking the dangerous areas of the ice. His hockey IQ is unreal. He sees the ice a step ahead of players who already think a step ahead. His dynamic skating is immediately noticeable. Raymond is one of the best playmakers in this draft class and isn’t afraid to show his creativity with the puck. He has lightning-quick hands and the ability to keep the puck on a string at high speeds. Raymond has unreal vision and can be a flashy playmaker. He has the ability to make cross-ice passes through traffic and the understanding that it isn’t always the best play.

Don’t mistake the shifty winger as just a playmaker though, he has a great wrist shot that he isn’t afraid to use which makes him a legitimate scoring threat at any level. He is currently playing in the SuperElit (Swedish junior league) after starting the year in the SHL (Swedish men’s league). He wasn’t getting adequate playing time so they elected to send him down. He had the skill to compete at the SHL level but the coaching staff didn’t want to play a young kid top-six minutes.

4. Anton Lundell, C, HIFK (Liiga): Anton Lundell is the most complete player in this draft class. He is responsible defensively and has the offensive tools to put his team up on the scoreboard offensively. His 200-foot game is NHL-ready and his offensive game isn’t far behind. Some evaluators have deemed him offensively-conservative and not dynamic but the young Finn has produced at every level, including the Liiga where he currently has five goals and nine points in just 16 games. This is impressive considering the fact that the Liiga is a top-five league in the world and he’s doing this as a just-turned 18-year-old.

Lundell’s shot is electric. He has a quick release and can get it off effortlessly in stride. He has great hands in tight and excels in the cycle game. His defensive play is what bumps him into the upper tiers of this draft class, however. He is able to play against tough competition, and not only hold his own, but win that battle and still produce offense. He plays a mature game that will translate to the NHL quickly.

5. Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgårdens IF (SHL): Alexander Holtz has been the running mate of Lucas Raymond at all international events for years. Now, Holtz has taken his talents to Djurgårdens in the SHL and has been producing without his best friend. With six goals in 19 total games with Djurgårdens, Holtz has proven to be a reliable goal scorer for the Swedish club.

Holtz has the best shot in this draft and could challenge for a Rocket Richard trophy in the future. He scores in a variety of ways, whether it’s with his deadly wrist shot off the rush or cleaning up garbage around the net, he just has a nose for the net. Holtz’s one-timer is a dangerous weapon — specifically on the powerplay — where he is able to play an Ovechkin/Laine type role of drawing defenders in towards him. His powerplay presence forces the opposition to stay honest, opening up space for his teammates without removing his ability to be the most dangerous weapon on the ice.

Holtz is also a capable playmaker who is able to find his teammates when he doesn’t have the time and/or space to get his shot off. The only issue is he doesn’t need a lot of either to put the puck past the netminder.

6. Tim Stützle, C/W, Adler Mannheim (DEL): The fast-rising German was outside of the top-31 for many at the start of the year, mostly because analysts still didn’t know how playing at the DEL-level would translate to the NHL. I think it’s safe to say that the skill set that Tim Stützle brings is too good to ignore. Playing for the same team that the Red Wings 2019 first-round pick, Moritz Seider, played for in Adler Mannheim, Stützle has been putting on a show.  He is currently on a point-per-game pace and his raw skills are mouth-watering.

Stützle is an elite skater who can stop-and-start on a dime. He has the ability to embarrass defenders with his quick feet, superb edge work, and agility. He takes unique routes around the offensive zone, staying unpredictable and dangerous. He has a predatory nature to his game. He is creative offensively and does a good job of keeping his opponents on their toes.

1 minute ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

umm flat NO to Lafreniere as we already have a number 11 to "fill the net" at least Byfield wears 55 and that number is now available. 

....and if you think I am serious you need to check the sarcasm meter on your browser

*suspicion intensifies*

In the past 10 years there have been a few 1st overall picks who I thought were clearly worth tanking for at the time: Tavares, Hall, McDavid, Matthews, and Dahlin. I missed the mark on MacKinnon and Ekblad I guess, but oh well.

Lafren to me is clearly in the group of must haves. He's def not a RNH, Yakupov, Hughes, Hischier in my book.

So we picked a good year to be awful. Lafren is worth going for... but we're up against Ottawa, the biggest disaster of a team in 300 years. And they have 2 possible lottery picks. Out tanking them will be like trying to herd cats.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

In the past 10 years there have been a few 1st overall picks who I thought were clearly worth tanking for at the time: Tavares, Hall, McDavid, Matthews, and Dahlin. I missed the mark on MacKinnon and Ekblad I guess, but oh well.

Lafren to me is clearly in the group of must haves. He's def not a RNH, Yakupov, Hughes, Hischier in my book.

So we picked a good year to be awful. Lafren is worth going for... but we're up against Ottawa, the biggest disaster of a team in 300 years. And they have 2 possible lottery picks. Out tanking them will be like trying to herd cats.

We just have to hope the Sharks turn it around. Because the way the Wings have been, Lafreniere should be our destiny. 

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Look at Ottawas contract situation too. Almost every contract has 1 year left. They are positioned to sell and take tanking to a whole new level. Meanwhile we're loaded with unsellable long term contracts.

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Look at Ottawas contract situation too. Almost every contract has 1 year left. They are positioned to sell and take tanking to a whole new level. Meanwhile we're loaded with unsellable long term contracts.

Luckily our unsellable contracts are garbage players that will ensure suckage. If we start playing well, sell disney.com.  

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Crafty SOBs.....