• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

So I have to ask...Is there another player in this upcoming draft that comes in as a 'close 2nd' to Lafreniere, or are the picks from 2 thru 4 a very 'distant' group?

Consensus says there is definitely separation between Lafreniere and the rest. There are probably 3 or 4 guys that could go first had it not been the Lafreniere draft. Byfield has been the consensus #2 for a while, and I'm not convinced there is a single person out there who would choose Byfield at #1. 

Only time could tell how distant the 2-4 group will be. Lafreneie is one of those players who will likely make an immediate NHL impact at 18 years old. Others may take a year or two. So while some of these players may close that gap over the years, Lafreneiere will be in the league earlier and become an impact NHL player at a younger age. 

A good comparison is McDavid and Eichel. For the record, I'm not saying Lafreniere will be McDavid level. But McDavid was a great NHL player immediately. He was scoring more than a point per game as an 18 year old. Eichel hit a point per game level in his fourth season, so it took him a bit of time to start to dominate at this level, as most high end players do. So while both are great players, there was a big gap early on, Eichel has certainly narrowed said gap since. Of course, there is still no doubt McDavid is in a league of his own. 

In the end, only time will tell.

On 2/20/2020 at 11:46 AM, F.Michael said:

So I have to ask...Is there another player in this upcoming draft that comes in as a 'close 2nd' to Lafreniere, or are the picks from 2 thru 4 a very 'distant' group?

On 2/20/2020 at 12:01 PM, marcaractac said:

Consensus says there is definitely separation between Lafreniere and the rest. There are probably 3 or 4 guys that could go first had it not been the Lafreniere draft. Byfield has been the consensus #2 for a while, and I'm not convinced there is a single person out there who would choose Byfield at #1. 

Only time could tell how distant the 2-4 group will be. Lafreneie is one of those players who will likely make an immediate NHL impact at 18 years old. Others may take a year or two. So while some of these players may close that gap over the years, Lafreneiere will be in the league earlier and become an impact NHL player at a younger age. 

A good comparison is McDavid and Eichel. For the record, I'm not saying Lafreniere will be McDavid level. But McDavid was a great NHL player immediately. He was scoring more than a point per game as an 18 year old. Eichel hit a point per game level in his fourth season, so it took him a bit of time to start to dominate at this level, as most high end players do. So while both are great players, there was a big gap early on, Eichel has certainly narrowed said gap since. Of course, there is still no doubt McDavid is in a league of his own. 

In the end, only time will tell.

Pretty much what marc said.

For what it's worth, I do think you can make a strong case for the top of this draft class being unusually deep.

Consider:

• Tim Stutzle is a 0.82 PPG player in a men's league (Germany's DEL); he would crush CHL competition.
  • Anton Lundell is a 0.68 PPG centerman in a top men's league (Finland's Liiga); he would crush CHL competition.
  • Alexander Holtz is a 0.48 PPG player in a top men's league (Sweden's SHL); he would crush CHL competition.
  • Lucas Raymond has shown he can hold his own in a top men's league (Sweden's SHL); he would crush CHL competition.
  • Lafreniere and Marco Rossi (he of 100 points in 47 OHL games) are relatively old and should probably be playing against men this season.
  • Quinton Byfield, the consensus #2, is relatively young; if you age him forward to Lafreniere's age (nearly a full year), the Lafreniere-versus-Byfield debate would likely be much more interesting.
  • Jamie Drysdale is a point-per-game linchpin defenseman in the OHL. This season he became the youngest defenseman to play for Canada at the WJC since Jay Bouwmeester in 2002.

I'm on the Elite Prospects page, checking out potential draft picks. Sure I'd like Alexis Lafreniere, but Quinton Byfield at 6'4 215, looks like a good consolation prize. Marco Rossi, Jamie Drysdale, and Cole Perfetti would work for me too. Whatever position we get, we'll get a great player.

1 minute ago, Barrie said:

I'm on the Elite Prospects page, checking out potential draft picks. Sure I'd like Alexis Lafreniere, but Quinton Byfield at 6'4 215, looks like a good consolation prize. Marco Rossi, Jamie Drysdale, and Cole Perfetti would work for me too. Whatever position we get, we'll get a great player.

Yep. We're guaranteed a top 4 pick. And if we don't get Lafreniere, there's 3 other guys I am very excited about.

I mean, I know the prize is Lafreniere, but c'mon man! Look at the stats of the other guys here! I'd hate to "lose" the lottery, but I thinkI would be fine with any of these guys!

Stutzle has nearly a point a game in men's league! 

and if we went D

Edited by LeftWinger

17 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I mean, I know the prize is Lafreniere, but c'mon man! Look at the stats of the other guys here! I'd hate to "lose" the lottery, but I thinkI would be fine with any of these guys!

image.png.fea8dad3783fa4ebe7ea484d0eebfae2.png

and if we went D

image.png.6d305a5637e3db52d161303ca7d8ac58.png

Damn, I mean Lafreniere really isn't much better than Perfetti or Rossi scoring wise, and 31 pts in 37 games is very impressive for Stutzle. Maybe we should save our luck and just take the L on this one. I want Rossi or Stutzle for the German connection.

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Damn, I mean Lafreniere really isn't much better than Perfetti or Rossi scoring wise, and 31 pts in 37 games is very impressive for Stutzle. Maybe we should save our luck and just take the L on this one. I want Rossi or Stutzle for the German connection.

Then make a deal for Bokk!

15 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

and if we went D

As for Drysdale, he is also very young like Byfield. 

On 2/26/2020 at 4:45 PM, LeftWinger said:

and if we went D

First time I've heard Jack Quinn's name.

We'll get #1, Ottawa will get 2, 3, and then whatever they get from Isles. Ottawa will want the #1, so we'll gladly take the #2, and #3 along with Erik Brannstrom.  THEN, LA, with the #4 will want that #2 to draft Byfield, so then we'll take the #4 from them along with their 2020 2nd and Fagemo.

So this is what it looks like!

to OTT : 2020 1st (frm DET) #1 overall (Lafrienere)

to LAK : 2020 1st (frm DET via OTT) #2 overall (Byfield)

to DET : 2 2020 1st (frm OTT (#2 & #3 OA, #2 traded to LAK) and LAK) #3 (Rossi) and #4 overall (Stutzle) Erik Brannstrom, 2020 2nd(frm LAK) #33 overall (Mavrik Bourque,) Samuel Fagemo.

Shoots and Scores!!!

8 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

We'll get #1, Ottawa will get 2, 3, and then whatever they get from Isles. Ottawa will want the #1, so we'll gladly take the #2, and #3 along with Erik Brannstrom.  THEN, LA, with the #4 will want that #2 to draft Byfield, so then we'll take the #4 from them along with their 2020 2nd and Fagemo.

So this is what it looks like!

to OTT : 2020 1st (frm DET) #1 overall (Lafrienere)

to LAK : 2020 1st (frm DET via OTT) #2 overall (Byfield)

to DET : 2 2020 1st (frm OTT (#2 & #3 OA, #2 traded to LAK) and LAK) #3 (Rossi) and #4 overall (Stutzle) Erik Brannstrom, 2020 2nd(frm LAK) #33 overall (Mavrik Bourque,) Samuel Fagemo.

Shoots and Scores!!!

No one is trading lottery picks

15 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

No one is trading lottery picks

if they want the player bad enough, and Lafrienere is that player, they will offer. This guy could be the next McDavid or he could struggle like Jack Hughes. You have to listen to offers, and if you really want the player, you will trade your lottery pick for another. It can happen.