• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

I mean, I get it. The fact that this proposal is even being discussed right now kinda makes it look like the powers that be are trying to engineer a corporate bailout for the Wings. They could be saying to themselves:

"Lots of empty seats at the LCA this season, in a good economy. The economy's probably gonna be s*** for a year or two, maybe more. So, we're looking at the real possibility that LCA's going to be empty every night for a while. Even the corporate bulk sales would dry up. We expect some franchises to be black holes every year and we expect Detroit to be an economic engine every year. These expectations are baked into all our projections, all our models -- our whole business plan. We have to save that franchise."

Sean McIndoe is a dirty Leafs fan, but he's not necessarily wrong here:

Fortunately, being a Leafs fan, Sean is able to see what really matters here, which is that several stupid non-Detroit Atlantic teams would be getting screwed:

No ones hates the Wings in the year 2020. Not even Leafs fans. The Wings are completely irrelevant. Give us our handout and let your hearts be gladdened by the tears of Frenchies and fake Americans in Buffalo. Hell, I'm not even sure long-suffering Sens fans can really hate on this proposal, as the absolute worst they could do is owning 3rd and 4th overall.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I mean, I get it. The fact that this proposal is even being discussed right now kinda makes it look like the powers that be are trying to engineer a corporate bailout for the Wings. They could be saying to themselves:

"Lots of empty seats at the LCA this season, in a good economy. The economy's probably gonna be s*** for a year or two, maybe more. So, we're looking at the real possibility that LCA's going to be empty every night for a while. Even the corporate bulk sales would dry up. We expect some franchises to be black holes every year and we expect Detroit to be an economic engine every year. These expectations are baked into all our projections, all our models -- our whole business plan. We have to save that franchise."

Sean McIndoe is a dirty Leafs fan, but he's not necessarily wrong here:

Fortunately, being a Leafs fan, Sean is able to see what really matters here, which is that several stupid non-Detroit Atlantic teams would be getting screwed:

No ones hates the Wings in the year 2020. Not even Leafs fans. The Wings are completely irrelevant. Give us our handout and let your hearts be gladdened by the tears of Frenchies and fake Americans in Buffalo. Hell, I'm not even sure long-suffering Sens fans can really hate on this proposal, as the absolute worst they could do is owning 3rd and 4th overall.

I love all of this!!!

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

You is hot, Scully, let's do the sex.

Call me crazy, but I actually think she looked hotter in the recent reboot.

Also, the league has been Toronto-centric forever and the Leafs still cant win a Cup in over 50 years. They can shut up.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

5 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

seriously Mirtle stfu. I'm trying to get an easy 1st OA pick here. 

For real though I hate the current lottery system and will be thrilled to see it adjusted. 

I get why they have it though...Teams like Minnesota...They either squeak into the playoffs, and lose in the 1st round, or they miss out by a handful of points, and land somewhere 10th thru 15th (usually not having a shot at a legit high-end, or generational talent).

There's always that slim chance they could drop into the top 3 with the current lottery...But yeah - who the f**k cares about Minny?

:lol:

55 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The only thing worse than being hated, is being pitied.

If this little Yzer-scam gets us a 1-2 overall AND back to hate level, I'm all for it.

A poster over at HF Boards put up a good question...

Lets say this 'bottom 5' lotto does go thru...Ottawa ends up winning, Detroit in 2nd, Ottawa 3rd...

Does Grand Master Y trade the 2nd overall pick to Ottawa for the 3rd PLUS 21st, and 33rd picks?

2 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Lets say this 'bottom 5' lotto does go thru...Ottawa ends up winning, Detroit in 2nd, Ottawa 3rd...

Does Grand Master Y trade the 2nd overall pick to Ottawa for the 3rd PLUS 21st, and 33rd picks?

No. I'd rather have Stutzle/Rossi/Drysdale + 21st and 33rd than just Byfield

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Technically you're correct. I more meant no - the trade wouldn't happen.

There's a reason top 5-10 pick moving never happens. It's very hard to do.

True - however me thinks this draft year has the potential for sumthin interesting to happen.

I could see Yzerman doing it for obvious reasons, but not sure if Ottawa would...They would have to really want Byfield bad.

Edited by F.Michael

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Of course SY would. Ottawa wouldnt do it tho. Why would they?

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Of course SY would. Ottawa wouldnt do it tho. Why would they?

Well - it would depend how the Sens feel about Byfield...Do they see him as  the best center by a significant margin, and worth giving up the extra late 1st, and early 2nd rounds picks to get him?

They might feel Lafreniere/Byfield could be their future version of a  Crosby/Malkin, or McDavid/Draisaitl  combo.

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Well - it would depend how the Sens feel about Byfield...Do they see him as  the best center by a significant margin, and worth giving up the extra late 1st, and early 2nd rounds picks to get him?

They might feel Lafreniere/Byfield could be their future version of a  Crosby/Malkin, or McDavid/Draisaitl  combo.

It is Ottawa after all

7 hours ago, F.Michael said:

I'd take that trade for sure!

11 hours ago, F.Michael said:

True - however me thinks this draft year has the potential for sumthin interesting to happen.

I could see Yzerman doing it for obvious reasons, but not sure if Ottawa would...They would have to really want Byfield bad.

100% yes, but with all the same caveats that everyone else has.  Ottawa doesn't do it.  Trading back one spot almost never happens for obvious reasons.  Usually you have to move back a couple spots so that one team can leapfrog two others.

That said, I'd still entertain this trade if we had the 2nd pick and wanted to trade it to whomever had the 4th plus their 2nd rounder.