• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

I'm not sure why the NHL went to this every loser team gets a shot at #1 approach. To watch a team like the Redwings on ice every night with only an 18% chance at the number one slot seems like a horrid system to begin with. I hate the lottery format, everything is behind the scenes and seems very manipulated. GMs, ownership and the league should have a straight forward you finish last you pick first approach so there is no underlying doubt about any situation. The NFL has mastered the draft process, wish the NHL would follow suit.

On 5/15/2020 at 3:02 PM, LeftWinger said:

now with the rumor of a 24 team playoff, that leaves 7 teams in the draft lottery.  Only two more, I am sure there will still be rule changes about how many spots you can drop or jump.  With only 7 teams, how fair is it that you still may be able to drop 3 spots? I like our odds, but it still gives perennial tankers like New Jersey and Buffalo a shot at #1 yet AGAIN! They should make sure that a team cannot move up more than 4. That means NJ and Buffalo won't get a shot at #1, but NJ could get #2, and Buffalo could get #3, which should be ok with them. Teams cannot drop more than 2 would be a good thing as well. that way Detroit and Ottawa won't be getting screwed. Even if NJ jumped to 2 and we fell to 3, I think all parties should be ok with that.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:38 PM, MileHighWingsGuy said:

I'm not sure why the NHL went to this every loser team gets a shot at #1 approach. To watch a team like the Redwings on ice every night with only an 18% chance at the number one slot seems like a horrid system to begin with. I hate the lottery format, everything is behind the scenes and seems very manipulated. GMs, ownership and the league should have a straight forward you finish last you pick first approach so there is no underlying doubt about any situation. The NFL has mastered the draft process, wish the NHL would follow suit.

TBH, I've never had very strong opinions about lotto formats.

I'm 33 years old. I started following the Wings in '94. Point being: Prior to this rebuild, I never really had any reason to get super-invested in this stuff. Even now, a few years into our rebuild, with no lotto luck to speak of...I can't muster up legit hatred for the 15-team lotto. And even now, with the Wings coming off a historically bad season and the whole fan base being trolled with the possibility of a guaranteed top-two pick...I'm just kinda rolling with it, I guess. I dunno.

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

I'm 33 years old. I started following the Wings in '94. Point being: Prior to this rebuild, I never really had any reason to get super-invested in this stuff. Even now, a few years into our rebuild, with no lotto luck to speak of...I can't muster up legit hatred for the 15-team lotto. And even now, with the Wings coming off a historically bad season and the whole fan base being trolled with the possibility of a guaranteed top-two pick...I'm just kinda rolling with it, I guess. I dunno.

Don't you have some kind of powers that will give us first pick? IDK I know nothing about DBZ.

15 hours ago, Dabura said:

I don't really care to be honest. It was painful to watch this last year and do take issue with teams close to the playoffs butt hurt because they don't have a shot at the top pick. If you have a team as bad as the Wings were you should have better than 18% odds.

17 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Don't you have some kind of powers that will give us first pick? IDK I know nothing about DBZ.

No. You're confusing me with Taylor Hall, who is the primary antagonist of DBZ.

7 hours ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

I don't really care to be honest. It was painful to watch this last year and do take issue with teams close to the playoffs butt hurt because they don't have a shot at the top pick. If you have a team as bad as the Wings were you should have better than 18% odds.

I hear ya. :(

For what it's worth...

I still maintain if they go with a 7 team lottery, it is unfair for a team to fall 3 spots. IMO The most a team can fall is 1 and the most a team can climb is 4. So again, that would put Detroit at #1 if teams 6 or 7 get picked.  There is no other way to do it. Ottawa can only fall to 3 & 4, Detroit can only fall to 2. ANY team 1-5 can win. This is when Bettman should tell them to shove it.

I am very interested in seeing a 24 team playoff though! Would it still be 4 rounds? Would it take more than 16 wins for The Cup? I wonder how that would work, would certain teams get a bye in the first Round Robin.  24 teams - 12 teams - 6 - 3?

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I am very interested in seeing a 24 team playoff though! Would it still be 4 rounds? Would it take more than 16 wins for The Cup? I wonder how that would work, would certain teams get a bye in the first Round Robin.  24 teams - 12 teams - 6 - 3?

I´ve read somewhere, that there was the idea of  a 16 team best of five and 8 teams get a bye. after that best of seven rounds

2 hours ago, ely s said:

I´ve read somewhere, that there was the idea of  a 16 team best of five and 8 teams get a bye. after that best of seven rounds

That would make the playoffs 2 weeks longer than they already are making them 10 weeks long. Even if they started first week of June, the Stanley Cup winner wouldn't be determined until mid August. I don't see how this is a viable scenario.

12 hours ago, Dabura said:

People were saying that it was unrealistic to expect any big announcements today and that Tuesday (tomorrow) would probably be the day for a news drop. So maybe we'll get some closure tomorrow, or at least a solid update.

As I said in another thread - me thinks the BoG wants an expanded draft lottery which would include more teams - likely those that are 'booted' early from the 24 team playoff format.

It's not surprising...Too many cooks in the kitchen.

44 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

As I said in another thread - me thinks the BoG wants an expanded draft lottery which would include more teams - likely those that are 'booted' early from the 24 team playoff format.

It's not surprising...Too many cooks in the kitchen.

I think its teams nr 17 to 24 that both wants to be in the playoffs and still be eligible for the lottery when/if they get knocked out in the first round. 

edit; just realized I just repeated what you said. :crazy:

I could add that those teams can f*** off. Choose either playoffs or lottery. Thats it. 

Edited by Akakabuto

54 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

I think its teams nr 17 to 24 that both wants to be in the playoffs and still be eligible for the lottery when/if they get knocked out in the first round. 

edit; just realized I just repeated what you said. :crazy:

I could add that those teams can f*** off. Choose either playoffs or lottery. Thats it. 

The thing is, it wouldn't work. Because teams in the 9-16 range can get bounced in that first round. If a team is in the playoffs, even if it's a one game showdown, there should absolutely not be a draft lottery position for them. The current system is a sham as is, and this would make it even more of a joke.  

NHL Draft Pick Probabilities [Dobber Prospects]

Whenever an NHL draft is approaching, the excitement level and hype around the players go through the roof. It’s an exciting time for sure but it seems like most people don’t have realistic expectations when it comes to the draft. To help with that, I decided to look at a 10-year span of draft classes to see how many NHL players have come out of those and what are the odds of finding an NHL player in each round of the draft.

I don't read The Athletic, but I know a number of you do, so here's a piece:

How much the NHL Draft lottery could affect the Red Wings' rebuild timeline [The Athletic]

The Red Wings should land an impact player anywhere from Nos. 1-4. But to turn things around fastest? The higher they choose, the better.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

"High picks good" solid take Maximum Buttman

Pittsburgh's 1st draftees from 2004/05 say "Really Max high draft picks matter?" Didn't help us at all(insert rolleyes) as we polish our cup rings during quarantine. 

10 hours ago, Dabura said:

I've officially lost my patience. Governors need to get their s*** straight. I'm in agreement with those saying organizations have to choose playoffs or lotto. I'm not 100% convinced that's the real holdup...but, yeah, it probably is. Or is at least a big part of it.

Same. Ball is being dropped here. 

On 5/22/2020 at 4:15 AM, MileHighWingsGuy said:

Hope Yzerman is ready for this draft. 6 picks in the first 65 could be huge for this team.

Indeed. Top-4 pick + Lots of picks + Yzerman's decent track record of finding good players outside of the prime 1st round territory = HYPE!

We have to crush this draft; this rebuild needs a serious shot in the arm.

I agree with Ryan:

Like I've said, I generally don't have particularly strong opinions about lotto formatting. But if they go ahead with a 24-team postseason and they don't mirror the hugely boosted Cup chances they're gifting eight teams with hugely boosted odds for the two or three worst teams in the league, they can eat a bag pucks. And, yeah, if you can pull new rules out of your ass for the Crosby draft (because of unusual circumstances), you can do it for the Lafreniere draft (because of unusual circumstances).

"You're only upset because you're a Wings fan."

I mean, yeah, kinda.

This draft was hugely important for us before the season was halted and it's just as hugely important for us here in late May. Given that, I'd interpret a 24-team postseason + no huge boost for us re: lotto odds as a spiritual mini-sequel to the implementation of the salary cap (and the bulls*** retroactive cap recapture penalty). "We can't sign off on a plan that helps out the Wings (and Sens), but let's add eight teams to the playoffs. Oh, also, you'd best believe we want some playoff teams to be eligible for the lotto. We're gonna have our cake and eat it. The Wings, well, maybe they shouldn't have sucked so bad."

(Flashback to salary cap negotations: "It's simply not fair that this league has a few haves and a whole lot of have-nots. Detroit shouldn't have been able to buy a Cup, but that's exactly what they did in 2002. We're laboring under a system that favors some franchises and penalizes others. We need to erase that gap. We need parity.")

This didn't bother me a week ago, as I honestly believed that the playoffs weren't even going to happen -- and that even if they did, it probably wouldn't be 24 teams. While everything is still up in the air, I can now see that there is a very clear path to the Wings getting shafted if The Majority is so inclined.