• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

It looks like along with the bottom 7, any 8 of the below teams will all have a shot at the top 3 picks. I call it BS and hope that the team(s) that deserve it most get the players. NO WAY does Pit deserve a shot at #1.  I know they traded the their 1st but it is non-playoff protected and is they lose the play in round, they have the option to send the 2021 pick instead... BS!

Edited by LeftWinger

9 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

It looks like along with the bottom 7, any 8 of the below teams will all have a shot at the top 3 picks. I call it BS and hope that the team(s) that deserve it most get the players. NO WAY does Pit deserve a shot at #1.  I know they traded the their 1st but it is non-playoff protected and is they lose the play in round, they have the option to send the 2021 pick instead... BS!

image.png.73b068abfe455dc29222b096454aaf93.png

image.png.3d39ddf6e89df535f69a4ec56fc2aab8.png

thanks i hate it

On 6/9/2020 at 7:09 PM, Dabura said:

thanks i hate it

Right?!  I think it's ridiculous that they get a shot at the #1 pick, parody?  not so much.  I read before this that Detroit was guaranteed a top 4 top pick, is this still a thing or can we drop lower now?  

...Also WTF is with the essay writing takeover, Ive never seen one so aggressive.  Quite frankly I miss the Russian erotics

5 hours ago, 13dangledangle said:

Right?!  I think it's ridiculous that they get a shot at the #1 pick, parody?  not so much.  I read before this that Detroit was guaranteed a top 4 top pick, is this still a thing or can we drop lower now?

TBH, I'm not 100% versed in exactly how this lotto is gonna work. All I really know is 1) the farthest we can slide is 4th and 2) some teams are going to get to participate in the playoffs (even if we're not calling the play-in round part of the playoffs, it basically is) while also being eligible for the draft lotto if they get knocked out in the play-in round. That second part is what pisses me and a lot of Wings fans off. The Wings are coming off a horrific season and the NHL's contorting itself to help bubble teams.

15 hours ago, Dabura said:

TBH, I'm not 100% versed in exactly how this lotto is gonna work. All I really know is 1) the farthest we can slide is 4th and 2) some teams are going to get to participate in the playoffs (even if we're not calling the play-in round part of the playoffs, it basically is) while also being eligible for the draft lotto if they get knocked out in the play-in round. That second part is what pisses me and a lot of Wings fans off. The Wings are coming off a horrific season and the NHL's contorting itself to help bubble teams.

Yeah I dont get how more of a stink wouldnt have been made about it, the 8 teams playing "to be in the playoffs" should 100% not get a shot at the 1st pick, its ludicrous.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Detroit will draft no lower than 4th. So one of Lafrienere, Drysdale, Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi, Perfetti or Raymond. I think we'll be ok at #4. 

image.png.d88b56e20a3927d2bd193ffdcd963052.png

image.png.8c7a78843ceaaffb57cafaba7ca9333c.png

Lets hope it turns out this way though!

I just hope Yzerman and his crew have done their homework. Gotta knock this pick out of the park.

On 6/11/2020 at 11:54 AM, 13dangledangle said:

...Also WTF is with the essay writing takeover, Ive never seen one so aggressive.  Quite frankly I miss the Russian erotics

I don’t think “parody” means what you think it means... 

11 hours ago, BringBack19 said:

I don’t think “parody” means what you think it means... 

I used it horribly, some of my favorite movies are parodys.  This whole draft seems to be a mockery, a spoof if you will of a normal NHL draft, yet still not funny to me.      

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

Honesty, when it comes down to the playoff format and giving teams that are "IN" also the shot at #1 OA, I do think 'Parody" is a very appropriate way to describe it! :lol:

It wasnt all lost!  It could very well be a parody, just not a funny one.  Somewhat like my joke

The Billion Dollar Question: Has giving 15 teams a shot at a top-three pick actually helped combat shameless tanking and fostered Parity?

Maybe it's too early in the experiment to reach any solid conclusions, but...I kinda feel like the answer is no. The Wings are coming off a historically awful season. The Sens went all-in on a cynical/realistic blowup and nuked their roster from orbit. A couple years ago the Avs were dreadful. The Devils are back to being a Mickey Mouse team. The Sabres are the Sabres. It took the Oilers this long to get their act together. Point is: Teams sucking is very much still a thing.

"Yes, but GMs and owners understand that they can't necessarily count on the draft bailing them out."

OK...but has that actually changed the equation in a meaningful way?

Yzerman could've added players who are better than Filppula and Nemeth. He didn't. Why didn't he? I think you could make the case that he sat on his hands because he decided the Wings "had to" suck this season. Why did the Wings "have to" suck? Because the Wings need a superstar and you have to draft that kind of player, and you can't expect to find that player outside the top 3 in any given draft. Hardcore sucking wouldn't guarantee us the 1st overall pick, but apparently that's a moot point, as it seems to me the mentality at the top of this organization's pecking order is "We want the best shot at 1st overall that we can give ourselves." And the Wings aren't exactly unique in this regard.

"Everyone has to spend some time at the bottom" is, to me, a euphemistic way of saying "Tanking is still a thing. And, in fact, the way things are set up now, we've actually created an ecosystem where tanking is an institutionalized necessity."

There are counterpoints, of course. I like that the Isles flipped reality the bird and said, "Screw you all. We went out and got Barry Trotz because we have no interest in being a basement team. Our mediocre-ass team is making the playoffs this season." I like that the Coyotes and Canucks have been patient and seem to be on the verge of turning things around, all without hardcore tanking and a single recent top-three pick between them.

At the end of the day, it's on the GMs and owners and coaches and players and scouts. The Detroit Red Wings haven't been victimized by the draft lotto. They don't have to play the tank game. No one's forcing Yzerman to not go playoffs-or-bust.

I guess my point is that Yzerman, like any GM, is a pretty smart guy who hates losing and believes in the importance of integrity...so, for him or any other GM to be like "Yeah, we're gonna be bad for a while. What can you do, y'know? It's just the way it is. [shrug] No sense in adding marquee UFAs at this time"...that sucks, man. I don't like it. I've never liked incentivized tanking. The more I think about it, the less convinced I am that the 15-team lotto system actually disincentivizes tanking in any measurable, meaningful way.

wxa422x8w0d21.jpg

I think "tanking" will be there no matter what draft/lotto format. It is always gonna be necessary for teams to get rid of the old, bring in the young and start anew. Especially under a salary cap-system where chasing the cup for a longer period of time will probably f*** up your cap structure. 

5 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

The true path to glory is grabbing a star at pick 31 +

^^This. Exhibit A: the Oilers.

Edited by Akakabuto

6 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

I think "tanking" will be there no matter what draft/lotto format. It is always gonna be necessary for teams to get rid of the old, bring in the young and start anew. Especially under a salary cap-system where chasing the cup for a longer period of time will probably f*** up your cap structure.

Agreed. I'm just salty because my awful team is probably gonna get bent over by Parity at the draft lotto.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Agreed. I'm just salty because my awful team is probably gonna get bent over by Parity at the draft lotto.

True parity is giving the worst team the best pick. The NHL's parity is artificial, with its leading cause led by loser points in games. 

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

True parity is giving the worst team the best pick. The NHL's parity is artificial, with its leading cause led by loser points in games. 

When the lottery is held behind closed doors it gets even more artificial. The whole NHL lottery system is horrid. 

2 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Remind me. What was the reasoning behind introducing the lottery in the first place? Was it solely to stop teams(Edmonton) from tanking?

Because, if so, it did not work.

Edited by Akakabuto

43 minutes ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

When the lottery is held behind closed doors it gets even more artificial. The whole NHL lottery system is horrid. 

It's not held behind closed doors. Each lottery team has someone present for the draw to ensure no shenanigans.

30 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Remind me. What was the reasoning behind introducing the lottery in the first place? Was it solo to stop teams(Edmonton) from tanking?

Because, if so, it did not work.

Correct and correct. 

Best and Worst Teams at Finding NHL Players from the Draft [Dobber Prospects]

[ . . . ] I’ve often been asked which teams have been the most successful at finding NHL players from the draft. It took me a while to figure out how to answer that question but I finally figured out a way to do it fairly.

I didn’t have any expectations going into this analysis. But looking at the results, I can understand why Detroit managed to have continued success for such a long period of time. Obviously their success was built around star players like Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk, both of whom were drafted in the 1990s, so they weren’t included in this analysis. But they managed to find new NHL players consistently despite not having high draft picks and trading away picks for playoff runs.

No earth-shattering revelations here, but news is slow.

Edited by Dabura