• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

23 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

10 more days until we find out if we draft Lafrienere or not!

I am prepping for a worst case scenario  i.e. 4th.  Therefore when we get anything above 4 I can be super happy. If we get stuck @ 4 then I have already prepared so my day isn't ruined.

In the span of about a month, I've gone from not caring about the lotto format to absolutely hating it. lol. I've also gone from thinking I won't be too disappointed with 3rd or 4th overall to realizing 3rd or 4th overall would crush me. To have the kind of season we just had and not even get Lafreniere or Byfield out of it...ugh.

I'm trying really hard to not get my hopes up. But I want to believe. (ノಥДಥ)ノ

19 minutes ago, Dabura said:

In the span of about a month, I've gone from not caring about the lotto format to absolutely hating it. lol. I've also gone from thinking I won't be too disappointed with 3rd or 4th overall to realizing 3rd or 4th overall would crush me. To have the kind of season we just had and not even get Lafreniere or Byfield out of it...ugh.

I'm trying really hard to not get my hopes up. But I want to believe. (ノಥДಥ)ノ

As long as we're drafting top 3 I think I'll be OK. But we have to get one of Lafreniere, Byfield, or Stutzle. 

7 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

I am prepping for a worst case scenario  i.e. 4th.  Therefore when we get anything above 4 I can be super happy. If we get stuck @ 4 then I have already prepared so my day isn't ruined.

At worst you're getting Byfield, Stutzle,  or Rossi. I wouldn't get too upset.

22 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

As long as we're drafting top 3 I think I'll be OK. But we have to get one of Lafreniere, Byfield, or Stutzle. 

Lafreniere's a lock for 1st overall. I've gotta think Byfield's a virtual lock for 2nd.

I think once those two are off the board, it's truly anyone's guess how the dominoes will fall. Stutzle is the consensus #3 guy, but there are some valid concerns with him, just as there are with any and every 2020 draft-eligible not named Lafreniere or Byfield.

Now, don't get me wrong -- the Wings are so starved for top talent that "We got Stutzle/Rossi/Drysdale/Raymond/Holtz/Askarov/Perfetti, but there are some concerns about him" would be a great "problem" for us to have. It's just...y'know...the HYPE! fiend in me wants an as-close-to-a-sure-thing-elite-NHLer-as-it-gets guy. And that, to me, means Lafreniere or Byfield.

If we get Lafreniere, we've finally found our superstar. And he'll step right into the NHL next season and probably do fairly well as a rookie. Wings fans would have an actual reason to catch a game or two at the LCA next season, especially if Yzerman decides to go out and land a big-name guy or two.

If we get Byfield...well, as with Lafreniere, we've finally found our superstar. Not quite as sure a thing as Lafreniere. Not as NHL-ready. Probably needs to spend a year in Europe. Probably doesn't become a monster NHL centerman until several years from now. But there's little doubt he's ultimately going to get there. He has the potential to become the most complete centerman in the league.

tl;dr I don't want to be ok with where we land in the lotto. I want to be overjoyed with where we land in the lotto. :w00t2:

8 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I REEEEEEEEEally wish we owned two 1sts this year. Sanderson, Askarov, Lundell, Seth Jarvis...this 1st round is going to produce a lot of really good NHLers.

Our 2nd rounder is almost a 1st. Plus we get to be ”on the clock” all night and day leading up to the second round of the draft. Pretty hyped about it desu. 

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

I REEEEEEEEEally wish we owned two 1sts this year. Sanderson, Askarov, Lundell, Seth Jarvis...this 1st round is going to produce a lot of really good NHLers.

Jack Quinn is the player I wish we owned a second 1st round pick for... If he somehow gets to 20, I hope Yzerman explores trading up to get him. I'd say there's no way he falls all the way to 32, but then remember Veleno was a top 15 talent that fell to 30... But yeah, it'll never happen.

4 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Our 2nd rounder is almost a 1st. Plus we get to be ”on the clock” all night and day leading up to the second round of the draft. Pretty hyped about it desu. 

We get all night and day leading up to the 2nd round of the draft to discuss who the Wings should take... 

7 hours ago, Dabura said:

Lafreniere's a lock for 1st overall. I've gotta think Byfield's a virtual lock for 2nd.

I think once those two are off the board, it's truly anyone's guess how the dominoes will fall. Stutzle is the consensus #3 guy, but there are some valid concerns with him, just as there are with any and every 2020 draft-eligible not named Lafreniere or Byfield.

Now, don't get me wrong -- the Wings are so starved for top talent that "We got Stutzle/Rossi/Drysdale/Raymond/Holtz/Askarov/Perfetti, but there are some concerns about him" would be a great "problem" for us to have. It's just...y'know...the HYPE! fiend in me wants an as-close-to-a-sure-thing-elite-NHLer-as-it-gets guy. And that, to me, means Lafreniere or Byfield.

If we get Lafreniere, we've finally found our superstar. And he'll step right into the NHL next season and probably do fairly well as a rookie. Wings fans would have an actual reason to catch a game or two at the LCA next season, especially if Yzerman decides to go out and land a big-name guy or two.

If we get Byfield...well, as with Lafreniere, we've finally found our superstar. Not quite as sure a thing as Lafreniere. Not as NHL-ready. Probably needs to spend a year in Europe. Probably doesn't become a monster NHL centerman until several years from now. But there's little doubt he's ultimately going to get there. He has the potential to become the most complete centerman in the league.

tl;dr I don't want to be ok with where we land in the lotto. I want to be overjoyed with where we land in the lotto. :w00t2:

I was just thinking about how they're going to do the games if they allow fans into the building. Then I remembered how empty the arena was before CoVid, and I realized they'll have plenty of empty seats to spread everyone out. It'll be social distancing without doing it on purpose.

On 6/18/2020 at 12:53 PM, krsmith17 said:

Jack Quinn is the player I wish we owned a second 1st round pick for... If he somehow gets to 20, I hope Yzerman explores trading up to get him. I'd say there's no way he falls all the way to 32, but then remember Veleno was a top 15 talent that fell to 30... But yeah, it'll never happen.

Yep, Quinn's a beauty. And, yep, we're not getting him. lol

Anecdotally, it feels to me like trading up into the middle or late 1st round is a thing that basically doesn't happen, for whatever reasons. So I'm not expecting Yzerman to do it. On the other hand, we know Yzerman tried to trade down from 6th overall last year. If the lotto kicks us down to 3rd or 4th overall, maybe Yzerman trades down and gets us an additional 1st.

3 hours ago, TLGTrico said:

1 week from today things will be a lot clearer.

I DON'T WANNA WAIT
FOR OUR LIVES TO BE OVAHHH

On 6/18/2020 at 3:36 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I was just thinking about how they're going to do the games if they allow fans into the building. Then I remembered how empty the arena was before CoVid, and I realized they'll have plenty of empty seats to spread everyone out. It'll be social distancing without doing it on purpose.

In all seriousness tho, a library arena is a genuine possibility next season if we don't get Lafreniere. Hell, it's a genuine possibility even if we *do* get Lafreniere.

Hey-Hey-Hey-This-Is-Library.jpg

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

Yep, Quinn's a beauty. And, yep, we're not getting him. lol

Anecdotally, it feels to me like trading up into the middle or late 1st round is a thing that basically doesn't happen, for whatever reasons. So I'm not expecting Yzerman to do it. On the other hand, we know Yzerman tried to trade down from 6th overall last year. If the lotto kicks us down to 3rd or 4th overall, maybe Yzerman trades down and gets us an additional 1st.

I DON'T WANNA WAIT
FOR OUR LIVES TO BE OVAHHH

I dont think theres a chance at all that quinn drops , and if for some reason teams stay away from goalies and askarov starts dropping down to 14-15 etc.. with yzerman drafting vasilevsky i can 100% picture him trading up for him 

i think i seen like dallas not picking again till 100+ so if theyd somehow be in the 12-16 range youd have to think theyd be a prime target for a team to trade up with

Im really envious of ottawa who’ll likely end up with 3 picks in the top 20 and with all those extra picks i can totally see them making a move and potentially ending up with 3 top 10 picks . We’re so screwed 

10 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Im really envious of ottawa who’ll likely end up with 3 picks in the top 20 and with all those extra picks i can totally see them making a move and potentially ending up with 3 top 10 picks . We’re so screwed 

I'm fully expecting the Sens to win the lotto with the Sharks' pick. We'll see...

honestly here is the way I look at it, even though we will get a heck-uva quality player at 4, I think if we do fall to 4, it'll just seem like a huge slap in the face because we fell as far as we could. Even if we just fell to 3, it wouldn't feel as horrible.  There is only 3 other teams though I wouldn't mind us falling to in reality, Ottawa, LA, Anaheim. That's it. Nobody else deserves to jump us to #1, especially perennial tankers like NJ and Buffalo. Screw the rest of the bottom 15, they've all had their picks in the #1-#3 range over the past several years...and it's gonna stink if Montreal or pulls that upset and Pittsburgh gets the #1...I would actually puke. I'd rather a team get the and keep the #1 and we get #4 than to see Pitt, Edmonton, Chicago or Toronto get the #1.

Edited by LeftWinger

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I don't think it will be 4th. 2nd or 3rd is the most likely. I'm more concerned with who leaps ahead of us.

Right! Like I said, if it's Ottawa, LA or Anaheim, I can't really be that mad, but really ANY other teams that may get the #1, NO WAY!