• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

As the only non-territory province in Canada without a Covid death, PEI says "hi". 

I mean, any Atlantic province with a half sensible arena should have been looked at. If the league paid attention, they'd realize they can have fans for games on the east coast based on their timeline. It wouldn't be enough to move the needle for league income, as they'd have to keep ticket prices in check to fill the house every game. But it would come off a hell of a lot better on TV. 

17 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

All you need to know bout this years lottery is that there is a 24.5% chance that one of 

Pittsburgh

Montreal

Carolina

NYR

NYI

Florida

Toronto

Columbus

Edmonton

Chicago

Nashville

Arizona

Vancouver

Calgary

Winnipeg

will get 1st overall. 

You also need to know that this will happen because the NHL is a novelty league that loves novelty.

My question is, on Friday if placeholder team 8 - 15 wins the lotto, but then there's no season end/no play in round, what happens? 

Imagine CHI winning 1st and they get to have Lafreniere/Dach for the next 15 years. How deserving.

I might actually have to kill myself if that happens. 

21 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

So in that case, what would happen if one of the top three picks goes to one of the play-in teams? Would we know before the play-in games start, which one of the top three picks will eventually go to the winner of the second draft lottery?

:sleepy:

I dunno when the second lotto (and third? And fourth?) would be. I'm just saying my understanding is that the second lotto wouldn't actually impact the pick order, it would only determine which of the 8-15 teams own that/those placeholder pick(s). blehhh

Edited by Dabura

43 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I dunno when the second lotto (and third? And fourth?) would be. I'm just saying my understanding is that the second lotto wouldn't actually impact the pick order, it would only determine which of the 8-15 teams own that/those placeholder pick(s). blehhh

My understanding as well

47 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I dunno when the second lotto (and third? And fourth?) would be. 

Third and fourth? WTF? I'm even more confused...

47 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I'm just saying my understanding is that the second lotto wouldn't actually impact the pick order, it would only determine which of the 8-15 teams own that/those placeholder pick(s). blehhh

Ok, so let's say on Friday two of those placeholder picks are drawn, and it comes out like this...

1. "placeholder"
2. DET
3. "placeholder"

We will know that number one and three pick is up for grabs, for two of the losers in the "play-in" round...?

Edited by krsmith17

2 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Imagine CHI winning 1st and they get to have Lafreniere/Dach for the next 15 years. How deserving.

You could say the same about half the teams I listed. 

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Ok, so let's say on Friday one of those placeholder picks is drawn, and it comes out like this...

Wha? LOL

Let's say this 

1. QRT G (placeholder)

2. LA

3. QRT B (placeholder)

The next six are automatically

4. Detroit

5. Ottawa

6. Ottawa 

7. Anaheim

8. NJD

9. Buffalo

Everything else gets sorted after they finally have the play in round in 2023 when hockey finally comes back. Including who G and B are. 

He's just messin'

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

20 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

It's funny -- I chatted with my ex-scout friend a couple days ago and his main message was "Lafreniere goes 1st and that's the only certainty." He's in the camp that believes 2nd overall is a two-horse race/coin flip between Byfield & Stutzle and that the 3rd overall pick is therefore basically equivalent to the 2nd overall pick. He feels Stutzle comfortably projects as Barzal but has the potential to be MacKinnon.

Can we please fast forward to Friday night?

15 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Wha? LOL

See edit.

15 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Let's say this 

1. QRT G (placeholder)

2. LA

3. QRT B (placeholder)

The next six are automatically

4. Detroit

5. Ottawa

6. Ottawa 

7. Anaheim

8. NJD

9. Buffalo

Everything else gets sorted after they finally have the play in round in 2023 when hockey finally comes back. Including who G and B are. 

So, basically what I said, without the optimism...

16 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

He's just messin'

Ok. Good.

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

It's funny -- I chatted with my ex-scout friend a couple days ago and his main message was "Lafreniere goes 1st and that's the only certainty." He's in the camp that believes 2nd overall is a two-horse race/coin flip between Byfield & Stutzle and that the 3rd overall pick is therefore basically equivalent to the 2nd overall pick. He feels Stutzle comfortably projects as Barzal but has the potential to be MacKinnon.

Can we please fast forward to Friday night?

That is why it is so important that we're on the right side of the coin flip... heads (top three pick), tails (4th pick)...

See edit.

So, basically what I said, without the optimism...

Ok. Good.

That is why it is so important that we're on the right side of the coin flip... heads (top three pick), tails (4th pick)...

I've been saying top 3 or deathhhhhhhh!!!!!! for a while now but just last night I realized I'd be OK with Drysdale. I think this team needs an really great home-cooked offensive D man just as bad as they need anyone else not named Lafreniere.  

20 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Good question, and with multiple players now having Covid, and the States still being effed, I think there's a good chance we don't see playoffs this season...

Seems to be a possibility.

25 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I've read a couple pieces that mentioned a third lotto and it melted my brain. I've given up on trying to make sense of any of this. lol

33 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Ok, so let's say on Friday two of those placeholder picks are drawn, and it comes out like this...

1. "placeholder"
2. DET
3. "placeholder"

We will know that number one and three pick is up for grabs, for two of the losers in the "play-in" round...?

giphy.gif

39 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I've been saying top 3 or deathhhhhhhh!!!!!! for a while now but just last night I realized I'd be OK with Drysdale. I think this team needs an really great home-cooked offensive D man just as bad as they need anyone else not named Lafreniere.  

What happened last night?!?!

I'd be okay with Drysdale, because he seems like he could legitimately be a Makar / Hughes level defenseman as early as 2021. And I'm always of the mindset that you take BPA, regardless of position, organizational strengths / weaknesses, but RHD is literally the only position I feel somewhat comfortable in saying, we're set for the next 10+ years... But then think about how highly coveted top tier right-handed defensemen are, and we could then trade Hronek in a couple years time for a pretty significant return... I want Lafreniere above anyone else (obviously), but I think I'm going to be okay with whoever Yzerman picks... Trust the Yzerplan...

32 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

What happened last night?!?!

I'd be okay with Drysdale, because he seems like he could legitimately be a Makar / Hughes level defenseman as early as 2021. And I'm always of the mindset that you take BPA, regardless of position, organizational strengths / weaknesses, but RHD is literally the only position I feel somewhat comfortable in saying, we're set for the next 10+ years... But then think about how highly coveted top tier right-handed defensemen are, and we could then trade Hronek in a couple years time for a pretty significant return... I want Lafreniere above anyone else (obviously), but I think I'm going to be okay with whoever Yzerman picks... Trust the Yzerplan...

Whiskey sours! :lol:

Things could get really hairy at this draft if someone takes Drysdale really early (2-3). I think you then see a legit chance that Jake Sanderson goes in the top 5 if a team that really wants a D man misses on Drysdale. 

1. Lafreniere

2. Drysdale

3. Stutzle

4. Sanderson

5. Byfield

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Already coping? I will wait and seethe before I start to cope. 

19 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Things could get really hairy at this draft if someone takes Drysdale really early (2-3). I think you then see a legit chance that Jake Sanderson goes in the top 5 if a team that really wants a D man misses on Drysdale. 

1. Lafreniere

2. Drysdale

3. Stutzle

4. Sanderson

5. Byfield

I dont think there is anyway possible that Byfield drops to 5 or even 4. 

7 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Not at all. 

I'll be disappointed to miss on Lafreniere or Stutzle but I'd be sincerely OK with Drysdale. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

45 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

1. Lafreniere

2. Drysdale

3. Stutzle

4. Sanderson

5. Byfield

There's definitely a reality where Drysdale could go as high as two or three, but I don't see any team reaching for Sanderson in the top five. But then again, I didn't see any team "reaching" for Seider in the top seven last year, and here we are...

29 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

No, I still don't think he drops to three, but definitely not four or five.

44 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

What if he gets hammered the night before the draft and commits a few indecent acts?  

7 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

You probably shouldn't LGW posters are becoming an endangered species.