• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

21 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

What happened last night?!?!

I'd be okay with Drysdale, because he seems like he could legitimately be a Makar / Hughes level defenseman as early as 2021. And I'm always of the mindset that you take BPA, regardless of position, organizational strengths / weaknesses, but RHD is literally the only position I feel somewhat comfortable in saying, we're set for the next 10+ years... But then think about how highly coveted top tier right-handed defensemen are, and we could then trade Hronek in a couple years time for a pretty significant return... I want Lafreniere above anyone else (obviously), but I think I'm going to be okay with whoever Yzerman picks... Trust the Yzerplan...

Trade Hronek?! Hell naw, mate. Gimme depth on the back end. If Hronek is pushed down to the 3 spot by Seider and Drysdale, that's nothing but a good thing for the team. (We needed all three of Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall in '08.) If the concern is handedness, I think both Hronek and Seider are going to be capable of playing the left side full-time.

As for Drysdale specifically? Well, y'all know where I stand on him. His offense makes him a top-8 pick. His offense + defense puts him in the top-3 conversation.

19 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Trade Hronek?! Hell naw, mate. Gimme depth on the back end. If Hronek is pushed down to the 3 spot by Seider and Drysdale, that's nothing but a good thing for the team. (We needed all three of Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall in '08.) If the concern is handedness, I think both Hronek and Seider are going to be capable of playing the left side full-time.

As for Drysdale specifically? Well, y'all know where I stand on him. His offense makes him a top-8 pick. His offense + defense puts him in the top-3 conversation.

Yeah, just saying it would be an option, depending on how the rest of our d-prospects pan out, and / or if we add in free agency / (other) trade(s)... I think one of Bowey, Lindstrom or Tuomisto could be a viable option on the bottom pair, right side, and I'd prefer one of them, than wasting a Hronek or Seider down there.

In my opinion, our two biggest needs are, a high-end left-handed defenseman and a high-end right-handed scoring forward. The way this draft is looking, we won't be filling either of those holes. We'll likely end up with either a high-end left-handed forward (Lafreniere, Byfield or Stutzle) or a high-end right-handed defenseman (Drysdale). I'd be more than happy with any of those players, but it may make other players already in the organization expendable in the next few years time, which is fine.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, just saying it would be an option, depending on how the rest of our d-prospects pan out, and / or if we add in free agency / (other) trade(s)... I think one of Bowey, Lindstrom or Tuomisto could be a viable option on the bottom pair, right side, and I'd prefer one of them, than wasting a Hronek or Seider down there.

In my opinion, our two biggest needs are, a high-end left-handed defenseman and a high-end right-handed scoring forward. The way this draft is looking, we won't be filling either of those holes. We'll likely end up with either a high-end left-handed forward (Lafreniere, Byfield or Stutzle) or a high-end right-handed defenseman (Drysdale). I'd be more than happy with any of those players, but it may make other players already in the organization expendable in the next few years time, which is fine.

Just imagine if we draft Drysdale and suddenly have a huge logjam of really good dmen in the next couple years. Yzerman would be big time trading from a position of strength.

13 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Just imagine if we draft Drysdale and suddenly have a huge logjam of really good dmen in the next couple years. Yzerman would be big time trading from a position of strength.

For sure. If Drysdale is the best player available, wherever we end up, you take him. For me though, I'd only consider him at four. I'm still hoping for a top three pick, and if we end up on that side of the coin, it's Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle for me. 

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

For sure. If Drysdale is the best player available, wherever we end up, you take him. For me though, I'd only consider him at four. I'm still hoping for a top three pick, and if we end up on that side of the coin, it's Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle for me. 

I feel it's Laffy, Byfield/Drysdale. I do think Byfield has the highest bust potential, which is what worries me about him. A very high ceiling, but I am concerned about his floor. Laffy and Drysdale I feel will be among the best at their positions in due time. 

Stutzle I feel is the safest center in the draft. I just don't think he'll be a better center than Drysdale will be a dman. Not to mention being stacked on the blueline in a few years opens up many trade options for help up front... or in goal.

39 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I feel it's Laffy, Byfield/Drysdale. I do think Byfield has the highest bust potential, which is what worries me about him. A very high ceiling, but I am concerned about his floor. Laffy and Drysdale I feel will be among the best at their positions in due time. 

Stutzle I feel is the safest center in the draft. I just don't think he'll be a better center than Drysdale will be a dman. Not to mention being stacked on the blueline in a few years opens up many trade options for help up front... or in goal.

Huh? If anything I'd say Byfield has the lowest bust potential of any draft eligible, outside of Lafreniere. He has the ceiling to be an elite 1C, and in my opinion, his floor is no worse than a middle six center. He already has the physical build, and the tools to be a quality NHL player.

12 hours ago, Legendary D In 03 said:

No we aren't

I can't name more than a dozen people who post comments here with regularity. Considering how many thousands of people have joined the site over the years, I would consider that a dying breed.

8 hours ago, Dabura said:

I don't wanna be another Nashville. All D, no scorers and no cup. I would rather go F this year and solidify the top 6.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I don't wanna be another Nashville. All D, no scorers and no cup. I would rather go F this year and solidify the top 6.

You also don't wanna be another Toronto. All offense, no defense, and no Cup... There needs to be a balance. In saying that, I agree that we need offense, more than defense, but we also don't have an offensive defenseman that can push the play quite like Drysdale (is projected to be). I still say one of the big three forwards with any of the top three picks, but if we drop to four, it would be between Drysdale and Raymond for me.

59 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You also don't wanna be another Toronto. All offense, no defense, and no Cup... There needs to be a balance. In saying that, I agree that we need offense, more than defense, but we also don't have an offensive defenseman that can push the play quite like Drysdale (is projected to be). I still say one of the big three forwards with any of the top three picks, but if we drop to four, it would be between Drysdale and Raymond for me.

I also look at the ease of filling a hole. When it comes to top 4 left side D, yes that is a need. But I look at the prospects we have in the pipeline, and I think we have a much better chance of finding that future LH top 4 D there then we do a future 1C/2C. It's also easier to acquire a solid LH top 4 dman in free agency and via trade, then it is a solid 1C/2C forward. There are 2 really good C prospects at the top of the draft (3 if you can't Stutzle as a C). For that reason, I would rather go with one of those this draft instead of another RH defenseman. We'll probably be picking near the top of the draft next year. I would look at D then.

And fmichael........please don't make any hole filling jokes.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

14 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I also look at the ease of filling a hole. When it comes to top 4 left side D, yes that is a need. But I look at the prospects we have in the pipeline, and I think we have a much better chance of finding that future LH top 4 D there then we do a future 1C/2C. It's also easier to acquire a solid LH top 4 dman in free agency and via trade, then it is a solid 1C/2C forward. There are 2 really good C prospects at the top of the draft (3 if you can't Stutzle as a C). For that reason, I would rather go with one of those this draft instead of another RH defenseman. We'll probably be picking near the top of the draft next year. I would look at D then.

We're on the same page for the most part here.

21 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I guess I just don't see Hronek or Seider settling in as a third-pairing Red Wings defenseman -- unless, of course, Seider is a bust. If we get Drysdale and he and Hronek and Seider pan out, I think we're looking at a top pairing of Seider-Drysdale and a second pairing of [some guy]-Hronek. Or, we bring in a top-pairing LHD via trade/UFA and it's [that guy]-Drysdale + Seider/Hronek-Hronek/Seider.

I do get where you're coming from, though, and I don't reject the general premise. Between the aforementioned three defensemen AND Lindstrom, McIsaac, Johansson, Tuomisto AND any trade and/or UFA acquisitions...we'd probably be looking at a position of strength and Yzerman would probably end up moving someone. And, indeed, that's basically the whole reason why I'd be HYPE!'d about us getting Drysdale. Depth, depth, depth.

15 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I don't wanna be another Nashville. All D, no scorers and no cup. I would rather go F this year and solidify the top 6.

Not saying I want us to be Nashville. I just agree with Craig Button about Drysdale having all the makings of a 1D. I'm all about center depth, so I'm all-in on a hypothetical future center group of Byfield/Stutzle, Larkin, Veleno. But it'd be nice to be able to say we've more or less addressed the defense problem.

17 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I guess I just don't see Hronek or Seider settling in as a third-pairing Red Wings defenseman -- unless, of course, Seider is a bust. If we get Drysdale and he and Hronek and Seider pan out, I think we're looking at a top pairing of Seider-Drysdale and a second pairing of [some guy]-Hronek. Or, we bring in a top-pairing LHD via trade/UFA and it's [that guy]-Drysdale + Seider/Hronek-Hronek/Seider.

If either of them did end up on the "third pair" it would likely just be to balance handedness, not because any of them are actually third pair quality defensemen. I'm also of the mind that we need more balance handedness all over the ice (defense and forwards). It makes every aspect of the game that much easier, defending, breaking the puck out, passing cross ice, setting up one-timers, holding the offensive zone, etc... Which is why if we did have an elite right-side, and a subpar left side, I'd prefer to trade one of the right-handed defensemen for an equally skilled left-handed defenseman, rather than playing one of them on their off side. Top tier right-handed defensemen are always in high demand. If we have three, we'd be dealing from a major position of strength.

Anyway, we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves talking about IF we draft Drysdale, and IF all three of Hronek, Seider and Drysdale develop into top tier defensemen, and IF Tuomisto and Lindstrom develop into quality NHL defensemen...

I just want to find out tomorrow where we're drafting (hopefully #1), so that we can all agree that Lafreniere is our guy...

27 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I do get where you're coming from, though, and I don't reject the general premise. Between the aforementioned three defensemen AND Lindstrom, McIsaac, Johansson, Tuomisto AND any trade and/or UFA acquisitions...we'd probably be looking at a position of strength and Yzerman would probably end up moving someone. And, indeed, that's basically the whole reason why I'd be HYPE!'d about us getting Drysdale. Depth, depth, depth.

I think defense is already a position of strength for this organization, relatively speaking, without drafting Drysdale. Maybe it's just because I value offense more than defense, but I'm more confident that we have four quality defensemen in the system, than I am that we have nine quality forwards in the system.

25 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

tomorrow IS the day we secure Lafreniere!!!

Dear Heavenly Father 

Please hear our plea. We have suffered Lord and shown through the vast desert of losses we have shown our love for our team. But Lord we are pleading that you deliver us the #1 pick this year. You know the NHL has conspired against your Winged Wheel children by only giving us 18.5% of a potential game changing player. We need you almighty one to put us in the 1st spot. If you will deliver us this pick we will not complain about the coaching or goaltending till the All-Star break

In thou's name ...amen

17 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

tomorrow IS the day we secure Lafreniere!!!

More of this.

7 hours ago, mackel said:

Tomorrow is the day we get ..."bleeped".

Less of this.

6 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I'm ready to be so pissed.

And this.

37 minutes ago, Dabura said:

5c660f915c53da96107ac47354326b45--dating

And this.

46 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

source.gif

this begins tonight

Yes. Break out the good stuff tonight. We f***ing celebrate!

:drunk: