• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Goalies are very different but people knocked on the habs and price worked out , people were scared of taking knight early and although hes not in the league yet hes looking damn good , we’re talking about a goalie people are mentioning at the top of the list with the best , not a nico daws

Price is one of the very few that has worked out. Askarov is being compared to Price. Therefore, Askarov will work out as well...

Knight hasn't done s*** yet, and odds are against him ever becoming the stud that you're looking for in the top half of the 1st round.

Bottom line, there are way more goalies taken in the 1st round that become busts than Carey Price level...

To each their own, but I personally wouldn't waste a 1st round pick on Askarov or any goaltender. If he drops to 32, I'd consider it, depending on who else drops there...

I would of been OK with the Wings pinching Knight last year. As for Askarov, yes it is a huge risk, but if it pays off, it would be a genius move/pick view after the fact. 

I hope we stockpile up on defensemen via the draft and acquire offense via free agency. Of course there will be if we can get someone via free agency or the caliber type talent will not be available. 

Let’s face it, we are a few years way from being competitive again. Many may not like to hear it, but it is a hard reality. 

Edited by Rivalred

17 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I mean you knew as soon as the league contorted itself into a pretzel in order to include 8 mystery teams to be determined with another draft that this was written in stone. 

I gave the league the benefit of the doubt because they had floated that five-team lotto idea. Shame on me.

17 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Honestly, not sure how this team's going to climb out of this hole without a franchise type player/super star. They need to ******* nail one of their 2nd rounders to make up for this s***. 

Which brings us back to the goalie discussion from a few months ago. Find an absolute elite goalie and, theoretically, the need to find an absolutely elite player at each skating position diminishes. Goalies are voodoo, yes, but they're also important, and Askarov is about as close to a sure-thing star goalie as it gets. So, if you're Yzerman and you'd rather not spend the next five years telling Wings that you feel Jonatan Berggren can be a real important piece of blah blah blah blah blah blah, do you just say f*** it and take the stud goalie with your first pick?

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Price is one of the very few that has worked out. Askarov is being compared to Price. Therefore, Askarov will work out as well...

Knight hasn't done s*** yet, and odds are against him ever becoming the stud that you're looking for in the top half of the 1st round.

Bottom line, there are way more goalies taken in the 1st round that become busts than Carey Price level...

To each their own, but I personally wouldn't waste a 1st round pick on Askarov or any goaltender. If he drops to 32, I'd consider it, depending on who else drops there...

32 ha! , thx for that

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

I gave the league the benefit of the doubt because they had floated that five-team lotto idea. Shame on me.

Which brings us back to the goalie discussion from a few months ago. Find an absolute elite goalie and, theoretically, the need to find an absolutely elite player at each skating position diminishes. Goalies are voodoo, yes, but they're also important, and Askarov is about as close to a sure-thing star goalie as it gets. So, if you're Yzerman and you'd rather not spend the next five years telling Wings that you feel Jonatan Berggren can be a real important piece of blah blah blah blah blah blah, do you just say f*** it and take the stud goalie with your first pick?

I wouldnt be surprised at all if he took askarov ..,. He was willing to find teams to trade back with last draft and i suspect he might try again except this time he’ll find takers 

1 hour ago, Rivalred said:

I would of been OK with the Wings pinching Knight last year. As for Askarov, yes it is a huge risk, but if it pays off, it would be a genius move/pick view after the fact. 

You would have been okay with the Wings picking Knight last year, and having him over Seider? Really?...

Yes, picking goalies is and likely always will be a huge risk, which is why, in my opinion, you should never waste a top pick, especially top 5-10 on one...

1 hour ago, Rivalred said:

I hope we stockpile up on defensemen via the draft and acquire offense via free agency. Of course there will be if we can get someone via free agency or the caliber type talent will not be available. 

Why? This seems like a terrible strategy... Take the best players available in the draft, and take a swing at free agents when you're ready to compete.

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

No!

4 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

32 ha! , thx for that

I'd say leading up to the draft, it's more likely that Askarov slips than any other player in the top 20 this year. I highly doubt he slips all the way to 32, but no one thought Veleno would slip to 30 a couple years ago either. 

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You would have been okay with the Wings picking Knight last year, and having him over Seider? Really?...

Yes, picking goalies is and likely always will be a huge risk, which is why, in my opinion, you should never waste a top pick, especially top 5-10 on one...

Why? This seems like a terrible strategy... Take the best players available in the draft, and take a swing at free agents when you're ready to compete.

No!

I'd say leading up to the draft, it's more likely that Askarov slips than any other player in the top 20 this year. I highly doubt he slips all the way to 32, but no one thought Veleno would slip to 30 a couple years ago either. 

Doesnt matter what happened to veleno there’s zero chance askarov drops to 32

Slow and steady and even keeled doth our GM go......

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2020/06/steve-yzerman-red-wings-will-get-great-prospect-with-fourth-pick.html

based on that article which has snippets of the presser he never thought we would get 1.  So my guess the staff has been prepping for a 2-4 pick already and they are ready to say X name unless someone offers up a too good to be true trade. 

While disappointed in the drop much like last year I am putting my big boy pants on as someone said earlier and watch us overcome the walls that have been built in front of us...

4 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I wouldnt be surprised at all if he took askarov ..,. He was willing to find teams to trade back with last draft and i suspect he might try again except this time he’ll find takers 

I can very easily imagine him targeting any one of the guys in the consensus 4-12 range, so I really have no set expectations about the pick. Could be that he loves Askarov. Could be that he loves Drysdale. Could be that he loves Raymond. Could be that he loves Holtz. Could be that he loves Rossi. Could be that he loves Sanderson. Could be that he loves Perfetti. Could be that he loves Lundell. Could be that he loves Quinn.

Could be that he trades back.

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

No!

Well, then we need to start knocking some skater picks out of the park. We've been tanking for several years now and the fact that so much was riding on this lotto outcome speaks to how unimpressive our progress has been. Assuming this trend would otherwise definitely continue for another 3(+) years, I think it's reasonable to ask whether the time has come to switch things up a bit and think outside the box and take more high-risk-high-reward chances.

I'd probably take Drysdale at 4th. But my interest in the Wings is hanging on by a thread right now and I'm already pretty sure I'm not going to be following along closely next season, so I'm really hoping Yzerman works some magic and dramatically shortens the rebuild timeline.

4 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Well, then we need to start knocking some skater picks out of the park. We've been tanking for several years now and the fact that so much was riding on this lotto outcome speaks to how unimpressive our progress has been. Assuming this trend would otherwise definitely continue for another 3(+) years, I think it's reasonable to ask whether the time has come to switch things up a bit and think outside the box and take more high-risk-high-reward chances.

I'd probably take Drysdale at 4th. But my interest in the Wings is hanging on by a thread right now and I'm already pretty sure I'm not going to be following along closely next season, so I'm really hoping Yzerman works some magic and dramatically shortens the rebuild timeline.

I think we already have knocked some skater picks out of the park, and we'll continue to do so. I still think we'll get a monster (skater) at 4th overall this year.

Any team in our position would have a lot riding on this lotto. Unfortunately, the team that is going to win it, is not one of those teams in our position...

I'm all for thinking outside the box, but for me, that doesn't include taking a goaltender 4th overall, or at all in the top of the draft, in any trade back scenario.

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

What are the chances that LA, being pretty well stacked at forward, draft Drysdale at 2, leaving Ottawa the choice between Byfield / Stutzle, and the other to Detroit?... I know, probably not likely, but possible? Stranger things have happened...

Almost every year, one of the "consensus top three" picks drops out of the top three... 2013 - Jones, 2015 - Marner, 2016 - Puljujarvi (apparently for good reason), 2017 - Makar / Pettersson (weren't considered top three, but probably should have been), 2018 - Tkachuk / Zadina, 2019 - Byram. Point is, we're not getting Lafreniere, but we could still possibly get one of Byfield or Stutzle... And even if we don't, we'll likely be getting a damn good player, and possibly the best player this organization has drafted in 20+ years...

My order of preference after the top three is Raymond, Drysdale, Rossi, Holtz... If the draft does go as expected, I'd be more than okay with Yzerman trading back at 4 to 6 or 7, picking up another late 1st / early 2nd round pick...

Well - for better, or worse - we got Zadina.

Guess anyone could drop.

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

This is a good a time as any to announce my intentions. I will officially be shilling for Rossi at #4.

• He's torched every league he's ever been in since like age 10
  • He's a fantastic skater and very fast
  • His legs are strong AF and his balance because of this is very good. Very hard to bully him in the corners and push him off the puck.
  • When he drives the net he drops the shoulder and powers through the defense literally every time
  • He's fearless and bulldogs opponents with his deceptive strength
  • Has mad dangles and puck skills. Passing between legs, dangling off his skates. Very Datsyukian.
  • He may be the best passer in the draft. His consistency of tape to tape is remarkable.
  • He exhibits superb poise and patience with the puck. Does not force plays. He waits for his opening and then seizes it with confidence and skill.

I firmly believe if he wasn't on the older side of the draft and wasn't a small frame he would be in contention for the #1 spot with Lafrenierre. I care a lot less about my forwards lacking size, especially skilled ones who exhibit speed and strength.

Where muh Marco men at?

Years ago my aunt (moms sister) divorced, and a handful of years later re-married a German guy.

From a German perspective - he said Austrians speak funny, and are weird.

Do we want weirdos on this team?

2 hours ago, Rivalred said:

I hope we stockpile up on defensemen via the draft and acquire offense via free agency. Of course there will be if we can get someone via free agency or the caliber type talent will not be available. 

Let’s face it, we are a few years way from being competitive again. Many may not like to hear it, but it is a hard reality. 

This disaster made thar all the more true!

49 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I can very easily imagine him targeting any one of the guys in the consensus 4-12 range, so I really have no set expectations about the pick. Could be that he loves Askarov. Could be that he loves Drysdale. Could be that he loves Raymond. Could be that he loves Holtz. Could be that he loves Rossi. Could be that he loves Sanderson. Could be that he loves Perfetti. Could be that he loves Lundell. Could be that he loves Quinn.

Could be that he trades back.

Np with that list just not a fan of lundell or perfetti’s long term projections from what ive seen/read and drysdale sanderson , again just my opinion but im really liking how our d is shaping up and we can also grab another solid one with our 5 next picks 

If its a forward for me its raymond and then its goal scoring in either holtz or quinn(wouldnt take quinn 4th though) ... if we can have a holtz/quinn to add to mantha and zadina in the top 6 on the wing we’d look good , although raymond at this point is my #1 

Who knows maybe if we’re lucky l.a had drysdale in their sights prior to the draft and might make a trade with detroit to add something, i would only hope it wouldnt be a crazy price for 2 spots

Just finished watching the actual draft itself - dvr’d it last night.

While I don’t wish to come across as a conspiracy type...Why the hell Bettman/Daly don’t make use of the bouncing/floating balls on live tv?

This card revealing certainly raises some questions.

Just now, F.Michael said:

Just finished watching the actual draft itself - dvr’d it last night.

While I don’t wish to come across as a conspiracy type...Why the hell Bettman/Daly don’t make use of the bouncing/floating balls on live tv?

This card revealing certainly raises some questions.

Bettmans shaky hands fumbling with the balls?

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Years ago my aunt (moms sister) divorced, and a handful of years later re-married a German guy.

From a German perspective - he said Austrians speak funny, and are weird.

Do we want weirdos on this team?

Historically Austrians have flourished on this team. First Thomas Vanek. Now Marco Rossi. 

23 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I’m not going there for I don’t wish to face the combined might of CRL and Kip.

https://images.app.goo.gl/yrJyEttF8AQViA3K8

Chicken

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Its not a question of if Marco Rossi. Its a question of when Marco Rossi. 

So glad we have Steve as our GM. He knows better than selecting austrian freaks.