• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

Jesus Christ you guys are whiney and depressing. 

Next year's draft sucks so we'll get 1st. Lol

No team can be unlucky forever and no team should count on luck to build a contender anyway. Yzerman just needs to keep doing smart hockey stuff and eventually we'll get a real bounce. 

f*** the NHL f*** the haters! 

37 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

No team can be unlucky forever and no team should count on luck to build a contender anyway. Yzerman just needs to keep doing smart hockey stuff and eventually we'll get a real bounce. 

It was a joke...

We were all hoping for the number one pick, to take Lafreniere. If not one, two or three to take Byfield or Stutzle. We dropped all the way to four, but I think there's a pretty good chance that we could still get our guy (Stutzle), if one of LA or Ottawa take Drysdale in the top three.

I'm hoping for Stutzle at 4, and Gunler at 32...

22 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It was a joke...

We were all hoping for the number one pick, to take Lafreniere. If not one, two or three to take Byfield or Stutzle. We dropped all the way to four, but I think there's a pretty good chance that we could still get our guy (Stutzle), if one of LA or Ottawa take Drysdale in the top three.

I'm hoping for Stutzle at 4, and Gunler at 32...

I'm hoping for Kucherovs and Points, and even Palats. I've said it before but this is the path to glory. Good drafting outside of the first round. Specifically mid-second onward. 

6 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I'm hoping for Kucherovs and Points, and even Palats. I've said it before but this is the path to glory. Good drafting outside of the first round. Specifically mid-second onward. 

I mean, the same can be said for top picks. Look at the past several stanley cup winners, none of them won with just good drafting outside of the first round.

You say Kuch and Point, I say Stamkos and Hedman. 

7 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Absolutely. You want to hit on some later round picks, but you also have to hit on the early picks. It kind of defeats the purpose if we get a Nikita Kucherov with our late second round pick, but a Slater Koekkoek with our first pick...

I don't care what picks we hit on, but the best shot at getting our Kucherov, is with the 4th overall pick. We also need 2-3 more of our 10 picks to turn out. I don't care if they come in the 2nd or 7th rounds...

53 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I mean, the same can be said for top picks. Look at the past several stanley cup winners, none of them won with just good drafting outside of the first round.

This.

I think this article sums up my view of the draft bs..

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2020/06/nhl-should-alter-draft-lottery-odds-more-in-favor-of-worst-teams.html

and the last sentence shows that change is needed in the process....

"The worst team has landed the No. 1 pick only twice in the past nine years."

20 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

24 out of 31 owners love this outcome. Majority rule,

Just to clarify: I was talking about the normal non-play-in 15-team lotto format. A lot of fans hate it, but I dunno that it's pissed off enough owners and GMs for it to be taken behind the woodshed within the next couple of years.

18 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I am done caring about this latest screw job. He is gonna go to a "playoff" team with very little cap room, spend 3 years on an ELC then get a $17M per year contract that I really don't feel like handing out. Depending on where he goes, he'll probably also get a "C" to wear. Larkin is our Captain, I like having Cap space, I like building a team with players who aren't the superstar. I don't care about next years #1 or the next or the next, because through development and UFA signings and trades, Yzerman WILL build a playoff team and then we'll get back to being contenders every year. Montreal can have Laffy, when he doesn't take them to the Cup in the first year, they'll turn on him. Toronto already cannot afford to ice a team, so they would be waiving or trading good players in a few years just to fit him under the cap.  Give me Stutzle, Perfetti, Rossi, Sanderson or Drysdale at #4, Yzerman will knock the 2nd round out of the park with our three picks, #32, #54 and #58. We'll get a top 10 pick (most likely next season as well.) I am ready to watch Yzerman, the fans and the City of Detroit to rub their noses in the stink pile of "fix" they have created! Suck it uncle gary! Time to move to the 2020 off season thread because with Z's LTIR, we have $42M to spend, then add the compliance buyout (or two) we'll be nearing $48M or more in cap! Bring in a 27 year old big name difference maker, it won't be long! 

The hope: Yzerman goes nuclear, throws offer sheets around, buys a top UFA, clears up the D logjam in anticipation of Seider making the team out of camp, tells his troops that it is now our mission to f*** everyone's s*** up because it's us versus the world.

The expectation: Not a single one of those things happens and we continue to drift along with no star talent and no end to the rebuild in sight and no fans in the LCA lower bowl.

42 minutes ago, Dabura said:

The hope: Yzerman goes nuclear, throws offer sheets around, buys a top UFA, clears up the D logjam in anticipation of Seider making the team out of camp, tells his troops that it is now our mission to f*** everyone's s*** up because it's us versus the world.

The expectation: Not a single one of those things happens and we continue to drift along with no star talent and no end to the rebuild in sight and no fans in the LCA lower bowl.

What logjam? The only defensemen guaranteed a spot in the top six are Hronek, Nemeth, and DeKeyser. Biega shouldn't be anything more than a 7th defenseman. Bowey could be brought back on another short-term deal, but he's yet to be signed. Lindstrom and Cholowski are the only other two defensemen that will be fighting for a spot in the top six, but both could be sent down to Grand Rapids. I think Seider is guaranteed a spot in Detroit.

3 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

LOL The same Stamkos and Hedman that were unanimous #1 and top 3 respectively? You call that good drafting? I call that checking a box. Would be like crediting Bergevin for taking Lafreniere. 

I

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Just to clarify: I was talking about the normal non-play-in 15-team lotto format. A lot of fans hate it, but I dunno that it's pissed off enough owners and GMs for it to be taken behind the woodshed within the next couple of years.

The middle

58 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

LOL The same Stamkos and Hedman that were unanimous #1 and top 3 respectively? You call that good drafting? I call that checking a box. Would be like crediting Bergevin for taking Lafreniere. 

I

The middle

I'm not calling it good drafting, I'm calling it a necessary part of the "path to glory."

13 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Its just jokes but with our luck it wouldnt surprise me ... you say no team can be unlucky forever but im sure it feels forever for alot of fans like buffalo,florida etc...

Like you said yzerman just needs to do his s*** and We just have to worry about ourselves , been saying for months how the next five picks are huge after our 1st and we cant afford to not get some players out of it , that being said after the s*** show of a season we had we also cant afford to f*** up the 4th pick and end up with a 3rd liner 

I do think things will turn around sooner than alot of people think but after the nhl draft bulls*** i hope we can pull off some gems this draft and past and yes f*** the haters and f*** gary

11 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Yup and we have 6 picks in the top 62? Cant afford to f*** this draft , its crucial in turning the team around quicker than expected

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

Realistically, we're in a bad spot...  in our division, Boston, TB and Toronto are all good teams and will be for 5ish more years...  Ottawa already has a better group of prospects than we do AND will add 2 really good ones this draft.  Now if the NHL completes part 2 of the rigged draft and Lafreniere ends up on a team in our division we're really f***ed.

I'm predicting that (some of) our prospects become our new core and that (most of) of our current core ie. Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzz, Fabbri etc. are traded in a rebuild reset.  I think this process got a minimum of 3 years longer and maybe 5+ years longer if Lafreniere ends up with Montreal, Florida, Toronto, etc

7 minutes ago, mackel said:

Realistically, we're in a bad spot...  in our division, Boston, TB and Toronto are all good teams and will be for 5ish more years...  Ottawa already has a better group of prospects than we do AND will add 2 really good ones this draft.  Now if the NHL completes part 2 of the rigged draft and Lafreniere ends up on a team in our division we're really f***ed.

I'm predicting that (some of) our prospects become our new core and that (most of) of our current core ie. Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzz, Fabbri etc. are traded in a rebuild reset.  I think this process got a minimum of 3 years longer and maybe 5+ years longer if Lafreniere ends up with Montreal, Florida, Toronto, etc

And I think the gap between Lafreniere and Raymond/Perfetii/Rossi isn't as wide as some people have been (hyping) saying. 

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

And I think the gap between Lafreniere and Raymond/Perfetii/Rossi isn't as wide as some people have been (hyping) saying. 

In my opinion Perfetti is overrated. He is slow and gets physically dominated. Even if he develops the physical side of the game, and can win a puck battle his skating will always hold him back from being a top tier forward. 

I have a brilliant idea.

Since the winner of the #1 pick hasn't been announced, nobody will be offended by this.  The league needs to admit its disastrous mistake, and move each team up one slot from where they landed.  So Detroit would pick #3.  LA gets the #1 pick.  The mystery lottery winner can enjoy the benefit of drafting ahead of the other playoff teams (so say 16th).

It's not too late Bettman.  

4 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

I have a brilliant idea.

Since the winner of the #1 pick hasn't been announced, nobody will be offended by this.  The league needs to admit its disastrous mistake, and move each team up one slot from where they landed.  So Detroit would pick #3.  LA gets the #1 pick.  The mystery lottery winner can enjoy the benefit of drafting ahead of the other playoff teams (so say 16th).

It's not too late Bettman.  

If only.

44 minutes ago, Rivalred said:

I really hope Yzerman gets aggressive and serious with UFA’s

F*** that!

I really hope Yzerman gets aggressive, but not in free agency.

I hope he throws an offer sheet at a player on a cap strapped team, like Sergachev in Tampa. I also hope he goes after assets from a team looking to move a bad contract, like Eriksson in Vancouver.

2 hours ago, Rivalred said:

I really hope Yzerman gets aggressive and serious with UFA’s

Outside of maybe a dman on a short deal the only ufa id be interested in is alex galchenyuk on a one year deal with the sole purpose of hoping he can get back to being a 20-25 goal guy and flipping him for picks for next draft

Yzerman needs to get aggressive now in getting rid of some dead weight on the team(we have lots of those) and making room for svechnikov who deserves a good look(and not a bottom line role) before completely being written off and maybe brome and a few other kids who might be able to push for spots .

abdelkader to grand rapids to mentor the future kids should be in the cards

10 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I hope he throws an offer sheet at a player on a cap strapped team, like Sergachev in Tampa. I also hope he goes after assets from a team looking to move a bad contract, like Eriksson in Vancouver.

I dont like the first part. Offersheets cost picks. I dont think we should be trading(offersheets are basically trades) away picks.

The second part I like very much. Get picks! This serves the rebuild better.

1 minute ago, Akakabuto said:

I dont like the first part. Offersheets cost picks. I dont think we should be trading(offersheets are basically trades) away picks.

The second part I like very much. Get picks! This serves the rebuild better.

I disagree.

What makes picks more valuable than the players that the picks eventually turn into?

Give me the proven player over the pick that *might* eventually turn into said player any day.

Acquiring a young defenseman like Sergachev that fits our rebuild timeline would be well worth a 1st and 3rd round pick in my opinion. Sergachev was the 9th overall pick in the same draft as Hronek. He would instantly be our top defenseman, and fill a glaring hole on the left side, paired with either Hronek or Seider.

It would be a no brainer for me.

19 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

What got me liking Perfetti is that he has the highest upside outside of the top three. Reading prospect reports most seems to agree what holding him back from being in that top three discussion is his size and speed. Size will hopefully and probably come and his speed should also be fixable since many also say that his skating overall is not bad but rather good.

Somebody pointed out in another forum that most of his points this season came from games where he played centerman. I expect him to stay next year in the OHL playing full time at center and getting bigger and faster.

Upside is what counts imho. Go for skill. It's more of a risk but its worth it for us. We got top 9 forwards in abundance.

This is if we plan to use that 4th pick. As I stated before, I think that trading back is a good idea. Get picks! You might even find better "value" for your pick around 7-9.

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I disagree.

What makes picks more valuable than the players that the picks eventually turn into?

Give me the proven player over the pick that *might* eventually turn into said player any day.

Acquiring a young defenseman like Sergachev that fits our rebuild timeline would be well worth a 1st and 3rd round pick in my opinion. Sergachev was the 9th overall pick in the same draft as Hronek. He would instantly be our top defenseman, and fill a glaring hole on the left side, paired with either Hronek or Seider.

It would be a no brainer for me.

Sergachev might be the exception. But how high do you have to go to get him? A 1st and 3rd means somewhere between $4,227,437 and $6,341,152.

Is that enough?

34 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

What got me liking Perfetti is that he has the highest upside outside of the top three. Reading prospect reports most seems to agree what holding him back from being in that top three discussion is his size and speed. Size will hopefully and probably come and his speed should also be fixable since many also say that his skating overall is not bad but rather good.

Somebody pointed out in another forum that most of his points this season came from games where he played centerman. I expect him to stay next year in the OHL playing full time at center and getting bigger and faster.

Upside is what counts imho. Go for skill. It's more of a risk but its worth it for us. We got top 9 forwards in abundance.

This is if we plan to use that 4th pick. As I stated before, I think that trading back is a good idea. Get picks! You might even find better "value" for your pick around 7-9.

I'm only now getting around to reading scouting reports / watching videos on the guys beyond the top three (was hoping I wouldn't need to...), and I really like what I've been reading / seeing on Perfetti as well. I'd be more than okay with taking him at 4.

I completely agree with the bold. I like hearing that his ceiling is one of the highest in the draft. That's the type of pick we need to hit on early in the 1st round.

The underlined is kind of contradicting the bold though isn't it? I think we should stay at 4, unless Yzerman knows for certain that we could move back a couple spots and still get our guy. We need to take the best player available at 4. I'm still hoping that will be Stutzle, but if it's Perfetti, or Raymond, or Rossi, or Drysdale, or whoever, take him, rather than risk losing him. Like you alluded to, we need elite talent. We have enough depth. Quality over quantity.

28 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Sergachev might be the exception. But how high do you have to go to get him? A 1st and 3rd means somewhere between $4,227,437 and $6,341,152.

Is that enough?

I'd go around $5.25M over 6 years, and that would work out to be just under the max limit for a 1st and 3rd round pick compensation.

$5.25 × 6 ÷5 = $6.3M

With Tampa's cap situation, I don't see how they'd be able to match. However, I'd assume if Yzerman were planning on pulling off such a bold move, he would have a chat with BriseBois beforehand. Maybe there's a trade that could be worked out if there's a player / prospect that could be included rather than the picks... I don't know. I just think that offer sheets are a great tool to add talent, that isn't used nearly enough. 

Bergevin attempted one last year with Aho, but it was a terrible attempt. Carolina had more than enough cap space to match, and it was a more than fair contract. All he did was help Waddell get a great player signed to a great contract...